Ryman Stationery Employee Reviews

A good team network
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Hampshire2 October 2019
My typical day is customer service, helping, knowledge of products. Maintenance of the shop area and staff. Training and re-training with replenishing stock, cleaning shelves, new prices, new promotion in the windows, maintaining head office deals...telephone calls, DHL, money transfers and so much more.....
Pros
discount on products
Cons
lots of lifting
Only good if your team are good
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Maidenhead23 September 2019
As my first proper part-time job, I had little idea of what to expect. The team at my branch were all absolutely lovely, and I thoroughly enjoyed working with all my co-workers who made the job bearable. However, the shop itself would be quite dull and boring and I’d often find myself walking round the shop before checking the till for the time.

The pay for 16/17 year olds is also one of the worst I’ve seen by a company- £5.04 per hour (I can’t comment on other age groups, but I know its still only just above minimum wage for them).

To conclude, you need a good team to work with to make it a bearable experience.
Pros
Good team, good discount on school supplies/electronics
Cons
Boring
positve and collaborative
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fleet, Hampshire23 September 2019
Ryman's is a great company to be apart of , although pay is low the environment and opportunities outweigh it , overtime is almost always available especially across holiday periods
Typical retail job
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lancashire19 August 2019
Typical day includes sales on the retail shop floor serving customers and answering queries and stock management on the shop floor and in the stock room.
Pros
shift work
Cons
Targets, targets, money money.
Senior Sales Assistant/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Cambridge18 August 2019
All that this company wants is money, not equity for all, if not making millions of pounds, your considered lazy. Management are disgusting- language skills, speaks down to you.
Pros
Cons
Long days, poor pay.
It was great overall
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Holborn, Greater London30 July 2019
It was a bit tiring working long hours I’m the beginning but I got used to it, the other employees were very nice and welcoming and you get used to the place very fast.
Can't fault it
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Worksop10 July 2019
Manager wasn't very nice, but she got the job done, and the place was always running smoothly.
Boring and nothing to do
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Epsom, Surrey1 April 2019
Having worked here for just under 6 months, I have experience alto from my first job in retail. Having just completed my GCSE's prior to this job, I was looking to start work and earn some money. Unfortunately, I found many of friends on much higher wages and enjoying their jobs far more.

Throughout my time, I often found myself looking out the window or just trying to occupy myself. The days felt long, and tiring even though I wasn't doing anything, it was that boring.

My manager, was very friendly and nice. However, the deputy store manager, was not. She would often tell me long stories in which I had little interest, or would simply just waffle. I found it hard to make interesting conversation with her.

This job could be very enjoyable, for someone sociable and outgoing if there other staff members are able to reciprocate that same energy. If not, it could be found as boring. Being a stationary shop, its not all that interesting, neither do many people visit.
Pros
30% Staff Discount, Friendly Manager
Cons
Boring, Little to do
Fun and hard working place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carlisle, Cumbria28 February 2019
I worked for Ryman for almost 5 years and would of been a lot longer if we weren’t evicted by the greedy landlords of the shopping centre. During my 5 years I was just a sales Assistant and I was treat like an equal to everyone there and the management was always kind, friendly, fun and great at building my retail skills. If anyone has the chance to be here I would take it.
Pros
Friendly staff, great management and fun workplace.
Cons
Enjoyable Job for the most part
MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Hertfordshire13 February 2019
Decent company to work for, career progression is possible and training is good.
Pay is slightly above average.
Hours are Retail so be prepared to work weekends.
Area Management on the whole not great, with some exceptions. Bullying tactics and no real people skills.
Shame as without this I would have stayed for a lot longer.
Pros
Staff and discount
Cons
Area Management, Retail Hours
Great place to work however extremely quiet at certain times of the year
Senior Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Sunderland, Tyne and Wear11 January 2019
Hardest part of the job creating sales throughout quiet months.
Most enjoyable part of the job working in customer service role and gaining high sales.
Get to meet different people
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London18 December 2018
I really enjoyed the working environment and meeting people all the time but the hardest part of the job was checking deliveries and carrying big boxes upstairs.
Pros
Travel cost was paid
Cons
Long journey
Stationary progress
Sunday assistant (Former Employee) –  Macclesfield Town3 December 2018
The Manager at Macclesfield has zero people skills. I wonder if this is why they have turned over 4 weekend staff in 3 months. Putting people down and belittling them seems to be a thing there.
I think thd
Most important thing to them is forcing the staff to ask if a customer also wants to buy an array of merchandise displayed at the till point, clearly more important than anything else.
Hide your time and find a job where you’re valued. Ryman’s would be wise to follow Bransons mantra!!!!
Pros
Nobe
Cons
Attitude
ok
supervisor (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London5 November 2018
Gives good opportunities for people without much work experience.Good chance of promotion if you have common sense.
Salary could be better especially in management.
Pros
hours
Cons
salary
Started off as a positive...
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham21 September 2018
When I first interviewed for the role, the company seemed great to work for with good prospects for progression, however, soon after starting, it quickly came to light that this wasn’t the case as such.

The induction process is very detailed and covers all aspects within a retail role from sales skills to operations and legal compliance. If you’re employed into management, you complete two modules and this again, covers all aspects but up to a management level. It’s great if you’ve never worked in a retail management position before, but as I’ve been in that sector for a few years now, I found it easy and no challenge.

Worked within a number of stores and with the different trading formats, they were all different experiences. I’ve worked in fast-paced city centre stores, high street stores and uni store.

Store team were great to work with although 50% of the team were students who had no real passion for the business. Store Manager was ok to work with; didn’t feel like I had much support during my induction as he was keen to support other stores and the training of other colleagues within the region and as a result this led to the breakdown of a positive working relationship with him.

Would I apply to work for Ryman again? No, but I’ll take some of the experience learnt with me to my new employer.
Pros
1hr 40 Lunch Break if working a full day!
Cons
Hours, Pay, Progression.
Fun place to work, relaxed atmosphere
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands3 September 2018
I really enjoyed my time working here, the management was great, always there to help you out! Would change days off to accommodate where needed, very fair work place and lots of potential to advance!
Pros
Good staff discount
Cons
City Centre, is usually very busy.
Okay for young people
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Luton15 August 2018
Good place to work. Cant really comment on now as i was there years before. Management was tough on small things though. But overall wasnt a bad experience.
Pros
good people
Cons
tough management for what it is
Always something new
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southend10 August 2018
Always something new going on everyday as have new customers all the time, manager isn’t the best to work for she doesn’t have a clue what she’s doing or what she’s done but over all not a bad place to work
Fun, familiar workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury/Worcester8 July 2018
As it is such a small company, the workers become similar to a family. The discount is great (30%) however for younger workers the wage is not brilliant.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Short hours, small wage
Most enjoyable retail experience I've ever had.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Cheshire29 June 2018
I work as a supervisor part time. My role involves key-holder responsibilities, encouraging my team members to keep up with newsletter and business card sign-ups, add-on and hot product sales so that we meet targets and KPI, dealing with refunds, ensuring customer satisfaction by providing excellent customer service, stock replenishment, answering phone calls, Western Union and DHL service point duties, and making sure the shop floor and stock room are clean and tidy.

The role also includes setting up displays, banners and new point of sale price tickets for new promotional events in store, as well as administrative work including cashing up at night, doing the banking, sales spreadsheets, stock counts, accepting stock deliveries, inter-branch stock transfers etc.

Training is very thorough when you are taken on and while some people would describe it as a "snorefest", I found it helpful and a fantastic introduction to the company and what was expected of me in my role. Health and safety training is reviewed every month to keep it fresh in people's heads.

There is a very strong emphasis on customer service in this company which I really love. The staff go out of their way to help people and the feedback we get from customers is very encouraging. Great motivation for meeting sales targets too as they run frequent nationwide and regionwide competitions with rewards for the shops that do best.

Awesome colleagues and really lovely members of management. The best people I've ever worked with. Good bonuses and incentives with the company too especially if you work in one
  more... of the busier stores.

Hours worked each week fluctuate like crazy which is a big pain- some weeks I'd be working my normal part time hours but other weeks I'd be working 37 hours! Sometimes I wonder if there's any point to my contract being part time! Expect to frequently have to do overtime. But that happens everywhere in retail especially if you're part time and not a student. Not really anyone's fault.

Also it goes crazy in summer because of back to school, so expect to be doing a lot of overtime during the summer months, and it gets rather busy around Xmas too though not as bad as the summer.

They open earlier and close later than most other stores on the high street and you have to get there at least 15 minutes before opening to count the floats as well as 30-45 mins cashing up and doing admin work at night, so be prepared for long 10hr days occasionally if you're in a supervisor role. Usually you're on a staggered shift though so this only very rarely happens. Store is open 8.30am-6pm at least where I work (it's longer hours for other some branches I believe depending on where you're based)

Breaks are 30mins long if you work more than 5hrs, 15mins long if you work less than 5hrs, but increase to 1hr if you're working a full day.

Good opportunities for working your way up in the company from what I have seen.

If you enjoy retail and like stationary you're in the right place!
Pros
thorough training, lovely colleagues, fun work environment, if you love stationary you will thrive, Good incentives.
Cons
So much overtime!, Pay is a little lower than supervisor roles in other companies, Area manager is a rather intimidating person but thankfully you don't see them often!