Safe Haven Accommodation

Safe Haven Accommodation Employee Reviews

United Kingdom14 reviews
Staff are last on the list
Management systems are outdated, laptops are old bricks that don’t have basic software included so often take my own laptop to work. Sleeps are a joke, you are mainly woken and if you want to earn a decent wage you have to work long block shifts. Expenses are expected to be paid up front and paid back monthly. Much more can be done for job satisfaction. Greedy bosses make most worker have zero hours contracts even though there are plenty of hours available and could give most staff at least a 25hr basic contract to help with job security.
Pros
You can earn big if you work long 50+ hr weeks
Cons
Long hours, lack of job security, zero he contract.
unproductive
You were left on your own, however, if something goes wrong, staff will take the blame. poor work ethic and culture, it is more like a soap opera than a workplace.
Good semi independent company
I have worked for SHA for the past 5 months I have had my ups and downs. It has been the most well paid semi independent job that I have had and they pay you very well for sleeps. Accommodations (in Bristol) are normally of good standard and 9/10 placements will have internet for work and personal use. The equipment is not great and lack of modern laptops, work phones and even some Basic kitchen pieces such as bowls and baking trays can be quite taxing. Management can be quite harsh but they are also transparent and you know where you stand. If you are able to commit to doing a lot of hours you can make some good money but this will cost you most of your social life.
Pros
Helping challenging young people, excellent sleep rate
Cons
Little work life balance, basic resources, zero hour contracts
Challenging but here to make a difference
I have worked for Safehaven as a key worker for just under a year now. I choose to work with challenging young people as I can often relate to their struggles and I want to make a difference in their lives.

Since my arrival - I have been made to feel welcome and valued as a member of the team. I started off on a zero hours contract and made a respectable amount of money if I worked many days on end. I then got a contract of 2 days on and 4 days off. (8am-22:00 + 10 hour sleep) The year salary is respectable but I believe we should be paid more by the hour. The fact I have to work two weekends a month is a negative but I believe if you are young, single with hardly any commitments; a job like this is perfect in order to save and do what you need to do.
Pros
You can pick up extra shifts, swap shifts, paid to sleep, rewarding, helping young people
Cons
Basically minimum wage, Agency staff, Long hours, contract requires you to work weekends
Valued and Supported whilst you work for Safe Haven
I have been working for Safe Haven Accommodation for nearly a year now and so pleased with how valued you feel and supported from the Directors are too.

You are totally valued and respected also.

Safe Haven care so much about the young people they care for and are really driven to deliver a great level of support for our young people.

There is great morale between all the staff and we all work well together and team work is very much promoted at Safe Haven also.

The culture is very good also and we are all encouraged to work together as a team.

The Management of the company are very "hands on" and offer you all the support you need to do your work in a safe and timely manner.

I would highly recommend people to come and work at Safe Haven, where you can come to work and you are given all the tools/ training to get your work done and supported every step of the way also.

Caring for all our young people is also highly promoted throughout Safe Haven and everyone is given inductions and training to enable them to support our young people to the high standards that Safe Haven set.

There is an open culture where staff members are encouraged to speak out and a strong system in place to deal with this also.

If you want a position in your careers path and wish to work where you can be happy, valued and supported then I could not recommend working for Safe Haven highly enough.
Rewarding, upbeat and friendly company
Very supportive working environment and this is a company that really cares about the young people it seeks to support.

The quality of the staff working directly for Safe Haven has got better and better.

Shift availability is really good. If you take on a zero hours contract you are in control of the amount of hours you work, giving you the freedom and flexibility to work full time, part time or occassional hours, providing there is availability with the young people, which there always seems to be. You can earn great money as a Key Worker here if you like working a lot, and good money can easily be made by working sleep in shifts.

The focus is improving the independence and well-being of young people and that is a very rewarding thing to be part of.
Pros
Shift availability, support, rewarding, young-person focused
Cons
Pay
Great place to Work
I worked in a small location and overall my experience was extremely good. I was a full time staff member. HR were excellent and attentive from start to finish, as was my team leader. It really is a job that can be rewarding if you're willing to put the work in and accept the shift pattern (usually 2 days working and 4 days off). I only worked with a couple of young people and found all the support I needed from my TL. It takes alot of initiative to get going with a young person. My colleagues in general were very good to work with, so long as they remain professional you won't have any issues. The job isn't easy - it takes someone who is proactive, flexible and enthusiastic. If you're not one of those things, I think you might find it a challenge.
Pros
Potential to earn good money.
Cons
Long shift patterns.
Challenging but rewarding work
Great opportunities for learning/training, advancement and promotions.
Great team to work in & communication from all departments is excellent. I was supported through an NVQ which led to a promotion. I have learnt a lot working for SafeHaven.
Pros
Opportunites for personal growth.
Loving my job!
Working with looked after children is both interesting and challenging.

While working as SHA I have felt supported and encouraged by both management and colleagues.

The hours are unsociable and I found I was working over 100 hours week on occasion when on a zero hours contract but have since been offered a permanent contract of 2 days on 4 days off which is much more managable, and I still have the option of working more hours if needed.

The downside is that the pay per hour is minimal and advancement is limited.
Pros
Supportive team leaders, interesting job, great colleagues
Cons
Pay, advancement
Terrible experience, massive safe guarding risks.
I worked for safe haven via an agency. Very concerning conduct. I was given just an initial and a code to enter the home prior to my shift starting. No care plans. No meeting prior. No ID checks. Nothing.

This company placed both myself and a vulnerable young person in potential danger.

Do NOT work for this company if you understand safeguarding and professional responsibility. Avoid at all costs.
Pros
At least they pay you.
Cons
Literally everything.
Long unsocialable hours
Greedy management.
Long hours.

Expected to pay up front for activities

Zero hour contacts, no job security.

Out of date and bargain buy equipment.

Accommodation room for improvements.
Pros
Working with young people
Cons
Long unsocialable hours
Terrible managment
Worked at one of the house supported a young person there was no organisation no sleep so end up doing wake ins but being paid for sleep in. Expected to pay for day trips and things with your own money! Could easily be a nice place to work but the managment have no clue this is why they still do not have a permanent pwrson in this role.
Pros
Working wiyh young people in need of support
Cons
Greedy money hungry manager
Exciting, challenging
Currently a key worker with safe Haven Accomodation.
Key worker role involves a lot of responsibility which is good as it provides great opportunities to build on leadership skills.
worklife balance
this is tough job that empowers young people. the focus is not on the balance of staff. there could be more to be done interm of job satisfaction and security
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Safe Haven Accommodation. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9