Sandwell and West Birmingham Hospitals NHS Trust

Sandwell and West Birmingham Hospitals NHS Trust Employee Reviews

Needs a shake up
Senior Manager non medical (Current Employee) –  Birmingham22 May 2019
I joined SWBH NHS because of the genuine desire to improve a critical part of the local economy. However it is the most backward organisation I have ever come across. The department is not taken seriously. There is little direction. And the desire to make things better becomes a major negative when you are unable to do anything of any real value. The basics are wrong in so many ways.

The people are generally nice but there is a real 'public sector culture' which coming from the private sector is very hard to understand.

Unfortunately this will be, certainly as a permanent employee, my first and last experience of working in the NHS.
Pros
Motivated by the organisation and desire to improve healthcare
Cons
Bad culture, unprofessional and uninspiring
management
Ward Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sandwell, West Midlands28 February 2019
High standards of cleaning to assigned areas whitin a hospital including wards and theatre in accordance with canpany polishing dusting and cleaning chemical or correct surface and area using buffer to clean hard floor mopping hovering replacing water in containers on wards serving meals to patients requests and collecting dishes monitored stock levels and brought to the attention of the supervisor to replenish
Pros
Break
Cons
10 hours week
Lack of Empathy
Healthcare Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands13 January 2019
A typical day would be starting handover from the previous staff members. then waking up the patients and getting breakfast to each patient. I found the working environment lacking in empathy for some patient that may have been seen as problematic.
A good starting basis for Graduates
Medical Illustrator (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom11 November 2018
A good hospital, sadly hit with financial difficulties, leading to a lack of training and encouragement from senior members of staff. It allowed me to get 18 months under my belt to move on. a strong stepping stone.
Pros
Security with jobs
Cons
A lack of training
review
HCA (Former Employee) –  Sandwell NHS trust West Midlands3 July 2018
it used to be a fantastic place to work for unfortunately as the years have passed by, your expected to cope permanent short staffed with managers having to meet targets for discharges therefore is no longer a really caring place as the NHS when it first commenced to see to the needs fully of the patents and all those within its care, care of the patient is is what the NHS was founded for never to be run as a business for making profit this unfortunately is now the case.
My opinion
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands9 June 2018
I felt as if I learnt a lot from this role. Everyone who I worked with was very understanding and helped me when needed. On a typical day I would great clients, help organise documents, input data into the Cohort software, research and compile data, assist in setting up new accounts, engaged in helping to sort the filing system and attended meetings to put forward ideas.

As I was working at the NHS, confidentiality was key. I learnt that keeping company information private is very important. This is because the NHS has got a lot of private information about individuals, so I had to make sure this personal information was kept secured and not accessible to people who didn't have a valid reason to access it.

The hardest part of the job was when I had to put forward an idea within a meeting. This is because the department I was working in was of a very high standard, so putting forward ideas to improve the organisation was difficult, however, being an IT student I was able to put forward IT-related ideas to make the department more efficient.

The most enjoyable part of this job is when I had to hand out leaflets and get people to sign up for a fitness class. I found this very enjoyable as I was able to meet new people and potentially help to improve the fitness of individuals.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Na
Enjoyable place to work and all team members.
Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  West Bromwich29 March 2018
Set up and run out patient clinics.
Learn different diagnoses, computer skills.
Management is cross site so staff nurses are in charge of the department.
The hardest part of the job is being expected to stand on your feet most of the day, and running two or three clinics on your own.
The most enjoyable part of my job is giving high standard quality care to my patients and going home at the end of the day knowing I have gone that extra mile.
Pros
Day shifts only
Cons
standing for long periods at a time.
Enjoyable and informative
Health Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Midlands15 November 2017
I enjoyed gathering a lot of experience and being able to expand my knowledge on certain activities such as health and being a care assistant. I was provided with all the correct necessities which were needed to fulfill my role that I was provided, this then helped me become a valuable member on the team.
Home away from home
Ward Service Officer (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands12 August 2017
Magnificent place to work, great team spirit and very supportive managerial system. The different departments provide high quality care to service users in a person centred way. Sandwell and West Birmingham NHS Trust is a learning hub, where everyday an opportunity arises for self development.
Pros
flexible
Productive and very fun workplace
Communications Officer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham31 July 2017
I had a great team but things could often be slow for a long time before everything got very fast paced at once - as is the nature of the NHS! Workplace morale was very much down while I was there but I hope it has stepped back up.
It can be hard work
Healthcare Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sandwell, West Midlands17 July 2017
when i started i didn't know anything about working in a hospital i was placed with another health care assisstant who showed me around the ward and told me my duties then the next day i was left to do the duties with out any guidance i was left to my own devices i would have preferred to have a mentor to actually show me what to do.
Pros
you learn new things all the time
Cons
it can be busy
an enjoyable workplace
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Midlands21 June 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed observing and caring for young children in this workplace. I worked with children aged 3 months to 5 years and gained skills and learned to practice patience and dependance for others.
Left a long time ago.
Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sandwell, West Midlands13 June 2017
I worked here over 15 years ago, things have probably changed. When I worked here I undertook all aspects of patient care, it was hard work, but rewarding, but management lacked compassion and fairness.
productive workplace
Print Technician (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands5 April 2017
Have enjoyed my time at SWBH. Organisation within the NHS is difficult to see. I have learned alot in my time here - mainly customer service skills. Management is good.
exellent place to work
Catering Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sandwell, West Midlands28 February 2017
Good employers, continuous training , good work environment, will encourage people to undertake new skills , good communicators, staff feel valued .
Productive and a Fun workplace
Safeguarding Administrator / Paediatric (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands20 February 2017
Any additional training needed for the job was offered,The time in the position was fully satisfying and rewarding. There is always something new to learn. Not every day is the same, which is what i enjoyed most about the position.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Zero Contracted Hours
Fantastic Place to work
System Administrator (Former Employee) –  West Bromwich, West Midlands10 February 2017
This is a wonderful trust to work for, with many committed staff.

A new hospital is being built and this trust has exciting times ahead.
Enjoyed my time working in Medical Staffing
Medical Staffing Assistant Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands8 February 2017
I really enjoyed my time the hospital and all aspects of my job, My role was varied and I met some interesting people work there.
fun workplace
Ward service officer (Former Employee) –  West Bromwich10 April 2015
Learning new things each day, enjoying meeting new people and very close to home. Also there are a lot of opportunities that the hospital could offer
Every Day is different
Accident and Emergency Receptionist (Current Employee) –  West Bromwich, ENG22 March 2015
Working in the A and E department is a very rewarding job, no two days are the same. The clinical staff are so much fun to work with, and we all enjoy ourselves, and we all get on very well working as a team.

The hardest part of the job for me, is seeing patients that are not going to live, and seeing their relatives so upset, but I can deal with it better now after being there 7 years.
Pros
NHS pension
Cons
Evenings and occasional nghts