Schuh Employee Reviews

Very unforgiving HR department
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Truro, Cornwall7 November 2018
I was so excited to start working at Schuh, from the outside the company seems to have a very chilled out atmosphere and attitude towards their employees. But I very much misjudged this.

They really only want fit, athletic, young people who have no other commitments. In one instance I was made to feel bad by the management for not running up and down the steep stairs to collect things from the storeroom. They were very unforgiving if you were sick or needed any time off and they gave us very little training and then got very frustrated if we got anything wrong.

The benefits were ok and because it’s a good brand it attracts very cheerful and understanding customers.

I would not recommend Schuh as your first employer, it’s not really geared to be supportive to a new workforce but their work pattern can not really be sustainable for anyone other than students.
Pros
Discount and great customers!
Cons
Limited training, poor hours, poor management structure and too focused on sales performance
Fun Company to work for. Found management to be disorganised bullies
Temporary Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Crawley, West Sussex1 August 2018
Worked for schuh as a summer temp whilst I was on break from university. You are thrown straight into the deep end and if you don't fulfill your targets you are picked on continuously. Full time Staff got away with stealing my sales and the management only criticised you never praised which makes you think If there's any point in even trying.

Management do not care about your personal issues such as anxiety which I take medication for and if you are not very talkative to staff members you get picked on. Continuously being told to improve and that you're not good enough even when you try your best.

Target based yet no comission. I got my contract terminated because I didn't pair check a pair of shoes beforehand which I did it was just a mixup with a customer and because I wanted to be shown how to fit kids feet when the store was dead, so I knew exactly what to do on a busy weekend.

Worst company i've worked for.
Pros
Discount
Great Company, just long hours
Trainee Manager (Current Employee) –  London18 June 2018
Working in management at Schuh, especially in London, has its pros and cons. Pros being the salary is good for most retail companies, and the people you work with are usually amazing, I have very little to complain about in terms of my colleagues. Another pro is the level of training you get from Schuh is second to none, it's amazing and well thought out whilst being a leader in the retail sector in providing exceptional levels of customer service. Holiday benefits are good too, although I don't agree that you don't get paid any extra in working a bank holiday or time in lieu.

Cons, for me especially, is working till 11 pm in Central London - absolutely absurd hours whilst staying open till 9 pm on a Sunday - travel into London on a Sunday is a nightmare as it is. Getting paid 37.5h a week, when in reality you're working 40h and not getting recompensated for this is rather frustrating, that 0.5h a week would go a long way in our pay packets.
Pros
Wages, Good work culture, holiday package.
Cons
Long hours in london, no extra pay on bank holidays, sunday hours.
Good company to work for- poor, rude management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lakeside Shopping Centre26 April 2018
Really enjoyed my time at Schuh. It is a great company to work for with many benefits and good pay!
However, management are bullies and are rude to staff members.
They are too pushy with sales and trying to make you sell add ons such as crep protect- to the point where they are constantly reminding you and whispering it in your ear in front of your customer!!

Only care about targets and talk to you unprofessionally when you are under pressure getting shoes etc.
Would not work at the Lakeside branch due to certain managers.
Pros
Excellent rate of pay for young workers and discount
Cons
Rude management
good and bad
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire7 January 2019
fast paced when you work in a large store
good staff discount
hours can be hard to balance with out of work life
management can be bullies
good pension scheme
worked in a few stores and staff are always easy to get along with
Pros
good discount
Cons
hours can be long at xmas
Fun workplace but unorganized
Seasonal Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Meadowhall / Leeds2 October 2018
After working here for over a year, you learn confidence, time management and how to work with different people. However, management is disappointing due to a lack of organization and lack of communication. Each store tends to have at least 5 managers who struggle to communicate between them. for example, if you were to ask one manager for a day off, the message does not seem to get passed on to others.
Pros
Good discounts, Good targets and options for promotions within the company
Cons
Disorganized management
Good if you want to work hard
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hertfordshire21 January 2019
I enjoyed the job at schuh, the way in which you are told to do sales I found fun. I enjoyed having targets as this pushed me to work harder. It can be a lot to pick up quickly and if you aren't confident talking to customers you may struggle. I enjoyed most of my customers and it was fun to help them find shoes they wanted. i also trained as a kids fitter which can be stressful but teaches you good skills. my colleagues were nice. Pay is average. I left because I needed more hours
Pros
40% discount
Cons
On your feet all day, can be difficult to get hours
Horrible management in brent cross!
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London9 October 2018
I worked at Brent cross as a temporary sales advisor. From the moment I got the job I realised that the managers were ignorant bullies who do not care about their staff.
I suffer from anxiety and this was never taken into account when I felt like I couldn’t cope I was told to “try harder”.
What I must say is that the pay 7.44 is okay for under 18s but everybody gets paid the same so if your over 18 it really isnt worth it. No advancement to supervisors. Managers do not help getting shoes and end up pinging you on your iscan eventhough you are serving other people. Unless you want to be depressed and unhappy I would avoid Schuh at all costs. Seriously.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Bully managers
Best retail place to work
Customer assistant/Stockroom management/supervisor (Former Employee) –  Luton7 January 2019
Worked at the schuh Luton store for two years and was the best experience of my working life. The management was fair and never spoke down on you the other staff members were kind and helpful it ended up being a family because of how closely knitted we were. great staff discount lots of extra hours for part timers only cons were sometimes rude and difficult customers but that’s what comes with a retail job would definitely work here again
Pros
Postitive and happy working environment
Cons
Difficult customers
fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Livingston, UK3 April 2018
Schuh was my first ever job. It was fast paced which I liked as it made the day fly by. I got good benefits at Schuh and still continue to shop there today. Most of my teammates were very friendly and helped meow a lot when needed. The hardest part of the job was how busy it became at times where I had to serve up to four customers at a time.
Pros
the benefits and bonuses
Cons
how busy it got at times

Want to know more about Schuh?

Ask a question
fun and productive
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne20 May 2018
Schuh is a very good positive and fun environment to work in. it has tasks everyday whilst working your best to provide great service. flexible hours and safe trustworthy company.
Pros
salary
Cons
N/a
Fun and friendly place to work!
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kingston upon Thames, Greater London15 January 2019
Schuh is the first shop I worked in and loved it from the get go! Everyone was up to getting to know you and managers had no problems answering any questions. Really flexible hours and no problem finding someone to cover a shift. Days can be tiring from running up and down stairs all day to grab shoes but shifts don’t tend be to long for part time staff. Always loads of overtime available to take. Can be busy at times but also have very quiet periods. Managers very chatty and friendly, and don’t act superior, also managers willing to keep teaching new things in the job.
Overall great place to work!
Pros
Discount, friendly staff, flexible hours
Cons
Tiring days from constantly running to grab shoes
competitive workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow21 November 2017
Schuh is very focused on working towards and exceeding individual/store daily/weekly/mnthly targets which i loved and i am quite competitive.

Management done their job but some had some "favouritism" problems. I was a christmas temp so there was no guarantee that i would be kept on but in my last days i was taken in to a room and told i was "one of the best christmas temps" they had this year but they couldn't keep anyone on this year. They actually lied about this and kept on several other christmas temps which I thought was extremely unprofessional and would have much preferred to be told the truth.

The hardest part of working here was not the job itself but probably working with some of the permanent staff who weren't the most welcoming which could be quite uncomfortable for new starts.

The best part of this job was the wage and the benefits/discounts which were really good for my age at the time.
Pros
good salary
Fun Workplace
Sales Assistant/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Chester, Cheshire17 July 2018
I have overall very much enjoyed my time at Schuh, the opportunities for advancement are clear as most people that work for the company have all worked there way up from a position similar to mine.
The culture around the shop is one of hardwork but have fun and enjoy coming to work. Coming into work at Schuh isn't so hard when most of the people you work with are your friends.
Pros
Discounts on shoes
Good perks, bad managers
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Newport21 January 2019
You get great perks such as 50% off shoes and gift cards to give to others. However the culture isn’t nice to work in. You’re very pressurised all the time and staff make you wear a “bag of shame” for your shift If you haven’t met your targets for the day. I quit because of this as I felt it was unethical. Poor flexibility with booking holidays and time off for exams etc. They expect you to do more than your role entails.
Pros
Discount on stock
Cons
Bad managers
Good if you like being competitive
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Nottingham30 August 2018
So each month there would be a chart of employees and highlight the top 3 employees based on their sales. However this creates toxicity between the employees as I had someone have a go at me because I was looking out for their customer and she thought I was trying to steal her sale.
Mistakes are not tolerated, if you're clumsy, this is not the job for you.
I made mistakes and made to feel like I brought the companys reputation down as it's all about their reviews and one mistake could equal their review average going down then "that looks bad on all of us".
Pros
Good discount on shoes.
Cons
Short shifts maybe 3/4 hour shifts, Still hired new people even though there wasn't enough hours to go around all ready, and uses facebook to give away hours, so a constant presence on facebook is needed if you need hours.
Fun and Friendly work environment
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London13 September 2018
working with this company has been amazing, it is extremely easy to balance your student life and your work life, the staff discounts are great and everyone you work with is very lovely. hardest part of the job is just the difficult customers you sometimes face but overall a good job.
Amazing company to work for:
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Gateshead6 September 2018
Amazing company, always wants every staff member to succeed. Training is provided monthly and management teams always want staff to enhance their skills. Workplace culture is dynamic, friendly, everyone is so diverse and we all work so well as a team.
Pros
Discounts!!
Enjoyable workplace
Retail, Sales and Stockroom assistant (Former Employee) –  London, UK12 December 2018
At schuh i was able to meet fellow co workers who i was able to get along with quickly, this essentially enhanced my teamwork skills. The management was great and supportive making it easy to settle in.
Pros
discounts, flexiblity
Productive and a fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Chelmsford9 August 2018
I have improved on many skills whilst working at Schuh. I have also learnt new ones. I mostly enjoy working with other staff members,they are very friendly and approachable.The hardest part of the job would be making sure that each of the customers is served whilst is busy in the shop.The management team are very reliable and also friendly.
Pros
discounts
Cons
not enough hours