Savers Health and Beauty Employee Reviews for Store Manager

Don’t work here
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  West Midlands27 November 2018
Demoted from store manager to assistant mgr got told via salesfloor Team member lack of honesty and communication is awful tried making contact whilst on sick
Cons
No communication
4 December 2018

Hi,

Thankyou for taking the time to leave us this review

If you would like to get in touch with the People Team to discuss the issues you faced instore please do not hesistate.

Best of luck in your career.

Thanks

Stay away!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  midlands16 September 2018
Awful company! Rude and aggressive upper management. Very much "if your face fits". Long hours....massive unrealistic workload.

It maybe a discounter...but that doesn't mean you can run a shop with yourself and one other.

If you are looking at a job in retail, you are better off going to another discount retailer who will treat you with respect!
Pros
Discount at Superdrug
Cons
Too many to list!
9 November 2018

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review!

Were sorry to hear that your time with us wasn't great, if you would like to raise any issues then please contact The People Team who would be happy to help.

Best of Luck in your career,

Savers

hard busy and productive work
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  N wales14 September 2018
never time to standstill,
always plenty to do,
task focused a lot of the time,
good teamwork,
support from area managers .
some stock issues more stock rather than less.
plenty of training opportunities and plenty of scope and support to progress upwards
Pros
busy never boring, good atmospere
Cons
very physical, some stores are older buildings and thus can be very warm in summer and very cold in winter
5 November 2018

Thanks for the feedback!

We are so glad your time with us held lots of progress opportunities and that you had lots of support from our Area Managers!

Best of Luck with your career!

Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Bishop Auckland, Durham11 August 2018
I joined savers in July 2017 and after the initial 2 week induction started my role as an Assistant Manager in the Bishop Auckland store. In the year that I have been there I have learned a lot about both the company and my personal strengths.
The role is varied and no 2 days are the same, it can also be hard work more often than not, but extremely rewarding. The company as a whole is fantastic to work for, there is great support from head office, area managers and surrounding stores.
There is plenty of opportunity for progression as I myself have progressed to Store Manager recently, the company also offer different courses for progression which are extremely helpful in gaining extra knowledge and support for your role.
Savers also offer an amazing bonus scheme to all store management, which is very rewarding and very achievable and defiantly worth the hard work that goes in to achieving it.
If you are hard working, lead from the front and thrive in a fast paced ever changing environment then Savers is defiantly for you
Pros
Salary, Career Progression, fantastic benefits
2 November 2018

Hi There,
Thankyou for taking the time to leave this review.

We are so happy that you have had an amazing experience with Savers and that your hard work has progressed you to a Store Manager, Well done! At Savers we love to help develop our teams and it's great to hear that you've had good support from head office, area managers and other stores!

Many Thanks,

Savers

Work life balance was hard
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  West Sussex2 July 2018
I enjoyed the first few years with Savers, but as time went on it become difficult to balance my home and work life as I was doing long hours.
I chose to move careers as I wanted more time with my family.
Pros
Bonus available to achieve for managers

Hi There,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us this review.

We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your first few years and we are sorry to hear that you struggled with your work/life balance.

We would like to wish you the best of luck in your career.

Best wishes
Savers

Fantastic company to work for
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Lincolnshire29 June 2018
I have only worked for the company for a short time, but I love it, it’s challenging everyday but very rewarding.
The company are very focussed on training and setting store managers up to succeed which is a fantastic way of keeping great teams.
It is hard work but the fun we are able to have in store makes up for it.
Anyone thinking of joining this company I would say hand on heart do it as you won’t regret it one bit!!!
Pros
Great benefits, fantastic competitions to be won, great support.
Cons
Non if your not shy of hard work!!

Hi There,

Thank you for leaving this great feedback - we hope you continue to enjoy your time with us!

Fantastic company!
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands26 June 2018
I've been a store manager in other companies and I must say, after just 5 months with savers, I can open heartedly say, they really do care about their colleagues.

3 weeks training in management and constant support from my area manager who is easily the best AM I have ever had the pleasure to work for.

The support network is absolutely second to none, need any help? Just call People services and the company do everything they can to support you and your store.

The rewards with savers are incredible, no other company openly pays for holidays, events, parties and holds competitions to win 2 weeks laid holidays across the world. Massive discounts everywhere, tons of perks and a brilliant head office team make this a place to stay.

Trust me, ignore the negative comments here, if you need help whilst working, just ask any member of manager or head office and you'll see why they're the number 1 best company to work for.

Even with huge problems with deliveries or staff, the area managers and head office team work tirelessly to support, aid and help you and your team overcome any obstacles.

If you're considering applying, do it. You won't regret it!
Pros
Fantastic support, excellent communication, good breaks, salary is very good, no micro management.
Cons
Very long hours but if you don't mind hard work it's not a problem.

Hi There,

Thank you so much for leaving us this amazing feedback! We are so pleased to hear you are enjoying your time with us!

Savers

If you are serious about Retail this is the job for you!
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Bishop Auckland24 May 2018
Having worked in Retail over 30 years I joined Savers in October 2017 and after two weeks induction started by role as Store Manager in Bishop Auckland. Having been in the role since then I wanted to add my views to the number of reviews on here.
The pace is relentless and the number of staff hours available to use are minimal but this is what retail is all about! Yes, the company expect a lot from you and if you're afraid of hard work then the job is not for you! Like every job you get out only what you are prepared to put in? The job is very rewarding and you get plenty of support from everyone in volved with the company from the top down. No two days are ever the same and you go home exhausted every night but that is because you have given everything and you can go home feeling proud!
Pros
Ranked number 7 in the Times Best List of Retailers to work for!
6 June 2018

Hi There,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us this great and honest feedback!

We are so pleased that you are enjoying your time with us and that you would recommend us to others.

We hope you have many more great years with us!

Savers

Expect long hours and no reward
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Abingdon, Oxfordshire14 May 2018
Expect to have to smash your limited amount of staff into working on goodwill, a barebones store can leave just a manager and one employee so expect to leave them on a till whilst your literally doing everything else. Oh, and delivery days seem to be never ending out of hours because everything is dumped on shop floor overnight and you have to clear it before opening.
Pros
I actually can't think of one
Cons
Low Morale, minimum wage maximum efficiency

Hi There,

Thank you for leaving us this feedback.

We are very sorry to hear that you had issue's with staffing and general morale in the store.

If you would like to discuss it further please contact the People Team in Head Office.

productive,fun,rewarding
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Swansea, Swansea11 May 2018
A bright friendly environment to work, i have achieved so much and gained so many skills to enable me to continue to build and nuture my career goals, the work place is pleasant, bright and welcoming, the job is physical and demanding but very rewarding and satisfying I enjoy all aspects of the role and continous challenges it brings!
Pros
benefits, job satisfactiopn, progression
Cons
Busy envroment, long hours

Hi There,

Thanks for taking the time to leave us feedback!

We are pleased to hear you are enjoying your time with us and wish you the best of luck for the future.

Savers.

Not for everyone
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Armley9 May 2018
I started as a four hour sales assistant in 2012 and have had the opportunity and skill to be promoted in my orginal store twice. Then recently the end of 2016 given the chance to run my own store with a different team which is just under a hours drive from home which is its own challenge to always be motivated when theres a long delovery day ahead but it was my choice.
There is alot of support in the area that I am apart of and no-one is set up or left to fail. I have been apart of the Empower course which is one of many that the company offers to develop and grow and it helped me personally and I would recommend anyone who has the chance to go on any and all courses. There is sometimes the opportunity to help complete a new store, or a refresh (where we update an olde store with new equipment and a fresher look). Which a different and exicting experience.
The job is full of challenges and is hard some days but the staff are great to work with and makes the days easier and fun. No two days are the same from simple working stock and serving customers, completing paperwork and training; right to having deliveries cancelled and changing the whole week and staff around as things can change at a drop of a hat thats out of the companys control. Overall we are expected to complete alot of tasks and high standards to be kept it is hard but worth it.
Pros
Pay, Environment, Appreciation, Chance to develop
Cons
Long days.

Hi There,

Thank you for taking time to leave us feedback!

We are glad that you have enjoyed your career so far with Savers and that it has given you lots of opportunities and challenges with a variety of new skills and training.

The days can be long sometimes as that is the nature of our business.

We wish you every success in your career!

Many thanks

Store Manager (Current Employee) –  North West21 January 2018
* Very fast paced environment, means no days are the same and there’s always a job to be done.
* Although the salary isn’t the most amazing for retail management (although probably in line with similar discount retailers), I’ve found the bonus scheme is very fair and the benefits are great
* The training is great and there is a lot of focus on having the right people in the right place and lots of time and money put into advancing the right people to management roles etc
Pros
Feel respected by higher management. Good communication.
Cons
Can be long hours sometimes! Early starts for delivery shifts.
26 January 2018

Hi There,

Thanks for leaving us this feedback.

So glad to hear that you're enjoying your time with us! Keep up the amazing work!

Savers Family

Great place to work!
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh28 August 2017
I love working at savers- it's fun, rewarding and I have never worked with such a great team of people.
The management right up to the MD are down to earth and it really does feel like one big family all out to achieve the same goals.
It is hard work which I thrive on and no two days are the same.
I love the autonomy you are given to retail and drive your sales which does not exist in retail anymore.
The bonus scheme is fabulous as well- you can earn up to 30% of salary on very achievable, within your grasp budgets!
Pros
Bonus scheme, big family atmosphere
1 September 2017

Hi There,

Thank you for the lovely words!

It is great to hear that you are enjoying your Career with us!

Savers

Poor company to work for avoid at all costs
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester18 June 2017
I was an employee at Savers for just over a year. In that time I turned to store around from losing money into a profitable store. But as soon as that had the area manager turns on you and constantly hounds you because your on a high salary and it doesn't look good for her bonus. Basically never work for this company if you want to enjoy your days off and have a life outside of work not worrying about what your coming into. They pay peanuts average start is 16k for a store manager and if you go in on the top 21k you won't be there for long as your salary is way to high. Area 405 is the worst. No support, no training, bullied until you can not take anymore mentally and physically. Store wage budgets slashed continuously. Store staff are not looked after 4 hour contracts standard no breaks and holidays if you try and take them your blackmailed into feeling guilty you have booked time off. Don't work for this company the dole is better.
Pros
None honestly nothing.
Cons
Long hours, no breaks, blackmail, bullying, no training, loss of holidays, no over time, I could go on and on.
21 August 2017

Hi There,
Thank you for taking the time to leave us this feedback - if you would like to discuss this further then please contact the people team in head office.
We are always trying to improve as a business which is why we have jumped forward to the 10th Best Big Companies by the Sunday times. We do not pay 16k for Store Manager roles our salary bandings do not start that low for Assistant Store Managers - we wouldn't want you to be misinformed.
Please do not hesitate to get in contact - Thanks Savers.

Long Hours for Little Pay
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  UK28 September 2016
Typical working hours:

Delivery Days - Expect a 6am start (Delivery tends to be 3 times per week and you will have 2.5 hours to clear the delivery in time to open the store - this can be up to 25 cages of stock, which can be intense)

Other days you will probably work 8am to 18:30.

Store Managers are expected to work Saturdays, but you are advised that you can take at least one Saturday off per month (if you can).

They are very passionate about 'Savers Active Selling' - promoting special offers at the till and this is closely monitored and target driven. You will then have to email results daily at a set time and also attend a daily conference call to discus the stores performance, with follow up actions/coaching for underperforming stores.

The induction and training program is in the form of a work book and being sent to different stores to work alongside a 'lead manager' It's very intense and you have to be careful that you don't just end up being an extra person to stack the shelves. You will also watch a library of DVD's and complete some tests in relation to them.

There are lot's of daily procedures and policies to work to, along with maximising sales and ensuring the shop floor is continuously faced and looking presentable.

Entering and leaving the store is managed well with you having to sign in and out and be searched each time you leave.

I had a fantastic, approachable area manager - but I did hear some horror stories of some.

Some colleagues were great, some not so great.

Overall, this job is not for the faint hearted - it's a very demanding
  more... position and the salary unfortunately doesn't reflect the expectations, which is poor in comparison with the amount of hours you will end up having to work.  less
Great for progression
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Glasgow13 August 2016
Loved my time at savers I was livolved in all aspects of running the store store from cleaning, tills, merchandiseing, deliveries, all cash and daily due diligence paper work but now feel I need a new challenge
Pros
Great people and training
Manager
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Stamford4 July 2016
I thoroughly enjoy working as a store manager for savers. Especially getting to work with different customers every day. i currently manage a team of 13 in store.

The store i currently manager takes 34k per week so it is a very fast paced store to work in which makes it even more enjoyable.

I am looking for a new management position i can settle down in closer to home.
Hard work but rewarding
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Southampton21 June 2016
Ive worked for savers for almost 10 years. I came into the company as a weekend sales assistant, I worked hard and am now managing my own store. Savers is amazing for its progression and employee development. Don't get me wrong - its not been easy and there have been VERY challenging days, but I don't know other companies that are willing to invest in people like them!

Being a store manager is a very challenging role. But thats what I love about it! Its anything but boring and no two says are the same. I think the most challenging part of the job is keeping your team motivated for active selling at the tills. Its highly targeted and some weeks are easier than others. Active selling is a huge part of the company so you have to have the right frame of mind for it - If you don't like to sell, this company isn't for you! But if you do like to sell, they have some really good prizes for top performers from greggs vouchers for your team and love to shop vouchers to apple watches and holidays to USA!

On occasions you can work some long hours, but as longs as you have a good team around and a decent routine in place then the hours are very manageable. As well as your team in store, you get to know the other managers and assistant managers on your area and they are great for the days you need a little extra help! My area manager is always on the end of the phone when ever I have any issues or need some support.

The bonus scheme is very competitive for management, and is actually achievable unlike some companies! Its targeted on sales, shrink and hours. As long as you keep in
  more... line with your budget, your get a base bonus. If you then over achieve on your sales, your can treble your bonus!

PROS:
Superdrug discount card
GENEROUS bonus scheme
prizes for active selling
5 weeks holiday a year (plus bank holidays, 33days total)
supportive management (I have a fab area manager!)
progression through company

CONS:
Its hard work - rewarding - but its not for the lazy!
long hours on occasions
challenging figures to hit

Overall, Savers is a good company to work for. It has just been voted a top 25 company to work for by its employees. Its not a easy job - but its enjoyable and rewarding.
Pros
Bonus scheme, Decent salary, 5 weeks holiday a year
Cons
some long hours
Fun, energetic company. People focused discount retailer.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Kent3 April 2016
A very busy discount retailer which offers great training workshops and the opportunity to progress within the company. They offer great support in order to help you achieve your goals. Great company to work for.
Good company to work for
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Oswestry, ENG12 July 2013
Saver's is part of the A.S.Watson group.

I enjoyed my time working there and would happily return. I left in 2005 for another project, but was asked to return in 2007, which I did.
Pros
Plenty of contacts
Cons
Not always enough hours to run store.