Save the Children

Save the Children Employee Reviews

At times voluntary work can be challenging
As with many large organisations the management system enables loss of integrity. Valuable members are overlooked. Lack of capable leadership in key areas has sadly slowly eroded the capacity this charity has to provide a lifeline for others in our world.
Community shop manager
Fake promises, no structure and no security. Senior management have no level of understanding of what goes in the shops. It can shred any confidence you may have in two. Any plans or anything slightly commercial isnt allowed. Told it will be no good and ridiculous. Then to only find out the regional manager will take it as their own idea and implement in other shops. Work life
Great achievement
i enjoyed participating and rasing funds for this charity out of the blood, sweat, and energy i exhausted from my body to fight for children in dire need.
Not recommended for high performing employees
Senior Management Team & some supervisors are completely incompetent within their scope. Politics at different level. Very few employees are aligned to SAVE THE CHILDREN
The working environment is good, some things I really like are their management culture.
Save the Children International have a good child right program, that if any employee goes again those laws can be relive out their post.
Working for children
Brilliant place to work, I miss working there
Save the Children is one of the best charities I have ever worked for, they pay well and their ethos is fantastic.

You work hard but very much appreciated for the work that you do.
Pros
Management, friendliness, good pay structure
Cons
Well paid, flexible, friendly, no career progression
Management experience varies.
Work life balance can become difficult at times.

No career progression or investment in personal development.

Really sympathetic to employees with children and families.

Flexible working arrangementsqq

Good salary
Fun workplace
Relaxed workplace where volunteers can perform any tasks they wish at their own pace, where expenses are paid. Other staff are extremely friendly and helpful.
Raising fund for the charity, talking to people one on one everyday.
Having one on one conversations with people.
Dealing with with diverse people on a daily basis.

The most enjoyable part of my job is to see that after my shift i have raised money for the less privilege children.
Save yourself!!
Just terrible other workers will try get u sacked for hitting more targets them them managers side with them they taxed me 40 percent of my wages which never really got sorted out I’m still owed
A very interesting experience
A extremely busy environment that requires the ability to work on multiple projects on an open-plan space whilst hot-desking. Not an ideal place for professionals that engage in creative work as you will be asked to work from any virtual desktop or at best from a sofa and your laptop. At least 1000 people spread across 4 floors that engage in open conversation mainly via Skype which creates a chaotic atmosphere that could prove to be a bit distracting to say the least. Most professionals wear headphones and listen to music, even though it is highly likely that you will eventually get a tap on the shoulder and will be asked to turn your music down cos you have "leaky headphones". Coffee and tea provided. Good as a first time, school leavers job, with lots of young and energetic people with the crushing majority being women.
Very enjoyable
Liked the fact I could help the children to learn when we was doing arts and crafts. I also liked doing the questionnaires because It gave me perspective on how the adults were thinking.
The work is very varied and you never know what you are going to be working on next but exciting!
Every day is different you never know what is going to happen next, an average day is running meetings, attending meetings, working with your project teams and having fun!

The company has a nice blend of people from different backgrounds and everyone is willing to help each other.

I like the people I work with they are very supportive in every way.
Pros
Support your development i.e. training
Cons
No canteen
Lovely company to work for
Caring people and always looking at work life balance. They promoting flexible working and always try to accomadate each employee. Would highly remmomend working here.
Hard for junior staff to grow
your experience is very much dependent on the team you are on. There are some teams that are very supportive and some that are very challenging. They salary and benefits are not great.
very good to work for
always someone to meet and plenty of things to help out with. staff were very friendly and helpful would consider any one could get along there the hardest part of the job was dealing with complaints which i knew were out of my control
wonderful!
I briefly worked as a volunteer with Save The Children, and it was extremely rewarding to give up a few hours of a Saturday to help a charity, it also provided a bit of an easier entrance into the paid employment as I had some idea as to what I was doing.
Great oppurtunity
As a young person at the time co authored a research paper alongside save the children and it was a massively confidence boosting experience.
Pros
very good design team when it came to the research paper.
Cons
Unpaid when I was assured I would be.
The pay was good but no Management support
I was a Shop Manager based in the Westbourne shop. The Save The Children model is to empower the volunteers to ultimately run the shop. However in reality it was difficult to find people who were willing to take on that level of responsibility. If they did cover it was through pity so I could have a day off or a holiday. There was no Assistant Manager which meant that it was a free for all when I was not there and either nothing got done or they would take it upon themselves to do the wrong things. There was no support for my Retail Manager who would not dream of covering my shop and would rather see it closed as it 'wasn't her job to cover'. The culture is all wrong and surrounded by contraversy in the media. Why would any retailer want to see a shop shut and not cover it themselves. I don't understand. Higher Management give you too many objectives to achieve on your own and also run your shop alone if the volunteers can't make it in. I had 5 such action plans presented to me on one meeting. Really over the top and not in touch with reality. The contracts are only temporary and if you dont meant the objectives you are out, I saw this happen to a collegue just before Christmas! I left for a much better job with a local charity who really appreciate my efforts. I would steer clear of Save The Children completely unless you want a hard time!
Pros
Good salary and nice shop and decent stock from.London.
Cons
Lone working, difficult to get cover and no support.
Fun workplace
The boss is very understandable. And if you do not know, they are very patience to you, because you are a newer. It is a good place to denote you and help others.
Easy going shop work
Very stress free shop assistant role, other staff are friendly and never receive any criticism even when you make mistakes. Can be a little slow paced and staff sometimes bicker.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Save the Children. Our community is ready to answer.