Scottish Ambulance Service

Scottish Ambulance Service Employee Reviews

United Kingdom41 reviews
Good position in Glasgow but poorly managed causing disharmony.
As an organization they need to provide more in-service training to prepare staff for the needs of the future.
Lots of long hours, very stressful job. You see a lot of life and death on the job and some may find this difficult to deal with but they are very good at supporting you
SAS took advantage of my good nature. I had to work 6/7 weeks 24/7 from home address. On my time off work I had to apply for Welfare Benefits as my pay was so poor.
The control room is run by bullies. Manangement dont care about their staff. Mobile phones are banned but supervisors blatantly use them in front of you. One rule for some and another rule for others. Paid less than the Dispatchers for doing a much more stressful job and they keep dangling the wage rise carrot in front of your face. Big turnover of staff. Hated working there!
I worked for the SAS for 15 years. I started off in control then worked on the road as a Technician. In control you are treated as a second class citizen, on the road you do nothing and end up becoming lazy. Management are horrendous and bullying is rife. Unless your face fits you are treated very poorly.
Pros
Free poorly made uniform and wages are okay and paid on time
Cons
Spoken to like something scraped off the pavement, as control you are just a number and have to take abuse off mobile staff all the time
Avoid. You may think taking this job you will be helping people and be working for an amazing organisation but you are not. Management have no care over there staff whatsoever. Promise you so many things when really they are only interested in climbing their on ladder regardless of what effect that has on you. You will only get somewhere here if your aunt, uncle, mum or dad etc have worked here before. You work 12 hour shifts with a meaningless 45 minute break which some management like to dictate to you how you use it, leave you desk for a breather (because you know it’s a pretty hard job) and you’ll be mined at. Every manager has their own way of doing something..... basically because no one has a f**** clue what’s actually going on, so good luck trying to fit their perfect audits ! Massively underpaid and under appreciated for what you do.
Pros
Cons
All of the above and many more
The Control Centre was an extremely toxic place to work.
Lots of bullying taking place and I myself was bullied out of the role.

Management are a joke and mostly incompetent.

The job is highly stressful, working 12 hour shifts answering 999 calls. Some of the callers were in life and death situations and you had to retrieve information wuickly whilst teying to calm them down.
Have worked for the Ambulance Service for 28 years. Has many challenging rewards. Has progressed vastly for patient care. A lot of additional skills have been given to Accident : Emergency crew's. This is good for patient assessment, patients being given more life saving drugs :treatment : skills. Patients condition being treated sooner rather than later.
Workload continues to build and I prioritise. working on complex difficult complaints and are often deaths.

no welfare offered by line manager, lack of support.

I have learned a great deal and enhanced my inter personal skills tremendously managing these cases.
Pros
holidays and paid leave
Cons
complex nature of role
I joined the service to do a rewarding job but it has become stressful due to the sense of not being supported and a culture of fear. I want to leave.
Poor management culture with no leadership. Nil concern about staff welfare. Examples of bullying within the organisation. Lip service paid to Health & Safety.
Full of bullies. face doesn’t fit you won’t be welcome. It’s a shame because the actual job is really good however the people are awful. I’ve never worked in a place where people are so unhappy. The only happy ones are the clique.
Amazing colleauges, poor progression if you do not want to become clinical. Excellent job security. Flexible working allows for excellent work life balance.
Pros
Colleagues, great work life balance
Cons
management
frontline paramedic working on call in a rural setting which means working Friday to Friday 24 hrs a day then 7 days off. hardest part dealing with sick children.
Good work ethic in a pleasant environment. Additional training opportunities available. helpful and friendly colleagues. Unfortunately limited career development opportunities.
current employee, do not join this organisation thinking youll be managed well, its a terrible joke how you are left in a disorganised and unsupported structure with no opportunity to progress due to manager bully boy antics..... my advise is keep looking for a job where you will be appreciated for you and what you can bring to the company you join. awful environment in the control room and frontline isn't much better!! nothing to enjoy here anymore.....
Pros
nothing
Cons
terrible management
The job can be rewarding. There was a lot I loved about my job as a dispatcher. I was very good at it but the increase in workload is making the job increasingly difficult. I found myself taking stress home and dreading going to work. The ridiculous amount of abuse the Service gets from the general public and GP’s and not being able to advise on other arrangements for healthcare other than a life saving Ambulance is one of the biggest contributors to how busy and overworked everybody is. More awareness and better guidelines on dealing with hoax callers would be beneficial but that would involve people on salaries of £85,000+ actively doing a job
Pros
Good relations with road staff and colleagues
Cons
Too many overpaid pen pushers and not enough frontline staff
I really enjoyed this position, the clients that I spoke with where all very warm and kind maybe because the company was providing a service for them that they needed
Currently most of the 999 calls which are classed as emergencies are anything but and you are basically a glorified taxi driver for people who should at best have been told to see their GP.

Continually belled out in unchecked vehicles, delayed or missed rest breaks and kept late means staff stress levels are high and many are actively seeking alternative employment.

Management is a joke with most managers having zero management ability and bullying is rife.

If you are serious about working in the care sector work anywhere but the ambulance service.
Pros
actually dealing with a genuine patient
Cons
no work/life balance; non-existent management
Morale extremely low, poor salary for the responsibility, stress and very long hours put upon the staff within the Scottish Ambulance Service. I have worked several 12 hour shifts with no breaks for food, staff regularly sit & eat at their desks because there are no staff to cover breaks and you do not want to leave your colleague to have to manage on their own & I feel management have now come to expect staff members not to take their breaks which of course are UNPAID. Absolutely no support provided from management in all my years employed in the service.
Pros
Helping save lives
Cons
Lack of support, long hours
I was an Ambulance Technician, I have to say there was not alot of support when I was going through a bad time, NO support what so ever. Work/Life balance? forget it, go work at tescos!
Pros
Saving lives
Cons
Long hours, sometimes no meal breaks for 8 plus hours!!!, bad managers, Rumour mill! over worked and under paid