Sandwell and West Birmingham Hospitals NHS Trust

Sandwell and West Birmingham Hospitals NHS Trust Employee Reviews

United Kingdom31 reviews
Good company to work for. Would recommend others to work there.

I enjoyed my time there as a HR secretary a lot of in site working along side managers and HR Assistant Managers.
See how many people worked in the post advertised, and seek them out to understand why they left.
Dont believe what's promised at interview, unless you get it in writing.

Make sure you ask what in addition to the JD is requested from you.

Ask for a floor walk to check out morale.

Otherwise Goodluck.
Had a good time and loads of training. Occasionally we had team building exercises such as going out for such things as birthdays. Engineers were delighted jobs and areas. The only problem was the management in terms of fairness. There were outstanding irregularities that required redressing
No day is the same so you will never be bored, Enjoy working here, can’t see me working foe another company as I feel I have job security here they are also good in investing in staff
A typical day at work is so fast paced. As it’s a busy ward. It can be demanding. As states on my cv I have learnt so much. Such as ecg, bladder scans, urine analyst, observations. Caring for all kind of different patients.
Manager wise I have one of the best managers who looks after you and is very understanding.

The work place culture is fair and a mixture of every kind of person
I joined SWBH NHS because of the genuine desire to improve a critical part of the local economy. However it is the most backward organisation I have ever come across. The department is not taken seriously. There is little direction. And the desire to make things better becomes a major negative when you are unable to do anything of any real value. The basics are wrong in so many ways.

The people are generally nice but there is a real 'public sector culture' which coming from the private sector is very hard to understand.

Unfortunately this will be, certainly as a permanent employee, my first and last experience of working in the NHS.
Pros
Motivated by the organisation and desire to improve healthcare
Cons
Bad culture, unprofessional and uninspiring
Really enjoyed my time at city.approx 15yrs.work really hard but made all the easier by lovely workmates.bosses were good and approachable. Would recommend to anyone.low pay but job satisfaction is important too.
Pros
Nice people.nice bosses
Cons
Low pay.but its the same at all hospitals.very understaffed
High standards of cleaning to assigned areas whitin a hospital including wards and theatre in accordance with canpany polishing dusting and cleaning chemical or correct surface and area using buffer to clean hard floor mopping hovering replacing water in containers on wards serving meals to patients requests and collecting dishes monitored stock levels and brought to the attention of the supervisor to replenish
Pros
Break
Cons
10 hours week
A typical day would be starting handover from the previous staff members. then waking up the patients and getting breakfast to each patient. I found the working environment lacking in empathy for some patient that may have been seen as problematic.
A good hospital, sadly hit with financial difficulties, leading to a lack of training and encouragement from senior members of staff. It allowed me to get 18 months under my belt to move on. a strong stepping stone.
Pros
Security with jobs
Cons
A lack of training
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Sandwell and West Birmingham Hospitals NHS Trust?
it used to be a fantastic place to work for unfortunately as the years have passed by, your expected to cope permanent short staffed with managers having to meet targets for discharges therefore is no longer a really caring place as the NHS when it first commenced to see to the needs fully of the patents and all those within its care, care of the patient is is what the NHS was founded for never to be run as a business for making profit this unfortunately is now the case.
I felt as if I learnt a lot from this role. Everyone who I worked with was very understanding and helped me when needed. On a typical day I would great clients, help organise documents, input data into the Cohort software, research and compile data, assist in setting up new accounts, engaged in helping to sort the filing system and attended meetings to put forward ideas.

As I was working at the NHS, confidentiality was key. I learnt that keeping company information private is very important. This is because the NHS has got a lot of private information about individuals, so I had to make sure this personal information was kept secured and not accessible to people who didn't have a valid reason to access it.

The hardest part of the job was when I had to put forward an idea within a meeting. This is because the department I was working in was of a very high standard, so putting forward ideas to improve the organisation was difficult, however, being an IT student I was able to put forward IT-related ideas to make the department more efficient.

The most enjoyable part of this job is when I had to hand out leaflets and get people to sign up for a fitness class. I found this very enjoyable as I was able to meet new people and potentially help to improve the fitness of individuals.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Na
Set up and run out patient clinics.
Learn different diagnoses, computer skills.

Management is cross site so staff nurses are in charge of the department.

The hardest part of the job is being expected to stand on your feet most of the day, and running two or three clinics on your own.

The most enjoyable part of my job is giving high standard quality care to my patients and going home at the end of the day knowing I have gone that extra mile.
Pros
Day shifts only
Cons
standing for long periods at a time.
I enjoyed gathering a lot of experience and being able to expand my knowledge on certain activities such as health and being a care assistant. I was provided with all the correct necessities which were needed to fulfill my role that I was provided, this then helped me become a valuable member on the team.
Magnificent place to work, great team spirit and very supportive managerial system. The different departments provide high quality care to service users in a person centred way. Sandwell and West Birmingham NHS Trust is a learning hub, where everyday an opportunity arises for self development.
Pros
flexible
I had a great team but things could often be slow for a long time before everything got very fast paced at once - as is the nature of the NHS! Workplace morale was very much down while I was there but I hope it has stepped back up.
when i started i didn't know anything about working in a hospital i was placed with another health care assisstant who showed me around the ward and told me my duties then the next day i was left to do the duties with out any guidance i was left to my own devices i would have preferred to have a mentor to actually show me what to do.
Pros
you learn new things all the time
Cons
it can be busy
I thoroughly enjoyed observing and caring for young children in this workplace. I worked with children aged 3 months to 5 years and gained skills and learned to practice patience and dependance for others.
I worked here over 15 years ago, things have probably changed. When I worked here I undertook all aspects of patient care, it was hard work, but rewarding, but management lacked compassion and fairness.
Have enjoyed my time at SWBH. Organisation within the NHS is difficult to see. I have learned alot in my time here - mainly customer service skills. Management is good.
Good employers, continuous training , good work environment, will encourage people to undertake new skills , good communicators, staff feel valued .
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sandwell and West Birmingham Hospitals NHS Trust. Our community is ready to answer.
Sandwell and West Birmingham Hospitals NHS Trust Reviews by Job Title