Santander Bank Employee Reviews

Found 499 reviews matching the search See all 2,814 reviews
Fast paced reactive company
Service Controller (Former Employee) –  Cobolt Business Part, Newcastle upon Tyne20 November 2018
Typical day would involve arriving and managing a team of contractors. Keeping team to a high standard of compliance and ensuring KPI's where hit. Dealing with the usual call center challenges. HR of team members, performance issues and encouraging talent. As a contractor manager, you get little or no support with HR so everything has to be manually tracked using your own techniques. This is important to ensure that any questions raised about the team can be professionally addressed. IL35 Regulations are challenging when dealing with self employed contracted individuals.
Pros
Great salary and freedom to manage team
Cons
Shift work, work culture can be evasive, require experience as no management training given specifically.
Micromanaged & KPI Pressure
SENIOR PERSONAL BANKER (Former Employee) –  Oxford, Oxfordshire27 August 2018
Brand is Good overall I give TOP MARKS but Retail Banking life is awful. no work life balance-saturday working. too much pressure on selling their products if not you end up in development plan. politics when it comes to progression even if you know someone and get promoted salary rise is only 5%. worse pay when it comes to banking sector for PB/CSA. people external gets good salary package. Would not recommend as it has got poor work life, too much stress and wants you to take on more responsibility for less pay. good for working for a reputed brand & switch to HO roles or international roles.
Pros
Brand
Cons
KPI pressure, poor wage, micro managed.
Would not recommend
CSA (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London24 November 2018
thrown into the deep end from when you begin working there. no recognition for all the hard work you do. Management are only in it for themselves. Got promoted to assistant manager (CSM) and was left without training or coaching for 10 months or branch manager running a team of 6 cashiers to then be told they were going to withdraw my secondment with no valid reason so I stepped down before they could. Work related stress means nothing to them and will interrogate you about absenses even though you have been off with work stress. Pay is appalling for all the tasks they expect you to do. Want you to go digital but don’t align their expectations with this which then in turn affects your bonus. No appreciation for branches that are not in the city dealing with customers with lots of money. Promotions are usually based on who you know not what you know. Several branch managers without the ability to complete day to day tasks. Overall expect a lot from you with nothing in return
Cons
Work stress and unnecessary targets
Beware
Business Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Anglia17 September 2018
It claims to be a serious market player and in certain areas it can be but in corporate lending other market players are certainly better. A disappointing work culture exists which engenders a degree of uncertainty when it comes to continuity/security of employment. Senior management in the corporate side having an almost 'Victorian' attitude to employees and with poor man management skills. Potential employees beware, the grass is not always greener.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Poor man management
A disapointing start to my career
Branch (Former Employee) –  Anonymous9 July 2018
I started working in a Santander branch on the understanding that I was being offered a really good career.

The management teams at branch level have a very autocratic style and favor long serving experienced staff. Despite being enthusiastic and proactive I constantly felt like I was not being given a fair level of coaching and support to enable me to help Santander customers.

In my experience middle management do not make reasonable efforts to help employees who have additional needs. They advertise that they are inclusive of all people regardless of disability however this is not always the case.

You will need to be prepared to relocate branches if necessary because sometimes they expect you to drop everything and work somewhere else. I arrived at work one day and was directed to another branch which was a 1.5 hour commute from my home by train.

Management are fixated on sales referral targets rather than quality customer service. Performance and reward only accounts for sales and not how you actively help customers.
Pros
Good name to have on CV
Cons
There are so many, Salary is not competitive
Supportive and changing culture
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire7 January 2019
Smarter working is available for better work and home life balance.

A number of people networks such as Women in Business, Parents&Carers, Ethnicity@Work and Embrace all with truly support staff.

Learning opportunities however strongly employee led.

If you are flexible and adapt well with change, especially Digital you will enjoy working here.

Management culture is changing for the better.
Pros
On site GYM
Cons
Parking
Alliance & Leicester and Santander were both great banks to work for.
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire6 December 2018
Santander is a forward thinking bank and embraces new technologies to improve all aspects of banking efficiency. Santander has worked hard to improve it's customer experience and uses technology to ensure simplified and time effective methods for customers to arrange most of their banking requirements.
Pros
Reasonable pay structure, parking, staff benefits.
Cons
Long hours, with alternate shift patterns
Select Relationship Manager (Current Employee) –  England29 September 2018
Senior leadership have lots of good intentions in order to support staff. Benefits and salary good. Career progression slow once you get into a management position as all banks, reduction of staff has minimised career potential. But good for experience
Pros
Benefits, holiday, sick pay etc
Cons
Progression
Where to start
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside22 August 2018
Rude management that look down on team members esp the new starters, I have overheard conversations of a manager telling team to change their doctors appointment, I am shocked it’s a medical appointment.

Management are nasty and have favourites and make it no secret.

HR and management are super friends so don’t bother complaining to them and HR make far to many mistakes which your blamed for.

Work/Life Balance is BS booking time off is the same.

The only good thing is the pay isn’t to bad but for the abuse we put up with it should be higher.

Proof of how much the work/life balance check you card statements it will be pelican rouge !
Pros
Average wage
Cons
Horrrible management who bully and belittle team, long days, horrible aggressive customers, no support
good
Personal Banker (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London16 October 2018
good culture and work life balance. lots of charitable causes and involvement. hardest part of job is target structure. enjoyable part is meeting new customers and clients and helping them
Pros
discounts
Cons
career progression
Santander life
Relationship Manager (Current Employee) –  Belfast8 November 2018
I have had a great experience working within Santander and when I started in 2014 did not imagine building a career here long term however the opportunities from this company are endless and I have had a seamless journey in terms of job progression all whilst maintaining a healthy work/life balance.
Pros
latest shift is 9pm
Cons
pay progression
Good starter point for employment
Customer Telephony Advisor, Operations Level 1:2 (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne24 June 2018
- Wanted to give 2.5 stars, figured I'd round it up to 3
- Training period makes you believe the job is a brilliant and fair workplace
- Probation is the complete opposite
- Great opportunity to practice time management
- Great skills are developed throughout your time there, but TM's won't help you. Only the coaches.
- Your qualities are over-looked and your stats are everything
- Work becomes repetitive and almost robotic like. No flavour and flare to this job.
- Biggest advice, move into probation and start applying for other jobs that actually care about your progression.
- Saying all this, I owe Santander a huge thank you. They've taught me a big lesson in life and for that I will always be grateful to them.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Salary
10 years
personal banker (Former Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire22 November 2018
I worked at santander for nearly 12 years I worked under a variety of managers . The whole idea of my role personal banker was to sell insurance . In my time I've seen people advance people leave but also get promoted . The staff are amazing and should be proud of themselves and what they go through everday .CSA or a cashier is the hardest job on the branch and they have a lot of stress due to changing goalposts . How many times can you reinvent the wheel , basically it's a sales job it's as simple as that . I would recommend to anyone but if I'm honest they will use you when they need you , lie to you and will always tell you that you can advance but for the amount of work the wages are laughable . I earned just under 19000 after 12 years is that loyalty I earn more part time now
Pros
great team
Cons
managers, culture, lies, false communication
Same type of job each day
Risk Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire21 November 2018
Developing and providing BAU data across the Retail, Corporate & Commercial and Wholesale portfolios to stakeholders primarily within the Finance and Risk divisions. Changes to the data and reporting is documented and progressed using appropriate change management including testing and stakeholder approval. I created a traffic light dashboard for the Risk team in Excel using VBA to keep track of reporting that are due on WD. Testing SAS code and sequel code and automating their regular reporting system. Providing JIRA summary and updates for internal audit. Regular use of SAS and Sequel for adhoc request
Pros
location
Cons
same type of job
Unsuroprtive and poor manamgement
Case Handler (Former Employee) –  Newcastle Silver link area6 December 2018
Training was poor
Job and support on Live floor poor
Culture Poor
Management poor
Communication lacked and was below anything I have experianced before.
Pros
Some of the people you work with
Cons
Nothing good to say
Constantly changing
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Keighley20 July 2018
Retail banking constantly changing and adapting with the industry, therefore at the moment not the most secure career to be involved in.

Each branch differs significantly in their work ethic and attitude towards the job, never worked in the call centres so cannot speak for them
Pros
Employee benefits and supportive branch network
Cons
no consistency in appraisals/grading systems etc
good company to have in your cv
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Watford, Hertfordshire25 November 2018
good company to work for and start learning how to manage your finances better and customers.
a very different clientele ( people go very funny when you are dealing with their money ) and mistakes are not tolerated
lunches : you have no other choice that going on lunch at 11 or you don't get one
Pros
santander benefits
Cons
start 45 min early every day to prepare for the opening which you don't get paid for !
Santander
Cashier (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London27 February 2018
Handle all customer queries – ranging from how to deposit cash into another account to, enquiring for a loan.

Conducting the right checks when handling large amounts of cash, and when making large money transfers.

Checking cash in tills 3 times a day, to make sure there are no discrepancies

Booking customers in for appointments with personal advisors, so that can discuss loan or mortgage options.

Administration – collecting & filing paperwork, sending off faxes, sending emails to HR or to customers answer incoming phone calls & call potential clients to book them in.

Report to both personal advisors and management staff
Pros
Good salary, chance for progression
Cons
Work culture, very mundane
Informative work experience
Work Shadowing (Former Employee) –  Canterbury2 January 2019
Work shadowing the branch manager. Before completing my placement at the branch, I was required to research, and then present to the Branch Manager, ways in which Santander could improve its relationship and service with students and graduates. Key responsibilities included:

• Sales management.
• Risk management.
• People management.
• Customer service.
Awful place
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Llanelli, Carmarthenshire1 July 2018
Managers favour younger staff and no support offered for new mums or people with disabilities. Work in hours well over the 35 you are paid for and if you asked to be paid you would be told no and then pit on a development plan. Very male focused with a culture of blame. No help just left to paddle until you neither leave or you are managed out.
Pros
Cons
Long hours no flexibilty with kids or disabilites

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Santander Bank. Our community is ready to answer.