Rural Payments Agency Employee Reviews

Weird wor
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear9 July 2019
Be very careful before you accept a position. It really depends on who your team leader is. Mine just ignored me, very haughty indeed and lacks basic people skills. "colleagues" don't talk to you, simply come in do a job and go home without even having any conversations.. civil service behaviours apply as and when it suits.
Loads of meetings but you are never told what is going on.
Very productive work place
Administration Officer (Former Employee) –  Exeter9 October 2018
An interesting department of the Government to work for. Worked as part of a team meeting daily targets. Very kind workplace. Computer orientated environment with various databases being used. One hour break daily, with the hardest part of the job being establishing and fulfilling daily payment criteria for company customers.
Pros
Good proactive atmosphere
Cons
Very computer orientated
Great place to work if you have a good manager
Executive Officer (Former Employee) –  Northallerton, North Yorkshire17 August 2018
Great place to work if you have a good manager. Excellent working hours and plenty of time off always available. I personally experienced some issues with some staff but that was me. Over all a really good place to work.
Pros
Working conditions
Cons
Some of the employees
Data entry
Data Entry (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire22 June 2018
Investigating the submitted paperwork and/or online information and adjusting it on the companies system with the correct land codes and figures. Some cases were quick and easy to deal with, but more often than not, very complex and difficult to work through, and all the time trying to follow a very unclear guide.
To ask as many questions as possible to your colleagues or help them through their questions.
Management were out of the picture as they do not really know what work anyone were involved in, and how to help if any problem arose,
The hardest part was trying to follow the very confusing guides as they are very wordy, and the people who write them are trying to mix old English words in the same paragraph as new words, very very unclear guides.
The best part was the people as they were all very helpful, friendly and just great to be with and work with.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Bullying culture tolerated
Administrator (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom31 May 2018
Typical public sector employment. No pay progression currently. Management appear to be above “the law”, a bullying culture is tolerated and rather than dismiss an individual or effectively manage an issue they will move the “victim”
Pros
Flexi
Cons
Poor management
Sub Agency of DEFRA UK
EO Training/Processing Manager (Former Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire, UK23 August 2017
RPA is a sub Agency of DEFRA UK, which deals with farmers, their compliance, and subsidiaries given to them on account of EU regulations. The working environment is great as i learnt a lot there and groomed myself.
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Northallerton, North Yorkshire10 August 2017
Worked there for 12 years, had the usual ups and downs, but mostly enjoyable company to work for.
Very good welfare programme.
Excellent environment to work in.
Computers need updating more regular.
Pros
Pay, flexible working
Cons
Back stabbing
work life balance
E2E Test Manager (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne20 July 2017
This position gave me the ideal flexibility I needed when the children were young with flexible working hours.

However the company relocated to Reading therefore I was made redundant
Pros
flexability
Cons
relocation
Fun place to work and learn
Administration Officer (Former Employee) –  Reading11 July 2017
Maintain a complex database of all contractors and analysing the various spend areas associated with them, including YTD costs, expenses, accruals, cost centres and daily rates.
Worthwhile work as a Civil Servant
Civil Servant (Former Employee) –  Exeter, UK2 June 2017
Varied work dealing with different aspects of administering payments from EU to UK farming community. Enjoyable employment with a sense of performing a public service
Poor senior leadership
Manager (Former Employee) –  Exeter, Devon13 April 2017
There is poor senior leadership within RPA.

There is little direction and it is frustrating in trying to second guess what is required from you within your role.
There is little or no empowerment in management roles and all decisions, however simple are required to go through a convoluted governance structure which is time consuming.

The CEO has recently left so this may bring about a change.
Pros
flexible working
Cons
Poor leadership
Very flexible environment, good work life balance
Treasury Accountant (Current Employee) –  Reading21 November 2016
A good place to work when you are training, and If you need a good work life balance. Very friendly place, but people do not like to go out for office gatherings.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
No financial rewards for high performers
Contractor
Senior GIS Technician/Tech (Current Employee) –  Reading14 November 2016
Very satisfactory experience. I get a large experience here and I had the chance to work with very professional Managers and team members.
It is a flexible job and allow you to get an experience in order to match the different deadline.
Excellent
Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Northallerton22 October 2016
Whilst working here, I gained vast experience with the team I worked with.
When I took Ill in 2012 my managers were fantastic with me, helping me in every way possible.
The team were fantastic and all pulled together to hit deadlines. The hardest part of the job was trying to help severely depressed farming community.
Most enjoyable was receiving recognition for a lot of hard work.
Pros
Flexi time
Cons
Communication
Administrative Officer (Current Employee) –  Workington22 August 2016
Brilliant Place to work but unfortunately employed as agency staff which means I'm employed on a short term basis. See different jobs day to day which kept me on my feet.
Pros
Overtime
Cons
Contract
Big Company
Administrative Officer (Current Employee) –  York14 July 2016
The hardest part of this job is the amount of travelling that I have to carry out every day in order to get to and from the office. In the last few months I have had the opportunity to learn the MS DAX system that is used to show finance information, used the Citrex system and the Siti system that allows our applicants to submit their claim forms, track their information. The most enjoyable aspect of my job is the people that I work with. We all work as a team through the good times and the bad and have the opportunity to learn different areas of the company.
Pros
Good Friends, Flexiable working
Cons
Long hours travelling
Ok, hectic
Senior Spatial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Reading17 June 2016
Data Analysis,
Fact Finding,
MI Production,
good training offered,
working with others
Good co-workers
Not always being told what was wanted in enough detail
Flexible and resourceful management and staff.
Team Member (AO) (Former Employee) –  Carlisle20 April 2016
The work was varied and interesting with new learning being part of the job. It exercised and expanded my skill set. Management were fair and considerate and the staff very supportive and pleasant to work with.
Productive but stressful
Bps claims processor (Current Employee) –  Carlisle25 March 2016
This was a three month temporary position which lasted 8 month in total.
The work was enjoyable but also produced problems for staff as a new system was in place for the farmers Basic Payment Scheme which in its self created problems
Friendly and Helpful Staff
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Workington24 March 2016
I loved going to work here, friendly staff, great atmosphere and no question was too silly.

The training was great

Management were helpful

co-workers brilliant

hardest part of the job was remembering the different aspects of all the jobs

My team they were fantastic