Screwfix Employee Reviews for Sales Assistant

Very friendly, fun place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oswestry26 October 2018
Typical day at work would be taking customers orders on the till,taking payment, then going and collecting the items they wanted
There are always things to be learnt there as hundreds of different products there with different shapes/ measurements.
The hardest part of the job would be if it was a really busy day and not enough time to collect orders.
The most enjoyable part of the day would just be the whole shift as everyone was friendly so we all had a laugh together whilst doing our jobs.
Great work place
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol16 October 2018
I have worked for Screwfix for a few years and found it to be an enjoyable, welcoming place to work. The only downside was the process of transferring.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newry16 October 2018
The staff and customers are always great. Easy, relaxing job. never too stressful. busy enough but not mental to the point of being worn out. Great staff discount.
Pros
easy work and the staff discount
Cons
lunches are confusing. not alway great shift hours.
Productive and busy.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  West London, Greater London8 October 2018
My job at Screwfix involved me normally working behind the till taking customers orders and giving them my best personal advice on products and recommendations. If not then I would be collecting the customers orders at a efficient rate so that the customers did not have to queue up for long periods of time.
Pros
Lots of interaction, days went very quick.
Cons
Occasional nasty customers.
Poor place to work
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  South wale5 October 2018
Terrible place to work, one big click and that seems to be the ‘norm’ in most stores judging by these reviews. Also the norm seems to be some of us work hard while the others just sit there and chat while getting away with it, Try and avoid, management are terribly poor, and I’ve only worked at my store for four months and I’ve seen three members of staff leave already 😂
Pros
Slightly over NMW
Cons
Terrible unprofessional management
Stay away from Winchester
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winchester, Hampshire11 September 2018
What can I say.
We have had a new manager in June and I ended up working for a different company overnight. Without actually leaving.
How a company can have a manager like this working for them is beyond me. Rude and abrupt. Power mad and controlling. No team spirit, no people skills. So many staff members leaving or left. We even lost a cleaner who doesn’t even work for Screwfix.
I loved my job, and the old management team. Now I find myself on Indeed looking for a job. This can not be right.
Pros
Customers and colleagues
Cons
Some management
decent first job
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham6 September 2018
working at screwfix is a decent first job but management don't care for the individuals much & serious situations are not always dealt with accordingly. it's good as a part time gig but not career
awesome team
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Truro4 September 2018
lovely people and a lovely place to work for. always had fun and we all made such a great team. great pay for age especially for and 18 year old so that was a bonus too.
What is The Point of Your Handbook
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greater London31 August 2018
As others have said you can have a laugh with customers and at work. But even after a hard day, stand around for second and managers are all over you. No problem with hard work, but the pay is just not worth the hassle and how tired you can get on some days.

They care about targets more than people, when they should care about both.

They give you a nice shiny handbook and a welcome pack, but then months down the line you realize it's all just promises with no substance whatever.
Pros
You can have a laugh with customers who don't care about the politics in store
Cons
Discount
Not a Serious job opportunity better for younger people.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bedford, Bedfordshire26 August 2018
Advertises home/work balance but force overtime and weekends on you. Average hourly rate. Doesn't mention sbs in interview but wanted staff to basically cold call customer's at the till with no training. Would change shifts without notice, constantly having to take note of hours changing. Couldn't serve customer without screwfix card unless authorised by a manager what my personal opinion is wrong as a lot of public didn't want details taken, job itself is okay but much is needed to be attended to within management and shifts. Lots of young staff who don't give same effort within the job making it difficult for everyone else. Would recommend for anyone still in education and not to be taken as a serious full time job unless willing to go through management what is paid poorly.
Pros
Security.
Cons
Average rate of pay. Not home balanced job.
Flexible
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cornwall21 August 2018
Good company to work for. Flexible with shifts. Lots of benefits of working for the company. Keen to help their staff advance as they have training available for those who want it.
Not bad but not great either
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Essex20 July 2018
As people have said, if your face doesn’t fit you won’t get promoted. If you do, you’ll probably get demoted. Management have bent rules and got away with it and sometimes it creates the downfall of service assistants. Work life balance isn’t great, working most weekends. If you get early shifts it’s ok but if you don’t, don’t expect a life. Overall pay is good and above minimum wage. But management take it too seriously and can be too strict for what it is. Recognition doesn’t exist coming from someone with 4 years of being in the company.
Pros
Good pay, nice customers, qualifications
Cons
Work life balance isn’t great, management take it too seriously
Family team and fun
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wokingham19 July 2018
Work at Screwfix, your team Turn to family and you have a laugh learn all the products were having a joke with the customers regulars customers right environment to working
Dont work here if you have a family.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brighouse, West Yorkshire16 July 2018
Like most places it as it's ups and downs, but don't expect the management to understand you need a balance between work and family life, especially if they don't have kids themselves. I was frequently spoken down too and made to feel like rubbish, if I had a problem that wasn't work related and needed time off I was either not allowed it or given a warning. It was made clear that if you had commitments outside of work your chances of progressing within the company were 0%.. there was an them and us feeling between regular staff and the management, they could take there breaks whenever they wanted, including how many they had and how long they took, where's us sales assistants were told when we could take our breaks and god help us if we had a minute over the time they gave us. We wasn't allowed our phones on us but yet management were allowed too, they're excuse is it's work related but 9 times out of 10 they were on Facebook or Snapchat. They could also come and go as they please usually even tho the shifts were set. As for Rotas don't take them serious as they get changed all the time even if you don't know about it, and if it doesn't suit you then basically it's you're problem. When it came to actually working us sales assistants were made to do everything while the managers just stood about either on there phones or looking at a computer screen, they never helped with putting stock away as it was seen as beneath them. From my time at screwfix iv learnt one thing and that's the more your paid the less you have to do.
Pros
Most of the staff.
Cons
Management.
Supportive Team Members
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Didcot, Oxfordshire6 July 2018
Screwfix is a great place to work if you have fine customer service skills, you are talking to customers and other members or staff both formally and informally every day. All staff are friendly and there is a good team working atmosphere.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Too Hot
Good for students
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London5 July 2018
flexibility allows me to balance my work and study commitments. Very friendly atmosphere with good pay. Role is sales and so targets need to be met but manager support is very good.
Pros
Good team
Cons
Gets very busy
One of the better places to work..
SALES ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Clacton-on-Sea23 June 2018
A bit hit and miss, depending on which store you end up working at. Overall they are a good company to work for. Different managers do things in different ways, hence the hit and miss comment.
Fun Workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Walton-on-Thames22 June 2018
An active workplace and my peers in the workplace really reinforced how enjoyable it is to work for the company.
The unique design of the shop/warehouse taught me new things I'd never come to learn elsewhere.
Nice place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Woodford Green19 June 2018
Its a nice place to work. In a typical day, you would restock the warehouse and serve customers. The culture of the workplace is relaxed, everyone helps each other out.
Pros
Salary is quite high for retail, friendly environment
Cons
Flexible contract (unless you specify otherwise)
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Redditch14 June 2018
Screwfix enabled me to have contact with the public. Customer Service was a big role as I was on the tills helping customers find what they needed to make them happy. All the staff were lovely, meaning I was able to have a laugh.