Ryman Stationery

Ryman Stationery Employee Reviews

United Kingdom88 reviews
Overall a decent job to start with as part-timer. Pays on time and it is a stable job. However, they have been hiring outside the company which means less experienced management.
Pros
3 breaks, really friendly members good culture
Cons
Management and some staff members not knowing what they need to do or not well trained.
enjoyed the job. Loved the team. Any problems HR was onit asap.
Gutted my store closed.

I was very happy in my job.

As a single mum it worked perfect for me around the kids and the management were very understanding if for any reason my shifts needed to be changed.

Overall a fantastic experience and I would most certainly work for them again.
Pros
Can't help staff out enough
Cons
Uniform
DO NOT WORK HERE. Pay £5.03 an hour and bad working conditions. Training is so long and need a lot of product knowledge. Store is really empty nothing to do
Pros
Good communication
Cons
Bad pay, bad conditions, product knowledge
A main day consists of customer service, restocking, tidying and cleaning. The team I work with are great. There is alot of progression to be made if that's what you want.
Pros
Benefits as well as a sense of fulfillment.
Cons
Don't know of any.
Never a dull moment as a variety of services are available as well as the usual sales of stationary, always something to do the shift flies by, decent management, and standards ,opportunities for advancement
As a former supervisor I would never recommend working here to anyone. Pay is bad for the work you do, area managers and store managers are bullies and they try to get you fired over lies. I witnessed a manager lie about and bully a depty manager until they were told they should leave or be fired. Utterly disgusting work ethic, they do not care.
Pros
Cons
Working there.
I have been at rymans for 22 years and in that time I have worked at four different branches and got to no the customers very well I also do refunds and exchanges and students binding and photocopying and printing for customers
As a Store Manager bringing the team together was most important to me and that resulted in the store building a great reputation within the community and customer loyalty which in turn increased sales . I loved my time at Ryman and would still be there if it was closer to home .
just keep your head down
I enjoyed it but I had other issues around my work but you have to eat sleep and drink Ryman to progress in the company or even to be treated with respect by other more senior members of staff
Typical of what is expected from a Retail Employment. You have to learn many services such as DHL, Western union, Copying & binding. Higher management are very concerned with Targets, which can be stressful. Culture is very good, make money whilst having fun. there are benefits such as a generous staff discount and you earn bonus if you hit target. I worked with many fabulous colleagues over the years which is what makes the job really. Most enjoyable part of the job is it is very customer service focused so you have to talk to and interact with every customer who comes in the door. Nothing about the job is particularly hard to be honest, sometimes customer complaints can be stressful.
Pros
generous staff discount. bonus if targets are met
Cons
not a lot of room for growth within the company
Managment havent a ie they throw any old.person in there management they have no clue how run a bath let ome a call centre high expectations with veryittle incentive
I worked for Rymans for many many years and I would have to say the last 5 years the company has been going downhill. Lack of organisation, they don’t listen, and can treat you like dirt. They are bullies don’t work for them.
Also the amount they expect you learn is ridiculous
I felt bullied by the staff the never made me feel welcome worse company I have worked tho really needs to go though this company and sort it out I feel it could be something better but it’s not
a lot more data entry with DHL and western union ,along with 2 tills on one counter , breaks are erratic and customer's rude when never enough stsff
The hardest part of this job would be dealing with a difficult customer, however this company was a pleasure to work with, I thoroughly enjoyed it my time there.
The managers are absolute bullies, would write you up for any little thing, would just sit in the office and make what little shop floor staff they had do all the work. When there was only 2 of us on a sunday I would be the only one on the shop floor for the whole time except lunch (which I wasnt allowed to leave the store for). Managers frequently stole from stole cash and blamed others for it, and abused staff without consequence. Only good thing was the staff discount but half the stuff was still cheaper elsewhere
A typical day incolves being helpful and friendly to customers. Helping to unpack delivery and stock. As well as this you have to use the till throughout the day and help to maintain the tidiness of the shop.

The management are really good, they are very friendly, understanding and helpful.

The most enjyable part of the job, is helping customers to find what they are looking for and to talk about the products with them.
My typical day is customer service, helping, knowledge of products. Maintenance of the shop area and staff. Training and re-training with replenishing stock, cleaning shelves, new prices, new promotion in the windows, maintaining head office deals...telephone calls, DHL, money transfers and so much more.....
Pros
discount on products
Cons
lots of lifting
As my first proper part-time job, I had little idea of what to expect. The team at my branch were all absolutely lovely, and I thoroughly enjoyed working with all my co-workers who made the job bearable. However, the shop itself would be quite dull and boring and I’d often find myself walking round the shop before checking the till for the time.

The pay for 16/17 year olds is also one of the worst I’ve seen by a company- £5.04 per hour (I can’t comment on other age groups, but I know its still only just above minimum wage for them).

To conclude, you need a good team to work with to make it a bearable experience.
Pros
Good team, good discount on school supplies/electronics
Cons
Boring
Ryman's is a great company to be apart of , although pay is low the environment and opportunities outweigh it , overtime is almost always available especially across holiday periods
Typical day includes sales on the retail shop floor serving customers and answering queries and stock management on the shop floor and in the stock room.
Pros
shift work