RSPB

RSPB Employee Reviews

United Kingdom69 reviews
Featured review
RSPB selected this as a representative review
The job was to go around the Luton and south setting up tables and getting people interested in the great work that the RSPB are doing and get them to sign up to the membership scheme.
Pros
meet new people, pass on my knowledge and excitement about conservation
Cons
long hours and lone working.
Toxic workplace, with very competitive atmosphere. Management very unsupportive and if your face doesn’t fit expect to be overlooked. Staff undervalued. Strange priorities and do not consider alternative ways of working- outdated view and approaches very evident.
Pros
Large organisation
Cons
Lack of support, poor management, self serving colleagues
A typical day requires setting up a nature conservation focussed stand/table top and display at a pre booked venue (start and end times vary on a daily basis and this may also involve setting up a one man gazebo, you do have some influence on venues and times). We engage with the public, pro-actively, focussing on the RSPB cause and ultimately ask if they would like to support us by becoming paying members.

Operating within the ethical fundraising guidelines and having eye catching visual resources to draw public attention, ensures that we are generally not perceived as 'chuggers' We usually get a positive reaction to our activities, the RSPB is a well known and respected charity of long standing.

Having a strong interest in both conservation and conversation, this role suits me just fine.

I have found colleagues at my own level and immediate management very supportive and accessible. There is a strong team culture and a broad variety of knowledge, skills and experience within the team. They are a good bunch. Initial training is good and though you are thrown in at the deep end, straight out with the public after initial training, that IS the job.

The work can be very physically and mentally demanding. Without strong resilience skills this can be exhausting and as the work is target based (numbers of members signed up), this can also create stress. Having said that, there is a lot of support and training offered to help you to deal with this and there is always someone available to chat to. Though there is a fair bit of lone working, I have rarely felt alone.

I enjoy
 - more...
Pros
Great colleagues
Cons
Sometimes very long days, weekend working (weekends off on rota)
The interview process gave me a real insight into what was expected of me in my new role. I was kept up to date throughout the interview process and I was never left unknowing.
Before I began my role I was invited to undertake a 3 day induction program at the RSPB head office in Sandy where I was put up in accommodation and my travel was paid for. The training is thorough, fun and provides you with all the information you need before starting and everyone that I have dealt with throughout my induction has been really friendly and supportive.
Rewarding but hard work. On a day to day basis you engage with members of the public and inspire them to become members. You do have to work alone a lot, but you never feel alone because of the support network and community that defines the RSPB. You travel to a variety of venues, come rain or shine, and have some amazing (and some not so amazing) conversations with people. Securing a membership is always a great feeling that stays with you. Being able to talk about things you are passionate about and learn a lot about wildlife is a real plus.
This job may sound easy but it’s not.
You need a positive attitude and resilience. You are often outside in all weather, you are given equipment that enables you to do this but at times it is exhausting.

You turn up at a venue, introduce yourself, find out where you’re to set up and then set up your display.

You must be able to talk to anybody and everybody, your job is to get members, by inspiring them to join this wonderful charity that is doing great things to save nature.

You are expected to follow very high standards regarding fundraising regulations.

You become part of a great team. Your manager is there to help you succeed and the team are there to support you and you support them.
Working for the RSPB gives me great pride. I have a huge passion for nature and wildlife and I think you need that to do this job. You need to be very resilient as some days can be challenging but the job is so rewarding. A good knowledge of nature and wildlife is helpful but not entirely essential as you will learn as you go along..
This job can be very taxing and requires a lot of resilience as there is a lot of lone working, but it can be very rewarding to go out and inspire others about nature and conservation. Enough to inspire them to support the RSPB. Team spirit is highlight as well, the team is very supportive and will pick you up if you ever feel down. Overall great charity to work for and great team atmosphere.
Working a membership fundraiser is a challenging job. You do need to have self resillience to whatever is thrown at you from the public and the RSPB are good at being supportive to when this happens. Hours can vary, due to the variation of shopping area opening times and events. The team is kept up to date via regular meetings and one to ones with our Area Manager. There is sometimes a quite a bit of paper work and admin side to sort out at the RSPB, which I think some could be streamlined and done more electronically and quickly. Overall, the support is good, resources are there and you don't have to know loads about birds to work there. If you're willing to learn new things, be passionate about saving nature and build up resillience, then this job will fit your life perfectly.
Complete career change for me but already it's been a wonderful experience! My team have made me feel so welcome and the boss is the best boss I have ever had!

Looking forward to the future with the RSPB!
Its busy, and at times frustrating - what gets you through is the support you receive and the culture of looking after people. Let alone you know you are working every day for such a good cause. Nature is at the centre of everything we do and its an honour to be part of the charity. The most enjoyable part of the job is your awakening to how amazing the reserves are, the hardest part can be being outside in all weathers but its worth it for the potential for development as the organisation will support your development to be the best you can be. The people are fabulous - from the top right down to the bottom.
My time at the RSPB so far has been really positive! I joined on a 6-month temporary contract in June 2019 as a Recruitment Assistant, and have since been offered a permanent role, the paperwork of which was completed swiftly - well before my initial contract was due to end.

I had to relocate from one office to another in October 2019, but otherwise I have been made to feel very comfortable; all of my needs have been met by my line manager, and my remuneration package is increasing in the new financial year to keep in line with the industry standard.

The holiday allowance is great (34 days per year incl. bank holidays), I have flexible working opportunities (my job should be based in Bedfordshire but I work in Sussex), I feel very supported by my team, and the extracurricular activities (badminton & volleyball in my case) are a massive bonus to my wellbeing.

My office environment is very friendly and peaceful, the technology is very modern, and I'm a big fan of the lengths the organisation go to to encourage a green approach to office supplies, recycling, etc.

Whilst my job itself is difficult, I am generally able to manage my workload within my working hours, and given that it's for a charity, I'm happy to be flexible myself in return for the above-mentioned benefits.
Pros
Lovely work environment, Healthy remuneration package, Great support network
Cons
Bureaucracy
Managing the till, making food and drinks, serving customers. Customer service, cash handing, cleaning table outside and inside. Making sure stock of products don't run out.
It was OK for a charity of its size. Some good people some bad people. It was all about the cause; helping animals is close to my heart and here I felt I made a difference.
Amazing to be a part of an organisation that's on the front line of conservation. As a Field Fundraiser, despite the odd rude comment, you actually get a lot of positive and compassionate feedback from the general public.
As a membership fundraiser you must be very resilient, otherwise it certainly can impact your wellbeing in a negative way.
The organisation as a whole is fantastic to work for, everyone is very caring and want you to succeed.
Taken a bit for granted
Senior management is disorganised at times .

Decisions take an age to come to having to pass things by head office constantly
Meeting different people is the highlight of working there but it can be a struggle when there’s not enough staff. The management or office staff are reluctant to help but are quick to pull you up if you’ve done something wrong -
Everyone is lovely and very helpful. Other staff and volunteers are mostly very nice, just a few management members were a bit controlling and know it all
This is a job for the dedicated nature lover who believes in the fantastic work of the RSPB. The roll is challenging but rewarding if you are successful on a daily basis. You will need to have good communication skills and resilient to constant rejection from the public.
I would volunteer 2-3 days a week (on holidays, weekends and after finishing my university degree) doing practical conservation work, habitat management, maintenance of reserve and co-lead work parties. For the rest of week I would do visitor engagement work, attending and running public events, office work and being responsible for the reception hide to cater for visitors and inducting new volunteers in the use of the electronic till and membership tablet.
Pros
Free tea, beautiful and best reserve in the country
Cons
Intensive labour