Scottish Widows Employee Reviews

A great company to work for
Quality Assurance SME (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh29 November 2017
I worked for the Scottish Widows/Lloyds Banking Group for 25 years from working in Client Services to full IT testing training. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I met and worked with and being given the tools to do a good job. Working with the off-shore teams was also very enjoyable.
Pros
Work life balance - compressed hours and being able to work from home
Educational
Work Experience Placement (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh21 October 2017
During my week within Scottish Widows, I spent time in several different areas of the business. The majority of my time was spent within the Mail Room, during which I opened and sorted mail, issued mail to customers and also assisted with data entry.
Too Much Uncertainty
PA to Head of Marketing Communications (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh4 October 2017
Due to constant restructures it was a very unsettling place to work. I personally had to reapply for roles 6 times in 5 years so the morale was extremely low.
Pros
Flexible Working Hours
Cons
Job uncertainty
productive
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire29 August 2017
great wages easy going staff members always there to help you along with whatever problem or difficulties that may arise. holidays easy approvals. work around childcare.
Disorganised and poor collegue engagement
Intermediary Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh10 July 2017
I was allowed freedom to express myself and make my own impact. Unfortunatly it was a very "clique" type culture with little room for progression. Lack of direction and investment in my department and the MI was embarrasingly poor.
Pros
Company benifits
Cons
Lack or direction and engagement
Fun and effective
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Dalkeith Road Edinburgh7 July 2017
Great place to work, with a lot of going on. I would highly recommend it to other people for all of the reasons above. Wish I could stay however my temporary contract ended.
Pros
Good culture, good people
rewarding
Final Salary Pension Administration (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh21 June 2017
This role was very rewarding and allowed me to work with a great deal of individuals in a challenging environment. The staff were very friendly and supported me throughout
Fast paced, busy workplace
Call Consultant (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh31 May 2017
Overall the company is good to work for, a day at work can be challenging but also enjoyable. Great team working and management are helpful. The company give brilliant staff benefits however can be difficult for progression.
Poor, not what expected
Mortgage Processor (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh5 May 2017
Very unorganised. Never had anything for us to do for weeks. Told to go home some days because of that. Not a good job in the mortgage sector. Not what told at interview.
Productive and fun workplace
Technical Analyst (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh11 April 2017
A typical day at work is good and the culture is nice. The management remain professional at all times. We are customer focused and driven on keeping things simple for our customers.
Good Company Perks
Corporate Pensions Administrator (Current Employee) –  Ediburgh11 April 2017
A good place to work where team members raise team spirit. A typical day will be usually very hectic due to staffing levels but team pull together to meet challenges.
Pros
Special Staff rates on financial products
Cons
Limited and stereo type growth
great opportunities
Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh11 December 2016
I have had a wonderful time with Scottish widows and it will be an experience I won't forget. They have provided me with the tools in order for me to further my career in finance.
Friendly and innovative environment
Pensions Administrator (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh28 October 2016
During my time at Scottish widows I have switched teams numerous times to help deal with business needs, as the company is constantly striving to do the best for its customers. I was not only supported by my colleagues, but given the opportunity to mentor other new staff. The line managers here were very supportive of any issues be they business or personal.
Difficult environment
Team Manager (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh21 October 2016
The continuing battle between staffing and customers needs means mixed messages and difficult decisions. Increased workloads and no consideration for staff makes it a difficult place to work.
Rectifications
Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh20 October 2016
Good place to work.
God office location.
Made better by the people.
Good delivery focus.
I out performed all others.
Would work there again.
Only left due to 2 years / tax
Efficient workplace and great colleagues
Sales Support Administrator (Former Employee) –  Bristol15 October 2016
A typical day at work involved working with account managers to deal with various tasks for the financial advisors that they were looking after. I got on very well with my colleagues and it was a good place to work. Management had some room for improvement. The most enjoyable part of the job was solving problems and working with my colleagues to solve any problems that may have arisen.
Scottish Widows
Corporate Pensions Administrator (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh6 October 2016
Replying to pension policy queries by telephone, email or letter; being efficient in replying, giving full policy details, making sure all data was sent securely.
Loyal company
Team leader (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh City18 August 2016
...I left school and joined LBG. They are a fantastic company to work for with great benefits. However, very little scope to progress
Excellent place to work
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh16 June 2016
I really enjoyed my time working at Scottish Widows and loved getting involved with setting up events and welcoming visitors to the building. I also made some great friends whilst there
unnecessary turnover
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh15 June 2016
I could not speak more positively about working for the company, they are great people with management and training also second to none, However I do feel the repeated use and discarding of temp staff is a bit high.

I was a temp for a year and both me and my team performed greatly, All working hard with word that they will be looking to convert us to permanent only to then be let go at the end of it.

However I am now back again being retrained on the exact same skill sets from previous year and to find that the department is in service recovery due to call volumes being so high merely weeks after dispatching us last time.

It would make much more business sense to retain such skills while those people are still happy to or risk discarding again and finding staff that performed so well wont be as keen to return again.
Pros
great work and social mix, they look after both fantastically.
Cons
none really, except job security while temping, though yes it is part and parcel of it.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Scottish Widows. Our community is ready to answer.

Scottish Widows Reviews by Location