Screwfix Employee Reviews for Sales Assistant

Fun Workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Walton-on-Thames22 June 2018
An active workplace and my peers in the workplace really reinforced how enjoyable it is to work for the company.
The unique design of the shop/warehouse taught me new things I'd never come to learn elsewhere.
Nice place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Woodford Green19 June 2018
Its a nice place to work. In a typical day, you would restock the warehouse and serve customers. The culture of the workplace is relaxed, everyone helps each other out.
Pros
Salary is quite high for retail, friendly environment
Cons
Flexible contract (unless you specify otherwise)
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Redditch14 June 2018
Screwfix enabled me to have contact with the public. Customer Service was a big role as I was on the tills helping customers find what they needed to make them happy. All the staff were lovely, meaning I was able to have a laugh.
horrible place to work
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Thetford, Norfolk7 June 2018
a typical say would me, management being lazy, standing round chatting while the sales assistants act like their little minions doing all the work.
Management do not want to listen to anyones opinions or complaints.
The job isn't hard at all...it usually just habit you don't have to use your brain at all.
the hardest part of the job is having to deal with all the stupidity from the management.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the lunch time, when you can just be by yourself and away from everyone else.
The pay its bad either!
Pros
pay isn't bad
Cons
everything else
Good Company to work for
SALES ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands22 May 2018
Good company to work for as they work around you a lot. All the staff in the company are friendly and welcoming and make you feel as a family. However, it would be nice to have more hours!!!!
A great way to obtain a range of customer service experience
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Woodford Green5 May 2018
I had to take on, a lot of problem solving situations and dealing with a huge range of different customers. This helps push my customer service skills further and allowed me not only to develop and new set of skills but the training and experience i need to handle difficult situation and take on a huge amount of responsibility.
Pros
Proper breaks when on long hour shifts
Cons
Is difficult working there while being at Uni or College
Avoid job at all costs
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hailsham, East Sussex25 April 2018
I couldn’t advise for you to stay clear of this job more if I tried !

I have never known a company to bully so many staff out of jobs

SOUTH EAST definitely avoid

The intentions are good and if they followed the job role everyone would probably enjoy working but management are lazy area managers are useless and think they are superior and don’t need to greet staff .
Pros
Free dewalt boots
Cons
Poor management
Great
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Haverhill24 April 2018
Screwfix is fun, welcomes everybody and it's a great place to build and work as a team. Great pay, Flexible hours. Screwfix works around you, which is great if you have a busy lifestyle outside of work.
Pros
Good Hours
Worst
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wood Green, Greater London23 April 2018
Great money, easy job, probably the WORST and LEAST professional place to have ever worked at. Beyond horrible. You'd think you wouldn't mind it as long as you get paid but it gets to a point where its ridiculous.
Pros
pay
Cons
the manager makes it HORRIFIC
Worked here for 2 years
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eastleigh, Hampshire27 March 2018
Although I wasn’t expecting to ever work in a place like Screwfix, I found them to be very different from your normal retail shops. I loved it!! But had to leave as I was moving up north and, couldn’t get a transfer. Gutted that I’ve not been able to find a vacancy yet.
Work life balance ... brilliant, suited me perfectly and, I was able to do a little extra too if I wanted. Helped out on weekends when needed.
Management were good to me and others, few had a lot of experience in management, the ones that didn’t were getting the experience they needed.
I loved my time in this store and can only encourage people needing a job, with good hours, good pay, flexibility, and a great team ethos, then go to Screwfix. Staff make you feel great, and worth your weight in gold. Miss it!
Pros
Flexibility, team ethos, building a new career, management.
Cons
Cold in the branch in the winter, hot in the summer...
Awful
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  High wycombe9 March 2018
This has got to be on of the worst jobs i have ever had!
My managers did basically nothing but stand a a desk for 8 hours a day, thats if they bothered to turn up at all!
Letters of concern for being 4 minuets late and heven forbid should you be sick.
With little support from managers and no positive motivation its easy to see why staff turn over is so high.
Pros
Nope
Cons
Everything, even the staff coffee is cr**
fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ely1 March 2018
• responsible for dealing with customers directly
• Cashier skills
• enabled me to develop skills such as multitasking and time management whilst delivering excellent customer service
avoid at all costs
sales assistant (Former Employee) –  High Wycombe26 February 2018
This place is good for someone willing to work part-time. I hated working there full-time, very repetitive tasks. I don't think people are fairly treated, in fact they are being USED at all times i.e. you have to arrive 15min before the store opens, and you don't get paid for that. You only get a lunch break, so forget about coffee during your working hours, forget anything anyway lol The management is focused mainly on profit. Weekends are super busy, and to be honest, if you get weekend off, you can consider yourself lucky. There is a lot of favoritism going on, and guys are treated way better than a female employees. I wouldn't recommend this job at all.
Pros
shopping discount
Cons
lack of room for development and growth, boring
Best job.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sidcup23 February 2018
Genuinely sad to have left this job and 100% wish i could go back there to be honest. The team were absolutely amazing, the work was great, serving customers and picking orders from the warehouse, putting away the delivery, processing online orders was mainly it. Extremely enjoyable job, definitely recommend.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Early shifts start at 5:30am.
Great team, bad management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Consett3 January 2018
I worked at Screwfix for almost two years and still would have been there if not for my Store Manager, he was nothing but a bully and is on a big power trip.

The team at Consett are great and the benefits at the company also, with them having a Pension Scheme, Share Save and 5 weeks worth of Holidays with a lot of over time.
Pros
Overtime and Team
Cons
Bullying and Nasty Manager
Relaxed atmosphere most of the time
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Shepton Mallet, Somerset30 December 2017
Flexible hours to suit. Above minimum wage. It is in a good catchment area to travel to and from the surrounding towns and villages. 20% discount in all screwfix stores and 10% in B&Q
Poor management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Accrington, Lancashire29 December 2017
Working here is easy, but they're very picky with who they employ. Internal disputes are handled poorly and the managers set themselves far away from the employee.
When I worked here, I became the victim of discrimination when some of the staff decided they don't like working with me instead of carrying on or trying to work with me I was instead slammed with allegations of harassment and abuse. The managers were not interested in sorting this out they instead elected to dismiss me as fast as humanly possible.
The pay and benefits are ok, only marginally better than average but the job feels insecure and they insist that you keep to the same work arrangements as originally agreed on upon their job offer.
The proverbial dangling carrot is popular amongst the staff when discussing internal prospects.
Pros
Great customers, employee benefits and discount
Cons
Lazy management and lack of communication between management and employees
Every Store is Different
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London28 December 2017
Well all reviews are honest I hope so as another honest person here is mine. I have worked for many several stores for over 10 years and everyone is different. Whether a Sales assistant, supervisor, Manager, Branch manager or part of the trade team, every role is challenging. Its how the team is that either makes it a great store to work or the worst ever. Yep it's true some managers are lazy. It's about finding the right management team and store to make it the best place to work. I've been through alot with Screwfix with personal issues, some have helped and others have not (No longer they work for us). But overall it's a interesting place to work, everyday is different. Customers are great, the odd few who are not, but the next customer will make your day if your into providing excellent customer service. Colleagues: well some are workers and some are lazy, the lazy ones you need to stop talking to them and the workers are your best friends. We work with each other more than we see our own family so those who do poo all can spin, so the reviews about back stabbing is very true but only because they allow it. We should as good employees wash out the junk who make us work hard. If only the management could see this. I have seen some honest people sacked in management and those who cheat still working there. If I spent an hour with the CEO, Sky News would have breaking News that Screwfix have sacked 100 plus employees for gross misconduct. Apart from that, Its a great place to work when you find the right store and MAKE the right team. 11 years on, I'm still here.
Pros
Customers make your day
Cons
Need to be flexible more on Rota
Mangement will make you feel little, gets boring / repetaive
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Swansea, Swansea16 December 2017
I'm currently working for Screwfix alongside Universtiy,

If you working in the main store of your area expect it to be busy.

Learning at the job can be frustrating at times as there are so many things to take into account.

The management is last to help you out and the first to give you disciplinary action and make you feel little as possible.

The hardest part is having expectations set very high by managers

If you have good communication skills you will have a great time on SBS (shopfloor) and will make friends easily with your colleagues just be careful of the mangers
Pros
Good work force
Cons
Pay is poor and unreasonable for the level of work required for partime and full time
productive and enjoyable
Trade sales assistant (Current Employee) –  Leamington Spa, Warwickshire12 December 2017
enjoyable work environment friendly staff hours can be long as store closes at 8pm weekdays unfortunately management work hours around what suits them and not what helps others or company needs