Sanctuary Group Employee Reviews

My working day
Domestic Assistant (Current Employee) –  Woolwich14 August 2018
Really enjoy working for sanctuary I have been with them for nearly 7 years
The people I work with are very frendly and helpful if you have a problem my housekeeper or manager is happy to help sort it out
Also when I'm working on the units where the residents stay it's a nice and happy environment
I've learned a lot since being with sanctuary as we all do on line training and it helps to keep on top of things with chemicals and health and safety
The workplace is very multicultural and always happy to help
The most enjoyable part of the job is being praised and told if your doing well
The hardest part is keeping up with the cleaning of the residents rooms as every day is different but I can achieve it within my daily shift
Pros
Helpfull staff
Cons
Dont always have cleaning products available
Workplace
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Houghton le Spring8 August 2018
Since i have started to work at Sanctuary Group, i have learned new things. Having residents with different needs as nursing and dementia, i have improved my skills and learned new things about mental health disease
Pros
team work
This company does not value its care staff.
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Essex8 August 2018
I was not happy with the way Sanctuary head office dealt with my application for care home manager. Closing date was January, the HR system was still showing my application as “Pending” when I resigned in July.

I was told by another carer I did not get the job in february, this was totally humiliating. As an internal candidate applying, they should have given me the courtesy of a letter directly or through my manager.

Since then, I did not feel valued as an employee of Sanctuary Care and sought new employment.
Pros
The residents I dealt with daily, enriching their lives made me happy
Cons
Extremely poor management at all levels
15 August 2018

Hi there, as we received an email from you we have now responded to you personally via that route. We’d like to apologise again for the experience that you had with your application, this was caused by systems access issues which led to candidates not receiving certain communications. We will be reminding all hiring managers about the importance of communicating with all candidates who apply for roles at Sanctuary and our central recruitment team are always on hand to assist applicants if need be. We are very sorry that this issue led to you seeking alternative employment, personal feedback on your application is still available should you wish to get in touch.

Excellent Place To Work
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, North Yorkshire7 August 2018
I have just left my employment with Sanctuary based in Scarborough
to relocate back to Sheffield, I found my work to be pleasurable and enjoyable and most of the time fun, I loved every minuet of my time there we had a lot of training in fact a bit to much but it was company policy and you always got paid for it if you came in on your time , the tennants and staff were a joy to work with, every day was different my colleagues who worked along side me were supportive and encouraging and we all worked together as a team.
The management were brilliant, good listener's who took on board any difficulties and Actioned on them.
I will miss my time there very much.
Pros
Used to start at 11 am & Finnish at 3 pm 4 days a week every alternate weekend off
8 August 2018

We’ll miss you too! It sounds like you had a great time working at Sanctuary, and we may see you again in future. Good luck with your career 🙂

Dont waste your time - RM
Care and support (Current Employee) –  Telford, RM26 July 2018
Unfortunately they make more promises than they can keep. The management is poor, the team leaders are cliquey with their favourites and friends. You can not advance your career unless your face fits. You work hard for very low wages especially on nights where there is no support, and little training. No reward for working nights since it is unsociable hours 12 hour shifts. They promise that you can do your level 3 nvq but refuse to put you on it as it doesnt "fit the budget" In other words they dont want to pay you the higher rate when you pass your nvq 3. You get very little time off and even then the team leaders are constantly calling for you to come in to cover shifts, they don't care that you have a family or home life. Management are not willing to get stuck in and help, takes more holidays than has time in the office. When management is in, the atmosphere drops and everyone is on edge. Management is money driven not person centered. The residents are mostly ok, however there are some extremely rude, racist and difficult people that when reported nothing is done about it. On call is a joke and never answer or have no idea about the scheme you are calling from.
Pros
Mostly clean.
Cons
Extremly low wage, zero opportunity for advancement, excruciatingly poor training opportunity. Zero support
2 August 2018

Thank you for providing your feedback, and I am sorry to hear of your experience with regards to your personal progression. As a large organisation, Sanctuary Group offers a wide variety of roles in its business areas, and potential avenues for progression, including in the area of the business you work in. The role of Care and Support Worker is a key role within the organisation, with the position requiring a Level 2 qualification. In respect of your specific concerns regarding support for a Level 3 qualification there is a mechanism for individual staff to make training requests in line with Sanctuary’s Learning and Development policy. Our in-house Learning Academy is a team dedicated to deliver a range of qualifications at various levels for the Group, and includes levels 2 to 5 in Health and Social Care.

While we endeavour to ensure that all of our services have appropriate staffing levels, we appreciate times may occur whereby staff are asked to carry out additional shifts and we are very grateful where staff help out on these occasions. All of our managers go through appropriate screening prior to appointment and are fully inducted to include staff management so I am sorry to hear that you have concerns regarding local management. We take all staff concerns seriously in line with our Grievance Policy and where staff have concerns within the workplace then we would encourage them to speak to their line manager in the first instance. Should you wish to discuss your experience confidentially with a member of the HR team, please do get in touch.

ok place to work
Project Worker (Current Employee) –  Worthing, West Sussex19 July 2018
Varied work, challenging and rewarding.
Learnt new skills through in house training
Management could be better
Lone working mainly
dealing with difficult challenging behaviour
seeing people making change, and making positive decisions
Pros
rewarding
Cons
frustrating
20 July 2018

Thanks for the outline of your role, and we’re delighted that you’ve developed since joining us! Regarding your frustrations, we would encourage you to discuss these with either your line manager or HR Business Partner.

Poor company
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire18 July 2018
Very poor company to work,never any staff or a manager that stays !worked at this home for 16 years once this company took over I lasted 8 months feel sorry for the clients the good staff are poorly treated
Pros
Meeting clients and familys
20 July 2018

We’re very sorry that you feel this way and would love to learn more about your experience so that we can look into it further. Please send full details to resourcing.team@sanctuary-housing.co.uk, thanks.

Lovely staff that make new starters feel welcome,relaxed working environment.
Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wirral, Merseyside11 July 2018
I have only recently started working for Sanctuary in one of their Newly built homes and I am still blown away by how beautiful it is! The staff have made me feel so welcome from the start,and its such a relaxed working environment.I love the fact "It's Person Centred Care" and the residents are treated like your own loved ones,And the faculties available to them such as their own Cinema room, Quite lounges,excellent entertainment, spacious airy surroundings and I feel proud to work with such happy staff that really enjoy their job.Its so unlike the previous homes I have worked in were you are constantly rushed off your feet,low moral,high staff turnover,bad management and never given any credit for juggling the unrealistic job load that is forced upon you. Well Done Sanctuary for providing a excellent working environment and making carers feel proud doing the job they love! 😁
Pros
Free lunches, excellent pay, and a stressfree working environment.
Cons
Cant think of anything bad to say!
13 July 2018

Reading that review really brought a smile to our faces! We’re so pleased that you’re enjoying your time with Sanctuary Care, and we’re sure it’s the start of a fulfilling career with us :)

Poor management
Assistant Chef (Former Employee) –  Gravesend, Kent24 June 2018
I was an assistant chef at Gravesend for just under 2and half years , although who I was assisiting I don't no ? Short staffed always so long hours most weekends , No support from management but no good complaining as then you just get bullied out of your job . Had to just leave in the end for my own sanity
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Overworked, management not a clue how to run the place
2 July 2018

Thanks for your review of your time working for Sanctuary and for your feedback. While we endeavour to ensure that all of our services have appropriate staffing levels, we appreciate there may be times when staff are asked to carry out additional shifts, and we’re very grateful when staff do help out on these occasions.

All of our managers go through appropriate screening prior to appointment and are fully inducted to include staff management so we’re sorry to hear that you did not feel supported during your time with us. We take allegations of bullying very seriously in line with our Bullying and Harassment Policy, and where staff feel that this is occurring in the workplace then we would encourage them to speak to their local HR Business Partner in order for this to be investigated. If you’d like to discuss your experience confidentially with a member of the HR team, please get in touch.

The Hours are very long for very low wages
Healthcare Assistant (Current Employee) –  London23 June 2018
There should be time and a half Sundays & bank holiday but there isn't they would sooner pay Agency 16.00 an hour than up our wages to 10.00
Very disorganized your expected to give your days of to do training but you only get 1 days notice very little communication from manager.
Why we just got a pay rise of 16 pence an hour very insulting really.
If you live in London the pay should be higher.
Pros
Were like a family.
Cons
Very long hours for very little pay
27 June 2018

Thanks for your review and we’re sorry to see that you have concerns. We can confirm that our terms and conditions are benchmarked externally to ensure that they remain competitive within the sector. If you would like to chat anything through, we would encourage you to get in touch with your HR Business Partner, who will be happy to support you.

Caring enviroment
Domestic Assistant (Current Employee) –  Worcester, Worcestershire21 June 2018
Scheduled cleaning of rooms and communal areas.
Good community spirit and interaction with service users and other colleagues.
Flexible with holidays and "fun days" are provided which include all staff members.
Hardest part is the physicality of cleaning.
Most enjoyable - the people.
29 June 2018

Thanks for the review and lovely feedback! We’re delighted to hear that you’re working with great people.

Caretaker/Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Worcester13 June 2018
Management did not know what she was doing . Wasn't qualified enough , went from supervisor to estate manager and learned as she managed. Quick to blame others for her lack of qualification
Pros
Hours and pay
Cons
Working under incompetent managers
15 June 2018

We’re very sorry that you didn’t feel supported by your manager during your time with Sanctuary. Please email resourcing.team@sanctuary-housing.co.uk with more details as we’d like to look into this further.

Good company to work for
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  March7 June 2018
A good person centred company which is growing delivering support to all clients ranging from retirement, learning disabilities, homelessness and mental health.
14 June 2018

Thanks for the review! People are certainly at the heart of everything we do :)

Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wantage, Oxfordshire7 June 2018
Care (Former Employee) –  Seaham Harbour, Durham6 June 2018
Wouldn't work with Sanctuary again...
Care and Support Worker (Former Employee) –  South East6 June 2018
Having been my first experience of working in Care, I enjoyed the work and building rapport with residents. I felt the management was awful and really needed to be changed as it took forever to get anything done or sorted out. Some staff couldn't do their jobs properly and some didn't pull their weight when trying to cover shifts. Never time for handover so things got forgotten and staff not properly informed of things. All about money too... Very quick to take people's money but the quality of care only depreciated while I was there. When I left found that a lot of things had changed but not for the best as they regularly receive complaints now... never been ran very well... disappointed and must admit won't be working in Care again.
Pros
Rapport with residents
Cons
Overworked Staff, Management, all about money
7 June 2018

It’s very concerning for us to read your comments, and while you have now left Sanctuary we would really like the opportunity to look into your concerns further. Please email further details of your experience to resourcing.team@sanctuary-housing.co.uk. Thanks.

Poor company
Painter and Decorator (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow3 June 2018
Very poor company to work for left a job of 13years to join sanctuary. Dont know why they are asking for qualifications they don’t see painting and decorating as a trade. Management don’t have any understanding how to approach Big jobs or projects I.e painting projects. Once you join they want you to complete hit weekly targets. STAY AWAY!!
7 June 2018

We’re very sorry that you didn’t have a positive time with us and we would like the opportunity to discuss your feedback in more detail. Please email resourcing.team@sanctuary-housing.co.uk.

no home life
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Worcester, Worcestershire21 May 2018
never enough staff so moving and handling is done on your own you work double shifts 14 hours a day with 30 min. break. very clique, good if your face fits. you never get praised but always get told off.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
long hours lack off staff
29 May 2018

Hi there, thanks for the review. All of our staff do receive moving and handling training as part of their induction and we do always ensure that we have sufficient staff on duty to support our residents. We can also assure you that the break entitlements for all our staff comply with both employment and health and safety legislation. Please contact the Resourcing team by emailing resourcing.team@sanctuary-housing.co.uk, as we'd welcome more feedback and be happy to have a more detailed discussion with you.

appalling service to work at
Project Worker (Former Employee) –  Bognor Regis, West Sussex18 May 2018
Appalling service in Bognor Regis property isn't fit for purpose and management does nothing about physical and verbal abuse of staff from residents. Not a safe place to work.
Pros
Cons
anti social hours, poor pay
29 May 2018

Thanks for your review of your time with us. Sanctuary Supported Living strives to provide appropriate accommodation for all our clients and with the roll-out of our standard operating model, we are reviewing our properties to ensure they meet or exceed these standards for the client group and to make sure that our staff continue to have a safe environment to work within. As outlined in our Bullying and Harassment Policy and Procedure, we take the treatment of our staff very seriously. We would appreciate it if you were able to provide further feedback on your experience by emailing resourcing.team@sanctuary-housing.co.uk. You can rest assured that all feedback is investigated, and changes in our approach are made where required.

Good stabile company
Clinical Lead (Former Employee) –  Beechwood15 May 2018
Good company ,provides staff with lots of training .Encouraging staff to develop and take on more responsibilities.Was there for 5 years,enjoyed working as a team.
16 May 2018

Thanks for the review and feedback around our learning opportunities, we will share this with our Learning Academy! We’re also really pleased that you enjoyed your five years with Sanctuary.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sanctuary Group. Our community is ready to answer.