Screwfix Employee Reviews in London

Good for students
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London5 July 2018
flexibility allows me to balance my work and study commitments. Very friendly atmosphere with good pay. Role is sales and so targets need to be met but manager support is very good.
Pros
Good team
Cons
Gets very busy
Good working enviorment
Duty Manager (Current Employee) –  London7 February 2018
Great working environment. Support from the manager all the time. Interesting tasks and a lots to learn from every difficult situation. Colleagues are very supporting as well.
Worst job I have ever had
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  London chingford14 January 2018
I work at a branch in London so we open at 6am and close at 10pm.
This would be ok if the managers were fair but my current manager has made friends with a group of students who work there and they get all the best shifts. If any of them want to swap shifts then its absolutely fine but if anyone else if they ask to swap shifts, its "No we dont allow shift swaps". They also get all the best jobs while others like me get to bring in and put out delivery etc. Yoo choiceu are basically told when you can take your holidays too. No choice in the matter.
I would say that if you have a good management team you might be OK working for Screwfix but maybe Im just unlucky. There is the manager who is trying to manage people out that he dont like and the assistant manager just sits at a desk doing absoulutely nothing unless its a bit of paperwork that is absolutely necessary. Some staff are allowed to not turn up or continuously be late and thats fine they can get away with it.
So basically if you have a decent manager and can put up with early starts and late finishes you might be fine but personally its the worst job I have ever had and I am frantically looking for other work.
Pros
20% staff discount
Cons
Early starts, late closes, awful management
Every Store is Different
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London28 December 2017
Well all reviews are honest I hope so as another honest person here is mine. I have worked for many several stores for over 10 years and everyone is different. Whether a Sales assistant, supervisor, Manager, Branch manager or part of the trade team, every role is challenging. Its how the team is that either makes it a great store to work or the worst ever. Yep it's true some managers are lazy. It's about finding the right management team and store to make it the best place to work. I've been through alot with Screwfix with personal issues, some have helped and others have not (No longer they work for us). But overall it's a interesting place to work, everyday is different. Customers are great, the odd few who are not, but the next customer will make your day if your into providing excellent customer service. Colleagues: well some are workers and some are lazy, the lazy ones you need to stop talking to them and the workers are your best friends. We work with each other more than we see our own family so those who do poo all can spin, so the reviews about back stabbing is very true but only because they allow it. We should as good employees wash out the junk who make us work hard. If only the management could see this. I have seen some honest people sacked in management and those who cheat still working there. If I spent an hour with the CEO, Sky News would have breaking News that Screwfix have sacked 100 plus employees for gross misconduct. Apart from that, Its a great place to work when you find the right store and MAKE the right team. 11 years on, I'm still here.
Pros
Customers make your day
Cons
Need to be flexible more on Rota
busy day
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London26 September 2017
accepting delivery, then scanning items and putting into allotted bays in the racking, taking customer orders and picking and packing, sorting through the next day orders and putting into allotted boxes
Pros
good company to work for
Cons
long hard days
varied place to work
Assistant (Current Employee) –  South East London, Greater London5 September 2017
no two days are the same , theres either two many staff or not enough rotas need a bit of fine tunning on a regular basis , computer systerms are regularly crashing which is a pain
Pros
flexible
Cons
two many management staff
screwfix
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  london10 July 2017
my job at screwfix is a repetitive job, each day i go in, i know what is expected of me and what i need to do and what needs to be done.
the job itself is not hard, the management team are very helpful and help out with what we do.

The staff are like family, we all get on and help each other out when needed. The work environment is friendly and the team and management are very approachable, we go out as a team when we all can.

i dont think there is a hard job at screwfix, i feel it depends on how you can deal with the situation, ofcourse you get difficult customers but knowing how to handle that will make work life easy, yes it can be stressfull but thats why you have the help of other colleagues and management.

i get on with my colleagues so that makes a difference in going to work, knowing im comfortable and happy and get on with the staff.
Great plack to work
Trade Sales (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London14 May 2017
Spent many years in this company and hoping to return soon. Working within the trade side, dealing with specialist tradesman and meeting KPI's is all part of the fun..
OK if the store has a good manager
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  London23 March 2017
Working at Screwfix is OK if your colleagues and management are good, or you can find yourself running around doing everything while theyre all round the managers desk chatting.
Hours awful (open at 6am close at 10pm) so you either have to be in at 6 or you start at 2 and finsish at 10.
Wages not too bad for retail.
Pros
wages ok
Cons
Early starts late nights
Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London6 March 2017
I have now been working for screwfix for 4 years on a part time basis and have to say its a really good place to work as every one is treated with respect, the company has many rules that apply to the job role making it a safe place to work, also the rules ensure every thing and every one runs 100% smooth.
Help is at hand when needed and moving up in various roles can be achieved very easily.
The job it self can be repetitive as you might find your self putting away stock quite often or you could be on the tills helping out customers but the pay is good so that not really some thing to complain about.
Pros
start as early as 5:30am
Cons
could finish as late as 10pm
good
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London22 February 2017
Lovely place to work at. very innovative and fun. easy to learn as you perform ur duties. i have really enjoyed my job here
Pros
2 breaks 1 paid
Cons
long hours of standing
Fun place to work!
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London22 January 2017
A typical day at Screwfix for me would be to put away the daily delivery, making sure everything is put in its correct location in the warehouse. I would also mainly spend my time serving customers and picking their orders from the warehouse. I would help the customers find the items they needed in the catalogue and would advise them on the best things to buy.

I made a lot of friends at this job, as most of them were studying at the time, like me. I learnt a lot about customer service and working with the public from this role, as I was working with people all day.

The hardest part of the job was the physical labour. Day to day I was lifting radiators and heavy objects from the delivery cages, onto the warehouse shelves. At first I found this very difficult but soon got used to it, and would always have someone to assist me.

The most enjoyable part of the job was building relationships with the regular customers we had. I got to know many of the customers well as they would regularly come in to shop for supplies.
Pros
Fun environemt, socialble job
Cons
Heavy lifting, shift work
Would not reccomend
Asistant Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London14 January 2017
The staff were a pleasure but management is very cliquey. Unfortunately it goes all the way up to area management. No reward for hard work. Have to be friends with management to get anywhere.
fun workplace hard to excel
Sales Assistant I (Former Employee) –  london9 November 2016
working in screwfix is a team thing, if somebody is not pulling their weight weather it be from the management side or the sales assistant sides it will show through
Pros
wear jeans
Cons
no fixed rota
Mixed experience dependant on branch
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London24 September 2016
I have worked in two different Screwfix branches in my time and both share pros and cons but they also differ highly.
My first store had a high lack of progression yet had amazing co-workers and supportive managers.
However in my second branch there are multiple opportunities for progressing and the store is very organised but I struggle to build a connection quite like my first team.

The hours in my second store are appalling for a staff member who is also a university student and I am given very little home/work balance from my second store.
Pros
Good Experience, Salary, Encouragement from Management
Cons
Flexibility, Home/Work Balance
Heading in the wrong direction
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  London11 July 2016
Once a great place to work, as the Company have grown they have quickly lost their family/care about our people feel. Wouldn't change the time here, loved my time and learnt so much.
assistant manager (Former Employee) –  London25 January 2016
I learned a lot at Screwfix. Helpful management and great team to work with. Committed to trained and develop their staff and friendly environment.
Pros
20% staff discount
Cons
trading hours timing
Interesting
Cash and card sales (Former Employee) –  London2 November 2015
I enjoyed working at Screwfix for the most part. I had a very supportive manager and the whole team was also interested in having a laugh but also dedicated to giving customers the best customer service possible.

i would definitely recommend this to a freind.
Depending of what kind of staff you have determines your work life
Sales Advisor & Supervisor (Current Employee) –  London, ENG17 October 2015
Work should be commission based because its sales heavy. Not necessary to work as a team. Holidays are fine. Work hours are terrible within London.
Pros
Pay is good within London
Cons
Unsociable hours
Branch Manager, London
Branch manager (Current Employee) –  London3 September 2015
Been working for this company for over 4 years now.

Started out great but in the last 6 months it has gone completely down the pan.

As a branch manager more and more has been put on our plate but with no extra resources to do the job.

Stores in London are now open 6-10pm Monday to Friday with Saturday 7-6. Even though open much longer no extra hours are given to man the store - actually as of a couple weeks back they've been cut! This leaves us massively stretched which adds pressure to all staff in store. Of course who works longer to man the gaps? The management team.

Even with the longer opening hours we have to have 1 member of staff on the shopfloor 8-6 to "greet and help" customers. No extra staffing for that so it's even tighter out the back.

In theory the management team are glorified service assistants.

We used to have 1 in 3 weekends off....not now. It's alternative weekends however, with holidays it's now virtually back to back weekends.

Morale is very low amongst the management teams that I know off 5 members of management and 2 branch managers that have left my area in 2 months. More are going.

So if you want to work 10-12 hours a day on a BELOW average industry salary and be constantly stretched to breaking point PLUS having to answer store queries on the one day off you do get join Screwfix.

Oh and the bonus you do get barely covers all the overtime you have to do.
Pros
Job security, great store team
Cons
Company lost its way, long hours, awful IT