Ruthin Castle Hotel

Ruthin Castle Hotel Employee Reviews

United Kingdom7 reviews
Absolutely awful, terrible managers no training n breaks. You never leave on time. Guests are constantly complaining rightly so and it gets embarrassing. You leave feeling totally drained and depressed. All staff moan about how bad the place is run.
Cons
To all looking for a job- avoid this place at all costs. Breaks non existent yet still taken out of your pay, ridiculously long hours whether you like it or not and are expected to pick up any workload that doesn’t even fall into your job spec. Used to be a nice place to work until new management came in- all they care about is the money the place brings in. You are worked to the ground until you are physically knackered and they don’t even thank you for it.
Pros
Nice coworkers
Cons
Everything else
Ruthin Castle was an enjoyable place to work until it was sold last year. The morale immediately dropped when new management took over resulting in staff leaving. If your face fits then management will love you regardless of how hard you work. If it doesn’t, I’m afraid you’re in for a tough ride! They advertise staff discount or free food, but I have never seen this you don’t even get a break, let alone have the time to enjoy some free food as a little perk!
Pros
You’ll make good friends
Cons
Management don’t care or listen, no breaks.
Very difficult place to work. Staff are very competitive and think that if they put you down they will look good. Min wage and treated as you are nothing. Line manager is often stressed which breeds a culture of stress and paranoia.
I worked at Ruthin Castle hotel for 5 to 6 months at the start it seemed that everybody was scrambling for their lives when it came to recruiting, after say the second month in, everything got really unorganised, like the rota et cetera. I personally wouldn’t work there again in the same capacity as I did however I would recommend it to somebody who is looking for a first job. The staff there are friendly.
Management is extremely poor and show no regard to their staff and well being. Some staff are very friendly and make the working environment bearable, however the management team and poor HR make working conditions very difficult. Breaks were never taken and very long and unsocial hours, beyond job description. Breaks were not easily taken during shifts as staffing levels were incredibly low and poor. Wages were rarely correct. Low wages and no professional development prospects.
Pros
Friendly floor staff
Cons
Long hours, no breaks, low wages
I overall enjoyed my time working in the castle, as I did meet new people and gained valuable experience. It is a beautiful place to work in, but sometimes was very disorganized, especially when it came to doing functions. There are two shifts in a days work, breakfast, dinner and lunch on a Sunday. Working as a waitress definitely improved on my customer service skills and introduced me to the hospitality industry. I wouldn't say it was my favourite work place to be in, and if I was to work in hospitality again I would work in a nice café or a 'gastropub'. My favourite part when working at the castle was the customer service, and receieving compliemts about the food and the service by guests and customers. The staff at Ruthin castle definately made me feel alot settled and helped me along the way, and shall definately remain friends outside work.
Pros
Free staff meals, staff discounts for the Spa, great people to work with
Cons
disorganized most of the time, under staff on some shifts.