RSPCA Employee Reviews

An enjoyable, fun, lively atmosphere.
Retail Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bletchley3 October 2018
I really enjoy working here and being part of the team. I really enjoy talking to customers and helping them to find what they want in the shop. I feel as though I am doing something that is worth doing and even though I struggle sometimes with the shift, (due to back problems) it is still a fun and friendly work environment. Sometimes the manager makes me a sandwich at lunchtime and I also get help with anything I need to know. It is a relaxed and enjoyable job and it benefits me to know that I am doing something that helps the community.
Pros
Free Lunches and some free things...!
Cons
A lot of standing up sometimes which I struggle with.
Not what I expected
Hospital Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London1 July 2018
A typical day would depend on how many staff turn up for work and of those that do how many want to do any work. Although there was a lot to learn in the early days, advancement is affected by only a few being able to study Veterinary Nursing. The selection for Veterinary Nurse training is unfair and doesn't take account of those that work hard to achieve it, it is first come first served. Management is a joke and needs serious review. There is no respect for management and the lack of respect seems to part of the working culture. The hardest part of the job is accepting how cut throat the decision making is in regards to those animals given a chance and those not. This decision is usually made by a select few and therefore carries their views and beliefs.
Pros
Being able to make some difference to animals lives
Cons
The difference you can make has many limitations
A friendly place to work.
Volunteer Worker (Current Employee) –  Rochdale2 August 2018
I work in a good working environment, Managers are appreciative, I enjoy the work i do, as it gives me new skills, & work experience. but i get no salary. as it is voluntary work, Hence i am looking for new position. in sales or retail.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
No salary
Lovely to learn key skills
Store Assistant/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Shirley18 May 2018
The RSPCA was a great place to work at it helped me see how the charity raises money and all the good it does for animals. And they taught me lots of key skills for retail.
Pros
Great managers
Excellent Non-Profit Organisation
Animal Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex1 August 2018
Typical day at work included animal husbandry tasks i.e. temperature and humidity checks, feeding, cleaning, spraying and medical treatments.

I learned a great deal about practical animal husbandry skills as well as reptile welfare and the problems facing reptiles in the exotic pet trade.

The management were great teachers, down to earth and very easy to get on with.

The workplace culture was relaxed and fun at the same time as being professional and hard working.

The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing the improvements in newly rescued reptiles over the course of their rehabilitation at the centre.
Avoid working at HQ
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Horsham, West Sussex3 December 2018
Worst culture I have ever encountered in my career. They lose millions due to incompetent business practices, managers have no training nor ability to lead and openly admit to targeting demographics and utilising shameful strategies to fund expensive contractors and clueless managers. It doesn't feel like a charity, it feels like a poor excuse for a poorly run business.
Horrible place to volunteer for
Volunteer Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hereford10 October 2018
After working there for a year and a half the management at the Herefordshire branch of the RSPCA charity shop really went downhill. When I first started, the management was very cheerful and willing to help with any and all issues I came across as a new staff member. However, as time went on, the management I started with resigned and was replaced by a younger and harsher manager. One evening after the last customer had left and we were closing up for the night, I was texting my mother to ask for a lift home in the pouring rain, not wanting to get wet and end up with a cold the next day and not be able to work that shift, the second I had sent that text, the manager, stuck her head out of the office door and yelled at me from across the room to get off my phone and would not listen to my reasons or even allow me to go into a back room to cal my mother for all of 2 minutes. We had rain like that previously when the original managers were still working and as long as there were no customers in the store, they allowed me to contact my mother for a lift, no hassle. It was absolutely appalling, do not wish to work there again even as a paid employee.
Cons
Bad Management
Helped develope my social skills
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Sandown, Isle of Wight31 October 2018
Working at an RSPCA charity shop felt very rewarding, the individual who managed the shop was very supportive so I felt more confident in what I was doing, At first my jobs were to clean, unbox and place new donations on shelves and sort out the size tags for the clothing. there was always something to do to keep my mind occupied. After a few weeks I began working on the till, I was anxious about using the till and interacting with customers as my social skills weren't that great, but after a while I felt comfortable with the situation.
Pros
Flexible hours
fun workplace
Volunteer Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Warminster, Wiltshire16 August 2018
they are really nice and kind to people and i get on with them so will and they are fun top work with but some people i dont like in there as they tell you what to do when they are not the manger.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
heavy lifting and out and about most of the time
donation collecter volunteer (Former Employee) –  Oldham15 January 2018
I didn't mind working hear and being on the van I enjoyed having a laugh and no one being to strict on you all day and getting to go to RSPCA shelter seeing the dogs. benefits was sometimes good as if I seen anything first that I liked I could grab first.
Pros
not stuck in the shop all day
Cons
hours was quick
Hard working and dedicated team.
Animal Carer (Current Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire1 December 2017
The day to day basics are mostly the same depending on what section you're allocated that day. Staff are hard working and dedicated to their job and will mostly help each other out.

The animals get the best care available and everything is done within the RSPCA's power to ensure the animals are rehomed to the perfect home.
Pros
helping animals in need.
Cons
no benefits/ advancements.
productive and satisfying
volenteer (Former Employee) –  Accrington26 June 2018
we cared for and maintained all animal throughout the charity. we worked close with management as they were very hands on with the running of the charity.
Pros
working with animals
Cons
Part-time Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bearwood, West Midlands30 October 2018
Typical day of work was to check everything at the back of the shops to see if everything was sorted out. I sometimes would be on the tills and helping cutsomers of what they need. I have learned and devloped my skills for example communication and meeting of new people. Workplace culture were an friendly enviornment and welcoming new people.
"Put up or shut up"
Animal Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire11 June 2018
Initially was great fun and colleagues lovely. Management let it down. Rules contradicted each other and they were very picky with what employees could or couldn't do (depending on how staffed they were that day).
Never received formal training and when queried this I was told if I didn't like it, then to leave!
After leaving I discovered that they had been slandering me on my personal files, falsely accusing me of things that never happened and/or discussed with me.
Very sly branch. Would stay clear!
very professional and hard working
Apprentice Kennel Assistant (Former Employee) –  Warrington, Cheshire25 November 2018
working at the rspca was great, I got along with everyone and gained a lot of experience but because of unfortunate events with the centre I have to leave on the 4th December, but its a great place and would recommend anyone to apply for a job at the rspca, the hardest part about the job was coping with the dogs we had lost due to poor condition from there owners.
Pros
great staff
Cons
outdated facilities
Not recommended
Animal Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stubbington20 November 2018
I worked for the RSPCA for over 20 years. At the beginning the job was fun. with good support and friendly and helpful colleagues. As time went by, and as original people left, the new staff became more distant, rules were tightened, and the atmosphere became one of blame, not help. My opinion is tainted by my experiences, but I would not recommend this company as a place to work.
Pros
Work with animals
Cons
Become too regimented
A Great charity
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Totnes16 July 2018
excellent place to work, very rewarding experience,great work life balance, i have learnt valuble life skills and would recremend this jobs for young adults with no work experience
Difficult workplace
Voluntary Worker (Former Employee) –  Chatham8 April 2018
This was a difficult working environment for a number of reasons: the staff and particularly management did not treat volunteers with much respect which made for a difficult work-life balance as other important life stressors such as school were not respected or taken into account.

This job also required early hours for no pay.
Pros
cute rabbits
Cons
stressful
fun and productive
Retail Assistant (voluntary) (Former Employee) –  Halifax4 July 2018
met new people at this place my days working their were fun and enjoyable, everyday was different i learned alot working here and met alot of interesting but fun people
Pros
breaks wen we needed
Cons
Great atmosphere for animal lovers
Shop Assistant (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Aldershot19 August 2018
If you love animals this is the right place. Customers sometimes bring there dogs in to say hi and we just talk non stop about our pets and tell each other rover did this today and rover made me laugh because.... The managers let you work at your own pace and what your happiest with doing
Pros
Lots of animal chat
Cons
Rspca in general has got worse and has now gas bad rep