Screwfix Employee Reviews

Awful place to work
Picker (Former Employee) –  Lichfield4 November 2018
I worked at Wincanton for nearly a year, and in all my time I have never experienced such a horrendous management team.

I was constantly bullied by a certain manager and no matter how much I reported him, nothing was done. I am shocked and disappointed in Wincanton for the managers they continue to employ and how much they disregard employees. No wonder they have such a high staff turnover.
The managers play favouritism with colleagues, whilst penalising colleagues they don’t particularly like.. very unfair and this is in no way to run a warehouse!

Stay away from Lichfield Wincanton!! It is poisonous!!
Pros
Made friends with colleagues.
Cons
Very friendly, fun place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oswestry26 October 2018
Typical day at work would be taking customers orders on the till,taking payment, then going and collecting the items they wanted
There are always things to be learnt there as hundreds of different products there with different shapes/ measurements.
The hardest part of the job would be if it was a really busy day and not enough time to collect orders.
The most enjoyable part of the day would just be the whole shift as everyone was friendly so we all had a laugh together whilst doing our jobs.
Never a dull day
Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Par25 October 2018
Screwefix was my first ever job and i couldnt of ask for a better place to start my working carear.

A typical day at screwfix would always start with a warm welocme from all staff members and always been asked if you wanted a drink before you started your shift also you would get the same as u finish ur shift.

i leanernt so much from working from screwfix not just about how to preform at the best of my ability but also made me a better perosn.

one of the most enjoyable parts of the job was making sure that the customer left with everything they needed even if they didnt know themselves also hearing that we gave one of the best customer service around.
It's an ok place to work
Part Time Service Assistant Trade Counter (Former Employee) –  Bridgwater25 October 2018
It is an ok place to work, it is fast and ever changing. A typical day can be quiet or busy depending on the time of day. I have learned about the products they sell and the tools they have on offer. Management is ok but not the best I've worked for. The work culture is ok providing your face fits or not but sometimes you can have a laugh with the staff depending who it is. The hardest part of the job is when you have to dig out radiators if they are not correctly placed. The most part I enjoyed about the job is when you get to know the regular customers who are always happy.
Pros
a 20 min break, Free parking
Cons
unhappy supervisor and kept changing shifts without notification to staff
Good company to work for.
Team Leader/Duty Manager (Current Employee) –  Sittingbourne, Kent24 October 2018
A good fast paced fun company to work for. The people you meet will be like a family to you. Can get quite repetitive as only so much you can do differently as a sales assistant, but the great atmosphere helps you get through the day.
Avoid Avoid Avoid
Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Elgin, Moray21 October 2018
Day to day job is pretty boring alot of standing about doing nothing.

Management are useless, always told customers are first but when it's busy and they are the only ones to help they won't. They will also break the rules when it comes to disciplining staff, if they like you you'll get away with so much, if they 'dislike' you then you'll be hounded until you are forced to leave over miniscule things.

Constant 'work place politcs'. Actually the worst for people back stabbing and criticising each other.

Pay is awful. Always promised a good pay rise as apparently they've messed up with the rise of the living wage. Never happened in the time I was there. Even McDonald's pays more.

Screwfix promises a good career path but there is no support from anybody to guide you through.

If your looking for a change of job but need plenty of money. Avoid this place as you are promised overtime but it is only given to people who they like and not shared fairly with the rest of staff. To be honest you don't get laid enough to deal with the day to day huffle of working at Screwfix
Pros
Local
Cons
Bad pay, terrible management, too much huffle from customers, work place politics
Easy job decent money (for retail)
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury, Shropshire20 October 2018
Prioritize shoppers over staff.....
Always something to do because no-else can be bothered.
Pay is over minimum wage
No-one gets a contract over 20hrs unless you get promoted (which is rare).
Pros
Sometimes you get overtime.
Cons
Not enough hours.
Great work place
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol16 October 2018
I have worked for Screwfix for a few years and found it to be an enjoyable, welcoming place to work. The only downside was the process of transferring.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newry16 October 2018
The staff and customers are always great. Easy, relaxing job. never too stressful. busy enough but not mental to the point of being worn out. Great staff discount.
Pros
easy work and the staff discount
Cons
lunches are confusing. not alway great shift hours.
Promoted and then left to struggle.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ipswich, Suffolk15 October 2018
I was part of a team opening the newest branch. The person they had employed as my team leader walked out before the store had even opened, I was then approached and asked if I wanted to be supervisor. I applied and emphasised that I hadn’t had a supervisory role before and that I’d need training. I received very little. It was to the point where I was emotionally drained because I just wasn’t getting the help I needed. When it became known that I was THINKING about looking for a new job my then manager didn’t hesitate to pull me over to the calendar and tell me my last day should be after my next holiday, she then proceeded to arrange my exit review, all of this before I had even handed in my notice. I felt a lot like it was constructive dismissal but as I’d only been working there for a matter of months I was powerless to do anything legally. It was a real shame because I was so excited to work there!
Pros
Good pay.
Cons
Management unwilling to help.

Want to know more about Screwfix?

Ask a question
Great Pay, Poor Management
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Stafford15 October 2018
Very boring and repetitive but great pay for an easy job. Management are terrible, don't care about the wellbeing of the permanent workers, extremely petty and tend to pick on people over nothing. Absolute awful management to work under. Ok job for short term but you'll find yourself feeling very frustrated if you work here a while.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Awful management, very boring job
its a great place to work in
Retail Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Scotland13 October 2018
Although i have only been with them 1 week but if what i have seen and done in this week is to go by im in for one of the best jobs i have had, i love the culture, customers know that you are new and have a laugh with you , the training manager is good, hardest part of the job is checking the tote boxes as its hard to locate quantities of stock, any stock with more than 4 should be bagged this would make it easier. I just enjoy the fact that i actually enjoy getting up and going to work.
Pros
great work atmosphere, great colleagues
Cons
06:30 starts.
Don’t bother
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  South East London, Greater London13 October 2018
Wouldn’t bother at all
Mangment don’t train you probably they leave it to others and then slag new people down
If your full time you get special treatment
Part time people do everything
No team ethic
Just don’t bother
Pros
Pay
Cons
Loads
Good
Trade Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Pontypridd, Rhondda Cynon Taff11 October 2018
Good place to work. Quick succession rate but theres no movement once you make to brancj manager level or in fact even as ASM due to there not being BM vacancies
Productive and busy.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  West London, Greater London8 October 2018
My job at Screwfix involved me normally working behind the till taking customers orders and giving them my best personal advice on products and recommendations. If not then I would be collecting the customers orders at a efficient rate so that the customers did not have to queue up for long periods of time.
Pros
Lots of interaction, days went very quick.
Cons
Occasional nasty customers.
Poor place to work
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  South wale5 October 2018
Terrible place to work, one big click and that seems to be the ‘norm’ in most stores judging by these reviews. Also the norm seems to be some of us work hard while the others just sit there and chat while getting away with it, Try and avoid, management are terribly poor, and I’ve only worked at my store for four months and I’ve seen three members of staff leave already 😂
Pros
Slightly over NMW
Cons
Terrible unprofessional management
Nice place
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Lichfield, Staffordshire4 October 2018
A tipical Day at work was starting with the brief, where the managers where talking about the plans of the Day . After that every worker was going to his own post and start working. The Day was ended with another brief where we where listening the manager advice about improving eventualy mistakes.
Pros
Free water, radio on
Cons
Radio of
disappointed
lost cause (Former Employee) –  birmigham23 September 2018
Disappointed.
Shame that such a well performing Business is allowed to mask a number of significant flaws in the operation!
Amateur, and at times, grossly unprofessional senior managers!
Very subjective Business – if your face fits, you’re in, if not, well you know the rest! If it doesn’t, you’ll be ignored, after they try to ‘remove’ you, on the grounds you may not be a good fit for the Business! Should you survive, then you’ll get mandatory visits only, the big cheeses will be shown to those little cheeses with a ‘future’! In the meantime, beware, some of the little cheeses will be waiting for you to make a mistake, which will likely be a] recorded and b] reported; which they are encouraged to do, as they are led to believe this provides a rite of passage to a big cheese.
Junior managers afforded responsibility and decision making, well outside the bounds of their experience; consequently, their communications serve to provide further irritation, as unsurprisingly, they fail to discharge that responsibility effectively!
If you’ve worked in retail and experienced EPOS, you’ll hate the platforms in use here – clunky, and prone to failure, regularly, you’ll lose count of the occasions you have to apologise face to face with your customers! No commercial data either, as a consequence, you’ll be counting forever to establish sales data; and have to rely on published data via 3rd parties.
Too much paperwork, duplication, too many passwords [I had 14 last count], too frequently amended, too often locked out of a screen or platform due to password expiry times set by Kingfisher.
  more...
I’d say the same for the IT facilities, and the background support, unpredictable, unreliable and often untimely.
No ownership of a ‘problem’, so if you call the central office and speak to the ‘wrong’ colleague, they won’t find or point you towards the ‘right’ colleague; as a result, you’ll have to start your enquiry again!
Expanded way too quickly – taken the same broken systems for the ride, put way too much pressure on the support personnel! The colleague base has become stretched and subsequently the knowledge pool diluted!
Regularly having to ‘lend’ someone to somewhere else, pressure driven by too few hours and an over complication of task in general, there’s barely sufficient resource to deliver daily basics!
Micro-management, beyond reason!
The Business claims to have ‘great culture’ which it seeks to constantly remind us all of.
I didn’t experience this ‘great culture’; perhaps I had immunity!
This is just a brief summary of my findings, NOT anyone else’s. Furthermore, I wouldn’t suggest it’s a bad place to work, since many seem to enjoy it. But you only need 1 person to suggest it isn’t that good to justify an enquiry, should the Board members care sufficiently, after all, should the culture be that good, everyone would enjoy it, would they not!! Or is it just ‘lip service’!
I note around 15% or so of leavers [76] prepared to pass comment on this site have rated Screwfix at 1.
Not just me then!
Perhaps if just one of the above mentioned senior managers could bring themselves to say thanks for just 1 of over a thousand working days, let alone wish me well for the future….my mistake, I got paid every month!!!!!!
Disappointed!
Good luck!
Pros
my colleagues were outstanding, every one of them
Cons
everything else
Productive,challenging but fun.
Trade Supervisor (Current Employee) –  East London, Greater London22 September 2018
Very good place to work as there is chance to develop and enhance your skills with different workshops and also the work environment is fun where you could talk with your colleagues and also get the work done. The team environment is brilliant.
Pros
Discounts and Wages. Flexible
Cons
very early/late opening and closing times.
Structured and encouraging
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dartford21 September 2018
If you don't mind long hours, with London stores opening at 6am and closing at 10pm, a career at Screwfix can work out well for you as long as you have the right manager.
There are lots of courses available to help your advance your career, and team feedback is encouraged.
Most of the people I worked with were great.
The main reason I left was because I was always tired. To arrive in time to open the shop at 6am I was having to wake up at 4am, and after a late shift I was not arriving home until almost midnight.
The job can be physically demanding as you are working with heavy tools and trade supplies (including very heavy radiators and bags of cement for example) in a warehouse environment.
PPE was supplied and I always felt safe due to the obvious attention paid to health and safety in the workplace.
They pay was pretty good compared to most other similar jobs.
Pros
Sense of job stability. Health and safety awareness makes you feel safe.
Cons
Early starts/late finishes.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Screwfix. Our community is ready to answer.