Science Museum Group

Science Museum Group Employee Reviews

United Kingdom30 reviews
Enjoyed working with the team who have been co-operative and helpful. Friendly and warm. Learnt new things at work and the operating system is user friendly.
Pros
Free snacks occasionally
Cons
Co-workers are great and even though its a busy environment its doable especially with such a large team of people.

However, management are very unprofessional and unprepared for their roles. Constantly complain about their workload and are too concerned with rewarding gossip instead of work ethic.
Friendly helpful colleagues from different cultural backgrounds. Line managers are young are fairly relaxed without placing pressure for targets. Job is varied.

Hardest part of the job

Less than London Living Wage

Most enjoyable

Mix of standing up and sitting down so not stuck at a computer
The science museum was a very interesting site especially for an apprentice, i had access to almost every system and this helped improve my knowledge a lot. I dealt with 1st, 2nd and even 3rd line calls during my time there.
The Science Museum is a very good place to work, grow, learn. It is a shame that the employees don't enjoy and do nothing but whining, complaining, & moaning all day. It can start with just a few conversations in the staff room, somebody that doesn't want to do their jobs, and spreads widely within the business and it permeates in the culture of the company. Employee negativity can impact not just on the morale of other staff but also on their levels of engagement and performance. Ultimately, if unmanaged it can eventually impact on productivity and therefore the profitability of the business.
Pros
Very chilled environment
Cons
Everybody moaning all the time ruining other people's experience
Working within a project at the science museum was great. Everyone was friendly, supportive and keen to build relationships which last outside the workplace.
No progression or learning development whatsoever.
Pros
Colleagues
Worked here for almost 3 years after leaving academia post-PhD. My desire was to communicate science to people.

Current role is very free and has fast-paced busy days, and often slow weeks/months in-between. You rarely ever have to bring any work home so the moment you clock out, you don't even have to worry about checking emails. This is great for work/life balance and there is a great deal of flexibility involved.

The other great thing is the opportunities you are given to interact with people of all ages and from all backgrounds and get to share your knowledge and passion for scientific topics with them. It is also exciting developing new science shows and props (when the rare opportunity presents itself).

The most important skills that you get several opportunities to develop are presenting, and science communication. The museum goes out of its way to offer show presenting courses at the beginning of your training which help greatly with your self confidence, and you start out small and work up to bigger shows you can run on your own. It is an amazing boost to self confidence and ability to interact with people of all kinds.

However that is about all that is great about this job. Job progression is non-existent and only involves you applying for a manager role within your branch when a manager leaves. Skill learning is pretty shallow, if you have a scientific background there is almost nothing else to learn beyond presenting in a science show setting.

Management is a mixed bag, you may get a micro manager, or a completely out of the picture one, or (if lucky)
 - more...
Pros
Huge flexibility, learn presenting skills, meet lots of people
Cons
Pay is bad and doesn't ever increase, most positions are stepping stones, revolving door of colleagues, slow moving culture, lots of showy improvements but not many real quality ones
The fundraising department is mission-led, very well organised with a strong organisational structure and inspirational leadership. A very positive workplace culture with a can-do attitude. A lot of investment in personal and professional development, but not many career progression opportunities. Overall one of the best places I've worked, but I am aware this is specifically the case for the development department and other parts of the organisation may not be managed in the same way.
Pros
Strong senior management and positive work environment
Cons
Lack of career progression opportunities
A few choices in contract, working in a nice part of London, work isn't too hard and the pay is decent, has busy days and quiet days and you're always interacting with lots of people from different walks of life, each with their own story to tell. The staff are wonderful and everybody gets along. You work in a new position each day and learn about the collection.
Pros
Shift hours and environment
Cons
half terms are really busy and can be overwhelming
during the day we worked hard to offer the perfect breakfast to the customers and we were always careful that the coffee and the milkshakes were perfect in every aspect
Hard work, long shifts, not much time to eat. Managers don't really care about employees, it's all about making money and you have to be like a robot listening to every given order without a doubt.
Pros
met amazing people from around the world, learned my limits and how to work hard
Cons
sacrificed my health, was taken advantage of
l loved interacting with the customers, you get to know more about the pepole that you are serving . The hardest part of the job is being on your feet foe a long period of time.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
sore feet
Great place to work. I'm sorry that the project I was hired for is ending and precipitating my departure. Lovely people, fascinating environment, beautiful part of town, good salary. People work hard but the work / life balance is utterly respected, as are individuals per se. Collaboration is paramount and hard work never turns into unmanageable stress.
Pros
Meet interesting people; free entry to paid museum and gallery exhibitions.
Cons
Hard to turn contract into full employment.
very nice and friendly people to work with, good timetable, not starting to early not finish to late. management could be improved, and some of the busiest days always short of staff.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
long hours with 30 minute break
A typical day at work to me is always working hard and playing hard.
Being always a team player I learn in practice and asking.

There is no hardest part in the job because I am committed in full.

The most enjoyable part is the celebration of positive outcomes.
the museum is a good place to work, really interesting being able to work around the galleries. the staff are friendly and everyone helps each other out
Pros
interesting place to work
Cons
can get very busy
The most positive experience I had was based on the fact that I generally enjoy visiting museums in my spare time.I did enjoy the various roles available ranging from assisting with flight simulators to printing tickets to dealing with general enquiries. I would appreciate anoher opportunity to train and work in a museum full time or work as a casual assistant inthe future.
It was an amazing experience and I never wanted to leave I met so many new people and so many new skills hat I can take on for the rest of my life. I would love to work there again as it truly was fantastic.
Pros
Good working hours
I volunteered with an exhibition and, though my time there was short, it was wonderful. Friendly coworkers and a lively environment which I fell in love with from the word go. I would absolutely return to work here at some point in the future.
I have been working with the science museum group at the national railway museum for about three months now and I am thoroughly enjoying my time here, I haven't been treated poorly at all and the training has been excellent and I believe that a lot of other places could learn a lot from them and how they run things.

The only criticism I have is the fact that I am working on a casual contract which is essentially a zero hours contract with a prettier name and they have been hiring a number of people for permanent positions with 14 or more hours which leaves next to no hours for us on casual contracts. A bit more communication about available positions wouldn't go a miss, other than that I have no issue with this job. Probably something for future employees to consider, but I think that's part of the territory of zero hours contracts.

Training has always been thorough and prompt, I have been trusted and made to feel unbelievably welcome from the very first day, and was not left on my own until I felt comfortable to do so. Most management are of a similar age range to me (mid to late twenties) so I've found that they are more understanding with personal issues and are easy to get on with, which, for me personally, improves morale. We all get along and we have a healthy balance of professionalism and friendly rapport.

You aren't belittled or made to feel like a burden when you make errors either, they're very understanding and things can be rectified easily. I think many, if not all, are completely understanding because of the fact we all appreciate that each of us had
 - more...
Pros
friendly working environment, great managers, excellent training
Cons
unreliable no guarantee of hours