Play YouTube video button

Sanctuary Care Employee Reviews

Featured review
Sanctuary Care selected this as a representative review
An amazing company to work for
Home Manager (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, Devon27 April 2019
I am amazed at how quick I was able to start work. I have loved every minute I have worked for the company and feel valued and supported. I do not plan on leaving any time soon!
Pros
free lunch, supportive staff and manager, free training
Cons
no air con
Terrible unless you want to work constantly.
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  North East15 May 2019
Where on earth do I start. First of all, the pay is horrible for what you do. Minimum wage for doing care which is an extremely hard job.
Secondly, they have absolutely no compassion. Doesn’t matter whether you have children or family to take care of, or if you’re struggling with a long term chronic illness (which you declare whilst applying for the job), if you ring in sick, no matter how rarely, you will get snotty responses from management. I once had a manager ask me why I was ringing in sick on weekends when struggling with my chronic illness (this was my second time ringing in sick in months mind you), told her it might have something to do with the fact that I work every weekend.
Thirdly, you get no support at all. If you’re having problems at work, you can report it but nothing will be done, and you can’t report any staff for the rampant bullying that occurs as they’re all clique-y and will just wave it off. Sometimes management will even tell those that have been reported who they’ve been reported by! Just to make you’re job that little bit harder.
The work/life balance is terrible, working 12 hour shifts is bad enough but most of the time they can’t even put in your requested holidays right (or at least not where I worked).
They also don’t care if you end up in hospital with someone and have to stay there hours after your shift has ended. If family won’t come and they don’t feel like sending staff to relieve you, you’re stuck. One person I worked with ended up being kicked out of a hospital at 12 o’clock after being there for hours and was supposed to finish
  more... their shift at 7:30. They had called earlier on to ask for someone to relieve them as they were already 3 hours over their finishing time and were told tough and that they had to stay or they would get sacked. One of the doctors in the hospital ended up calling the home and shouting at the manager about how unsafe it was for them to be doing a 16 and a half hour shift, and they still expected them to come back in the next night !

Overall a terrible company to work for unless you want to live at your workplace and get walked all over. Do not reccomend.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, no compassion, don’t care about staff, terrible pay
Bullying and Intermidation by inapt managers.
Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside5 May 2019
New broom sweeps clean is how it is in are care home. Pulled into the office at least once a day.Reasons are pathetic apparently talked about the desert that day which was trifle aggressively.
Off duty no requests no swaps told job is more important than family.
Family friendly policy ignored, as are meal breaks on a 12 hour shift no free meals for us as advertised. Not worth having anyway.
Off duty put up go on rest day come back it's changed does not matter if you have made arrangements on that rota.That's ok if you are management or admin. Monday to Friday 9 till 5 Bank holidays
off.
Told not to give opioions to professionals even though I had been asked I have no opioions apparently,even though I work with the residents.
Had to take holidays as the bullying and intimidation became to much.Came back pulled into office once more. I have done this job for 32years without a problem six of those years in this care home and for a couple of years in the early days.
They don't know the meaning of confidentiality go into speak to them and everybody from admin to domestic staff know your business by next break time.
How does this make you feel demoralised.They hope they will wear you down,that you will leave.
Pros
Residents
Cons
Oh please see above.
7 May 2019

Hi, if you'd like to make a request with regards to your family responsibilities, you can do this via Solis, and we are generally supportive of these requests wherever we can be. We also take bullying concerns very seriously, and would suggest you refer to our Bullying and Harassment Policy and Procedure, also available on Solis. We are very sorry to read your comments, and would really like to talk to you about your experience in further detail. We would encourage you to start by having a chat with either your line manager or your HR Business Partner.

What can I say
HCA/Support Worker (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London3 May 2019
To many Agency staff sitting looking at there phone , manager is very weak allows people to walk all over him ,when there has been meeting s
We've explained about bullying that's rampant,but it fall on deaf ears ,some of the patients ARE NOT getting the care they deserve ,
Necrotic wounds that go unnoticed .
Basically they do not care .
Do not touch them
And the pay is rubbish.
Pros
Non
Cons
All of it
7 May 2019

We’re very sorry to hear about your recent experiences, and would like to talk to you about this in further detail. Please get in touch so that we can arrange for a HR Business Partner to contact you at the earliest opportunity.

No support , bad management and pay.
Bank Assistant Chef (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London28 April 2019
Bad management and manager actually stealing food from residents living there. No organisation at all and your considers are ignored Manager cutting food budget : ( that the residents cannot have nice food especially at Xmas time.
Pros
None free lunch if you can
Cons
No benefits over worked
29 April 2019

We're sorry to hear about your recent experiences at one of our homes, as we pride ourselves on providing nutritious and healthy food for all of our residents. We also have a range of benefits that are available to all staff as part of their terms of employment. We’d like to talk to you more about your comments, so please get in touch and we’ll arrange for a HR Business Partner to call you back.

very corporate
Registered Manager (Former Employee) –  South West14 August 2018
would not recommend constant change minimal support

training available but limited locations

ever changing senior management
poor staff turnover
unrealistic goals -
staff morale low
senior management teams rarely visit homes but are constantly changing practices within homes

poor pay no on call allowance
no bonuses for managers
Pros
nice staff
Cons
corporate
Lovely place to work residents are lovely
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Worcester, Worcestershire2 August 2018
Lovely place to work residents are lovely And I love helping the residents with there day to day living as I feel that I have actually achieved something when I leave work
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Low salary
Friendly place to work
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire31 May 2018
You start your day by putting all staffs time.
Ordering Grocery & Office Supply
Learned about old people needs
Time managing
The place always clean, residents happy & tidy office
The hardest part was every when is time to go home she wanted you to work on something which you cloud done earlier
I enjoy my work because I always surrounded by good friends, cheerful, staff and management are great. They celebrate each event.
Pros
Free Lunch
very good
Team Leader, Deputy Manager, Acting Home Manager (Former Employee) –  Romford2 April 2018
i learnt ll bout running large care home of 60 bedded adult with dementia. i learnt how to manage a large care team and work in multi linked care providers. also to ensure that the organisation strieved for best and was recognised with CQC and other commissioning bodies.
ensured that all policies and procedures were adhered, budget was managed , salaries were correct, all staff profiles were up to date at home office requirements.
ensuring care provided was evidenced and that all area of care were met to high standards.
within sanctuary there is scope to grow internally within the company.
Lovely place to work residents are lovely
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Worcester, Worcestershire6 November 2017
Pros
Free lunch
Good Workplace
Pre-Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London6 October 2017
Everything is mostly peachy but some staff have attitude problems even the management cannot seem to handle.

Overall it's a good company that pays well, however, some information are not disclosed to their employees.
Pros
Free meal
Cons
Staff attitude problems
Stressful
Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire7 April 2017
HCA job role was fun loving but staff culture is poor. No team work ..Jealously n enemity

Management is never satisfied with the work done...Seniors do partiality.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Long hours ..too heavy work..
Excellent in provision of care.
Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London29 January 2017
Salaries are very good as compared to the market trends. It is a charity organisation running on a non profit making. Staffs are well paid.
Pros
Training facilities are good
Cons
Sickness level high
Nightmare no support
None (Former Employee) –  Midlands22 April 2016
I worked for sanctuary care for over a year, lack of support from home manager and head office. No job security and very quick to threaten disciplinary action when something is not correct.
Pros
Cons
Hours
7 June 2016

Hi, we're sorry that your experience of working with us didn't match up to expectations. We're dedicated to making Sanctuary Care a great place to work, so if you would like to give us further details so that we can discuss things with you, please send an email to resourcing.team@sanctuary-housing.co.uk.

Opressive and substandard
None (Former Employee) –  Congleton20 March 2016
This is one of the most disgusting environments I have ever had to endure, throughout my working life. The staff and management are a disgrace. Staff are treated with lack of respect, without value and barely like a human being. Staff members are constantly undermining other staff members and don't give a second thought to bullying tactics, if your face doesn't fit. If the staff spent as much time caring for the residents as they do running to management to tell tales on each other, then the care might well reach the lever of 'mediocre'. Quite frankly, I wouldn't dream of allowing a family member to endure such a cold, unfriendly place. The manager thinks nothing of berating her staff in public, actively spies on staff members and encourages staff to listen and report back to her. The staff are not kept in the loop of what is happening in the building as the manager enjoys the power of keeping everyone guessing. She also has a way of putting across under handed threats, usually along the lines of lack of job security. All in all, dismal.
Pros
Cons
Bad management, poor staff.
10 June 2016

We're sorry that this was your experience. We're dedicated to creating a positive work culture, so we'd like discuss this further with you. Please email resourcing.team@sanctuary-housing.co.uk

waiting...
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Warwickshire5 March 2016
I have not yet started my job for this company and now having second thoughts. They do not seem bothered about contacting me about start date all they do when ii get in touch is email ! I never get a direct answer. The reviews dont look good . They need to look after there workers !
Pros
self worth.
Cons
12 shifts
7 June 2016

We're sorry that you didn't receive your start date in good time. Communicating with all of our candidates and employees is important to us. Please email resourcing.team@sanctuary-housing.co.uk with your contact details so we can discuss this with you.

supportive
Head of Care and Support (Current Employee) –  Huntingdon12 February 2016
I manage an extra care scheme of 34 flats for adults over 65.
I line manage 12 staff members and two team leaders. I would come to the office around 0830, my start time was 9am however i found it a massive help to catch up with emails and the staff room communication book so that i knew how to plan my day,
once i had done this i would create a short flexible to do list, dealing with any queries i may have been sent through email, tenants or staff.
my office was on reception so therefore i would have tenants, their family,staff and visitors through the door most of the day dealing with matters as they arise.
i would rota staff onto shifts, check care plans that the team leaders had reviewed and prepare any information regards to changes to give to the staff.
No day was the same but challenging, fun and very rewarding.
Pros
client satisfaction
10 June 2016

Thanks for your comments and describing what you do. It's great to hear that no day was the same and although challenging, it could be fun and very rewarding.

Be aware of sanctuary!!
Domestic Assistant (Current Employee) –  Worcester, ENG2 February 2016
I currently work for sanctuary care and have done for the last 12 months as a cleaner. The management is disgusting! They have there favourites, and if they don't like u trust me they will let u know about it! Too many clicky friendships and they choose who they want to pick on. Currently trying to find another job. The only ones I feel sorry for are the residents. AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!
7 June 2016

We're sorry to hear you're not happy in your role. We'd like to discuss this with you so please send an email to resourcing.team@sanctuary-housing.co.uk.

Run for your life!!
care support (Former Employee) –  Yarnton25 January 2016
Avoid this company at all costs. New recent management is horrendous!! Surprised is any staff left, some really good care given but these people soon loose the will to live because of the lack of support and the constant guilt of knowing you are not able to do your best due to bad staffing etc
Pros
Sometimes you get the correct pay. This leads to a good month
Cons
The guilt you feel for the residents
7 June 2016

We would like to understand more about your review so we can put things right if need be. Could you please contact resourcing.team@sanctuary-housing.co.uk?

Positive work enviorment
Maintenance coordinator (Current Employee) –  Sheffield, ENG20 January 2016
Good team work, and excellent care environment. A company who listens to its work force to improve standard of care and the wellbeing of residents and staff.
7 June 2016

Thank you for your review and for your kind comments. We're pleased that you are enjoying your time with us!

poor work place poorly ran by bad managmebt
senior care assistant (Former Employee) –  Yarnton oxford8 January 2016
Worked at Yarnton nursing home for 3 year the first 18 was good then the next 18 months very bad. Bad cqc report and very badly managed the management have favourites and some staff are protected by management when taking concerns regarding safe garding and whistle blowing management seem to listen while you are there then nothing is done only berried under the carpet. Training is shabby and poor led by incompetent trainers. My advice is check cqc report before thinking of becoming a team member.
Pros
working with the clients
Cons
working at yarnton fullstop.
8 July 2016

Hi, we're very sorry that you didn't have a positive experience working with us. If you would like to give us further details so that we can discuss things with you, please send an email to Resourcing.team@sanctuary-housing.co.uk. We are also pleased to say that the home has recently been awarded a 'good' CQC rating.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sanctuary Care. Our community is ready to answer.

Sanctuary Care Reviews by Location