Sanctuary Group

Sanctuary Group Employee Reviews

United Kingdom203 reviews
Featured review
Sanctuary Group selected this as a representative review
Good Place to work
I found everyone very supportive and helpful from my work colleagues to management. I only left because I moved. I would recommend Sanctuary Group to work for, if you stick to the rules and do your job to the best of your ability then you just sale through the day. If you get a difficult customer your manager will always support you.
Pros
Good training and support if you wish to progress.
Cons
Having to book a day off far too in advance.
14 March 2019
Thanks for the review! It’s great to hear that you felt supported in your role. Good luck with your next venture.
Outstanding
Can't fault Sanctuary as an employer, always fair, paid well and had support where needed. The people are great and given that I worked all over the country I felt welcomed and comfortable wherever I worked.
19 May 2020
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave this review. We are pleased that you enjoyed your time working for Sanctuary Group, and we wish you will in the future. Thank you.
Soul destroying
A typical day at work was not at all productive. As a trainer I would expect to be proactive but the department was reactive to training requests, meaning that when training was delivered we were not fully prepared in what was to be delivered resulting in inadequate training sessions being delivered.
There was system of desk sharing. I always arrived at 08:00 every morning so had a choice of where I would work from to a certain extent but that was never with my team. I had no direction from my management and spent most of the time whilst working at Sanctuary unaware of what was expected of me.
20 May 2020
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. At Sanctuary we welcome feedback and look to embed lessons learned from the feedback we receive.

I am sorry to hear of your experience during your employment at Sanctuary and how this did not meet your expectations. We would expect discussions to take place with line managers about role expectations, during regular one to one meetings. Should that not have happened, staff have the opportunity to raise their concerns through to the local staff council representative, or their local HR Business Partner.

We do in parts of Sanctuary operate hot desk arrangements to offer flexibility to our staff, based on that site or for those attending from other sites. This is particularly prevent in some departments of Worcester, due to Worcester’s size and the varying operations based at Worcester

Once again, thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback
Sanctuary
Enjoyed my time there. Job can be varied and i have made some good friends whilst there. The hours are reasonable, the only downside would be the salary but thats the same with most jobs.
19 May 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are pleased that you enjoyed your time with us and your colleagues became friends. Good luck with your future career.
Awful Company to work for. Avoid like the plague
I lasted 3 and a half years at Sanctuary. I am ex armed forces 12 years. Never in my entire working life have I been bullied by a line manager as I was at Sanctuary. Out of a small workforce the majority had left by the time I left. Only to be replaced with more victims. He seemed to think that he was above the rules. Made me ill. I have a list of about 20 things that he did. Best days work I ever did when I handed in my notice.
20 April 2020
Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry to hear that this was not the experience you expected from Sanctuary Group. Sanctuary take very seriously any staff matters whereby someone reports being bullied and or harassed. We expect all staff to operate with dignity and respect for all – no one is above this. We also take all feedback seriously and strive to embed appropriate changes as a result of the feedback we receive. What is not clear from your comments is whether you reported your concerns through to a more senior manager, a staff council representatives, your HR business Partner, or whether you raised a grievance. We would welcome the opportunity to understand more about this situation.

Don't work here
Shocking company, they haven't got a clue. Bullying supervisors , totally unprofessional. Avoid at all costs . This is not a good company to work for.
Pros
Cons
Bad management
20 April 2020
Thank you for your feedback. Sorry to hear that this was not the experience you expected from Sanctuary Group. Sanctuary take very seriously any staff matters whereby someone reports being bullied and or harassed. We expect all staff to operate with dignity and respect for all – no one is above this. We also take all feedback seriously and strive to embed appropriate changes as a result of the feedback we receive. What is not clear from your comments is whether you reported your concerns through to a more senior manager, a staff council representatives, your HR business Partner, or whether you raised a grievance. We would welcome the opportunity to understand more about this situation.

Don't bother
The home is great but very busy as maintenance you are at the bottom of the pile. Since 2020 they now pay the same amount of money for someone in a 30 bed home or a 80 bed home this is a disgrace. No recaniction for hard work. Willing to let the best ones leave.
20 April 2020
Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry to hear that this is not the experience you expect from Sanctuary Group. We take all feedback seriously and strive to embed appropriate changes as a result of the feedback we receive. All staff employed by Sanctuary Group are equally valued and respected, regardless of which part of the organisation they work in. I am sorry that you feel your work is not recompensed accordingly. All our roles are benchmarked nationally, based on the content of the role responsibilities associated with the role. What is not clear from your comments is whether you have raised your concerns through to your manager, or your staff council representative.
Fast paced environment
I found working for Sanctuary mainly a positive experience. However, they send you on loads of mandatory training but you have to learn most of it on the job as no new starter training offered. Working in a hostel is not for the faint hearted and staff go above and beyond duties. Emotionally it is not for everyone.
7 April 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. At Sanctuary we do offer a wide range of development opportunities through our Learning Academy, however, we do realise that some aspects of the role are better learnt on the job, with support from line managers and colleagues. The work of our Project Workers is very much valued and recognised. Thank you.
Good place to work for
Sanctuary is a good place to work for, they listen to the staff ideas , they have good facilities to support their employees, such as advise and support.

the training is good for staff.
20 April 2020
Hi, thank you for taking the time to leave this review. We are pleased to hear that you find Sanctuary a good place to work and you feel we provide good training and staff development through our Learning Academy.
Sanctuary is a good company to work for,they treat their employees well,and there is good working conditions I would recommend Sanctuary 100per cent
I have achieved my BTC level 3 and was supported very well to achieve this
20 February 2020
Thank you for leaving this five star review and well done on completing your BTC Level 3.
Cowards
IF you are a good tradesman , stay well clear of these idiots . Excuse the pun but THEY COULDN'T RUN A BATH . When I joined the company there were 9 plumbers prior to myself . What does that tell you ? Full of Lies , nepotism, backstapping cowards . That's the management . I hope the ones i am referring to are reading this .You know you are ! No idea how but sleep well .
21 February 2020
Thank you for your Indeed review. I am sorry to learn that your experience with Sanctuary group has not met your expectations. We take all feedback very seriously and look to learn lessons from it and make positive changes where appropriate. Sadly your review doesn’t provide any specific examples of where Sanctuary have fallen below are normal high standards.We would always encourage our employees to raise issues and concerns at the time for which they occur, so that all efforts can be made to remedy the situation.

However I am sorry that your experience has fallen short of your expectations.
Very stressful & poor pay
I worked here for 5 years and felt I was doing the job of at least 2 people. Your expected to do everything clean up after tenants and clean staff toilets because they are too tight to hire a cleaner. I felt like a cleaner most of the time rather than supporting tenants to move out in permanent accommodation. Very stressful place to work the best thing I did was leave.
28 February 2020
We are sorry to hear that you had concerns regarding your role. The role of Project Worker is to provide high quality person centred support to enable and empower clients to develop the skills for independent living, including skills of cleaning, cooking etc. Staff are encouraged to raise any concerns via their operational line manager route informally in the first instance, and are also able to contact HR Services, Staff council, or the Employee Advice Service for advice and support. There is also a policy and procedure framework in place where individual employee concerns can be resolved.
Sanctuary Students department
Overall the job itself can be rewarding and at first I was able to maintain job satisfaction, unfortunately after a period of time cracks start to show in terms of the structure and the way upper management conduct themselves. They give the illusion that the vast amount of procedures Sanctuary have in place are followed but they seldom are, with constant office and departmental back stabbing the office politics slowly seep into your working life and no matter how much you try to distance yourself you inherently end up being a casualty within the unprofessional Sanctuary Students war. The company or more so the management for the Scottish sector is not a place I would recommend to anyone looking to apply for a job. The high turn over of employee recruitment speaks for it self.

All though for every negative there is a positive. Sanctuary in general are very good at developing employees, so if you are looking to build and develop yourself along with strengthening your resume it's a good place for someone starting out, along with the fact the company is nationwide so it's a company that can open many doors.
21 February 2020
Thank you for your Indeed review. I am sorry to learn that your experience with Sanctuary Students (Scotland) has not met your expectations. We take all feedback very seriously and look to embed any lessons learned from negative experiences.

At Sanctuary we pride ourselves in the support options available to our employees if they experience difficulties at work, such as our monthly ‘my performance’ meetings, employee centred policies and procedures, our Staff Council representatives, Human Resources Team and our mental health first aid trained staff. We want to know about any issues our employees may have straight away, so that we can support the employee appropriately and make the changes required. Sadly your review does not make reference to what you did in order to resolve these issues whilst you were still an employee at Sanctuary. However I am sorry that your experience has fallen short of your expectations.

Thank you for your positive comments regarding our commitment to developing our workforce.
Poor
Just avoid, to much to go into on here, management, work load, times set for jobs, any personal appointments for leave have to be booked a month in advance
20 April 2020
Thank you for your feedback. Sorry to hear that this was not the experience you expected from Sanctuary Group. We take all feedback seriously and strive to embed appropriate changes as a result of the feedback we receive. As a large organisation supporting thousands of service users and tenants, it is essential we maintain staffing levels to best meet these needs. Therefore we do expect, where staff are able too, to receive notice when staff want to have annual leave. We also work very hard to operate high customer service standards and having set times for jobs aides in these standards.

If your face fits
If your face fits and you will do anything for them then you will do fine. If you have any priorities outside of work like children you are screwed.how people are treated is vastly inconsistent.
21 February 2020
Thank you for your review regarding your employment time as a manager at Sanctuary Group. I am sorry to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations.

We do of course have an array of policies and support available for all our employees, especially those concerning family friendly policies, as well as our staff council representatives.We regularly engage with our employees through our staff council forums in order to ensure our policies provide appropriate support. Your review does provide any details as to the specifics of your experience or what measures you took to try and resolve your concerns whilst you were still employed.

We welcome any feedback and want to learn from any negative experiences.Thank you for taking the time to provide your review.
Highly recommended
Everyone is so supportive and amazing, plenty of training offered and good culture to work in, Great team to be part of and a lot opportunities to progress
Cons
No parking
20 February 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. We strive to support our staff and offer them training that will enhance their skills, allowing them to develop and grow. We're pleased to hear that you're happy in your role.
Absolutely terrible management, so many people left their jobs whilst I was there. I left 16 months ago and I don't know anyone who still works there
The management we're useless!!!
The residents were lovely

The money was not very good

We were always understaffed, using agency staff from Birmingham

The menu's were quite good
20 April 2020
We are sorry to hear that you didn't haven't a positive experience working with us. From your review it isn't clear if you raised your concerns with your line manager, staff representative or HR Business Partner. We value all of our staff and believe that by working together we can build a strong and positive working environment.
Good
It is a fantastic atmosphere to work in and a rewarding job. Supporting people in there everyday life. And a great team to work with. You learn to communicate with different people and agencies.
Pros
Meeting new people
15 January 2020
We are so pleased that you enjoyed your role and time working with us. Working as a support assistant can be challenging at times, but very rewarding. Good luck with your future career plans.
I was hired on a temporary contract both in 2018 and 2019 both times I enjoyed my experience and was able to develop a number of skills which I used in other jobs.
20 February 2020
Hi, thank you for leaving this review. it's really pleasing to hear that you were able to develop your skills set whilst working for us and we wish you luck in your future career choices. Thank you.
My daily working experiences at Sanctuary Supported Living
I was a lone worker most of the time who worked at different schemes throughout Birmingham every day, I would take the scheme's keys from the key safe and return it in the evening, I had a work email address that I would log in to first thing every morning to check handovers, every one at work at other schemes would know that I was at work and I was also able to see them online, I would communicate with my colleagues via phone or email, we had access to skype. Scheme (property) checks was next followed by the activities marked in my electronic dairy. Other activities included making and answering phone callas, responding to any enquiries, emergencies, contacting the maintenance team for any repairs as well as liaising with other agencies such as Social services, the benefit agencies, housing, local mental health teams, the police, fire brigade, health professionals, etc. I also interacted with friends and families of service users. I improved my skills, learnt a different culture of supporting people based on the company's policies. Responding to challenging behaviour, incident reporting and safeguarding reporting was hard some times as one had to be very assertive. I really enjoyed my interaction with service users and my satisfaction was greater when a service user managed to achieve a planned target from his/her support plan. At Sanctuary every working day was very different. I also had a work mobile phone.
Pros
Lone working gave me time to plan my day.
Cons
Gossiping practised by some staff who were longer at the job.
15 January 2020
Thank you for giving us an insight into your daily role. We're pleased that you enjoyed your time working with Sanctuary and wish you luck with your future career path. Thank you.
Awful people to work for
No work/life balance expected to pick up any shifts. After doing night shifts would ring at 9am and ask you to come in on a 2pm shift and work through. No support to further qualifications just used as a dogs body
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sanctuary Group. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9