Science Museum Group Employee Reviews

Nice place to work
Visitor Experience Assistant (Current Employee) –  South Kensington13 February 2019
A few choices in contract, working in a nice part of London, work isn't too hard and the pay is decent, has busy days and quiet days and you're always interacting with lots of people from different walks of life, each with their own story to tell. The staff are wonderful and everybody gets along. You work in a new position each day and learn about the collection.
Pros
Shift hours and environment
Cons
half terms are really busy and can be overwhelming
Science and shake
Barista (Former Employee) –  London28 August 2018
during the day we worked hard to offer the perfect breakfast to the customers and we were always careful that the coffee and the milkshakes were perfect in every aspect
Place focused too much on the income, not much on the employee
Section Leader (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London24 August 2018
Hard work, long shifts, not much time to eat. Managers don't really care about employees, it's all about making money and you have to be like a robot listening to every given order without a doubt.
Pros
met amazing people from around the world, learned my limits and how to work hard
Cons
sacrificed my health, was taken advantage of
fun place to work
Waitress (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London25 June 2018
l loved interacting with the customers, you get to know more about the pepole that you are serving . The hardest part of the job is being on your feet foe a long period of time.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
sore feet
Creative, happy, intelligent
Web Content Editor (Former Employee) –  London12 June 2018
Great place to work. I'm sorry that the project I was hired for is ending and precipitating my departure. Lovely people, fascinating environment, beautiful part of town, good salary. People work hard but the work / life balance is utterly respected, as are individuals per se. Collaboration is paramount and hard work never turns into unmanageable stress.
Pros
Meet interesting people; free entry to paid museum and gallery exhibitions.
Cons
Hard to turn contract into full employment.
fun workplace
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  London1 June 2018
very nice and friendly people to work with, good timetable, not starting to early not finish to late. management could be improved, and some of the busiest days always short of staff.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
long hours with 30 minute break
High Motivation and encouragement
Gift Aid Officer (Former Employee) –  London21 May 2018
A typical day at work to me is always working hard and playing hard.
Being always a team player I learn in practice and asking.
There is no hardest part in the job because I am committed in full.
The most enjoyable part is the celebration of positive outcomes.
good place to work
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Manchester22 January 2018
the museum is a good place to work, really interesting being able to work around the galleries. the staff are friendly and everyone helps each other out
Pros
interesting place to work
Cons
can get very busy
Good Experience
Casual Assistant (Former Employee) –  South Kensington7 January 2018
The most positive experience I had was based on the fact that I generally enjoy visiting museums in my spare time.I did enjoy the various roles available ranging from assisting with flight simulators to printing tickets to dealing with general enquiries. I would appreciate anoher opportunity to train and work in a museum full time or work as a casual assistant inthe future.
Marketing and Communications Assistant (Former Employee) –  London5 October 2017
It was an amazing experience and I never wanted to leave I met so many new people and so many new skills hat I can take on for the rest of my life. I would love to work there again as it truly was fantastic.
Pros
Good working hours
A great place to work
Exhibition Volunteer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London2 October 2017
I volunteered with an exhibition and, though my time there was short, it was wonderful. Friendly coworkers and a lively environment which I fell in love with from the word go. I would absolutely return to work here at some point in the future.
A laid back yet exciting work environment with fantastic management and training.
Casual Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  York7 September 2017
I have been working with the science museum group at the national railway museum for about three months now and I am thoroughly enjoying my time here, I haven't been treated poorly at all and the training has been excellent and I believe that a lot of other places could learn a lot from them and how they run things.

The only criticism I have is the fact that I am working on a casual contract which is essentially a zero hours contract with a prettier name and they have been hiring a number of people for permanent positions with 14 or more hours which leaves next to no hours for us on casual contracts. A bit more communication about available positions wouldn't go a miss, other than that I have no issue with this job. Probably something for future employees to consider, but I think that's part of the territory of zero hours contracts.

Training has always been thorough and prompt, I have been trusted and made to feel unbelievably welcome from the very first day, and was not left on my own until I felt comfortable to do so. Most management are of a similar age range to me (mid to late twenties) so I've found that they are more understanding with personal issues and are easy to get on with, which, for me personally, improves morale. We all get along and we have a healthy balance of professionalism and friendly rapport.

You aren't belittled or made to feel like a burden when you make errors either, they're very understanding and things can be rectified easily. I think many, if not all, are completely understanding because of the fact we all appreciate that each of us had
  more... to start somewhere at the bottom of the line and it's always great to build each other up and I definitely get a supportive and welcoming vibe from my colleagues.

There is absolutely no cattiness, gossiping or side-taking like I've experienced in previous retail roles which is honestly a breath of fresh air, I really think that the team here should be proud of themselves for that as it genuinely is a rarity to find somewhere that doesn't have that element to at least some varying degree. Each sector is hired by different companies (i.e. retail, security, food and catering, volunteers etc) so we are employed by different companies but work all under the same roof and there is no conflict or holier-than-thou attitudes whatsoever. Everyone seems to have a good sense of humour and are well mannered and introduce themselves and welcome you to the place. Really lovely bunch of people to work with at the railway museum!

Pay isn't great but it's standard minimum wage, never had any issues with being paid on time or having the correct amount paid to me unlike a lot of my past employment. Everything seems to run quite smoothly here, for my experience at least. It can get busy during school holidays but you find that it's better when it's busy as there's always something to do and time goes by quicker!

I would highly recommend working at the railway museum if you're looking for a bit of extra money on the side, it's particularly handy for students studying locally here as well as there a couple of casuals who attend university and come in occasionally. It's a nice and friendly atmosphere that is unbelievably easy to settle into, and that's coming from someone who once had crippling social anxiety. (I still have it, I just find it much more tolerable being in calm environments like this!)
Pros
friendly working environment, great managers, excellent training
Cons
unreliable no guarantee of hours
Productive and fun work placement, educational and a new challenge.
Voluntary Worker (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London27 May 2017
I have not yet begun my volunteering with the Science Museum but will be this summer. I will be working alongside their Robots project which I know will be both fun and a great opportunity to add to my cv.
Excellent
Estates Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bradford6 July 2016
Excellent place to work, i was biased on a temporary contract- highly recommended place to work if working within the area
Interesting place to work
Stockroom and Replenishment Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, ENG24 September 2015
A typical day at work is always busy with everything having to be time managed.
I have learned how to manage under pressure and work as a team.
The management is very supportive and understanding of what actually is needed to be done and what that can physically entail through out the day.
I work in a small time where we can all rely on each other for support.
The hardest part of the job is definitely the physical side of things and the most enjoyable being when everything comes together and we achieve our goals.
Pros
Great location to work in
Cons
Early starts and working weekends
Short time but Good experience.
Employee, Servest (Former Employee) –  london11 July 2015
My job at science museum in London was a very good experience towards my laboral life. I learned to work as a team and respect the orders my bosses gave me.
They loved me there and wanted me to work more hours every day, but at the time I was studying and university did not give me that versatility, therefore i had to leave.
Pros
good team coordination, nice environment
Cons
timetable, location.
Exciting, visitor centred environment
Visitor Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester3 June 2013
Typical day would consist of opening up the Museum, ensuring all work stations are clean an dpresentable. Manage the main recepion desk, answer calls from both inside and outside customers, man the switchboard, upsell exhibitions and products, cover museum shop when busy, meet and greet visitors, conference clients and sales reps, man the car park, highlight any health and safety issues, patrol museum as part of general invigilation of galleries and to be a security presence. Advise visitors of other areas around Manchester and general tourist information. Generate donations from visitors. Cash up till points at end of day. Close down galleries ensuring all visitors have left the premises and secure the site.
Pros
meet interesting people each day, each day is different
Nice and Quiet
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  South Kensington, ENG2 June 2013
Volunteered, had a great time
Very friendly staff
No per dium for volunteers
easy to get to
Pros
Esay going
Cons
volunteer work
Great venue to work in
Event Sales Executive (Current Employee) –  Events Team23 April 2013
The events team are lovely and there are plenty of perks to the job. However these are slightly over shadowed by the lack of progression and pay given the venue is a charity.
Very interesting place to work
Visitor Experience Support Officer (Former Employee) –  London4 March 2013
Very busy venue to work especially during peak periods, but so many interesting people and an everyday challenge.
Pros
access to all sorts of interesting information

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Science Museum Group. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2