Screwfix Employee Reviews

Fun Workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Walton-on-Thames22 June 2018
An active workplace and my peers in the workplace really reinforced how enjoyable it is to work for the company.
The unique design of the shop/warehouse taught me new things I'd never come to learn elsewhere.
Business Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Field Based - South West21 June 2018
A striving business and a good place to work, forward thinking organisation, head office in Yeovil. A young workforce, well looked after and supported. Good opportunities to develop into other areas of the business
Pros
Good staff canteen, lots of social events
Cons
Uncertainty in the retail industry
Awful!! Stay well away!!
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands20 June 2018
Unless you’re desperate for a job I wouldn’t waste your time applying here. The management are awful and if they want you out of the company they will find a way! Using the smallest of reasons. There is no job security with this company at all. They are not organised and half the time you hardly know wether you’re coming or going. The store managers have no clue to what they’re doing or how to run a store and just wanna brush issues within the team under the carpet.
Please read all the other reviews before applying and believe me when I say they’re true!!
Pros
Discount, team
Cons
Management, job security
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Redditch14 June 2018
Screwfix enabled me to have contact with the public. Customer Service was a big role as I was on the tills helping customers find what they needed to make them happy. All the staff were lovely, meaning I was able to have a laugh.
horrible place to work
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Thetford, Norfolk7 June 2018
a typical say would me, management being lazy, standing round chatting while the sales assistants act like their little minions doing all the work.
Management do not want to listen to anyones opinions or complaints.
The job isn't hard at all...it usually just habit you don't have to use your brain at all.
the hardest part of the job is having to deal with all the stupidity from the management.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the lunch time, when you can just be by yourself and away from everyone else.
The pay its bad either!
Pros
pay isn't bad
Cons
everything else
under awful management, problems with wages, near impossible to book holidays as communication was terrible with other staff members
Part-Time Cleaner Future Cleaning Services (Former Employee) –  Oxford6 June 2018
I had a very early shift, it was hard to get in, as you would have to wait for the manager to let you in. Then your pay would be reduced because it took them all this time to open the doors.

Once in, they would not have they right equipment, usually damaged, like the hoover was not working properly. Making your job a lot harder.

I worked here for a year, but never saw my supervisor. it was always hard to book holidays as he was never there to approved them!!

I have underpaid on most pay slips. Hence the reason why I left.

The best part of the job- HOME TIME
Pros
good pay rate
Cons
bad management, equipment to carry out your duties
Bad place to work
Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southampton6 June 2018
If your face doesn't fit you have zero promotion chances. Management throughout the company are very clique and they help each other out to bend the rules set. They pay slightly above minimum wage and that is the only pro to working there. I left with less confidence than when I started and had no recognition for my 8years service
Pros
Slightly above minimum wage
Cons
Everything else
Brill
Sales (Former Employee) –  Lincolnshire5 June 2018
Cater to child care loved working here. Very hard working putting away delivery etc and can deal with mardy customers but was still amazing with the team I had
Pros
Rewards, go up the chain, good shift patterns
Cons
Mardy customers
Customer advisor
Customer Advisor (Former Employee) –  St. Austell, Cornwall29 May 2018
stock shelves, manage warehouse, process orders, serve on tills. pretty easy job once you get used to the systems used. hardest part for me was the managers.I seemed to not have a face that fit so was told by more than one manager that some people can be managers and some cant and I was one that cant, but other than that was given no explanation or reason as to why
Fun workplacw
Customer service (Current Employee) –  Newhaven, East Sussex28 May 2018
Great place to work. Easy to learn, supportive team members, understanding management and you get a good balance. Very good pay as well. Never a dull day.
Pros
Good money
Needs Improvements
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire23 May 2018
A lot needs to change the management is poor there is not much room for progression, unless you give up all outside life and commitments. They are not understanding with having family.
Good Company to work for
SALES ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands22 May 2018
Good company to work for as they work around you a lot. All the staff in the company are friendly and welcoming and make you feel as a family. However, it would be nice to have more hours!!!!
I would work for them again if the opportunity arose
Trade counter sales, order picking, cash handling (Former Employee) –  Doncaster, South Yorkshire18 May 2018
I worked there for about a year, along that year i met a fair few good co-workers and also a few good customers that i still keep in contact with. all though towards the end of the job the hours were cut so i could not live on the money
Pros
Cons
bad managment
Happy good place to work
Store Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Coventry17 May 2018
Screwfix is a really nice place to work
has a family orientated feel to it
progression is always available within the company
in terms of customer service you can really learn a lot due to so many different aspects
Pros
good for part time shifts good minimum wage
Cons
constant changes in shifts unreasonable targets
Workplace
Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bury St. Edmunds15 May 2018
The workplace st screwfix is very enjoyable place. I do many different things depending on the day. The management team are always there for me and help me understand the environment I am working in, they have given me a massive confidence boost.
Pros
Paid for breaks
Cons
Long days
Fun
Part time service assistant (Former Employee) –  Middleton, Greater Manchester11 May 2018
Very fun and friendly place to work. Very understand and always supportive. Train you up well and have excellent communication skills with both the workers and their customers.
Pros
Very friendly
Fun place to work
Trade worker (Former Employee) –  Stafford, Staffordshire9 May 2018
Was a good place to work because they are a family,everybody help you from the first day you work till the last.the managers are verry strictly but also they understand you if you have a problem
Good workplace - store completely depends on competency of managers
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  East Sussex7 May 2018
I have enjoyed working for Screwfix and progressed through multiple stores. There is a clear difference in stores that have an effective Branch Manager/Assistant Manager and ones that do not. Staff of all levels in the latter stores are usually not held accountable for poor performance and leads to a poor attitudes in store.

Role isn't too stressful although pay is low for supervisors in particular. ASM bonus and lack of responsibility for SA's make these roles more acceptable in pay.

Work/Life balance can be poor considering the opening hours of the store.

I would recommend Screwfix provided you don't have the bad luck of getting into a store with a bad atmosphere.
Pros
Good Managers
Cons
Bad Managers
A great way to obtain a range of customer service experience
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Woodford Green5 May 2018
I had to take on, a lot of problem solving situations and dealing with a huge range of different customers. This helps push my customer service skills further and allowed me not only to develop and new set of skills but the training and experience i need to handle difficult situation and take on a huge amount of responsibility.
Pros
Proper breaks when on long hour shifts
Cons
Is difficult working there while being at Uni or College
It was a nice place to work.
Customer Care Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Yeovil, Somerset2 May 2018
This company has a lot to offer, it has come a long way in a very short time; the company has grown exponentially since my departure, It has become a leader in it's industry and has a lot to offer.
Pros
I can not say, as I have been away from the comany for eight years.
Cons
Again, I have noting I can say that would be adverse to working there today.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Screwfix. Our community is ready to answer.