Schuh Employee Reviews

Very unforgiving HR department
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Truro, Cornwall7 November 2018
I was so excited to start working at Schuh, from the outside the company seems to have a very chilled out atmosphere and attitude towards their employees. But I very much misjudged this.

They really only want fit, athletic, young people who have no other commitments. In one instance I was made to feel bad by the management for not running up and down the steep stairs to collect things from the storeroom. They were very unforgiving if you were sick or needed any time off and they gave us very little training and then got very frustrated if we got anything wrong.

The benefits were ok and because it’s a good brand it attracts very cheerful and understanding customers.

I would not recommend Schuh as your first employer, it’s not really geared to be supportive to a new workforce but their work pattern can not really be sustainable for anyone other than students.
Pros
Discount and great customers!
Cons
Limited training, poor hours, poor management structure and too focused on sales performance
Horrible management in brent cross!
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London9 October 2018
I worked at Brent cross as a temporary sales advisor. From the moment I got the job I realised that the managers were ignorant bullies who do not care about their staff.
I suffer from anxiety and this was never taken into account when I felt like I couldn’t cope I was told to “try harder”.
What I must say is that the pay 7.44 is okay for under 18s but everybody gets paid the same so if your over 18 it really isnt worth it. No advancement to supervisors. Managers do not help getting shoes and end up pinging you on your iscan eventhough you are serving other people. Unless you want to be depressed and unhappy I would avoid Schuh at all costs. Seriously.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Bully managers
Fun workplace
Customer service (Current Employee) –  Londonderry, County Londonderry24 September 2018
A typical day working within schuh can be very busy, I am kids trained which allows me to fit children's shoes to ensure that they are getting the correct sizing of shoes and I am there to assist the parents and make their day a little easier. I enjoy working with my colleagues, within schuh I have met friends for life.
Pros
Good discount
Cons
Busy periods of the year, ie back to school
Fun and Friendly work environment
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London13 September 2018
working with this company has been amazing, it is extremely easy to balance your student life and your work life, the staff discounts are great and everyone you work with is very lovely. hardest part of the job is just the difficult customers you sometimes face but overall a good job.
Amazing company to work for!
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne8 September 2018
A fun and family feel to the workplace! Great likeminded young employees that can enjoy coming to work. Management are fantastic at listening to staff and their needs while keeping a fun and social environment that rubs off onto the customers
Amazing company to work for:
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Gateshead6 September 2018
Amazing company, always wants every staff member to succeed. Training is provided monthly and management teams always want staff to enhance their skills. Workplace culture is dynamic, friendly, everyone is so diverse and we all work so well as a team.
Pros
Discounts!!
Good job
Sales Advisor and Stockroom Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nottingham5 September 2018
Good place to work, people are friendly, rarely any bad or difficult customers, wage okay for basic retail work. Management okay but rarely work with consistent management.
Good if you like being competitive
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Nottingham30 August 2018
So each month there would be a chart of employees and highlight the top 3 employees based on their sales. However this creates toxicity between the employees as I had someone have a go at me because I was looking out for their customer and she thought I was trying to steal her sale.
Mistakes are not tolerated, if you're clumsy, this is not the job for you.
I made mistakes and made to feel like I brought the companys reputation down as it's all about their reviews and one mistake could equal their review average going down then "that looks bad on all of us".
Pros
Good discount on shoes.
Cons
Short shifts maybe 3/4 hour shifts, Still hired new people even though there wasn't enough hours to go around all ready, and uses facebook to give away hours, so a constant presence on facebook is needed if you need hours.
Productive and a fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Chelmsford9 August 2018
I have improved on many skills whilst working at Schuh. I have also learnt new ones. I mostly enjoy working with other staff members,they are very friendly and approachable.The hardest part of the job would be making sure that each of the customers is served whilst is busy in the shop.The management team are very reliable and also friendly.
Pros
discounts
Cons
not enough hours
Fun Company to work for. Found management to be disorganised bullies
Temporary Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Crawley, West Sussex1 August 2018
Worked for schuh as a summer temp whilst I was on break from university. You are thrown straight into the deep end and if you don't fulfill your targets you are picked on continuously. Full time Staff got away with stealing my sales and the management only criticised you never praised which makes you think If there's any point in even trying.

Management do not care about your personal issues such as anxiety which I take medication for and if you are not very talkative to staff members you get picked on. Continuously being told to improve and that you're not good enough even when you try your best.

Target based yet no comission. I got my contract terminated because I didn't pair check a pair of shoes beforehand which I did it was just a mixup with a customer and because I wanted to be shown how to fit kids feet when the store was dead, so I knew exactly what to do on a busy weekend.

Worst company i've worked for.
Pros
Discount
Enjoyable and energetic workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire25 July 2018
Schuh was a fun and energetic place to work, especially due to the characters working there. Everyone were very welcoming and easy to work with, and had an individuality about them which made them interesting. You are never bored if you are working at Schuh as there is always something to do, which is beneficial for most people.
Hardworking yet rewarding
Stock Processing Advisor (Current Employee) –  Livingston18 July 2018
An working environment that doesn't take itself too seriously, but still motivates their employees to work to the best of their ability. Over time skills such as initiative will be greatly improved. Daily tasks provide a continuous workload, but are not too strenuous.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Some days can be repetitive
Fun Workplace
Sales Assistant/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Chester, Cheshire17 July 2018
I have overall very much enjoyed my time at Schuh, the opportunities for advancement are clear as most people that work for the company have all worked there way up from a position similar to mine.
The culture around the shop is one of hardwork but have fun and enjoy coming to work. Coming into work at Schuh isn't so hard when most of the people you work with are your friends.
Pros
Discounts on shoes
Productive and Fun workspace
Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Guildford19 June 2018
A brilliant first job and introduction to the working world. The Discount is brilliant and it is easy to progress if you wish. The hours are flexible and there are as much or as little hours as wanted.
Great Company, just long hours
Trainee Manager (Current Employee) –  London18 June 2018
Working in management at Schuh, especially in London, has its pros and cons. Pros being the salary is good for most retail companies, and the people you work with are usually amazing, I have very little to complain about in terms of my colleagues. Another pro is the level of training you get from Schuh is second to none, it's amazing and well thought out whilst being a leader in the retail sector in providing exceptional levels of customer service. Holiday benefits are good too, although I don't agree that you don't get paid any extra in working a bank holiday or time in lieu.

Cons, for me especially, is working till 11 pm in Central London - absolutely absurd hours whilst staying open till 9 pm on a Sunday - travel into London on a Sunday is a nightmare as it is. Getting paid 37.5h a week, when in reality you're working 40h and not getting recompensated for this is rather frustrating, that 0.5h a week would go a long way in our pay packets.
Pros
Wages, Good work culture, holiday package.
Cons
Long hours in london, no extra pay on bank holidays, sunday hours.
Unfriendly Environment
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth29 May 2018
I found Schuh to be very money hungry and felt that they didn't care about employees that much. I was told to leave any home issues behind as they didn't want to hear about anything personal you might be going through, this was the first alarm bell for me as my previous job always made sure that my well-being became before business. I found the management and particularly one member of management very patronizing and felt that I was constantly put down and compared to other employees about my performance in a negative way, and generally just didn't feel supported by management, I felt belittled. Management follows you around and makes assessments constantly on how you serve customers, which constantly makes you feel on edge and stressed, which makes you perform worse in the role. The pay is good, I was 17 at the time and paid £7.30 which is good for my age range. I think this job would suit very outgoing and confident people however if you are at all reserved, which I was when I was becoming familiar to the job, you will probably
be penalised for it. It was a
shame as I e
n
joyed the act
ual job and interacting with the customers.
Pros
Discount, Good Pay
Cons
Unfriendly environment, last minute shift cancellations, bad management
Demanding job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scotland26 May 2018
Simple and relatively easy going at points.

Training was VERY brief less than an hour then I was expected to be able to serve customers with no previous experience. As the training was so brief I had to ask how to operate the systems they did not show me and management just became angry that I did not learn it in the 40 minutes of training, even though it was not shown.

The hardest part of the job was having to serve 3 customers at once that may be very demanding so it is physically impossible to serve all 3 to the same standard.

Although, overall it was a valuable experience in the field.
Pros
Discounts
fun and productive
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne20 May 2018
Schuh is a very good positive and fun environment to work in. it has tasks everyday whilst working your best to provide great service. flexible hours and safe trustworthy company.
Pros
salary
Cons
N/a
Excellent place to work
Retail assistant (Former Employee) –  York14 May 2018
Great team of people and always treated as an individual, as a single parent at the time they gave me the chance that alot employers wouldn’t, they also worked around me to suit my needs, would 100% recommend this company to work for
Good company to work for- poor, rude management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lakeside Shopping Centre26 April 2018
Really enjoyed my time at Schuh. It is a great company to work for with many benefits and good pay!
However, management are bullies and are rude to staff members.
They are too pushy with sales and trying to make you sell add ons such as crep protect- to the point where they are constantly reminding you and whispering it in your ear in front of your customer!!

Only care about targets and talk to you unprofessionally when you are under pressure getting shoes etc.
Would not work at the Lakeside branch due to certain managers.
Pros
Excellent rate of pay for young workers and discount
Cons
Rude management