SANDWELL METROPOLITAN BOROUGH COUNCIL Employee Reviews

Good pay - terrible place to work
Neigbourhood Engagement (Former Employee) –  Oldbury, West Midlands13 June 2019
I worked here from October 2014 just after one of their famous “restructures” that take place every so often in order for management to promote their friends.

I loved working in a neigbourhood office and wish I never moved. The staff there were great, management there were great, pay was ok for what we did but we had flexi time which made up for it.

I moved offices (to “former Sandwell Homes HQ”) and I had a pay increase. Biggest mistake of my life. Micromanagement. Favouritism. No recognition. Good at your job? Do everyone’s job for less pay. Terrible management and supervision. Pointless tasks costing the tax payer £0000s.

Avoid this council at al costs especially if you have a disability of ANY sorts. Mental health or physical health. They do NOT care regardless of what they say. Terrible.
Pros
Flexi
Cons
Management. Work life balance.
Perks
PA to Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Oldbury1 May 2019
I was able to work across various departments within Sandwell council.
All in which do work differently but they have to due to the nature of the roles
Pros
Flexi Time, Good Pay
Cons
Work not recognised... Just a number
living in the 80s
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  sandwell10 April 2019
the older generation dont like the new young workers and wont get used to new technology hence the whole company is stuck in the 80s. i would avoid and chose somewhere better to work.
Yeah
Consulting Dance and Vocal Instructor (Former Employee) –  Sandwell1 April 2019
Good people good food good times. This allowed me to make the production more age-specific to various groups. Definitely work here if you get the chance
Enjoyed my time
Lunchtime Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wednesbury27 March 2019
Enjoyed being a dinner lady.

The only thing that isn't so good is that Sandwell council pay less per than Walsall council by approx £1 which is quite a big difference between towns that are next door to one another.

Kids and main staff I worked with were great.

Had to go to the teacher training days sometimes which wasnt the nicest as we would be split up to sit with teachers from across both sites which is awkward if you're not the most confident of people with strangers. Sometimes you wouldn't know anyone on the table of 10 you were sat with.
Pros
School holidays
Cons
Pay
Team ethics good
Targeted youth support worker (Former Employee) –  Tipton, West Midlands15 March 2019
No job security within the council, fixed term contracts , pension was very reasonable, flexible working hours, good
Opportunities within the council, redeployment opportunities
Pros
Incentives were good, pension offer was very good
Cons
No job security
great place to work
Lunchtime Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Smethwick19 September 2018
every day is not the same so its a fun job to do and place to work just that the hours are not as good as full time work or part time i want more hours thats why looking for work else where
Rubbish
Customer Service Assistant full time (Former Employee) –  West Midlands1 September 2018
Local offices were depressing to work in, no organisation, management are bullies and everyone are snakey. I was on temp contract and they would remind me of this all the time
Pros
long lunches
Cons
management are bad
job satisfactin, productivity, acheiving good results
P2P Officer (Former Employee) –  Oldbury19 August 2018
Posting of invoices, distribution of post, answering the telephone, emailing, browsing the internet.

I learned how to approach my work and clients with confidence, enthusiasm, , how to priotise the importance of each piece of work

The most enjoyable time is when we all had a break and got together for group sessions and actually meeting the public

The staff overall were pleasant, and helpful, but there could be an element of bullying on occasions.

But all in all I really enjoyed my job.
Pros
Good salary, holidays, staff helpfulness, flexibility and respect
Cons
Lots of pressure, some bullying, not easy for advancement
Flexible
FINANCE SUPPORT OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Oldbury, West Midlands23 July 2018
My work pattern is 9:00 - 17:30 Monday - Thursday and 9:00 - 17:00 on Friday.

I really do enjoy working here due to the job work/life balance SMBC provide to its employees
Productive & fun workplace
School Work Experience (Former Employee) –  West Bromwich, West Midlands11 July 2018
Good work experince, I was only there for a week but learnt a lot about how the office procedure works, It gave me a good feel about the working enviroment.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Computers
Perfect
Learning Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  West Bromwich14 June 2018
Take good care, of employees Sandwell pay well good management. They take good care of staff and employee and pay well. pension is also included in contract.
Employment
COUNCIL TAX OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Sandwell, West Midlands16 March 2018
I very much enjoyed working for sandwell council's as it was close to home and very much enjoyed working with the people there. I had very good understanding of the area having worked as an inspector and this understanding helped me in my office role in later years.
The hardest part of the job is not been able to do what you can due to cut backs and not been able to help volunrable persons.
Helping tax payers with payment methods and getting tax payers to pay what they owe as well as locating non payers.,
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Working too close to home & being aproached outside work
Good employer to work for
Cashier / Clerk (Former Employee) –  UK31 January 2018
There are lots of opportunites to futher your career. They always keept up with ongoing training opportunites. Gave alot of general support. My typical day was invloved in the taking and receipting of monies owed.
Pros
Flexi hours
i was only a volunteer
Grounds Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Netherton2 October 2017
as a volunteer you are limited to as what you can and cant do. it was overall a fun and exciting role that i thought about getting in to when id left school as the team members wasn't too serious and you could have a laugh.
Pros
light duties
Cons
funerals
Happy and fun work place
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Oldbury28 September 2017
I may have only been at SMC for one week but I thoroughly enjoyed myself and the experience that I gained. All the employees that I met were kind and always happy to help even though they played tricks on me which was quite funny.
Abbey Junior School
Learning Support Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Abbey Junior School29 August 2017
A very busy and full-on day every day. I never stop. Love this environment.

Greeting parents and children at the beginning of the day. Registration and settling in the children and explaining to them how their morning will be organised.

Supporting the children in groups and individually for Maths and English lessons. Supplying the correct work from the planning given to you the week before by the lead teacher. Although sometimes this does not always happen until the last minute.

Preparing out-door learning and organising fruit and milk breaks.

Toilet breaks are a regular feature throughout the day especially before play and lunch times.

I also have dinnertime duties everyday which involve guiding the children into the lunch hall and dismissing them into the playground making sure each child has eaten.

Afternoon duties include placing many different play activities out for inside and outside in all weathers through learning. To supervise safe play especially outside whilst climbing trees and using play equipment.

Settling children for home time and equipping them with letters and hand made objects they have made during the day.

Dismissing the children to the correct parents at the end of the day and or escorting children to after school clubs and activities.

Organising the next days work and activities and tidying up after a busy day.
Pros
Busy and never boring
Cons
Not enough hours
Great place
Mechanic Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Cradley Heath23 August 2017
Did a nvq apprenticeship with Sandwell mbc great to work for nice people great pay for apprentiship clean and tidy environments and great management..
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Hard to progress
A fun and enjoyable workplace
Lunchtime Supervisory Assistant (Current Employee) –  West Bromwich, West Midlands10 August 2017
Typical day of work is cleaning the hall and interacting with kids after dinner time. I learned cleaning and people skills whilst working at the school, the management is to keep you informed throughout the work period, the most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with the kids and work mates at the school
Pros
Fits in with children's holidays
Cons
Not enough hours
Fun and learn new things
Rapid responce team (Former Employee) –  Sandwell, West Midlands23 July 2017
I thought working with Sandwell council was a good idea. For those people who want to go on work experience to get a taste of what each trade is like, i would recommend it.
Pros
Lift from work there and back
Cons
Waiting around for work