Sage Employee Reviews

Customer focused but target pressure causing issues
Payroll Technical Support (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne10 October 2018
I've been at sage for nearly a year now and I've loved every day of it, the day to day of working here is different, you are always kept on your toes with customers coming through with different queries, and I love that, the satisfaction of helping someone is top notch.

The rewards and benefits of working here are also amazing, and the flexibility for working times is changeable after your first year.

However there are issues with the company that is leaving a bad taste in my mouth ever so gradually... when I started the company there was no information fed to us that the roll was going to be this intense for sales... 1 year down the line I'm sitting in the middle of October no where near my sales target [Im technical support] and im starting to panic, and now instead of giving my customer the best possible tech support i can, im always looking at what i can sell them after the call is complete...

I'll be honest I've not had an issue in the 12 months I've been here, it's just this month, there are steps in place to get this resolved but the pressure do change is beyond a joke.
Pros
Commission, Incentives, holidays, flexible hours
Cons
Targets
good
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire19 September 2018
Nice place to work, it depends on individual, some do prefer the lifestyle here, some do not. go place to learn and explore new things. it is really a nice place to work.
Sales! Sales! Sales!
Technical Support Advisor (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear18 September 2018
Advertise roles for 'technical support advisors' but really you're just another sales advisor. Main KPI and bonus target is from sales, even if the customer doesn't need/want anything. Minimal training given as you're expected to fob the customer off with online articles so you can keep answering the never ending queue of complaints, whilst never actually helping. Targets set unrealistically high so be prepared to be performance managed out the door or jump before you're pushed. Not customer focused, don't care about staff. Staff turnover is highest I've ever seen!!!
Pros
mon-fri
Cons
Everything else
Toxic workplace where job uncertainty is now the norm
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear12 July 2018
Used to be a great company with its roots in the North East. Sadly the CEO has ripped the heart out of the company with redundancies being commonplace and 10% of the workforce being at risk of being sacked every year. Many jobs are being moved to eastern Europe so the company can save money. Avoid joining at all costs!
Pros
Was some great people
Cons
Low job security, long hours, poor leadership, toxic culture
An amazing company heading in a bad direction
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear28 June 2018
I know many that have worked for the company the head office based in Newcastle upon Tyne. It seems staff have gone from earning a reasonable amount to being set up to fail with targets set so high they cannot be reached. This then has ended in some being paid off, some performance managed out the door and it has not stopped. For their head of sales to basically state she wanted her staff to be so desperate for their bonus they rely on it to pay for their home. Coming from a company that has slashed their commission plan globally so it is impossible to earn a reasonable wage as the basic is set so low.
This is such a twist on past conversations I have had with said people who loved the company, believed in the brand and enjoyed their roles.
I find it interesting that the media has not printed anything relating to the 100 people probably more sacked or let go, but just high up leaders exiting. (Theres something a little fishy there)
Seems someone upstairs is making the wrong decisions for what was a fantastic North East born company!
Lets hope they sort the mess out before they have no staff as companies are already headhunting.
There are always other options for fantastic driven sales staff, be smart, start looking.
Good luck Sage
Pros
North East Based
Cons
Covered
not a nice place to work
Telesales (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne4 June 2018
management poor, human rights = not allowed (eg drink of water, going to the toilet.)

not what it is said to be, big the job up so much in interviews, online etc. in reality it is depressing and not a good place to work.
Pros
commission
Cons
poor management.
Only worked there for a few weeks
Payroll Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Longbenton18 April 2018
Worked at Sage for brief period of time, but during my time there I found it a very positive place to work despite the expected restrictions required to operate a service desk.
Pros
Cheap coffee
sage
sale account manager (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear21 March 2018
generally a good company to work for
but now major changes and feels more like a machine , but holidays insurance and package are good, pension is good
Pros
good environment
Cons
feels more like a machine now
Exciting and new area of work (B2B)
Sales Adviser (Former Employee) –  Gosforth Newcastle Upon Tyne16 January 2018
The working day would start with logging into the system, going through my diary and prioritizing calls to generate the most revenue. Following up on leads for further aquisission of business opportunities.

I learned how to get through to the right people in order to speak to decision makers thus not wasting time and showing productivitity. The vast majority of calls started with a secretary (gatekeeper) and their job was to keep you from speaking to DM's.

The culture was pretty mucgh the same as what I had been used to in other roles.

The most enjoyable part of the job was obviously getting big sales thus keeping my integrity and reputation.
Pros
A new side of sales, a different approach.
Cons
Temping role.
Productive and Different
Technician (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne13 January 2018
On a day to day basis, you would come in and go to the cafe downstairs to get yourself a coffee. You must clock in before 9am as that is when the telephone lines open and if you didn't it would affect your adherence. The adherence would have to be over 90% every day to hit targets. Once you log on from 9am to 5pm (excluding breaks and lunch) you would be taking telephone calls.

From this i learnt about all the different kinds of customers you can possibly have to deal with whether they are angry, confused or in a happy mood they do act differently over the phone as they do face to face.

Management was good at Sage however I have had better. every 6 weeks we would get a 1 to 1 about personal development. Some of the managers wouldnt schedule out of the phones for this and literally have a bit of 'chit chat' for it instead which i wasn't happy about.

The hardest part of the job would of been the travel as it would take me 1 hour to get there on the morning and 1 and a half hours to get home due to traffic.

The most enjoyable part about my job was the colleagues I worked with. Everyday we would come in and always make sure we were all positive by cheering anyone up and just having general conversation.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Travel

Want to know more about Sage?

Ask a question
Excelent work place
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Winnersh, Berkshire3 January 2018
My time at sage was enjoyable. The management decided to replace all reception desks with security. It was an interesting customer facing role. It was my second stint at Sage
Terrible place to work
Regional Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Home3 January 2018
Worst years of my career, got progressively worse year on year with the annual management change.
More concerned with bottom line than staff, very much an attitude of ' if you wont do it, we will find someone who will'
Lots of stick, no carrot (well unless you call keeping you job a carrot)

I should point out too I had a fairly senior role and was there for more than 3 years. The way staff were/are treated is from the top down.
Excellent company
Computer Operator (Former Employee) –  North East30 November 2017
I received first class training to help me progress into a new role within the company. Job security is good. People are friendly and the facilities are excellent.
Pros
Excellent salary
Cons
range of food on menu
ok place to work
Telesales executive (Former Employee) –  Gosforth, Tyne and Wear11 September 2017
this was a long time ago very few memories of this company. i have some fond memories of this place however suspect it will have changed since i left.
If you want a challenge, aren't lazy..this place will make you
Sales Executive (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear6 September 2017
Sage is great, but don't join if you want an easy ride. If you love to be challenged, want to develop your career, learn from awesome colleagues then Sage is for you. If you want an easy life, laid back and are, lets face it, a bit lazy then forget it...you'll hate it.

Delighted two of my colleagues are nominated for platinum elite - if they do it, an all expenses amazing holiday in Mexico with their partners...awesome!
Pros
I love it, my colleagues are awesome...they, and I, give everything and the rewards are jut great. Buy leave, buy shares, loads of discounts from companies, good holiday, childcare vouchers, health benefits - and so much.
Cons
Don't hire wasters - they makes Sage look rubish
Awful place to work
Technical Support Advisor (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne26 August 2017
The company don't care about their staff in the slightest. They don't give sufficient training anymore like they used to, new entrants to the jobs are often thrown in at the deep end and nowadays most don't make it as they aren't given any support. There is a generally negative mood throughout the whole company, really not a nice place to work.
Pros
Pays relatively well
Cons
No support from managers
Great for new starters
Developer (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester2 August 2017
I found that the team ethos was really motivating, however, there is an expectation gap that was hard to meet based on a lack of training and development from going beyond a junior role. Whereas there are lots of projects going on and new technologies are embraced, it is unfortunately based on your own initiatives, rather than being given the time to dedicate to upskilling and learning from mentors. Part of the problem is that many projects had an ambitious start and good intentions but as deadlines approached, we lost the focus on producing clean code and being able to adhere to agreed coding standards.
Pros
pension benefits
Cons
expected overtime
Started off great, but gradually got worse. (Everyone's a sales rep.)
Payroll Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear6 May 2017
Worked at Sage for just over two years, and for the first 18 month I'd say everything was fantastic. Thoroughly enjoyed my role as a Payroll Specialist supporting the customers as you gain a fantastic insight and knowledge base for the field, along with developing your customer service skills.

However, recent changes state that near enough everyone in the business who's customer facing must achieve some form of sales target and revenue, which you are statistically tracked upon. (If this target is not achieved, can lead to PIP's and disciplinary, even if your primary role is technical / software support and was NEVER stated in the original contract.)

Management are a mixed bag, with only some who genuinely seem to care and invest a lot of time to help you develop and progress through the company. However, many others only seem interested in making sure you're ticking the boxes so the company makes their revenue, rather than making sure their workers are happy and able to provide the best service possible, whilst developing their own careers.

Best way to summarise.. No matter what you're doing, expect it to be sales driven.. If you enjoy an 'americanized' environment, then go for it. You will however, only be a small, replaceable cog in a rather large machine.
Pros
Variety of benefits (computer loan / cycle to work scheme), on-site gym at Newcastle, great coffee shop.
Cons
Everything is sales driven, stupidly high performance culture, some management love themselves and no-one else.
Learning & Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear18 April 2017
Working at Sage UK Limited (A FTSE 100 company- based in the North East) offers you a great work life balance, brilliant colleagues & team mates and a good organisation to work for.
Pros
Employee Benefits & Work Life Balance
Cons
Moving toward a global rather than regional culture
If you subscribe to the 80/20 rule, Sage is a good place to be. I genuinely enjoyed working here 80% of the time.
Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear24 March 2017
They expect a lot, and to progress you have to either be very good at playing the game, or avoiding the politics, but it's probably no different in any big organisation like Sage.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sage. Our community is ready to answer.