Sanctuary Group Employee Reviews

Awful place to work
Care Assistant (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Ryall worcester16 October 2018
Run on agency staff some good most bad no breaks really bad manager does not know howto treat staff does not know how to do the job very hard work place dirty and disorganised don’t work there
Pros
Cons
Long hours hard work
Great work collegues
Care and support assistant and senior (Former Employee) –  Leicestershire3 October 2018
I enjoy my work and if at the end of my shift , the residents are happy and smiling , I go home happy knowing that I have worked to the best of my ability as their happiness and wellbeing is paramount. In my opinion if you have a team working together then you end up with a happy home for the residents and a great working environment for all.
Pros
Looking after people that require help so they can live their lives as best as they possibily can.
Cons
ANY challenging behaviour.
Worst company ever
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  North East1 October 2018
Worst company to work for PERIOD. Speak to you like rubbish. Not enough time in the day to do your workload. Stressful at times no support from management at all. Staff look down there nose at you. Not valued as a member of the team.
3 October 2018

We’re very sorry that you had a negative experience at Sanctuary and we understand that the role of a Care Assistant can be demanding, but support is always available from line managers and our HR team. We would really like to look into this and discuss this with you further. Please email resourcing.team@sanctuary-housing.co.uk with further details. Thanks.

Shocking
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cheltenham, Gloucestershire24 September 2018
Would never give sanctuary another look.
absoutly shocking place to work
Team leaders don’t have a clue management don’t care about you. Just want you to cover all the shifts
Also if you report a serious incident NOTHING will get done about it!!!
So sad they would rather have people like that work there to get shifts covered
Pros
Residents
Cons
Company management team leaders
28 September 2018

While we endeavour to ensure that all of our services have appropriate staffing levels, we appreciate that times may occur whereby staff are asked to carry out additional shifts and are grateful when they help out on these occasions. Sanctuary is aware of the importance of a work-life balance for individuals and in line with this commitment have a variety of flexible working arrangements across the business.

Sanctuary takes all staff concerns seriously in line with our Grievance Policy and where staff have concerns within the workplace then we would encourage them to speak to their line manager in the first instance, or speak to their senior manager or local HR Business Partner in order for this to be investigated where necessary. Sanctuary also has an established staff council, with local trained staff council representatives who are another avenue of support for staff.

Catering Manager (Former Employee) –  Paignton16 September 2018
A lovely place to work
Deputy Manager (Former Employee) –  Wantage15 September 2018
Staff are very hardworking caring and compassionate. A great team to have worked alongside from the Manager ,administrator ,reception ,maintenance ,nurses and carers , activities, domestic , kitchen and marketing team. The residents and relatives are superb really lovely people. There is no nursing home that is perfect, but Wantage surely does try. A good nursing home and a good company to work for. Supportive and knowledgeable team.
Pros
Management, Staff, residents and families . Lots of training from the company
Cons
staff moral needs a boost not from management but from Sanctuary
21 September 2018

Thanks for the review and lovely comments! We’re delighted that you enjoyed your time with Sanctuary Care 🙂

Secure Employment
CSO, CSO Team Manager (Current Employee) –  Scales11 September 2018
Not a bad place to work, phone works is challenging and target based, not a bad salary for the area and the work. Weekends and winter months are particulaly challenging.
12 September 2018

Thanks for the review. Regarding the challenges your role sometimes presents, please have a chat with your line manager or HR Business Partner should you feel you need any support 🙂

Rewarding at times
Domestic Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Old Basing3 September 2018
It was always hectic, I managed my work load and how long I needed to be in each room to clean as I only worked 4hrs. The enjoyable part was talking to the residents and making sure they had nice clean rooms, the hardest part was if one of the residents had pass away that was awful.
Pros
Getting to know new people
Cons
Management wasnt supportive
5 September 2018

Hi there, thanks for this review. We agree, speaking to our lovely residents is one of the great benefits of working in a care home, but we are very sorry that you didn’t feel supported in your role. Please email resourcing.team@sanctuary-housing.co.uk with further details so that we can discuss this with you.

Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hatfield, Hertfordshire30 August 2018
overall rating
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Soham, Cambridgeshire23 August 2018
nice place to work, friendly staff. Was able to utilise my auditing experience to improve the overall performance of my department and worked closely with CQC to continue the improvement of the care of the clients
Pros
nice location
Cons
was a long way to travel
29 August 2018

Thanks for the review and rating, it’s great that you enjoyed your time with us!

Excellent Team
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sawston, Cambridgeshire21 August 2018
I have worked at Orchard House for over 10 years. It is a great team and the Company offer great training. You have to have a love for care to be a care worker but if you are dedicated every day is rewarding. I would recommend working at this home.
Pros
Free lunch. Staff benefits/rewards
Cons
12 hour shifts
29 August 2018

10 years, that’s impressive! We agree that working in care is such a rewarding experience. Thanks for the review and feedback.

Great place to work!
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Sawston, Cambridgeshire21 August 2018
I have been working at Orchard House for years in different departments. Management is very supportive and understanding and if you're interested in developing in your role, they offer a great support and trainings.
Staff is friendly and helpful when you're a new starter.
Hoping to stay and develop at Orchard house for much longer.
Pros
Shift work
Cons
Location-poor bus service on Sundays and Bank Holidays
29 August 2018

That’s great to hear, we know how important it is for our employees to feel supported in their role. Thanks for the review 🙂

My working day
Domestic Assistant (Current Employee) –  Woolwich14 August 2018
Really enjoy working for sanctuary I have been with them for nearly 7 years
The people I work with are very frendly and helpful if you have a problem my housekeeper or manager is happy to help sort it out
Also when I'm working on the units where the residents stay it's a nice and happy environment
I've learned a lot since being with sanctuary as we all do on line training and it helps to keep on top of things with chemicals and health and safety
The workplace is very multicultural and always happy to help
The most enjoyable part of the job is being praised and told if your doing well
The hardest part is keeping up with the cleaning of the residents rooms as every day is different but I can achieve it within my daily shift
Pros
Helpfull staff
Cons
Dont always have cleaning products available
29 August 2018

It sounds like you’re having a great time working at Sanctuary! Thank you for your seven years of services, and long may it continue 🙂

Workplace
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Houghton le Spring8 August 2018
Since i have started to work at Sanctuary Group, i have learned new things. Having residents with different needs as nursing and dementia, i have improved my skills and learned new things about mental health disease
Pros
team work
29 August 2018

We’re delighted that you have had the opportunity to learn new skills while working with us! The Sanctuary Learning Academy works hard to introduce new training and development opportunities to staff. Thanks for the review and rating.

This company does not value its care staff.
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Essex8 August 2018
I was not happy with the way Sanctuary head office dealt with my application for care home manager. Closing date was January, the HR system was still showing my application as “Pending” when I resigned in July.

I was told by another carer I did not get the job in february, this was totally humiliating. As an internal candidate applying, they should have given me the courtesy of a letter directly or through my manager.

Since then, I did not feel valued as an employee of Sanctuary Care and sought new employment.
Pros
The residents I dealt with daily, enriching their lives made me happy
Cons
Extremely poor management at all levels
15 August 2018

Hi there, as we received an email from you we have now responded to you personally via that route. We’d like to apologise again for the experience that you had with your application, this was caused by systems access issues which led to candidates not receiving certain communications. We will be reminding all hiring managers about the importance of communicating with all candidates who apply for roles at Sanctuary and our central recruitment team are always on hand to assist applicants if need be. We are very sorry that this issue led to you seeking alternative employment, personal feedback on your application is still available should you wish to get in touch.

Excellent Place To Work
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, North Yorkshire7 August 2018
I have just left my employment with Sanctuary based in Scarborough
to relocate back to Sheffield, I found my work to be pleasurable and enjoyable and most of the time fun, I loved every minuet of my time there we had a lot of training in fact a bit to much but it was company policy and you always got paid for it if you came in on your time , the tennants and staff were a joy to work with, every day was different my colleagues who worked along side me were supportive and encouraging and we all worked together as a team.
The management were brilliant, good listener's who took on board any difficulties and Actioned on them.
I will miss my time there very much.
Pros
Used to start at 11 am & Finnish at 3 pm 4 days a week every alternate weekend off
8 August 2018

We’ll miss you too! It sounds like you had a great time working at Sanctuary, and we may see you again in future. Good luck with your career 🙂

Dont waste your time - RM
Care and support (Current Employee) –  Telford, RM26 July 2018
Unfortunately they make more promises than they can keep. The management is poor, the team leaders are cliquey with their favourites and friends. You can not advance your career unless your face fits. You work hard for very low wages especially on nights where there is no support, and little training. No reward for working nights since it is unsociable hours 12 hour shifts. They promise that you can do your level 3 nvq but refuse to put you on it as it doesnt "fit the budget" In other words they dont want to pay you the higher rate when you pass your nvq 3. You get very little time off and even then the team leaders are constantly calling for you to come in to cover shifts, they don't care that you have a family or home life. Management are not willing to get stuck in and help, takes more holidays than has time in the office. When management is in, the atmosphere drops and everyone is on edge. Management is money driven not person centered. The residents are mostly ok, however there are some extremely rude, racist and difficult people that when reported nothing is done about it. On call is a joke and never answer or have no idea about the scheme you are calling from.
Pros
Mostly clean.
Cons
Extremly low wage, zero opportunity for advancement, excruciatingly poor training opportunity. Zero support
2 August 2018

Thank you for providing your feedback, and I am sorry to hear of your experience with regards to your personal progression. As a large organisation, Sanctuary Group offers a wide variety of roles in its business areas, and potential avenues for progression, including in the area of the business you work in. The role of Care and Support Worker is a key role within the organisation, with the position requiring a Level 2 qualification. In respect of your specific concerns regarding support for a Level 3 qualification there is a mechanism for individual staff to make training requests in line with Sanctuary’s Learning and Development policy. Our in-house Learning Academy is a team dedicated to deliver a range of qualifications at various levels for the Group, and includes levels 2 to 5 in Health and Social Care.

While we endeavour to ensure that all of our services have appropriate staffing levels, we appreciate times may occur whereby staff are asked to carry out additional shifts and we are very grateful where staff help out on these occasions. All of our managers go through appropriate screening prior to appointment and are fully inducted to include staff management so I am sorry to hear that you have concerns regarding local management. We take all staff concerns seriously in line with our Grievance Policy and where staff have concerns within the workplace then we would encourage them to speak to their line manager in the first instance. Should you wish to discuss your experience confidentially with a member of the HR team, please do get in touch.

Mixed Reviews
Senior Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands24 July 2018
I love and enjoy caring for the residents daily,however management structure is not fair! I felt victimize and devalued. You had to be a minion and be negative to others for management to appreciate you too many family working there
Pros
Love the job role
Cons
long hours management not being fair
30 July 2018

It’s very concerning for us to read your comments regarding the management structure, and we would encourage you to discuss any concerns such as this one with your HR Business Partner as soon as possible, so it can be looked into. Thank you.

ok place to work
Project Worker (Current Employee) –  Worthing, West Sussex19 July 2018
Varied work, challenging and rewarding.
Learnt new skills through in house training
Management could be better
Lone working mainly
dealing with difficult challenging behaviour
seeing people making change, and making positive decisions
Pros
rewarding
Cons
frustrating
20 July 2018

Thanks for the outline of your role, and we’re delighted that you’ve developed since joining us! Regarding your frustrations, we would encourage you to discuss these with either your line manager or HR Business Partner.

Poor company
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire18 July 2018
Very poor company to work,never any staff or a manager that stays !worked at this home for 16 years once this company took over I lasted 8 months feel sorry for the clients the good staff are poorly treated
Pros
Meeting clients and familys
20 July 2018

We’re very sorry that you feel this way and would love to learn more about your experience so that we can look into it further. Please send full details to resourcing.team@sanctuary-housing.co.uk, thanks.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sanctuary Group. Our community is ready to answer.