Screwfix Employee Reviews

Structured and encouraging
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dartford21 September 2018
If you don't mind long hours, with London stores opening at 6am and closing at 10pm, a career at Screwfix can work out well for you as long as you have the right manager.
There are lots of courses available to help your advance your career, and team feedback is encouraged.
Most of the people I worked with were great.
The main reason I left was because I was always tired. To arrive in time to open the shop at 6am I was having to wake up at 4am, and after a late shift I was not arriving home until almost midnight.
The job can be physically demanding as you are working with heavy tools and trade supplies (including very heavy radiators and bags of cement for example) in a warehouse environment.
PPE was supplied and I always felt safe due to the obvious attention paid to health and safety in the workplace.
They pay was pretty good compared to most other similar jobs.
Pros
Sense of job stability. Health and safety awareness makes you feel safe.
Cons
Early starts/late finishes.
Not treated as a person
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Stafford, Staffordshire20 September 2018
The managers don't communicate! Not a place for a career but okay for a temporary solution. KPIs are ridiculous. Not a relaxed work environment at all!
Pros
decent pay
Cons
very physical and mind numbing
Reliable, overall good company, but stressful sales goals
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  North East19 September 2018
Work hours are given with plenty of advance and working here is certainly reliable. Chances for progression.
Learned a lot about sales to go with customer service skills.
Management is the pitfall as the area managers and branch manager (in my experience) can be poor in terms of encouragement. There is a significant amount of pressure on the Trade Plus team and if the sales aren't going well for the week, the managers make it known. It can be discouraging and stressful.
The sales assistant and supervisors on the team in general are a great lot though. Sense of family with it.
Overall, Screwfix side of things is good but Plumb and Electricfix need to focus more on encouraging staff than making them feel like nothing is ever good enough.
Pros
Discounts for Screwfix and sister company B&Q. Regular hours.
Cons
Working Trade+ means more pressure and stress; unreachable goals.
productive and good fun
Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rhyl19 September 2018
Screwfix is an excellent work place full of opportunities, it is hard work but worth as your store is your identity, i learned a great deal from the company, the management at my place was excellent and always heard us out.
Pros
good kitchen facilities with constant coffee tea milk and sometimes bread
Cons
short shifts sometimes for the travel
Fun Job
Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Glasgow18 September 2018
There's a lot to learn to do the job well, but the team I have is amazing and helps you through a lot. Product knowledge is essential but it is easy once you go through the book a few times.
lovely place to work, great people
Shop Floor Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newhaven, East Sussex13 September 2018
lovely people to work for, extra hours always available, great environment. and lovely customers. all the work staff are very friendly, im 100% sure they only hire nice people
Pros
hours, people
Cons
early morning hours
Stay away from Winchester
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winchester, Hampshire11 September 2018
What can I say.
We have had a new manager in June and I ended up working for a different company overnight. Without actually leaving.
How a company can have a manager like this working for them is beyond me. Rude and abrupt. Power mad and controlling. No team spirit, no people skills. So many staff members leaving or left. We even lost a cleaner who doesn’t even work for Screwfix.
I loved my job, and the old management team. Now I find myself on Indeed looking for a job. This can not be right.
Pros
Customers and colleagues
Cons
Some management
Great place to work only left because of uni
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bognor Regis8 September 2018
Working here was a great time and everyone is treated very well would have happily stayed for a lot longer was it not for moving away for university, wouldn't mind working for the company in the future
Pros
Good money and discount
Cons
Late finishes/early starts
Not great for management
Deputy Manager (Former Employee) –  Birkenhead8 September 2018
friendly staff with a great amount of infustruture around it from logisics to IT. for management no control over anything you open up and close get told what to do no really power over driving you own target market and USPs
If your face fits its great
Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cheshire6 September 2018
A typical day would be serving customers, collating orders, and putting away delivery. This would mainly be the service assistants whilst higher management tended to stand around the managers desk having a chat and a laugh, but god forbid you actually had a brief chat with a colleague yourself, that would result in a telling off or a sarcastic comment i.e. "how are you getting on with that delivery". Among the service assistants I worked with I found that there were those that were hard working and friendly, and those that were just lazy and gossipy and just liked to stand around the tills chatting rather than helping with the more physical stuff. But I found they were never "told off" as they had a good relationship with certain members of management. Rotas were changed frequently and at very very short notice, sometimes failing to actually tell the relevant staff their shift had changed. Overall I found it a difficult place to work. I do think they need to look at why they have such a massively high staff turnover of good people, and why the "lazy" "gossipy" ones are still there. They advertise as a team playing company but this is not the experience I had, I found it a more "do as I say and not as I do" and "one rule for one and one rule for another" type of experience and one I never want to repeat.
Pros
Cons
Short notice shift changes, lack of empathy, favouritism

Want to know more about Screwfix?

Ask a question
decent first job
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham6 September 2018
working at screwfix is a decent first job but management don't care for the individuals much & serious situations are not always dealt with accordingly. it's good as a part time gig but not career
Rascist
Warehouse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stafford, Staffordshire5 September 2018
Very rude management especially in mini load department treat you like they own you expecting you to get around like a machine really bad environment and very very disrespectful don’t go here
Pros
Cons
Too many especially pushing a big trolley with 5 totes
Love working for Screwfix
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Scotland5 September 2018
Delivery 5 days a week, warehouse work, correcting errors

Since my move closer to home, nothing, went backwards after completing fast track to ASM, rather than moving forwards to the next level

Lack of progression, expected to move forward rather than backwards, no feedback from management

Getting motivated, would rather travel 55 mins to work than the 14 mins to work now

Working for Screwfix
awesome team
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Truro4 September 2018
lovely people and a lovely place to work for. always had fun and we all made such a great team. great pay for age especially for and 18 year old so that was a bonus too.
What is The Point of Your Handbook
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greater London31 August 2018
As others have said you can have a laugh with customers and at work. But even after a hard day, stand around for second and managers are all over you. No problem with hard work, but the pay is just not worth the hassle and how tired you can get on some days.

They care about targets more than people, when they should care about both.

They give you a nice shiny handbook and a welcome pack, but then months down the line you realize it's all just promises with no substance whatever.
Pros
You can have a laugh with customers who don't care about the politics in store
Cons
Discount
work
FLT Driver/Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Stafford, Staffordshire29 August 2018
go in an move pallets about, chat to mates, have a laugh. do work, go home watch football chill, go back work
management good, people good, im glad to have worked here
Fun place to work at, simple job
Duty Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London28 August 2018
Work shift days throughout contracted hours, which can be very felxible.
If you end up working with a good team then your golden.
Perks such as 20% discount with screwfix and b&q,
Not a Serious job opportunity better for younger people.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bedford, Bedfordshire26 August 2018
Advertises home/work balance but force overtime and weekends on you. Average hourly rate. Doesn't mention sbs in interview but wanted staff to basically cold call customer's at the till with no training. Would change shifts without notice, constantly having to take note of hours changing. Couldn't serve customer without screwfix card unless authorised by a manager what my personal opinion is wrong as a lot of public didn't want details taken, job itself is okay but much is needed to be attended to within management and shifts. Lots of young staff who don't give same effort within the job making it difficult for everyone else. Would recommend for anyone still in education and not to be taken as a serious full time job unless willing to go through management what is paid poorly.
Pros
Security.
Cons
Average rate of pay. Not home balanced job.
Productive and Inclusive Workplace
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Amersham25 August 2018
Days are very busy but, co-workers are helpful and enjoyable to work with. Sales rewards are available during certain sales periods. Managers are generally good but the management, of breaks, could be better as some days you would not receive your deserved breaks as adequate time hasn't been left between other co-workers breaks and the ending of your shift.
Pros
Good Co-Workers
Cons
Poor Management of Breaks
Flexible
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cornwall21 August 2018
Good company to work for. Flexible with shifts. Lots of benefits of working for the company. Keen to help their staff advance as they have training available for those who want it.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Screwfix. Our community is ready to answer.