Scottish Autism Employee Reviews

Boring!!!
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Lochgelly, Fife4 October 2019
Work in care they said, it will be fun they said...ha ha how wrong "They" were.
Worked in housing support for years and how boring it is, days spent twiddling thumbs and hearing from nobody.
You get stuck in a house with a service user for 24 - 27 + hours and you hear from nobody (your manager, service manger etc).
You do however, have a number for on call...but they useless (managers from other services) and when you phone for help or advice they dont know the service user so cant help.
Work with service users with very challenging behaviour and many of the people I work with said he should have been in a secure unit not housing support.
Things and concerns brought to team meetings but managers have their own agenda and nothing any of the workers say get addressed or even listened too.
To many lies get said
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Central Belt29 September 2019
The service users are great to work with ,some of the managers on a power trip , if your face fits your ok , they dont listen and take on board what the staff say .
Well
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Alloa, Clackmannanshire15 September 2019
I’ve worked there for years, management is constantly changing, you never stick to your contracted hours, always having to do more. It’s quite clear that management have their favourite members of staff.
Tragic
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Scotland21 August 2019
I wish I could rate it 0 stars but lowest it let me give was 1. Whilst all work places have their stressors and struggles, this is by far the worst management I have seen. Which directly impacts the service reputation, quality of care provided to service users and staff morality in being treated poorly.
Don’t work here
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Fife16 August 2019
The company is a joke. It is a very stressful job. Working with complex/volatile young adults. With very little support from management. You have no work life balance as the rotas constantly get changed due to staff shortages. If you are lucky enough to get your days off you will get constant phone calls about extra shifts that your manager requires you to do. You will never get the chance for a promotion as everyone is related and promotions are already lined up for someone family members.
Pros
Cons
As listed above.
A difficult job with limited resources...but fantastic rewards
(Housing support) (Current Employee) –  Fife13 August 2019
A typical day is never typical.
I learn something new about Autism every day . I have also learned this role is a vocation- not a job.
I feel management work very hard with a lot of pressure to support everyone to the very best of their ability- with limited budgets, at times high staff turnover and with very little reward encouragement or incentive from those above them.
The hardest part is getting the right people for the job...if you are looking for a pay check- do not work here. The hours can be long. The job can be demanding. The role is stressful...but the people are amazing!
The most enjoyable part without a doubt are the young people with autism themselves
Pros
The rewards from the young people with autism are varied but plentiful
Cons
Do not do this job for the money...there isn't a lot :)
One of the worst care companies to work for
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Dundee12 August 2019
Management do not care about their employees they don’t listen to concerns about service users All they care about is numbers and money
Avoid working here!
Honestly not worth it
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Alloa, Clackmannanshire10 August 2019
if you have any care for your mental health stay away!!! working 24 hour shifts constantly!! God forbid you ask for a day off, you won’t get it!!, pretty sure they hate all there staff especially the younger staff who do a better job that the OAPs that’s all seem to think they run the place ;)most managers are useless and won’t ever help you unless your family, rubbish pay for what you have to put up with!! If you want to lose sleep, hair and be constantly dealing with getting a kicking in for a living this is the job for you :)
The kids are brilliant shame there place of Care is a absolutely shambles!!!
Management are a complete sham!!!
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Fife4 August 2019
Typical day at work is listening to 2 faced workers, moaning and groaning about nothing.
Management are a complete utter shower, unless your face fits they do nothing about anything!!!!
Rubbish workers given chance after chance and nothing gets any better.
Services user are a joy but they get away with murder also.
Do not work here !!!!
Pros
Cons
Pay is rubbish
Disgraceful
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Fife2 August 2019
Just a pure disgrace, like a horror movie, or crime movie,unreal, management are monsters, no more can be said, work here if you enjoy drama. Sham, mess, no care,
Cons
Caring organisation with good values
Contracts Manager (Current Employee) –  Alloa, Clackmannanshire27 July 2019
I have worked for Scottish Autism for 20 years and have often been given opportunities for development and promotion. Like all jobs there are challenges and I have not always liked everyone I have worked with, but overall I have found them supportive and encouraging. It is a large enough organisation to have a structure and policies and therefore protection for staff, but small enough that I have felt that my voice is heard. It is a charity working in social care so it does not pay the big bucks, but my experience has been that staff are treated fairly and that staff do the job because they want to help people.
Pros
Good training and extra holidays after 5 years service
Cons
Shift work, evenings and weekends
Adult Services
Manager (Current Employee) –  Alloa, Clackmannanshire16 July 2019
I was looking at the reviews on here and felt that I needed to share my review of Scottish Autism. Scottish Autism in Central is split into adult services and children's services. I have only worked in adult services so I can only speak for that side of things but in my many years here I feel that I have had loads of opportunity to develop as well as felt supported. I have received regular supervisions where I have felt that I can speak freely to my Manager about any issues which are then quickly looked into and resolved. I am always praised for the good practice that I have shown and are always given achievable targets to work towards.
The staff that work on the floor are fantastic and do very well at their jobs, ensuring they provide the best care that they can and that the service users feel safe and happy. The job is a challenging job and should never been seen as a job for someone who just needs/wants to make money as empathy, care and compassion are essential in this role but if you have these things then this company is the place for you.
The service users are great and their homes/living areas are spotless and so well designed to meet their individual needs! It is amazing to help support the service users to achieve and the best feeling of all is to see the service users smile.
Pros
Great development opportunities as well as doing a rewarding job
Cons
Trying to maintain the work/home life balance
People are trying but nothing ever gets done
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Glasgow20 June 2019
Scottish Autism has high staff turnover for a few reasons. The pay is typically low, there is very little choice in shifts and you can be sent anywhere at short notice. That can mean working a shift in Largs and then going straight onto a shift in Kirkintilloch. You will have no say over your shifts and they will change quickly at short notice or you will find out a shift is cancelled when you have already arrived. This often means you will be using your annual leave to cover the hours of these cancelled shifts if there's no other shift available at short notice.
In certain services a shift might only be 5 hours long which means if you're on a full time contract you're working 6 or 7 days a week to make your contracted hours.
It's an expensive job to do as well, especially if you're on a service such as outreach. These will typically involve going out for a meal with a service user and usually you will receive no meal allowance. So a 5 hour shift can make you £45 but easily cost you £10.
Raising these issues with seniors will you do no good at all. Apparently 'EVERYONE'S miserable, this job is killing everyone!' cos that makes it better? If you have a complaint about your working conditions the message you will receive is that you are the problem.

There's also been a problem that concerns raised are never really acted upon - safety suggestions are ignored, support users are stuck doing the same activities year in year out because there's no movement towards changing anything, training is perfunctory and full of cliches - requests for specific training about issues facing
  more... support users have been ignored. So we are helping support users deal with issues surrounding child protection, mental health, addiction, grief, budgeting/benefits etc with NO support.

Though the support users are great there are, inevitably, behavioural issues to be coped with. Some of these will include violence. You will be taught CALM techniques and provided with no further support. It is just accepted that you will be attacked and that it is part of your job.

There is a pattern of young, very inexperienced people being promoted over more experienced staff. They are then given no additional training to go with their new responsibilities. Unsurprisingly this has not improved staff retention.

There are a lot of nice, well meaning people in this company who ARE trying their best to make their support users lives better. However with the complete refusal to address any of the issues leading to staff quitting so quickly we've ended up with a revolving door system. There's no stability, no consistency - which is what people with autism need most. There's never any progress because the staff team refreshes every few months.

On the good side - the job is often interesting. There's a lot of opportunities to accompany support users to activities that you might not have experienced before and you will see parts of Glasgow you didn't know existed.
Pros
there's lot of nice people working here. And lovely clients.
Cons
You probably won't know those nice people for very long.
Long time service employee
AP (Current Employee) –  Glasgow17 June 2019
I love supporting people on the autism spectrum and have worked for this company for years but now im looking elsewhere terrible mansgers who listen more to inexperienced staff rather than the prople who use the service and experienced staff incase they upset the inexperienced staff incase they leave Middle managers only interested in covering shifts even with under qualified staff Higher management now only interested in making a profit Which they will never do-as staff leave soon after expensive but now inadequate training for supporting people with Autism
Pros
Working with people on the dpectrum
Cons
Everything else
Better care companies out there
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow30 May 2019
Have exit interviews with ALL staff who are planning on leaving and try to establish why there is such a high turnover. I only worked there for a few months as the rota was constantly being changed, management spoke to me in a rude and intimidating manner. If you challenged or asked questions you were spoken to rudely. My Rota was constantly changed I had a 3 month old at home and I asked if I could start my shift an hour later and I got threatened with a written warning. No flexibility on their part but expected you to be flexible. I was a driver so expected to do shifts in Helensburgh and then Kirkintilloch on the same day.

Management have an authoritarian approach, please for the sake of the service users, train managers better, offer a better work life balance and be more flexible as talented, caring people will leave.

Encourage communication with staff, management and service users. The high turn over of staff is a massive issue for service users. How many staff last longer than a year? Why is this? Its senior managements job to find this out. The service users deserve better.

I will not name names but I worked in Glasgow and was based in the office in Abercrombie st.
Pros
Service users
Criminal
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Alloa, Clackmannanshire28 May 2019
Bad practise brushed under carpet. Abuse, neglect, corruption, theft, staff who have criminal convictions, the list is endless. If you agree with all this then work here.
Needs reported to authorities
Dogsbody (Former Employee) –  Alloa, Clackmannanshire17 May 2019
Typical day is watching staff using mobile phones for Facebook, snapchat etc. I learned that if only the parents eyes were opened to this playground farce. Management have their eyes tight shut to corrupt staff. Culture is face fits..hardest part is witnessing horrendous practise and knowing if you speak up you will be out the door. Most enjoyable part is leaving and going to report this shocking company.
Pros
Cons
A better sleep once I leave
Long shifts at times, pay could be more in line with other support companies.
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Fife8 February 2019
Learned quite a lot and training is excellent,
You do have to do a lot of modules at home which you dont get paid for.
Management are not the most helpful and struggle at times to get shifts covered.
The hardest part of the job is sleepovers as makes for a 24 or 27 hour shift sometimes.
Far too much cleaning and housework to do where the job should be supporting the service user.
Would like a bit more variety and not stuck with the same service user all the time, should be more movement within company to work with other service users.
Pros
Lots of free time spending doing nothing.
Cons
Lone working.
Liars
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Alloa, Clackmannanshire3 February 2019
Don’t know how they get away with this, the management are lieing cheating false corrupt bullies. They don’t even like the children, or staff, unless you are a crawler. Avoid for your sanity.
Pros
Kids
Cons
Managers
Don’t work here
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Lanark24 January 2019
Where to start!! Management is a total joke, you phone asking for help and it can take up to an hour for them to even come to the house you’re in, and by then all they do is stand about and do nothing, you will constantly get bombarded with phone calls and texts asking for you to cover shifts and you get attitude when you stay no. You’ll be on shift waiting for changeover to be phoned asking if you can stay on because they won’t be arriving leaving you somethings for the full shift or hours waiting for other cover, ever service user incident is constantly blamed on staff! Staff morale is very low and it’s a very negative environment. If staff is ill alll you get is attitude about even with a doctors line... managers have favourites and let these people away with everything whereas nobody else gets that treatment(which nobody should) talking to managers about concerns and upsets get you nowhere, i was let go because I was a casual member of staff and I took days off due to ill health and was treated like dirt. Staff can be just as bad as gossiping is something popular in Scottish autism. The service users are brilliant and the bonds you make with them change the person you are, I am very grateful to have worked with such amazing guys. If you’re someone who keeps there head down and does everything by the book and tries to not even speak to anyone this is the job for you! But the long ours can be very overwhelming and can you make you physically and emotionally drained.
Pros
Service users, friends you can make
Cons
Long ours, poor management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Scottish Autism. Our community is ready to answer.

Scottish Autism Reviews by Location