Screwfix Employee Reviews

Supervisors do the majority of the management work!!!
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  South East8 November 2018
Terrible work life balance. Supervisors do more lone open/closes than store manager, so more tasks to complete than is possible, store manager will then complain about feeling unsupported!!!! Dreadful pay for the amount of responsibility a supervisor has, barely more than a service assistant. Early shifts following a late shift are common(despite this being completely illegal), ie:- less than 11 hours between shifts. Screwfix say they have a great training programme for management, it's virtually non existent. Store managers will work the hours they prefer, and supervisors do the shifts which impact on work/life balance the most. Rarely knowing what shift pattern you are on,wether it's earlies,lates, difficult to plan any life around work.
Pros
Lovely co-workers
Cons
Terrible pay and shifts for supervisors.
A changing company
BRANCH MANAGER (Current Employee) –  England12 August 2018
From Sa to Bm it's a great company for progression but then you'll hit a brick wall unless you've cultivated the right relationships, by that I mean your face needs to fit, there is no training or development for Branch Managers as the current one to Area Manager is impossible to access and I know many BM's who've completed it but have no hope of promotion, the company are continuously bringing in externals
Pros
Work life balance and great customers
Cons
Upper management blind to store issues or they just dont care, losing hours instore more and more, expectec to plan for peak trade with no idea what our hours will be so impopssibke to plan
Hardwork, but clean and well run
Picker/Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Stafford, Staffordshire23 April 2018
I worked for Screwfix wincanton in stafford through the best connection. The work can be quite hard at times, but they do swap you around from place to place so you dont get too bored. The money on nights was great and the canteen/facillities are exellent! However even though the best connection is the best agency I have ever worked for I did get laid off for having 4 days off in a row due to getting a nasty virus. I cant blame them though as I wasnt there long.
Overall though, in comparison to Tesco and Amazon Screwfix is the best by miles! If you are not frightened of a little work then I can say this is a great job with lots of benefits when taken on full time.
Pros
Subsidised canteen, acheivable targets, safe and clean work
Cons
Usual agency gripes, repetative work
Structured and encouraging
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dartford21 September 2018
If you don't mind long hours, with London stores opening at 6am and closing at 10pm, a career at Screwfix can work out well for you as long as you have the right manager.
There are lots of courses available to help your advance your career, and team feedback is encouraged.
Most of the people I worked with were great.
The main reason I left was because I was always tired. To arrive in time to open the shop at 6am I was having to wake up at 4am, and after a late shift I was not arriving home until almost midnight.
The job can be physically demanding as you are working with heavy tools and trade supplies (including very heavy radiators and bags of cement for example) in a warehouse environment.
PPE was supplied and I always felt safe due to the obvious attention paid to health and safety in the workplace.
They pay was pretty good compared to most other similar jobs.
Pros
Sense of job stability. Health and safety awareness makes you feel safe.
Cons
Early starts/late finishes.
Flexible
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cornwall21 August 2018
Good company to work for. Flexible with shifts. Lots of benefits of working for the company. Keen to help their staff advance as they have training available for those who want it.
Avoid Avoid Avoid
Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Elgin, Moray21 October 2018
Day to day job is pretty boring alot of standing about doing nothing.

Management are useless, always told customers are first but when it's busy and they are the only ones to help they won't. They will also break the rules when it comes to disciplining staff, if they like you you'll get away with so much, if they 'dislike' you then you'll be hounded until you are forced to leave over miniscule things.

Constant 'work place politcs'. Actually the worst for people back stabbing and criticising each other.

Pay is awful. Always promised a good pay rise as apparently they've messed up with the rise of the living wage. Never happened in the time I was there. Even McDonald's pays more.

Screwfix promises a good career path but there is no support from anybody to guide you through.

If your looking for a change of job but need plenty of money. Avoid this place as you are promised overtime but it is only given to people who they like and not shared fairly with the rest of staff. To be honest you don't get laid enough to deal with the day to day huffle of working at Screwfix
Pros
Local
Cons
Bad pay, terrible management, too much huffle from customers, work place politics
Great Company
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Yeovil5 July 2018
Screwfix are a brilliant company to work for, always room to progress or change field. Only downside to the company is a poor salary compared to competitors such as Travis Perkins.
Pros
Great career progression
Cons
Poor salary
Nice place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Woodford Green19 June 2018
Its a nice place to work. In a typical day, you would restock the warehouse and serve customers. The culture of the workplace is relaxed, everyone helps each other out.
Pros
Salary is quite high for retail, friendly environment
Cons
Flexible contract (unless you specify otherwise)
It's an ok place to work
Part Time Service Assistant Trade Counter (Former Employee) –  Bridgwater25 October 2018
It is an ok place to work, it is fast and ever changing. A typical day can be quiet or busy depending on the time of day. I have learned about the products they sell and the tools they have on offer. Management is ok but not the best I've worked for. The work culture is ok providing your face fits or not but sometimes you can have a laugh with the staff depending who it is. The hardest part of the job is when you have to dig out radiators if they are not correctly placed. The most part I enjoyed about the job is when you get to know the regular customers who are always happy.
Pros
a 20 min break, Free parking
Cons
unhappy supervisor and kept changing shifts without notification to staff
New perspective on a retail-type role
Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birkenhead20 March 2018
Progression within the company seems dependent on work ethic, but management will give every opportunity for you to succeed. Day to day roles vary based on daily / weekly sales, leftover delivery etc, but the core tasks are the same. Management will get their hands dirty both on the trade counter and in the warehouse, something not seen in previous roles. Salary and benefits are pretty good, especially if you do a lot of DIY and home improvements.
Pros
Salary & discount, progression
Not bad but not great either
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Essex20 July 2018
As people have said, if your face doesn’t fit you won’t get promoted. If you do, you’ll probably get demoted. Management have bent rules and got away with it and sometimes it creates the downfall of service assistants. Work life balance isn’t great, working most weekends. If you get early shifts it’s ok but if you don’t, don’t expect a life. Overall pay is good and above minimum wage. But management take it too seriously and can be too strict for what it is. Recognition doesn’t exist coming from someone with 4 years of being in the company.
Pros
Good pay, nice customers, qualifications
Cons
Work life balance isn’t great, management take it too seriously
Poor place to work
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  South wale5 October 2018
Terrible place to work, one big click and that seems to be the ‘norm’ in most stores judging by these reviews. Also the norm seems to be some of us work hard while the others just sit there and chat while getting away with it, Try and avoid, management are terribly poor, and I’ve only worked at my store for four months and I’ve seen three members of staff leave already 😂
Pros
Slightly over NMW
Cons
Terrible unprofessional management
Promoted and then left to struggle.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ipswich, Suffolk15 October 2018
I was part of a team opening the newest branch. The person they had employed as my team leader walked out before the store had even opened, I was then approached and asked if I wanted to be supervisor. I applied and emphasised that I hadn’t had a supervisory role before and that I’d need training. I received very little. It was to the point where I was emotionally drained because I just wasn’t getting the help I needed. When it became known that I was THINKING about looking for a new job my then manager didn’t hesitate to pull me over to the calendar and tell me my last day should be after my next holiday, she then proceeded to arrange my exit review, all of this before I had even handed in my notice. I felt a lot like it was constructive dismissal but as I’d only been working there for a matter of months I was powerless to do anything legally. It was a real shame because I was so excited to work there!
Pros
Good pay.
Cons
Management unwilling to help.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Yeovil, Somerset29 April 2018
Generally a great place to work where everyone works to get the job done. Good work life balance but sometimes crazy hours to get the job done. Kingfisher involvement is becoming more of a burden and the benefits are pretty poor (e.g. paid paternity leave, sick pay)
Awful place to work
Picker (Former Employee) –  Lichfield4 November 2018
I worked at Wincanton for nearly a year, and in all my time I have never experienced such a horrendous management team.

I was constantly bullied by a certain manager and no matter how much I reported him, nothing was done. I am shocked and disappointed in Wincanton for the managers they continue to employ and how much they disregard employees. No wonder they have such a high staff turnover.
The managers play favouritism with colleagues, whilst penalising colleagues they don’t particularly like.. very unfair and this is in no way to run a warehouse!

Stay away from Lichfield Wincanton!! It is poisonous!!
Pros
Made friends with colleagues.
Fun and Enjoyable
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Limehouse10 January 2019
Very fun and enjoyable place to work out. Fully flexible shifts to accommodate your lifestyle.

Meet new and regular customers daily, build rapport with them.

Learn A LOT about the Trade, electrical and plumbing knowledge obtained whilst working.

Management is great and very accommodating with shifts.

Staff and workplace culture is excellent, feels like a little family.

Hardest and most enjoyable part of the job are the customers.
Reliable, overall good company, but stressful sales goals
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  North East19 September 2018
Work hours are given with plenty of advance and working here is certainly reliable. Chances for progression.
Learned a lot about sales to go with customer service skills.
Management is the pitfall as the area managers and branch manager (in my experience) can be poor in terms of encouragement. There is a significant amount of pressure on the Trade Plus team and if the sales aren't going well for the week, the managers make it known. It can be discouraging and stressful.
The sales assistant and supervisors on the team in general are a great lot though. Sense of family with it.
Overall, Screwfix side of things is good but Plumb and Electricfix need to focus more on encouraging staff than making them feel like nothing is ever good enough.
Pros
Discounts for Screwfix and sister company B&Q. Regular hours.
Cons
Working Trade+ means more pressure and stress; unreachable goals.
Worked here for 2 years
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eastleigh, Hampshire27 March 2018
Although I wasn’t expecting to ever work in a place like Screwfix, I found them to be very different from your normal retail shops. I loved it!! But had to leave as I was moving up north and, couldn’t get a transfer. Gutted that I’ve not been able to find a vacancy yet.
Work life balance ... brilliant, suited me perfectly and, I was able to do a little extra too if I wanted. Helped out on weekends when needed.
Management were good to me and others, few had a lot of experience in management, the ones that didn’t were getting the experience they needed.
I loved my time in this store and can only encourage people needing a job, with good hours, good pay, flexibility, and a great team ethos, then go to Screwfix. Staff make you feel great, and worth your weight in gold. Miss it!
Pros
Flexibility, team ethos, building a new career, management.
Cons
Cold in the branch in the winter, hot in the summer...
Poor management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Accrington, Lancashire29 December 2017
Working here is easy, but they're very picky with who they employ. Internal disputes are handled poorly and the managers set themselves far away from the employee.
When I worked here, I became the victim of discrimination when some of the staff decided they don't like working with me instead of carrying on or trying to work with me I was instead slammed with allegations of harassment and abuse. The managers were not interested in sorting this out they instead elected to dismiss me as fast as humanly possible.
The pay and benefits are ok, only marginally better than average but the job feels insecure and they insist that you keep to the same work arrangements as originally agreed on upon their job offer.
The proverbial dangling carrot is popular amongst the staff when discussing internal prospects.
Pros
Great customers, employee benefits and discount
Cons
Lazy management and lack of communication between management and employees
Not a Serious job opportunity better for younger people.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bedford, Bedfordshire26 August 2018
Advertises home/work balance but force overtime and weekends on you. Average hourly rate. Doesn't mention sbs in interview but wanted staff to basically cold call customer's at the till with no training. Would change shifts without notice, constantly having to take note of hours changing. Couldn't serve customer without screwfix card unless authorised by a manager what my personal opinion is wrong as a lot of public didn't want details taken, job itself is okay but much is needed to be attended to within management and shifts. Lots of young staff who don't give same effort within the job making it difficult for everyone else. Would recommend for anyone still in education and not to be taken as a serious full time job unless willing to go through management what is paid poorly.
Pros
Security.
Cons
Average rate of pay. Not home balanced job.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Screwfix. Our community is ready to answer.