Scotrail Employee Reviews

Has potential to be great job.
Tickets/ Gates (Former Employee) –  Queen street4 January 2019
To start with. Had to buy 2 warm dark jumpers, 2 white shirts, 2 black trousers and a dark fleece and comfortable dark footwear all before my first wage. Not given a locker for my bag it was just added to the lost property. Inadequate training given by a person that clearly didn't like training (and said they hated it) and would show this by questioning you aggressively if you had a problem with your ticket machine, which was old and heavy with constant ticket jams. Management contained 2 pumped up female staff who enjoyed just ordering certain employees around and having favourites that got a lot of preferential treatment. Early morning shifts I dont mind but when they don't stick to their word of giving me just one more hour a week to make it financially worth my while being there its not very moral boosting. Glad when I was told by phone not to come back after 6 weeks. A job that's all about giving and not enough getting back.
Pros
Meeting lots different people
Cons
Cold...undervalued
Good
Train presentation / station maintenance (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen31 August 2018
• Cleaning trains for next day transport.
• Maintenance of little electrical machine
• Maintenance of water hoses etc.
• COSHH Certified.
cleaning trains for next journey
Pros
free lunch
Cons
average hours
Very interesting
Train driver (Former Employee) –  Perth and Kinross30 August 2018
I worked for scotrail / British rail for 33 yrs as a Train driver before taking early retirement in Dec 2016. After a short spell as a kids entertainer conducting parties and bouncy castle hires , I have decided to seek full time employment again within the rail industry as I had worked there for three quarters of my life and feel it's still a big part of me.
Pros
Free travel
Cons
Na
Great place to work at
Steward (Current Employee) –  Inverness23 May 2018
On every day basis I work on my own and as part of a bigger team. I have learned time planning, organisation and leadership skills, as I worked as a team supervisor for more than a year. The hardest part is to plan all the small details ahead which is also the most enjoyable part of the job when the plan comes together. I like to live according to saying - proper planning prevents poor performance.
Pros
free travel
Cons
shift work with early starts and late finishes
Was a good paying job
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Glasgow Queen st5 February 2018
Took my redundancy in Oct 2017 was a good company to work for plenty overtime if you were interested but now I would like to try something different but still working with the public
Pros
Free rail travel
Cons
Shift work long ten hour shirts
Excellent
Gate Line Operator (Former Employee) –  Falkirk, Falkirk29 August 2017
In my short time working for scotrail I enjoyed every minute of it! Unfortunately had to give up due to drastic changes in family circumstances. I would recommend them to anyone seeking employment in this industry.
Secure employment. Strict rules. Good team work
Railway platform staff (Former Employee) –  Dundee City10 August 2017
Lots of customer service. Answering questions. Giving guidance. Cleaning surroundings offices and toilet areas. Adhering to safety critical criteria. Example. Train signals. Platform hazards. And keeping in contact with signal man and control bybtelephine anda radio . Carrying out orders from control. Working on own initiative when disruption and out of normal circumstances occurred.
Assisting disabled passengers . porting luggage
Pros
Free rail travel and pension
Cons
Late shifts. Long ahifts
Great work environment and co-workers
Train Conductor (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow27 July 2017
I'm employed as a train conductor with Scotrail. The shifts can be long and you are on your feet all day. The public can be awful and any person thinking of trying this job should be aware of the level of abuse front line staff face. Spitting, verbal abuse and offers of violence are not uncommon and I've been in court twice in a year. Plus side is your work colleagues who are fantastic and the perks are good.
Pros
Free tain travel and company phone.
Cons
Shifts and abusive passengers.
cleaner traincare
Train Cleaner (Former Employee) –  glagow13 June 2017
cleaning all trains doing lighting checks reporting to your team leader the railway was a good place to work I learned all about the workings of the train I enjoyed it
Pros
free travel
Cons
long hour
Fun and relaxed environment
Customer Service Advisor/CCTV operator (Former Employee) –  Paisley11 April 2017
Enjoyed my daily tastings as a CCTV operator found all my colleagues friendly and welcoming. Management was very supportive and approachable. Salary was excellent and there was always the option of overtime. Shift patterns were easy to adjust to.
Pros
Salary and days off
Cons
Shifts
An excellent company to work for
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh Waverley Station, City of Edinburgh23 February 2017
Selling and checking tickets for travellers makes up a typical shift. The hardest part of the job is continuous split shifts. The other staff are lovely to work with.
Good work ethic employee friendly
Station grade C (Former Employee) –  Motherwell, North Lanarkshire8 February 2017
I enjoyed my time at Scotrail very friendly staff we got very good training on all aspects of the job you were doing .They are a very customer oriented company the only part of the job that was disheartening is the drunks and troublemakers that frequented the station I worked mainly at Motherwell station
Pros
Enjoyable job
Cons
Unsociable behaviour by a certain element of the public eg neds and drunks
Kept really busy
Track side opp (Current Employee) –  Inverness, Highland15 December 2016
work well on my own also as part of a team /great problem solver with a knack for great time keeing an always willing to increase my skill set ... working all the time with safety of myself an my co workers ans alaways with a smile
scotrail
Train care (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, SCT11 December 2015
gdgd pay gdgd hours always woring sort staffed . trains are some times late so you cant get on it and to clean the toilets . passenger's leave there rubbish every where and then moan about the train being dirty
Pros
Cons
no night shift all
Productive and fun workplace
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, SCT2 August 2015
A relaxing atmosphere to work, friendly staff and management. Meeting different people each day was an awesome experience for me.
it was a good place to work
Carriage cleaner (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, SCT24 September 2014
it was a good place to work and the staff was good to work with as well the management were good as well but your were all ways under the managers spot light because the trains had to be kept clean .
Pros
you had good training and you had free uniform
Cons
you were doing nightshift all the time
great place to work
retired (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, SCT23 December 2013
Working for scotrail was great, Staff and management were first class,
Pros
great place to work
Cons
nil
great company to work for & job security
Train Driver (Former Employee) –  glasgow20 September 2013
the job entailed driving trains safely & on time to various destinations with various stopping patterns , realy good company to work for .
Pros
free travel on railway
Cons
not social friendly shifts
Highly demanding and Unpredictable
Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Glasgow15 August 2013
Based in the ScotRail Operations Control Office, this is a well paid and on occasion a rewarding position. Extremely tight deadlines make this a particularly demanding job at times. In addition to coping with the high expectations placed upon you, shifts are 9-12 hours long which can induce fatigue.

The workload faced on each shift can vary wildly, and can rarely be predicted in advance. Events outside the control office, such as infrastructure failures or train defects, or even prevailing weather conditions can influence the level of work faced. The ability to plan ahead is not always possible and even the best laid ones can be ripped up in a matter of minutes due to an unforeseen event. It does feel highly rewarding however, when a plan actually comes to fruition.
Pros
Free rail travel, excellent pension.
Cons
Long hours, high pressure, unpredictable workload
Easy Work
labourer (Former Employee) –  ayr27 July 2012
Travel alot between stations, litter pick, grass cut, paint