Screwfix Employee Reviews for Service Assistant

Fun Job
Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Glasgow18 September 2018
There's a lot to learn to do the job well, but the team I have is amazing and helps you through a lot. Product knowledge is essential but it is easy once you go through the book a few times.
If your face fits its great
Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cheshire6 September 2018
A typical day would be serving customers, collating orders, and putting away delivery. This would mainly be the service assistants whilst higher management tended to stand around the managers desk having a chat and a laugh, but god forbid you actually had a brief chat with a colleague yourself, that would result in a telling off or a sarcastic comment i.e. "how are you getting on with that delivery". Among the service assistants I worked with I found that there were those that were hard working and friendly, and those that were just lazy and gossipy and just liked to stand around the tills chatting rather than helping with the more physical stuff. But I found they were never "told off" as they had a good relationship with certain members of management. Rotas were changed frequently and at very very short notice, sometimes failing to actually tell the relevant staff their shift had changed. Overall I found it a difficult place to work. I do think they need to look at why they have such a massively high staff turnover of good people, and why the "lazy" "gossipy" ones are still there. They advertise as a team playing company but this is not the experience I had, I found it a more "do as I say and not as I do" and "one rule for one and one rule for another" type of experience and one I never want to repeat.
Pros
Cons
Short notice shift changes, lack of empathy, favouritism
Bad place to work
Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southampton6 June 2018
If your face doesn't fit you have zero promotion chances. Management throughout the company are very clique and they help each other out to bend the rules set. They pay slightly above minimum wage and that is the only pro to working there. I left with less confidence than when I started and had no recognition for my 8years service
Pros
Slightly above minimum wage
Cons
Everything else
Workplace
Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bury St. Edmunds15 May 2018
The workplace st screwfix is very enjoyable place. I do many different things depending on the day. The management team are always there for me and help me understand the environment I am working in, they have given me a massive confidence boost.
Pros
Paid for breaks
Cons
Long days
Fun
Part time service assistant (Former Employee) –  Middleton, Greater Manchester11 May 2018
Very fun and friendly place to work. Very understand and always supportive. Train you up well and have excellent communication skills with both the workers and their customers.
Pros
Very friendly
Cons
New perspective on a retail-type role
Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birkenhead20 March 2018
Progression within the company seems dependent on work ethic, but management will give every opportunity for you to succeed. Day to day roles vary based on daily / weekly sales, leftover delivery etc, but the core tasks are the same. Management will get their hands dirty both on the trade counter and in the warehouse, something not seen in previous roles. Salary and benefits are pretty good, especially if you do a lot of DIY and home improvements.
Pros
Salary & discount, progression
Mostly nice customers
Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, Aberdeen City18 February 2018
Early starts (7am), getting orders together. Getting on with any deliveries. Heavy lifting and climbing ladders. Serving and helping customers. Keeping workplace clean and tidy at all times. Late finishes (8pm) and the last couple of hours drag.

Management are plentiful and on the whole pretty ignorant. They are fond of telling you we're all just one big team but in reality supervisors and management do not like to get their hands dirty. They moan when it's busy and they have to serve. If your face fits you're well in there but if you're not one of the golden gang watch out. Lazy colleagues get away with murder and the hard workers get told off the minute they stop to blow their noses. Just do what you're told and keep your head down. And definitely do not show any initiative - they don't like it because they didn't think of it first.

The most enjoyable part of the job and the only thing I miss are the customers. I really enjoyed spending time with them and helping them to decide on a product.
Pros
20% discount
Cons
Late finishes
Productive from top to bortom
Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birkenhead, Merseyside24 January 2018
First company I’ve worked for where genuinely every member of staff, regardless of position, helps each other. Career progression routes are clear, and hard work is definitely rewarded.
Pros
Discount at Screwfix & B&Q, flexible working, role variety
Worst place to work
Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Shepshed, Leicestershire2 January 2018
Out of all the jobs I have had this is the worst job to work for, mainly due to the management. Poor management. Training isn’t done in the correct manner and profession. Staff just stand about chatting whilst your busy putting delivery away alone. Intimidated and loss of respect. Not challenging enough, very quiet with not many customers coming in.
Pros
Discount
Cons
8pm finishes, management, quiet, not challenging enough
Poor management
Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ellesmere Port, Cheshire27 November 2017
when i first started it was great however as time went by they became very controlling and stopped looking after workers. You get no praise for work you do
Pros
B&Q discount
Cons
Management, customers, everything
Fun workplace, good customers
Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Byfleet, Surrey9 November 2017
Enjoyed working the company for the two years that i was there for, especially the customers and my colleagues approach to the work. It also helped me widen my knowledge in certain areas in separate trades.
Pros
Sociable environment, enjoyed the customers company, good pay
Cons
Under-staffed
Good employment
Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Woking1 November 2017
Customer service role working in a team. Good management who set daily tasks for service assistants and enjoyable to work here. hardest part of the job would be finishing as late as 8pm.
Pros
Scope to work up in the company
Cons
can be disorganised
Very Productive workplace
Service assistant (Former Employee) –  Borehamwood, Hertfordshire31 October 2017
I feel working for screw fix widened my understanding of the retail industry,I feel as if I gained a variety of skills by working with the company. i would recommend the company to anyone who wants to work with a flexible company.
Okay place to work
Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bury, Greater Manchester10 October 2017
Very easy to pick up what is required to do, work life and home life is a bit of an issue, and don't tend to work around family commitments. Other than that it's okay.
Pros
Friendly
Cons
Work life and home life not a good balance
Great place to work!
Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Winchester13 September 2017
Great place to work for all ages can be physically demanding in the first few days but it becomes routine. Supportive management and career opportunities and advancement possibilities as long as you are prepared to learn.
Pros
Free hot drinks and staff discount.
Cons
Lots of stairs, up and down all day!
Good payment and easy job
Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Daventry, Northamptonshire24 July 2017
Each day I went to work I knew what to do. I learnt how to process orders at a till and accept card and cash payments, I also learnt how to pick orders and put delivery away in a warehouse. The management was terrible to start off with but then it got better and even though we have done better in sales, Screwfix Daventry is under stable management. The hardest part of the job was helping customers with question they had because I had no knowledge of plumbing or electrics. But the most enjoyable part was being able to go in get on with my work, have a laugh and finish mostly on time.
Pros
20% off Screwfix
Cons
When asking for extra hours I was declined even though they were available.
The staff turnaround ran into double figures within months of being there.
Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cornwall6 July 2017
Shocking company to work for. If you ever go into meetings always record them, they lie, bully and demoralise people, I also had physical and mental abuse. Disgraceful
Pros
20% discount
Cons
untrustworthy bullies
Not a good place to work unless you have a good manager
Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Slough31 May 2017
Changing managers every year, if you work full time sometimes they get you to work 9-10 days in a raw. You don't always get 2 days off together, the rota keeps changing even onces its up it will change, they don't care about their staff, theres no life balance in this job. They could have all the full-timer working monday-friday and part-timers can do the weekend. But i guess they don't want to use their common sense. When you make a complaint about a manager they sweep it under the carpet, so if you're getting bullied by a manager nothing will be done.
Pros
Pay and staff you work with
Cons
You have no life balance, changing managers, short staffed
okay for a part time gig
Service Assistant (one month temporary contract) (Former Employee) –  Hove, UK25 May 2017
wouldn't personally advise this place as they would mistreat their staff expecting them to stay until midnight if needed and still be back at work for 6am the day after only giving you 6 hours between shifts as well as if the manager did not have a personal life friendship with an employee he would make you work the worst shifts possible as well as make false accusations about you as an employee with no evidence when requested to back his accusations up.
Pros
pay
Cons
management and worst hours ever
Love my job.
Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  DAVENTRY, UK14 May 2017
Love my job, gutted to be leaving but I leave with firm friends and excellent experience. Depends on your manager if you'll like the job. My managers excellent so it makes going to work not a chore.