RSM Employee Reviews

Blame Culture
Associate Director Debt Recovery (Former Employee) –  Birmingham5 November 2018
Senior Partners will blame more junior members of staff and offer minimal support - not nice people to work for if something goes wrong. The employees are excellent and these people and the offices offer a very pleasant working environment. Some great clients.
Pros
Working offices and environment and pleasant staff and junior management
Cons
Poor senior management, not supportive, blame culture
fun workplace
Crew member (Former Employee) –  Burton-On-Trent10 January 2019
it is a very fun place to work provided that you dont mind getting up at 6.00 am and dont mind working till 5.00pm long hours and youll hardly see the boss of the burton area
Pros
free tea
Cons
Really refreshing environment so much opportunity to progress
Marketing Executive (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London25 September 2018
This was my first move into a professional services environment and I've really enjoyed working at RSM. I've found it a really refreshing and collaborative environment Any of the partners/senior management that I've worked with have been helpful and approachable.

Within 6 months, I've already been promoted and have been really impressed with the learning and development resources/training opportunities. Excellent life/work balance too!
Pros
Training and development opportunities
Might be the wrong RSM
VP Technical design (Former Employee) –  Hitchin, Hertfordshire31 August 2018
There are a few RSMs out there. This refers to the Irish one. It appears to wound down in the last few day. no longer work here. An excellent team, and good management now let go.
Unpredictable
Manager Risk Advisory (Former Employee) –  London16 January 2019
Unpredictable employer. Not very good experience. One day notice was asked to leave. Mysterious surroundings. Was asked to join them again. Had very good experience in working in practices before.
Pros
Opportunity to work on different projects
Cons
Unpredictable
Great people to work with - not too corporate
marketing (Former Employee) –  London12 April 2018
Enjoyed the job, but very high turn around of staff in marketing department. Great colleagues in the team but one would leave every week - down to bad management from the top, no internal promotions, very hierarchical and little change of progression if you go in at the bottom.
Pros
people
Cons
management
Awful management from the top down, totally unappreciative of their staff
Payroll Executive (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, Essex17 July 2018
One of the worst places I’ve worked. The IT infrastructure is appalling, managers would literally ignore staff on their team for weeks on end (not even a hello in the morning), upper management would discuss members of staff, apraisals and pay increases (or lack there of) in ear shot of lower staff, supervisors did not supervise and direct managers would make it known to the entire work force when they were in a bad mood and make it a thoroughly unpleasant place to work. Certain departments were definitely seen as the poor relation. Could not wait to get out of there.
Pros
Very few
Cons
Unapproachable managers, no pay rise for 3 years, low wages and unappreciative.
Treat staff like animals
Auditor (Former Employee) –  Surrey8 December 2018
Would avoid like the plague, they treat staff poorly, when you don't fit their very specific mould they push you out, and make you feel awful. Given me permanent mental health illness working here.
not really a good place
Accounts Assistant (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne11 June 2018
not very supportive through life and work. Working long hours with little support, doing ridiculous amounts of work. No time for anyone struggling it seems.
Waste of time.
Pay & Bill Executive (Former Employee) –  Grangemouth26 April 2018
Unless your face fits you won’t make it anywhere in this company, no matter how hard you work. Management are a disaster, never taking responsibility for issues. Not pleasant to work for and made to feel not worth their time. Awful.

Want to know more about RSM?

Ask a question
Good place to work with restrictive systems
Risk Assurance Manager (Former Employee) –  London18 July 2018
Whilst this what a fun and interesting role the audit systems that were in place were more of a hinderance than a help to myself and my team. I enjoyed meeting a diverse range of clients and forging close relationships with them.

The staff were always friendly and went over and above with regards to traveling for several hours top reach our clients and maintained a very professional approach at all times.
Pros
good atmosphere
Cons
Systems
Work experience placement - useful and fun
Work Experience Placement (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh8 June 2018
I was doing a work experience placement at RSM. The placement was well structured, spreading my working time between different departments. The employees were very nice and helpful.
Hard work and very pressurising
Regional Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Birmingham, Leicester & Milton Keynes24 February 2013
A typical day at work would consist of a very early start, email run through before getting to the office in case of any immediate alerts or problems that may face me during the day. Things changed on a daily basis within RSM Tenon.
I would travel to whichever of the four offices i managed, and begin with a basic run through of the weeks activities with either the marketing executive who reported into me, or the specific partner in question for whichever service line I happened to be managing that day, i.e. Tax, Advisory, Audit etc.
I would spend a day coordinating campaigns, analyzing performance data, attending meetings, managing advertising content and event correspondence, as well as delegating time to respond to emails on a regular basis. My day would end around 6pm. As there were only three marketeers to cover the midlands region (including me), I would then work at home until 11pm (approx) each day to continue email correspondance in order to get ahead for the next day. My area was extremely under-staffed and extremely pressuring. But extremely rewarding with salary.
Pros
salary, car and benefits package
Cons
no support staff and long hours
Apprenticeship (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire2 May 2018
A close and caring office space with welcoming staff. The managers are respectful and considerate. The salaries are generous and the work is fair but occasionally demanding
Difficult to work there as a recent graduate
Audit Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chelmsford, Essex29 July 2017
It's not a very diverged atmosphere, firstly. I was the only person of colour there. There isn't much of a culture there either. I felt constant;y scrutinised in everything i did. They don't give immediate feedback, instead pick up on every little thing you do and put it on a formal review feedback. Management in some respects is very unsympathetic to issues you ma have. The culture and atmosphere isn't conducive to making friends, just coworkers who will backstab you.
Pros
Lots of free lunches
Cons
Dog eat dog world concept
Payroll dept
Payroll Administrator (Former Employee) –  Crawley, West Sussex30 July 2017
Dumped on from a great height regularly, over worked, under paid, unrecognised,company has a high turn over of staff as you are just a number. Management in certain areas are a joke - noting positive to say.
Pros
Noting
Cons
Management -salary - general attitude
It was a great experience
Accounts Assistant (Former Employee) –  Basingstoke, Hampshire14 December 2016
Working in the accounts department.
Creating spreadsheets to find missing payments.
Management was great, everyone was treated equally.
Most enjoyable part was the work/life balance.
Fast-Paced, Budget Orientated. No two days are the same.
Internal Auditor/ Lottery Assistant Adjudicator (Former Employee) –  London, ENG2 July 2014
No two days are the same being an internal auditor.
You can be scoping an audit, carrying out testing for another audit, then answering urgent queries from client side management in a single day.
The only thing that is 'typical' is recording the time spent on various jobs at the end of the day on the time management software.

Working at Baker Tilly, my communication skills have drastically improved. You can be liasing with all levels of the business in any one given day, whether it is in meetings, on the phone, or in an email. I learnt that to ensure that you have a productive day it is the little things like creating a to-do list and taking regular breaks that make you productive. Made sound small, but it's the bare basics that actually make you efficient.

The hardest part of my job was having to deal with difficult clients. Being an auditor you are the face of the company, you have the responsibility of showing the client you are 'Baker Tilly' and you have this reputation to uphold daily.

My co-workers were great, even though we almost always worked autonomously, there was always someone there to help you with a problem, or peer review your work.
Pros
Could work from home, flexible working hours
Cons
long hours, weekend working at times and pay
Multicultural
Freelance Translator & Proofreader (Current Employee) –  London, ENG11 February 2015
As a consultant and freelancer I start my day by organising my priorities. I have learnt that organisation is key to deliver quality and to optimize your tasks. I manage my demands and deliveries using six sigma tools, which help me to eliminate deviations in the work process. The hardest part of working as a consultant or freelancer is to be sure that I have constant work to do, keeping balanced a regular demand of work and availability to deliver jobs on time.
The most enjoyable part of working as a management consultant and freelance translator/proofreading is to have the opportunity of being constantly learning new subjects, and participating in projects with colleagues from different backgrounds, cultures and with different experiences.
I would say that the main pros of my current job activities are the learning and developing opportunities, and would pointed out only the work demand instability as a contra of being a self-employed.
Average firm
Audit (Current Employee) –  London22 April 2013
Not a bad firm overall but something is clearly missing. Too many people come and go, colleagues continually complain about not being given opportunities then (justifiably) complain when it's high pressured work for clients and senior managers expect unreasonable results. Strong feelings shared by colleagues that "this is a temporary career move, I plan on heading to the big four in a few years".
Pros
good clients, colleagues are friendly, nice offices in baker street
Cons
negative feelings of management shared by many colleagues

Ask a question about working or interviewing at RSM. Our community is ready to answer.