Scottish Autism
Here to help
Coronavirus update

Scottish Autism Employee Reviews

United Kingdom95 reviews
never worked somewhere that the managers can make your life a living nightmare simple because they don't like you, no proof but still being disaplined for sweet f*** all, do not think because this is a charity its a good place to work, enough to drive anyone to insanity! So glad I told them to shove their job.
Feel sorry for service users.
Pros
Cons
managers all stock together, ridiculous
If your face doesn't fit, you're out. Forget seeing your families again because those 24-48 hour shifts are tedious, stressful and emotionally draining. Pay is terrible for the quality of work they demand of you, don't even get me started on management. Incompetent company.

Ended up suffering physically and mentally from my time at SA, I lost valuable time and energy. Best thing I ever did was leave.

I suffered appendicitis on shift and was unable to contact out of hours, the excuse was they 'accidently failed to inform my unit of last minute on call changes'.

Thankfully I now work in a place where I am approached and am not another number in a long list of unhappy staff.
Pay below the rest of care sector, management out of touch with staff , toxic team leaders and managers who have their own cliques and not willing to help inexperienced and new members of staff who will only critisise if you are not one of "the in crowd" bogged down with paperwork which takes up time away from service users, great job if you are actually allowed to do the job and not deal with management / supervisor drama
Pros
Service users
Cons
Too many
I could go on and on about why Scottish Autism is an awful place to work, but I'll sum it up with this: Management do not care about service users or staff. They only care about making money.

I worked in Dundee so cannot speak for other areas, but do yourself a favour and don't apply to work under such rude, incompetent people.
I thought I would have the greatest job working for Scottish Autism. At the interview everything was lovely and they made you feel like it’s the best thing happening, but in reality it’s the worst thing.
Had to wait 2 months to actually start working when some others who had the interview the same time as me started earlier.

Had to debate with myself if it was worth it.

I decided to give them a chance still. Had the training in another city which I found odd. At the interview they said everything was gonna happen in Dundee, but they’ve sent me far away to get the training. Did not understand that but found out later that they had availability to do the training in the Dundee but they’ve enrolled too many people so they had to send me to another city.

I was already fed up with them, but I thought about how things seemed so perfect in the beginning and how much of a fool I would be if I just resigned. I was wrong.

The WORST MANAGEMENT.

They just don’t care about their new employees and I’m pretty sure about the older ones too.

They want to force you into taking shifts.

They are short on staff but don’t care about the existing staff. Also they don’t hire more people and people are leaving.

Resisted only almost two months and I think it was the best decision to resign.

Just stay away from this company .

The only good thing is the payment. But it’s not worth it for the level of stress they put you through.
Managment are fair and approchable. Training was second to none.
Staff work well as a team. Hours can be unsociable. Was fun to work in a team with in the day centre as wrll as out in the community. Would be nice if management had more recognition for staffs effort with service users.
I love working for Scottish Autism staff are all friendly and are always trying to do their best for the pupils and management are very supportive to staff and pupils i love that there is always learning opportunities and new challenges
early finish on a friday as well as flexitime, laid back atmosphere, great bunch of people
it system they have is terrible, no training provided

new system they have comes with no training either

Very understaffed
Every day is different, you learn new skills every shift.
The management are always happy to help you with your own development. It is easy to move up in the company and training will be given. The most enjoyable part of the job is leaving your shift knowing you made a difference to the person you were working with life. Hardest part of the job is building a relationship with the people you support as you might not decide to work there forever.
You work long hours, sleepovers not well paid. Can be very stressful, if you do work for them, be prepared for long shifts, hard work, very repetitive. You are not appreciated, I would definitely not reccomend this company, you get more pay in other places.
I liked working with the service users. The working environment was relaxed but communication with my manager was a nightmare. There were times where she would not respond to work emails for weeks and I would have to ask someone to remind her. The shadow shifts that I received were only 5 and with the same person which gave me no proper preparations what so ever. When I started working casually for them, I asked for more casual shifts with different people so that I could pick up shifts but I was denied. Overall, I would not recommend Scottish Autism to anyone due to their poor organisational skills and inadequate management.
If you want to bow down to queen bee then this is the place for you. When you work here you have no life, no time and all the managers work put on your shoulders. Managers have plenty of time off (even 2 weeks at Xmas) and don't give a toss about you or your home life. If you don't drive it doesn't matter if there's no public transport on or if there's a red weather warning you're still expected to travel in expected to go in for your shift.
The work is hard and you’re often working shifts that mean your sleeping pattern and day to day life might be hard to plan, however, it’s one of the most rewarding jobs. I have felt the experience I’ve had working with Scottish Autism is invaluable. There’s a lot of cons to the job which many people have already highlighted. The pay isn’t great for all the responsibility and challenges you have to face. It’s a fast paced environment with a lot of change and a high staff turn over.
Having worked in Learning Disability Care for over Ten years with a variety of employers I was naturally very excited by the opportunity in front of me when I applied to work at Scottish Autism.

On the day of my interview I was very impressed with the display of confidentiality at the reception desk, there was clearly something going on, rather than talking openly about it in front of me another member of staff was allowed to read the e-mail in question and did not comment until after I had left.

My interview I though was difficult as I had always worked in England and struggled to fully understand the Scottish systems, I was very surprised to receive the call telling me that I had been successful.

On my 1st day I was give a months plan for my induction and spent 1 on 1 time being shown around by my line manager. This also impressed me.

Once I had time to look at the months plan I realised that there were shadow shifts with every service user, I found this odd as the staff team really needed focused management support however my time was being allocate as if I was a support worker.

By the end of my 1st week I had already encountered problems with the manager that I worked along side, I had been streamline the message system in the home to make life easier for everyone and had upset them, this resulted in a complaint about me. I should have discussed it before making any changes however I felt as a manager I had the ability to do this without the need to ask. The tone moving forward had now be set!

In my second week I started to meet more of the mangers,
 - more...
I have always worked in the Care/Support Worker sector and have learned loads over the years.
Thought I would like to specialise in one disability so I chose Autism.

OMG wish I hadnt this company is a complete and utter joke.

Call them selves a caring company, well they need to go and look up what that actually means.

Management dont give a flying f*** about there staff as long as shifts are covered thats all that matters. Also as long as management dont have to step in and work either, they would rather pay over the odds and get agency people in.

Please folks if anybody reads these apply elsewhere.

Management if anybody reads these reviews please do something about your company as you can see so many unhappy people and this definately can not go on.
Amazing manager who genuinely cares about her staff
I worked in two amazing teams with fantastic support workers who always go above and beyond

The service users are all amazing with great personalities

I would recommend this role to anyone with passion to deliver excellent care
There once was a bad charity,
Filled with corruption and disparity,

There were bullies, abuse,

The whole place was obtuse

I see now with absolute clarity.

When you start they'll have awful big grins,

Give it a year and things will look grim,

The smiles disappear, only complaints will you hear,

And the work will reveal all its sins!

You work hard and do all the training,

Try to use it you'll realise they're just feigning,

It's not about care, don't be different, don't you dare!

Just be like everyone else and keep faking!

Six months in and you learn about rules,

The written ones are just for the fools,

The real rules are unspoken, watch your step or you'll be broken,

Either that or act like a tool!

They say it's about service users,

Yet they refuse to fire abusers!

You go to HR, you don't get very far,

They tell you you're just spreading rumours!

An incident happens before your eyes,

But the staff say it's a pack of lies,

There's no report, and don't you dare retort,

You'll be told not to be a wise guy!

The management say "We're always there",

Not to help, just to pretend that they care,

You think "Surely they must, I'll give them my trust",

Then they'll tell all when you aren't there!

As I hope you readers have gathered,

From this review through which I have blathered,

This place is obscene, the worst there has been,

My faith in them truly has shattered!

If you're thinking about applying,

Heed my words before you hear all their lying,

There's other good causes, that deserve your applauses,

So don't apply here cause Scottish
 - more...
If you want to be governed by out of date policies, managers that bully, not listened too, emails or texts not replied too, on call that havent got a clue what you talking about, tiny little things highlighted but big massive major things brushed under carpet, mountains and mountains of paper work, huge daily cleaning tasks, hardly any time to spend with service users then this is the place for you!!!
Ridiculous 36, 27 and 24 hour shifts without a break, pay not in line with what it should be and a sleepover allowance thats laughable.

You hear from nobody and I mean nobody!

But a concern to me is does anybody from Scottish Autism actually read these reviews because what it does show is there are things that seriously and immediately need addressed.

All these people taking time to write reviews are telling the truth and something needs to be done.

The most enjoyable part of the job is going home, well for a couple of hours anyway.
Excellent company to work for if you were left alone to get on with your job, constant staff changes made the work difficult, usual too many chiefs not enough indians
Currently I am a manager with Scottish Autism and frankly I have had enough now, new NO SMOKING policy being implemented as from 01/06/20.
So if you smoke like me then it will not be possible "AT ALL" to smoke whilst you work your hours from Scottish Autism.

Under no circumstances can you smoke or instruments to help with stopping smoking if you are on shift whilst working for SA.

Staff do not get paid breaks so staff have to work ridiculous hours without a break or a cigarette.

Good Luck with that one SA !!!!!
Criminal, cover ups, false, liars and bullies, the list is endless, this company abuses autism to the highest, Adult and child services are both alike, both corrupt and demeaning to autistic people. The parents who place their loved ones in this CARE!! Sector would have curled toes if they were a fly on the wall. Enough said