Sanctuary Group Employee Reviews

Great work Colleagues
Caretaker (Former Employee) –  Wroughton, Swindon27 October 2018
Void Clearing & Cleaning Team.
Not paid well enough for the hard work required but liked my time here. Typical day at work was; totally emptying a flat or house including loft and gardens, loading onto a lorry and tipping, Then cleaning same property, most are very bad and need deep cleaning some are OK. Back at unit work colleagues were great and you could have a good laugh sometimes. HR were good but management here is rubbish!!!
Good vehicles to use and adequate tools provided by company.
Pros
Friendly place to work
Cons
Poor Pay
5 November 2018

Thanks for the review and rating, we're glad you enjoyed your time with Sanctuary. Our pay policy aims to offer pay scales that are competitive in the market, and are reviewed on an annual basis, salaries are also maintained in line with market levels. If you'd like to discuss anything further, please email resourcing.team@sanctuary-housing.co.uk, thanks.

Great work collegues
Care and support assistant and senior (Former Employee) –  Leicestershire3 October 2018
I enjoy my work and if at the end of my shift , the residents are happy and smiling , I go home happy knowing that I have worked to the best of my ability as their happiness and wellbeing is paramount. In my opinion if you have a team working together then you end up with a happy home for the residents and a great working environment for all.
Pros
Looking after people that require help so they can live their lives as best as they possibily can.
Cons
ANY challenging behaviour.
23 October 2018

Thanks for the lovely review! It sounds like you really enjoy working for Sanctuary and your enthusiasm really shines through. We agree that helping people to fulfil their potential is very rewarding and seeing smiling faces at the end of the day makes it all worth it.

A lovely place to work
Deputy Manager (Former Employee) –  Wantage15 September 2018
Staff are very hardworking caring and compassionate. A great team to have worked alongside from the Manager ,administrator ,reception ,maintenance ,nurses and carers , activities, domestic , kitchen and marketing team. The residents and relatives are superb really lovely people. There is no nursing home that is perfect, but Wantage surely does try. A good nursing home and a good company to work for. Supportive and knowledgeable team.
Pros
Management, Staff, residents and families . Lots of training from the company
Cons
staff moral needs a boost not from management but from Sanctuary
21 September 2018

Thanks for the review and lovely comments! We’re delighted that you enjoyed your time with Sanctuary Care 🙂

Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hatfield, Hertfordshire30 August 2018
Shocking
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cheltenham, Gloucestershire24 September 2018
Would never give sanctuary another look.
absoutly shocking place to work
Team leaders don’t have a clue management don’t care about you. Just want you to cover all the shifts
Also if you report a serious incident NOTHING will get done about it!!!
So sad they would rather have people like that work there to get shifts covered
Pros
Residents
Cons
Company management team leaders
28 September 2018

While we endeavour to ensure that all of our services have appropriate staffing levels, we appreciate that times may occur whereby staff are asked to carry out additional shifts and are grateful when they help out on these occasions. Sanctuary is aware of the importance of a work-life balance for individuals and in line with this commitment have a variety of flexible working arrangements across the business.

All of our managers go through appropriate screening prior to appointment and are fully inducted to include staff management so I am sorry to hear that you have concerns regarding local management.

Sanctuary takes all staff concerns seriously in line with our Grievance Policy and where staff have concerns within the workplace then we would encourage them to speak to their line manager in the first instance, or speak to their senior manager or local HR Business Partner in order for this to be investigated where necessary. Sanctuary also has an established staff council, with local trained staff council representatives who are another avenue of support for staff.

Should you wish to discuss your experience confidentially with a member of the HR team, please do get in touch.

Great place to work!
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Sawston, Cambridgeshire21 August 2018
I have been working at Orchard House for years in different departments. Management is very supportive and understanding and if you're interested in developing in your role, they offer a great support and trainings.
Staff is friendly and helpful when you're a new starter.
Hoping to stay and develop at Orchard house for much longer.
Pros
Shift work
Cons
Location-poor bus service on Sundays and Bank Holidays
29 August 2018

That’s great to hear, we know how important it is for our employees to feel supported in their role. Thanks for the review 🙂

This company does not value its care staff.
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Essex8 August 2018
I was not happy with the way Sanctuary head office dealt with my application for care home manager. Closing date was January, the HR system was still showing my application as “Pending” when I resigned in July.

I was told by another carer I did not get the job in february, this was totally humiliating. As an internal candidate applying, they should have given me the courtesy of a letter directly or through my manager.

Since then, I did not feel valued as an employee of Sanctuary Care and sought new employment.
Pros
The residents I dealt with daily, enriching their lives made me happy
Cons
Extremely poor management at all levels
15 August 2018

Hi there, as we received an email from you we have now responded to you personally via that route. We’d like to apologise again for the experience that you had with your application, this was caused by systems access issues which led to candidates not receiving certain communications. We will be reminding all hiring managers about the importance of communicating with all candidates who apply for roles at Sanctuary and our central recruitment team are always on hand to assist applicants if need be. We are very sorry that this issue led to you seeking alternative employment, personal feedback on your application is still available should you wish to get in touch.

Excellent Place To Work
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, North Yorkshire7 August 2018
I have just left my employment with Sanctuary based in Scarborough
to relocate back to Sheffield, I found my work to be pleasurable and enjoyable and most of the time fun, I loved every minuet of my time there we had a lot of training in fact a bit to much but it was company policy and you always got paid for it if you came in on your time , the tennants and staff were a joy to work with, every day was different my colleagues who worked along side me were supportive and encouraging and we all worked together as a team.
The management were brilliant, good listener's who took on board any difficulties and Actioned on them.
I will miss my time there very much.
Pros
Used to start at 11 am & Finnish at 3 pm 4 days a week every alternate weekend off
8 August 2018

We’ll miss you too! It sounds like you had a great time working at Sanctuary, and we may see you again in future. Good luck with your career 🙂

My working day
Domestic Assistant (Current Employee) –  Woolwich14 August 2018
Really enjoy working for sanctuary I have been with them for nearly 7 years
The people I work with are very frendly and helpful if you have a problem my housekeeper or manager is happy to help sort it out
Also when I'm working on the units where the residents stay it's a nice and happy environment
I've learned a lot since being with sanctuary as we all do on line training and it helps to keep on top of things with chemicals and health and safety
The workplace is very multicultural and always happy to help
The most enjoyable part of the job is being praised and told if your doing well
The hardest part is keeping up with the cleaning of the residents rooms as every day is different but I can achieve it within my daily shift
Pros
Helpfull staff
Cons
Dont always have cleaning products available
29 August 2018

It sounds like you’re having a great time working at Sanctuary! Thank you for your seven years of services, and long may it continue 🙂

Awful, stressful place to work!!
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Cheltenham, Gloucestershire19 October 2018
Nothing but stress from this place, higher management are all mean bullies, the wage for all roles is very very poor, you are made to do way more than what you're paid for with no appreciation at all.

I was employed as receptionist but was never on reception I was kept out back in the offices doing a huge work load basically taking on the scheme managers work.

So much stress put onto scheme managers in which creates a very tense every day work environment.

Overall I would not recommend someone works for this company they care very little about in scheme workers and we are often ignored and looked down on by the hierarchy.

They promise qualification opportunities related to your role but once you're in they say there isn't enough money in the budget. Long story short with sanctuary there's not enough money in the budget for anything!
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Over worked, Under paid, under valued
7 November 2018

Thanks for providing your feedback, and I’m sorry to hear that the receptionist position didn’t meet your expectations. The role is a key role within the organisation, with the job profile for the position confirming the role is to assist with administration duties as well as providing a reception service. There are mechanisms in place to reward staff for going above and beyond the normal expectations of their role, as detailed in the Group’s Recognition Awards policy, as well as Sanctuary’s staff awards scheme that recognises exceptional staff performance.

In respect of your specific concerns regarding support for a qualification there is a facility for individual staff to make training requests in line with Sanctuary’s Learning and Development policy. Sanctuary’s in-house Learning Academy Qualifications Centre is a team dedicated to deliver a range of qualifications at various levels for the Group, and includes Levels 2 to 5 in Health and Social Care.

The qualification level required to be appointed to the receptionist role is literacy and numeracy equivalent to passes in GCSE English and Maths, and following appointment to every role within Sanctuary, there is a training matrix that details the mandatory training that is provided. Furthermore there is a learning directory available via our intranet that details the variety of courses provided in-house that supplements the mandatory training delivered.

Our rates of pay are bench-marked against other organisations and are competitive within the sector, comply with the National Living wage, provide minimum pay differentials  more... and there is recognition for career progression or achievement of qualifications.

All of our managers go through appropriate screening prior to appointment and are fully inducted to include staff management so I am sorry to hear that you have concerns regarding management.

We take all staff concerns seriously in line with our Grievance policy and would have encouraged you to speak with your line manager in the first instance, senior manager or local HR Business Partner in order for this to be investigated where necessary.

Rewarding at times
Domestic Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Old Basing3 September 2018
It was always hectic, I managed my work load and how long I needed to be in each room to clean as I only worked 4hrs. The enjoyable part was talking to the residents and making sure they had nice clean rooms, the hardest part was if one of the residents had pass away that was awful.
Pros
Getting to know new people
Cons
Management wasnt supportive
5 September 2018

Hi there, thanks for this review. We agree, speaking to our lovely residents is one of the great benefits of working in a care home, but we are very sorry that you didn’t feel supported in your role. Please email resourcing.team@sanctuary-housing.co.uk with further details so that we can discuss this with you.

Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nunthorpe17 October 2018
Stay away
Gas Heating Engineer (Former Employee) –  Chester20 October 2018
I worked for them and they are just a bunch of bullies esp the manager stay well clear they putt tenants last and as for workers they change the goalposts so many times they don’t stick up for you at all your just a number STAY WELL CLEAR or go work for them and be unhappy
Pros
Going home
Cons
Hmmm
23 October 2018

At Sanctuary we have a zero tolerance towards bullying, as outlined in our Bullying and Harassment policy, so it’s very concerning for us to read your comments. We’re sorry that you had a negative experience and would really like to discuss things in further detail with you. Please email resourcing.team@sanctuary-housing.co.uk so that we can talk things through. Thank you.

Ok if you don't have an opinion
Domestic Assistant/Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Wirral, Merseyside22 October 2018
When I got the job at sanctuary care I was really happy and initially loved the job, however management very weak, favouritism rife, cliquey place, ended up suffering anxiety, as a cleaner!!! Wages consistently wrong.
Pros
Reasonable pay
Cons
Awful management
24 October 2018

It’s very disappointing to learn that your experience with Sanctuary Care turned into a negative one, and we’d really like to know more. Please email us – resourcing.team@sanctuary-housing.co.uk, and we’ll look into things with you, thanks.

Senior Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Allanbank Dumfries13 November 2018
The Hours are very long for very low wages
Healthcare Assistant (Current Employee) –  London23 June 2018
There should be time and a half Sundays & bank holiday but there isn't they would sooner pay Agency 16.00 an hour than up our wages to 10.00
Very disorganized your expected to give your days of to do training but you only get 1 days notice very little communication from manager.
Why we just got a pay rise of 16 pence an hour very insulting really.
If you live in London the pay should be higher.
Pros
Were like a family.
Cons
Very long hours for very little pay
27 June 2018

Thanks for your review and we’re sorry to see that you have concerns. We can confirm that our terms and conditions are benchmarked externally to ensure that they remain competitive within the sector. If you would like to chat anything through, we would encourage you to get in touch with your HR Business Partner, who will be happy to support you.

Laundry assistant
Laundry Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool17 October 2018
Nice job nice people , only one disadvantage you cant take holiday for christmas what was for me no good , the manager she was very nice and whatever u need she always was happy to help . Working on laundry was for me pleasure .
Pros
Break unpaid
Cons
Short hours working
22 October 2018

Thanks for the review. It’s always good to receive feedback and we’re pleased that you enjoyed your time with us!

Excellent Team
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sawston, Cambridgeshire21 August 2018
I have worked at Orchard House for over 10 years. It is a great team and the Company offer great training. You have to have a love for care to be a care worker but if you are dedicated every day is rewarding. I would recommend working at this home.
Pros
Free lunch. Staff benefits/rewards
Cons
12 hour shifts
29 August 2018

10 years, that’s impressive! We agree that working in care is such a rewarding experience. Thanks for the review and feedback.

Worst company ever
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  North East1 October 2018
Worst company to work for PERIOD. Speak to you like rubbish. Not enough time in the day to do your workload. Stressful at times no support from management at all. Staff look down there nose at you. Not valued as a member of the team.
3 October 2018

We’re very sorry that you had a negative experience at Sanctuary and we understand that the role of a Care Assistant can be demanding, but support is always available from line managers and our HR team. We would really like to look into this and discuss this with you further. Please email resourcing.team@sanctuary-housing.co.uk with further details. Thanks.

Poor management
Assistant Chef (Former Employee) –  Gravesend, Kent24 June 2018
I was an assistant chef at Gravesend for just under 2and half years , although who I was assisiting I don't no ? Short staffed always so long hours most weekends , No support from management but no good complaining as then you just get bullied out of your job . Had to just leave in the end for my own sanity
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Overworked, management not a clue how to run the place
2 July 2018

Thanks for your review of your time working for Sanctuary and for your feedback. While we endeavour to ensure that all of our services have appropriate staffing levels, we appreciate there may be times when staff are asked to carry out additional shifts, and we’re very grateful when staff do help out on these occasions.

All of our managers go through appropriate screening prior to appointment and are fully inducted to include staff management so we’re sorry to hear that you did not feel supported during your time with us. We take allegations of bullying very seriously in line with our Bullying and Harassment Policy, and where staff feel that this is occurring in the workplace then we would encourage them to speak to their local HR Business Partner in order for this to be investigated. If you’d like to discuss your experience confidentially with a member of the HR team, please get in touch.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sanctuary Group. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9