Sage Employee Reviews

not a nice place to work
Telesales (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne4 June 2018
management poor, human rights = not allowed (eg drink of water, going to the toilet.)

not what it is said to be, big the job up so much in interviews, online etc. in reality it is depressing and not a good place to work.
Pros
commission
Cons
poor management.
Only worked there for a few weeks
Payroll Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Longbenton18 April 2018
Worked at Sage for brief period of time, but during my time there I found it a very positive place to work despite the expected restrictions required to operate a service desk.
Pros
Cheap coffee
Cons
Exciting and new area of work (B2B)
Sales Adviser (Former Employee) –  Gosforth Newcastle Upon Tyne16 January 2018
The working day would start with logging into the system, going through my diary and prioritizing calls to generate the most revenue. Following up on leads for further aquisission of business opportunities.

I learned how to get through to the right people in order to speak to decision makers thus not wasting time and showing productivitity. The vast majority of calls started with a secretary (gatekeeper) and their job was to keep you from speaking to DM's.

The culture was pretty mucgh the same as what I had been used to in other roles.

The most enjoyable part of the job was obviously getting big sales thus keeping my integrity and reputation.
Pros
A new side of sales, a different approach.
Cons
Temping role.
Productive and Different
Technician (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne13 January 2018
On a day to day basis, you would come in and go to the cafe downstairs to get yourself a coffee. You must clock in before 9am as that is when the telephone lines open and if you didn't it would affect your adherence. The adherence would have to be over 90% every day to hit targets. Once you log on from 9am to 5pm (excluding breaks and lunch) you would be taking telephone calls.

From this i learnt about all the different kinds of customers you can possibly have to deal with whether they are angry, confused or in a happy mood they do act differently over the phone as they do face to face.

Management was good at Sage however I have had better. every 6 weeks we would get a 1 to 1 about personal development. Some of the managers wouldnt schedule out of the phones for this and literally have a bit of 'chit chat' for it instead which i wasn't happy about.

The hardest part of the job would of been the travel as it would take me 1 hour to get there on the morning and 1 and a half hours to get home due to traffic.

The most enjoyable part about my job was the colleagues I worked with. Everyday we would come in and always make sure we were all positive by cheering anyone up and just having general conversation.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Travel
Excelent work place
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Winnersh, Berkshire3 January 2018
My time at sage was enjoyable. The management decided to replace all reception desks with security. It was an interesting customer facing role. It was my second stint at Sage
Terrible place to work
Regional Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Home3 January 2018
Worst years of my career, got progressively worse year on year with the annual management change.
More concerned with bottom line than staff, very much an attitude of ' if you wont do it, we will find someone who will'
Lots of stick, no carrot (well unless you call keeping you job a carrot)

I should point out too I had a fairly senior role and was there for more than 3 years. The way staff were/are treated is from the top down.
Excellent company
Computer Operator (Former Employee) –  North East30 November 2017
I received first class training to help me progress into a new role within the company. Job security is good. People are friendly and the facilities are excellent.
Pros
Excellent salary
Cons
range of food on menu
ok place to work
Telesales executive (Former Employee) –  Gosforth, Tyne and Wear11 September 2017
this was a long time ago very few memories of this company. i have some fond memories of this place however suspect it will have changed since i left.
If you want a challenge, aren't lazy..this place will make you
Sales Executive (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear6 September 2017
Sage is great, but don't join if you want an easy ride. If you love to be challenged, want to develop your career, learn from awesome colleagues then Sage is for you. If you want an easy life, laid back and are, lets face it, a bit lazy then forget it...you'll hate it.

Delighted two of my colleagues are nominated for platinum elite - if they do it, an all expenses amazing holiday in Mexico with their partners...awesome!
Pros
I love it, my colleagues are awesome...they, and I, give everything and the rewards are jut great. Buy leave, buy shares, loads of discounts from companies, good holiday, childcare vouchers, health benefits - and so much.
Cons
Don't hire wasters - they makes Sage look rubish
Awful place to work
Technical Support Advisor (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne26 August 2017
The company don't care about their staff in the slightest. They don't give sufficient training anymore like they used to, new entrants to the jobs are often thrown in at the deep end and nowadays most don't make it as they aren't given any support. There is a generally negative mood throughout the whole company, really not a nice place to work.
Pros
Pays relatively well
Cons
No support from managers
Great for new starters
Developer (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester2 August 2017
I found that the team ethos was really motivating, however, there is an expectation gap that was hard to meet based on a lack of training and development from going beyond a junior role. Whereas there are lots of projects going on and new technologies are embraced, it is unfortunately based on your own initiatives, rather than being given the time to dedicate to upskilling and learning from mentors. Part of the problem is that many projects had an ambitious start and good intentions but as deadlines approached, we lost the focus on producing clean code and being able to adhere to agreed coding standards.
Pros
pension benefits
Cons
expected overtime
Started off great, but gradually got worse. (Everyone's a sales rep.)
Payroll Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear6 May 2017
Worked at Sage for just over two years, and for the first 18 month I'd say everything was fantastic. Thoroughly enjoyed my role as a Payroll Specialist supporting the customers as you gain a fantastic insight and knowledge base for the field, along with developing your customer service skills.

However, recent changes state that near enough everyone in the business who's customer facing must achieve some form of sales target and revenue, which you are statistically tracked upon. (If this target is not achieved, can lead to PIP's and disciplinary, even if your primary role is technical / software support and was NEVER stated in the original contract.)

Management are a mixed bag, with only some who genuinely seem to care and invest a lot of time to help you develop and progress through the company. However, many others only seem interested in making sure you're ticking the boxes so the company makes their revenue, rather than making sure their workers are happy and able to provide the best service possible, whilst developing their own careers.

Best way to summarise.. No matter what you're doing, expect it to be sales driven.. If you enjoy an 'americanized' environment, then go for it. You will however, only be a small, replaceable cog in a rather large machine.
Pros
Variety of benefits (computer loan / cycle to work scheme), on-site gym at Newcastle, great coffee shop.
Cons
Everything is sales driven, stupidly high performance culture, some management love themselves and no-one else.
Learning & Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear18 April 2017
Working at Sage UK Limited (A FTSE 100 company- based in the North East) offers you a great work life balance, brilliant colleagues & team mates and a good organisation to work for.
Pros
Employee Benefits & Work Life Balance
Cons
Moving toward a global rather than regional culture
If you subscribe to the 80/20 rule, Sage is a good place to be. I genuinely enjoyed working here 80% of the time.
Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear24 March 2017
They expect a lot, and to progress you have to either be very good at playing the game, or avoiding the politics, but it's probably no different in any big organisation like Sage.
Supportive
SAGE 50 PAYROLL SPECIALIST / SAGE UK LTD (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear27 February 2017
Sage are very supportive and it is a positive environment in which to work. The management ar very supportive and help you through any personal or professional challenges.
Analyst
analyst (Former Employee) –  manchester20 February 2017
Worked in Manchester branch
Young vibrant team always willing to help you
However, management needs to take a figure out of their own backside - to many work politics and not enough real input
Pressurised sales environment, too many changes, management can't keep up
Sales Executive (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Weare6 February 2017
Money is good, they are flexible on hours if you have good reason. Family friendly.
Sales is very pressurised with high targets.
Tech is stressful as the high call volume for technical issues.
Enjoyed it
Technician (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear30 January 2017
Friendly atmosphere and great premises

Management are friendly and approachable

very hard work but full training provided

room to progress if determined
Fast paced and professional
Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne30 January 2017
Sage was a great place to work, and treats its people well. They gave me training for the position when I started and that carries on through when you start doing the job fully. They love to get their staff onto new things, I ended up starting an accountancy qualification through them.
Pros
great place to work
Cons
Can feel like the days drag on
Secure job but not as perfect as they make it out to be
Customer Advisor (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne17 January 2017
Sage is one of the largest employers in the North East of England and they are based at Great Park, near Gosforth just off the A1 motorway. Very easy to get to and parking adequate, apart from if you arrive after most people have started and you will find it difficult to get parked. Massive queues of traffic at 5pm when everyone leaves.

The environment at Sage is very pleasant. The building is modern, clean and inviting. Plenty of facilities on site including a canteen, shops, gym and many social activities.

The problem with Sage is that they have now turned into a typical call centre. Everything revolves around stats - how long you're on the phone for, how long you place a customer on hold, how long it takes you to type up your notes after a call has finished. Every call and every customer is different, in most cases, so having this strict method of working does nothing for employees.

There are opportunities for progression at Sage, however often it is a case of who you know rather than what you know. You may find that you are never able to climb the corporate ladder and just keep moving sideways from department to department until you get sick and move elsewhere. Secondments are a common thing as this means they don't have to pay you the full wage if the job was actually yours.

These jobs have a shelf life. Sage is no longer really difficult to get into so if you're looking for urgent work and have the right attitude and experience you will probably be successful in finding employment there.
Pros
Modern building, good working hours (weekends are normally not worked), plenty of onsite facilities
Cons
Management continually changing, old ideas recycled as new, poor progression chances

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sage. Our community is ready to answer.