Sage Employee Reviews

United Kingdom63 reviews
Overall a good company to work for
The positives:
Personal development is actively encouraged and in-house recruitment for roles is actively encouraged.

Sage are working on their diversity and inclusion programme.

Each employee has 5 days to spend out of the business supporting charities or working for the local community.

The negatives:

Sales targets have become a large part of the technical support role putting more pressure on staff to spend time trying to sell rather than to the technical aspect of the role.
Pros
Colleagues are great real support for each other
Cons
Can be a very stressfull environment with sales targets added to the technical support role
I enjoy working here
I do enjoy working here and love the people and the culture Its an interesting job and the customers are great to work with and always a pleasure to solve issues they maybe having
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Customer service but still need to make sales on every call
Lovely staff, poor management & leadership
Working in the finance division for a period of 3 years, Sage is a challenging and can be an exciting place to work. In spite of this it still operates a blame culture at the top level where staff members are frequently not given the tools to succeed in their role and blamed for not meeting unrealistic deadlines.
Progression opportunities are available however personally I felt I got a lack of support and development from my line manager.
Amazing place to work but strict and if you're apart of a contract then they will throw you out no matter how big or small the issue
Sage is a amazing place to work with good pay and benefits the bonus/benefits may not be as good as other places but the work environment and culture is amazing , they say they are there to support you but obviously this is only just show. Only complaint would be that they hired someone who has no experience at sage as a manager who did not understand the company from the cultures to the actual product which caused hardship at work. Sage is focused on the quality of work not just kpis but this new manager was so focused on kpis she didn't realise the stress put upon the employees and would treat the employees like a child , but this was just a new manager the other managers that actually worked their way up and actually deserve the role are amazing staff
Endless promises
The job sounds enticing... weekends off, commission, incentives, staff parties, free parking + flexible hours.
Yet these are just ways to mask how awful and boring the job is. I was in tech support.

With recruiting MORE staff the training was clearly underfunded and rushed, with only having a selection of trainers. After training you enter ‘gradbay’ to which you’re promised additional support, the chance to ‘move up’
Pros
incentives, free parking, staff events, pay
Cons
Tedious, too many KPIs, lack of support, endless promises
Bad place to work
not a good company to work for, toxic culture. Ask for tasks to be completed that are far beyond your job role. Was asked many times to work additional hours for no overtime pay or hours back.
Pros
good people who worked there
Cons
management
No advancement
Sage is very micromanaged so it can be quite an uncomfortable environment to work in. There is a clear divide between managers and normal members of staff. The benefits are good with the perks scheme however this does not make it a desirable place to work.
Customer focused but target pressure causing issues
I've been at sage for nearly a year now and I've loved every day of it, the day to day of working here is different, you are always kept on your toes with customers coming through with different queries, and I love that, the satisfaction of helping someone is top notch.

The rewards and benefits of working here are also amazing, and the flexibility for working times is changeable after your first year.

However there are issues with the company that is leaving a bad taste in my mouth ever so gradually... when I started the company there was no information fed to us that the roll was going to be this intense for sales... 1 year down the line I'm sitting in the middle of October no where near my sales target [Im technical support] and im starting to panic, and now instead of giving my customer the best possible tech support i can, im always looking at what i can sell them after the call is complete...

I'll be honest I've not had an issue in the 12 months I've been here, it's just this month, there are steps in place to get this resolved but the pressure do change is beyond a joke.
Pros
Commission, Incentives, holidays, flexible hours
Cons
Targets
good
Nice place to work, it depends on individual, some do prefer the lifestyle here, some do not. go place to learn and explore new things. it is really a nice place to work.
Sales! Sales! Sales!
Advertise roles for 'technical support advisors' but really you're just another sales advisor. Main KPI and bonus target is from sales, even if the customer doesn't need/want anything. Minimal training given as you're expected to fob the customer off with online articles so you can keep answering the never ending queue of complaints, whilst never actually helping. Targets set unrealistically high so be prepared to be performance managed out the door or jump before you're pushed. Not customer focused, don't care about staff. Staff turnover is highest I've ever seen!!!
Pros
mon-fri
Cons
Everything else
Toxic workplace where job uncertainty is now the norm
Used to be a great company with its roots in the North East. Sadly the CEO has ripped the heart out of the company with redundancies being commonplace and 10% of the workforce being at risk of being sacked every year. Many jobs are being moved to eastern Europe so the company can save money. Avoid joining at all costs!
Pros
Was some great people
Cons
Low job security, long hours, poor leadership, toxic culture
An amazing company heading in a bad direction
I know many that have worked for the company the head office based in Newcastle upon Tyne. It seems staff have gone from earning a reasonable amount to being set up to fail with targets set so high they cannot be reached. This then has ended in some being paid off, some performance managed out the door and it has not stopped. For their head of sales to basically state she wanted her staff to be so desperate for their bonus they rely on it to pay for their home. Coming from a company that has slashed their commission plan globally so it is impossible to earn a reasonable wage as the basic is set so low.
This is such a twist on past conversations I have had with said people who loved the company, believed in the brand and enjoyed their roles.

I find it interesting that the media has not printed anything relating to the 100 people probably more sacked or let go, but just high up leaders exiting. (Theres something a little fishy there)

Seems someone upstairs is making the wrong decisions for what was a fantastic North East born company!

Lets hope they sort the mess out before they have no staff as companies are already headhunting.

There are always other options for fantastic driven sales staff, be smart, start looking.

Good luck Sage
Pros
North East Based
Cons
Covered
not a nice place to work
management poor, human rights = not allowed (eg drink of water, going to the toilet.)

not what it is said to be, big the job up so much in interviews, online etc. in reality it is depressing and not a good place to work.
Pros
commission
Cons
poor management.
Only worked there for a few weeks
Worked at Sage for brief period of time, but during my time there I found it a very positive place to work despite the expected restrictions required to operate a service desk.
Pros
Cheap coffee
sage
generally a good company to work for
but now major changes and feels more like a machine , but holidays insurance and package are good, pension is good
Pros
good environment
Cons
feels more like a machine now
Exciting and new area of work (B2B)
The working day would start with logging into the system, going through my diary and prioritizing calls to generate the most revenue. Following up on leads for further aquisission of business opportunities.

I learned how to get through to the right people in order to speak to decision makers thus not wasting time and showing productivitity. The vast majority of calls started with a secretary (gatekeeper) and their job was to keep you from speaking to DM's.

The culture was pretty mucgh the same as what I had been used to in other roles.

The most enjoyable part of the job was obviously getting big sales thus keeping my integrity and reputation.
Pros
A new side of sales, a different approach.
Cons
Temping role.
Productive and Different
On a day to day basis, you would come in and go to the cafe downstairs to get yourself a coffee. You must clock in before 9am as that is when the telephone lines open and if you didn't it would affect your adherence. The adherence would have to be over 90% every day to hit targets. Once you log on from 9am to 5pm (excluding breaks and lunch) you would be taking telephone calls.

From this i learnt about all the different kinds of customers you can possibly have to deal with whether they are angry, confused or in a happy mood they do act differently over the phone as they do face to face.

Management was good at Sage however I have had better. every 6 weeks we would get a 1 to 1 about personal development. Some of the managers wouldnt schedule out of the phones for this and literally have a bit of 'chit chat' for it instead which i wasn't happy about.

The hardest part of the job would of been the travel as it would take me 1 hour to get there on the morning and 1 and a half hours to get home due to traffic.

The most enjoyable part about my job was the colleagues I worked with. Everyday we would come in and always make sure we were all positive by cheering anyone up and just having general conversation.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Travel
Excelent work place
My time at sage was enjoyable. The management decided to replace all reception desks with security. It was an interesting customer facing role. It was my second stint at Sage
Excellent company
I received first class training to help me progress into a new role within the company. Job security is good. People are friendly and the facilities are excellent.
Pros
Excellent salary
Cons
range of food on menu
ok place to work
this was a long time ago very few memories of this company. i have some fond memories of this place however suspect it will have changed since i left.
If you want a challenge, aren't lazy..this place will make you
Sage is great, but don't join if you want an easy ride. If you love to be challenged, want to develop your career, learn from awesome colleagues then Sage is for you. If you want an easy life, laid back and are, lets face it, a bit lazy then forget it...you'll hate it.

Delighted two of my colleagues are nominated for platinum elite - if they do it, an all expenses amazing holiday in Mexico with their partners...awesome!
Pros
I love it, my colleagues are awesome...they, and I, give everything and the rewards are jut great. Buy leave, buy shares, loads of discounts from companies, good holiday, childcare vouchers, health benefits - and so much.
Cons
Don't hire wasters - they makes Sage look rubish