RSA Employee Reviews

United Kingdom67 reviews
Well known company to work for in the insurance industry. Lots of friendly staff. Development and training can sometimes be held back because it is such a large firm however it is a fun industry to be in with good benefits.
Pros
Flexitime
Cons
Salary
First off - I worked as an inbound call handler in the Nationwide Home Insurance department; "Customer Manager" was my title. I don't think the job was right for me, I wanted to spread my wings and fly - not be kept in a cage (so to speak) I am a reasonable person regarding work, who previously worked as a waiter and a supervisor and then left RSA to pursue a different career path. I needed the money and the job with RSA seemed promising and ticked the boxes

Lets start with the good bits first...

•The staff - as in the actual call handlers - are brilliant, and a couple (2) Team Leaders (TL) were great, best bunch all in all that I have ever worked with,

•Everyone is happy to help eachother and have a laugh, everyone is stressed and maxed out together, in an 'all in this together' kind of way,

•The money was okay too,

•You have access to benefits and discounts - nobody will elaborate on how to use them though - eg 1% off at Apple - yes thats right - one percent!

•The team you work in will feel like a family once you settle in,

•4 weeks training - doesn't actually prepare for the job but it's fun none the less,

•Social events - Pride events (Nationwide) Bowling and staff Parties

•End of year bonus,

•Availability of a Payrise,

•The building and grounds were pleasant,

•Secure staff carparks,

•Secure building,

•Occasional Lieu days,

•Could go home early sometimes,

•Well maintained building,

•Break area with pool table,

•Free to use hot drinks machines,

•Table Tennis in break area,

•Comfy sofas in break area,

•Special equipment available if needed,

•Occasional
 - more...
I Worked for RSA as a claims handler for nearly 2 years before decided to pursue study again with the intention to return. Unfortunately, it meant going through the recruitment process from scratch and if successful taking a paycut to less than what I was on when i left.

I filled in the application and necessary stuff and waited. a few days later I get a telephone call to discuss the job, ins, and outs, and to arrange an interview. I couldn't make the interview for the next day as I had to go back to my current position but would get back to the lady at Alexander Mann (the useless outsourced recruitment team), who know very little about the role, or what seems like the company either.

I called back the very next day to confirm my availability and arrange an interview as was previously discussed the day before, the woman had completely forgotten that we already had the discussion the day before and wanted to arrange an interview, to the point she decided to go through what seemed to be a script about the position etc, before I explained we discused that yesterday. I told her my available dates and she advised she would get back to me if it can be penciled in.

2 hours or so later i get a phone call back, this time telling me they weren't going to take my application any further. When I questioned this I was given 3 excuses:

I wasn't qualified (It's an entry level position which doesn't state qualifications needed, and it was my previous job role so I don't know how I can all of a sudden be underqualified)

- They chose someone over me - I find this a tad difficult
 - more...
Cons
Empty promises. unrealistic starting salary. Micromanagement
The starting wage is poor and when you consider the phone calls you’ll dealing with its definitely not worth it. Customers all have different disabilities, some physical and some mental and you have no information about the type of disability. Customers will also find it comforting to share their predicament which can be affecting for anyone who has any compassion in their personality.
Managers will often go for ‘meetings’ or catch up with each other about what they did at the weekend. There’s one or two managers who are helpful and emphatic however they are very few and far between.

Sadly, as with most call centres, the best part of the job will be the people you work with. I met some really good people and sadly, even more of the staff treat it like high school with a lot of bickering and talking behind the back of other staff.

Time off is a luxury, not a right. You have to book your holidays with 2 weeks warning, however there’s very rarely any time available. It’s hard to arrange swaps due to criteria which seems to be altered on a daily basis.

Progression within your job role is extremely unlikely. Unless you’re related to a higher up member of staff, or you’re prepared to spend a lot of unpaid time doing extra work and sucking up the managers above. If this isn’t your style, you’ll struggle to progress.

The likelihood of getting the 3.5% raise is laughable, you’d have to spend the 6 months not making a single mistake or ever going home on time.

The pros of the place; the trainers are incredibly good and fantastic people. The people you work with on
 - more...
I worked for RSA for 10 years in their credit control/accounts department - by many departments this was seen as the easiest department to work for as we had no call targets, no monitored phone times, no RAP.

I found this department to be very much if your face fits .... I was both sides of the coin ... on several occasions.
Pros
Job stability, independent working
Cons
Face fits culture
Varied work between call centres in Manchester and Liverpool, travel to main office in London, marketing insurance based solutions to businesses, working with teams.
Pros
Company car
Cons
Mad redundant
I've been an employee of this company for 3 Years and whilst I have enjoyed my time there, and love the People I have interacted with, this is not the ideal place for me personally.

I believe that Management do try to accommodate in most cases but always seem to fall short. My Team Coach however, is incredible and I can't fault them and how they have helped me in such a short period of time.

I believe that if you are someone who just wants a job, to work, to just stroll on by without a care, then seriously work here. Progression opportunities and very few and far between, and secondly even if you get the chance, someone will try to ruin it for you.

This place feels very unprofessional at times, and has a School/College like Culture, which in some cases, can work if it's been a stressful day and you want to chill, but I'm not a Child. I work hard, I do my job, I go home.
Pros
Free Refreshments, Breaks/Lunches, Benefits, Staff.
Cons
Shift Pattern changes, Annualised Hours, Salary, Attitudes and Behaviours, Cliques, Rumours.
Not the worst place to work for but considering i’ve worked in other contact centres I’m surprised that the Liverpool office has won contact centre of the year in 2018. From previous experience I’ve had plenty of support from floor walkers and leaders that know exactly what they’re talking about, coming to here i’ve noticed on most occasions my leader has to confirm what they’re telling me is the right answer with others and there is hardly any support on the floor, especially when most leaders are in meetings day in day out. Leaders are always reluctant to help you with your query and look as though they have better things to do? Salary could be improved for current staff as many of us are still on low salaries considering they’ve upped the pay for new starters - I suggest they look after their own staff first. Will most likely leave this place after a while not been here long but don’t see any career progression worthwhile. I think they should also put their funds into more support staff than upping new starters salaries. Departments in the office are no help and are always cold transferring customers through to wrong departments. Better to avoid this place to be honest
Pros
Good benefits/discounts, paid training
Cons
Unpaid lunch, uncompetitive salary, no help, lack of knowledge in leaders
A good place to work. People really care about what they are doing and how it impacts others.
It can be rather difficult to navigate your way round due to complex matrix management structures, and as a project manager this makes it difficult to know who you need to engage.
If your a little different in personality hear then this is not the job for u, they expect far to much from you as an individual especially for the money.
If u have an opinion then its fround upon. You have to walk on eggshells and be careful of the knives u get in your back. You are unable to express feelings, opinions and most of all u have to pretend to be someone your not.

As for management we'll let's just say they couldn't manage a drink up in a brewery! This is the worse place I have ever worked and I have never been treated so unfairly in a work place. However if u are someone that just wants a boring job with no stress and they say jump and u request how high then this is the job for you.
Pros
Free tea and coffee, benifits
Cons
Management, salary
Managers are bullies, you are simply a number to them. Once you've been there 1 year they will do anything to make you quit your job. I don't understand why they don't just terminate but the truth of it is, you get go up in pay quickly which is the incentive so from 16250 to 18000 in a year is normal but you have to put up with so much abuse.

The other downside is they advertise this job at 16250 but will openly email around for you to recruit friends starting at 17500.

Communication is terrible and it's frowned upon to talk to other departments. You may sit 2 meters from them but you have to email as speaking off the phone is not allowed.

I would advise you go elsewhere no progression and you will only gain health problems as a result.
Pros
Free tea and breaks are decent.
Cons
Clueless management.
Good induction process, clear direction and expectations. long tenure of staff reflects how much their staff enjoys working for them. great atmosphere and working environment.
Worked at the Bristol office until they had the mass redundancy and closed the office.

was ok. nice people and ok work if you like taking constant phone calls and having little time to process one piece of work before the phone goes again.
Pros
was a great bunch of people
Cons
office now closed.
This place is a joke - they treat employees as a piece of dirt with no element of inclusion in the business - all you will hear is that minor management constantly say ' we need this ' ' we need that ' well who is this we ? I thought f u worked for a business you are the ' we ' and not the 'them ' it's a place full of managers who no nothing except hide behind a computer and offe nothing all - it's a corrupt place run by accountants for accountants and they will make you basically miss sell products but it's all is fault - now and again they will offer you pizzas like fmonkeys in a zoo that will keep u quiet - as if a pepperoni pizza will make up for a factory style call centre - there people
Pros
Cons
Everythinf
I was made redundant from my job so the department no longer exists. I enjoyed the working there. The team have now been split up and moved to difference law firms.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Too far to travel
I worked here for far too long, when I first joined the company it was Royal Insurance Direct and fantastic. When they ‘merged’ with Sun Alliance it got worse. I was never able to progress with this company, the annaualised hours contract was blackmailing and manangement were vicious, bullies. I was off ill for 3 months with depression, anxiety and suffering from panic attacks, I was all but accused of being a liar by the company. When I returned my job it was no longer their for me and had been filled by someone else. The Union rep was a nasty, vile woman who didn’t fight hard enough for me to get my job back. The employees here were bullies who I once called my friends!
Pros
Cons
Culture, Atmosphere, Chained To Seat, Employees, Too Many To List
In the heart of Manchester City Centre with it's own proper coffee bar on site.

Trusted to work on your own initiative and to manage your own workload.

Colleagues happy to disseminate knowledge an information when asked and would listen to suggestions.

Would definitely work there again.
Go through the motions of reviews etc; but even if you have worked your butt off and there isn't the budget for you area then you don't pass go. When they decide they want to save money regardless of the loss in customer service and make you redundant you are tossed on to the scrapheap without any support. Very disappointed in how they treat their loyal staff and thought they would be a more responsible company to work for especially with their long history.
A mixture of people all carrying out diffident roles always be ready for that 1st call prepare yourself in advance and be ready, the enjoyable part of the job is being part of a team
Pros
flexi working
Cons
Excellent initial training, but support in the job is very hit and miss. It’s high pressure and extremely stressful dealing with customers motor claims. The hours and shifts are awful and the annualised hours are dropped on your schedule every week, sometimes working 40+. There is no life work balance and it’s virtually impossible to get the holiday dates you want.
Pros
Free tea coffee hot drinks. Lots of benefits
Cons
They don’t expect you have a life outside work.
Multiple locations , london , Sussex, Halifax, Peterborough etc. relaxed working environment . Professional approach to projects . You are giving the freedom to drive the project .
Pros
loads of travels multiple work loaction