RSPB Employee Reviews

Great place to work and friendly staff
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands14 August 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed working at the RSPB alongside a team of fantastic individuals and it was fun doing all sorts of events and mixing with all sorts of people belonging to different generations. I learned a lot about various creatures and also myself. It is definitely enjoyable and I would love to go back one day.
A beautiful place to work
Assistant Catering Manager (Current Employee) –  Pulborough, West Sussex21 February 2018
A beautiful place to work. A typical day for me would be arriving early to get everything turned on and food preperation under way. Sorting the deliveries and getting the staff motivated for the day. Once all the cooking has been done and lunch service has finished we then do any prep for the following day. Then any orders are phoned through, kitchen is cleaned thoroughly and any office work completed ie rotas, meetings and 1-1 meetings with the staff.
Pros
Beautiful setting to work in.
Cons
Very stressful and under appreciated.
Drastically changed for the worse in recent times
IT Manager (Former Employee) –  Sandy27 January 2018
You will certainly be kept busy, with no end of work needing to be done. The downside of that is the often pointless nature of what is done, with little sense of achievement. It is easy to spot those that have been there awhile, and there is a high percentage of staff who have only ever worked there, who have a very institualised way of working which is at odds quite often with the modern corporate world.

There is much talk of the RSPB family, the cause, and the great surroundings, what is missing is the remuneration. It does not seem to be realised that excepting those in the direct conservation areas, other work primarily to keep a roof over their head and pay their bills. There are no other benefits to offset the low pay, no healthcare offer for example. There is a pension scheme but it is pretty much the bare minimum required.

There has recently been a huge turnover of staff. The already poor salaries have now become far worse, with recruitment clearly being a huge issue. New members of staff brought in have invariably been 'burnt out' and are looking for a slower pace and talk of taking extremely large pay cuts to join, and I'm not sure how sustainable a recruitment model that is long term.

Progression in post is almost non-existent, you often need someone to retire to be able to even think of any career progression. Though with the new staff churn rates that is improving slightly.

Management is extremely variable, with some shockingly bad examples that overshadow those that clearly are trying hard to perform and do a good job.

The RSPB has the feeling of
  more... academia crossed with a local authority about it, and if that is your background and you're willing to take a sizeable pay cut without additional benefits, then you would fit right in.  less
Pros
Nice grounds
Cons
Poor salary, no career progression, poor office space environment, expensive canteen
Great place to volunteer
Residential Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Dumfries and Galloway25 January 2018
I volunteered twice for different RSPB reserves. In both instances the staff you were working with were fun and engaging, a great experience and a wonderful way to live.
Wish I never worked there
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sandy, Bedfordshire1 December 2017
Big mistake taking job there. Very unhappy workforce with high turnover of staff due to changes in conditions of service designed to save money at dedicated long serving staffs' expense. Would expect better from a well known charity.
Pros
Nice old building and grounds for lunch time
Cons
Micro managed by big egos
Rspb
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Holyhead, Gwynedd2 November 2017
A very busy place to work in the summer months, however, with a good team everything runs smoothly and the job gets done. The hardest part would be being on your feet for 7 hours constantly but the time seemed to go fast. The managers here were amazing.
Pros
Free lunch and amazing food
Cons
Tiring
Dedicated
Direct Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Sandy, Bedfordshire26 October 2017
Driven team making a difference to nature.
Open, honest and trustworthy charity.
Brilliant management.
Good work/life balance ethics.
Value their employees
Encouraging, supportive and fun
Volunteer Education Assistant (Current Employee) –  Purfleet, Essex4 September 2017
Typical day, preparing for education activities for school children and families, formal and informal.

Learned to run educational outdoor activities, with lots of guidance and support, on my own, with colourful and rewarding outcome and achievement.

Looked after, provided training and great on-going support.

Relaxed environment, hardworking, very professional and good laugh.

Hardest part of role is not forgetting to take equipment with you to education room when you have a long way to walk!

Enjoyable bit is being a small cog in big machine, which is an established national and international organisation that educates people about the world around them and brings nature to your doorstep.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Weather conditions outside!
Friendly and organised
Voluntary Worker (Former Employee) –  Frensham20 June 2017
Throughout my voluntary work experience with the RSPB, I was trained in habitat management and ecological surveying. This was for personal and career progression. I found all members of staff approachable and helpful in my training.
Good organisation to work for
Residential Long Term Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Aberdeenshire18 May 2017
The work was varied, I had the opportunity to learn lots of new skills and I had a great management team to support me. There is a great atmosphere within the company and I enjoyed my time with them.
Pros
Learnt a lot
Cons
Very difficult to get a permanant contract
Busy days
Waitress/Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Saxmundham, Suffolk5 May 2017
Rspb is a very busy environment, I enjoyed working there but pressure was put on staff to do things extremely quickly which I couldn't cope with, staff were nice and organised though
Fabulous people, inspiring work
Visitor Experience Manager (Former Employee) –  Basildon, Essex25 March 2017
The RSPB was a very rewarding and enjoyable place to work. They look after their staff and provide lots of opportunities for growth. I would highly recommend
Pros
Inspirational, job satisfaction and great people
Cons
low salaries
Fun and inclusive
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Lake Vyrnwy17 March 2017
As a university student studying conservation, my time volunteering at Lake Vyrnwy RSPB has been not only valuable in terms of gaining knowledge and experience, but I was made to feel part of the 'family' of people working there. I can go back at any time and feel supported and valued.
The knowledge and experience gained has been just as valuable as my 4 years of study at university and I would highly recommend it to anyone.
Pros
Staff discount in the RSPB store, flexibility, ability to learn on the job
I loved my time with RSPB
HR Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Brighton7 March 2017
A typical day at work was filled with laughter and fun whilst working hard and getting the job done.

The HR team for RSPB are second to none, and I miss them lots!

The hardest part of the job was the lack of modern systems etc. but everyone did their part to make it work.

One of the best jobs I've ever had, with the best colleagues. And of course, working for nature is always a winner because giving nature a home is extremely important for the future.
Very informative
Volunteer Worker (Former Employee) –  Farnham12 November 2016
Learned a lot of new skills and practiced some old ones, people were nice and helpful, learned to practice my tree identification and chainsaw
Pros
Nice long lunchs
Cons
Worked through heavy rain
Really enjoyable place to work
Field fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Swindon26 August 2016
I really enjoyed working here, everyone is so supportive, positive encouraging, however, this job isn't wildlife based, you have to be a very good sales man to be able to stay in the game which leaves you not much job security.
I met a lovely bunch of people whilst working here and the locations are fun to work .
Pros
take break when you want, late starts
Cons
standing and rude people. can be pressure to get targets
Great Place to work
Centre Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lochwinnoch1 September 2015
Very Friendly staff and a well looked after Centre. Made to fell very welcome and was given lots of assistance. Particularly from Zul :)
Volunteer Receptionist/Education Assistant (Current Employee) –  ENG7 August 2015
I love working with the RSPB and being a valued member of their team. They are a great organisation to work for and have very friendly staff that always make you feel welcome. There is always opportunity to progress and to expand my knowledge.
I am passionate about wildlife and working with the RSPB gives me the opportunity to learn more and to convey my enthusiasm to the public.
Stop gap
Supporter Services Advisor (Former Employee) –  Sandy, ENG18 July 2015
Was really excited to work here and the surroundings are great. The people I worked with were nice but its very easy to feel isolated in this role. I worked in a specific 'team' but there was no team dynamic at all. No drive or enthusiasm and certainly no team spirit. My immediate managers nor their line manager bothered to address this and only seemed enthusiastic with each other and generally ignored the team.
The majority of people have worked here for years with little or no promotion and no opportunity to develop within their roles.
At times I felt like I was working in a call Center rather than the role in the job description.
n/a
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Purfleet, ENG7 August 2014
nice people was only there a little while it was a work placement
Pros
free lunch

Ask a question about working or interviewing at RSPB. Our community is ready to answer.