RS Components

RS Components Employee Reviews

United Kingdom156 reviews
Featured review
RS Components selected this as a representative review
Having contracted for close on two years for RS I can honestly say it was the most pleasant working environment I have experienced. The staff are all great team players, management good and they believe in their company and forward progression.
To begin with I enjoyed the work environment the work was easy and the atmosphere relaxed there were nice incentives, treats, event days things like that though you expect this with such low pay.
Unfortunately a large overhaul meant too many people in the office no background checks which caused the loss of a tight knit colleague work place. Then the appreciation stopped for the staff and the work loads started to pile up.

Management in general were easy going and pleasant, until the stretched man power meant promoting anyone who threw there name in, leading to unstable people managing nice teams turning them into bitter and sluggish zombies.
Pros
Mostly nice people to work with
Cons
Massive Pay gaps between grades, no accountability for bad managers
Awful, corrupt, bullying management if you don’t brown nose you get pushed out . Managers are empire builders and their only concern is progressing their own careers at the expense of their employees. Pay is pitiful compared to the market place and targets deliberately unreachable. If you aren’t in a clique with management there is no progression opportunities and you are actively encouraged to lie about how great your job is to upper management
Pros
Cons
Endless list.
Great place to work if you don't want to do anything or progress your career. Lot's of pointless meetings as too many managers. for every technical person there are 2+ non-technical people getting in the way of actually doing work. Drip fed tiny amounts of work between 50% of time spent in 'meetings'.

No control or autonomy given to technical people. Totally incompetent IT department. Unable to have permission to install software tools to do development of system you are developing or supporting (this went on for over 6months). People breaking security policy to do there jobs. New CEO made this problem worse not better.

Avoid this place like the plague, totally backwards step for your career to work at RS. All the problems are blinding obvious to anyone who has worked at a competent software company. It's shocking how bad that everyone seems happy to accept this to continue.

My Advice: Have less manager's and non-technical people. Give more responsibility and control to the developers and let them get on with technical work! (They can were multiple hats. Do we really need A Engineering Managers, A product manager, An Agile coach and a Business Analyst for every 4 developers?. Do we really need a load architects 'analysis' all the development for months and years before developers get drip fed micro projects? Give power to the developers and remove the massive chain of managers, that get in the way of actually doing work. RS is paying people alot of money to not do alot!
Pros
great if you want to waste time and not do anything or progress career.
Cons
to many managers / No autonomy for developers
They continuously chop and change staff due to a lack of strategic planning at the top level. It felt like management were making it up as they went along with no detailed analysis of outcomes. For most RS employees it is the only job they have ever had so do not know any different.

People there are great to work with. They also have a great digital presence with designsparks.
Pros
Parking
Cons
Management / navigating archaic systems
Not a bad place to work. Fairly flexible and relaxed environment. You'll have a good work life balance, which is important to everyone.
Can be challenging when even management do not want to follow defined procedures or processes.
repetitive, mundane. do not progress members of staff, workload not evenly spread out amongst colleagues. extremely mentally straining to keep motivation.
Great place to work, Managers and supervisors are approachable and listen to what you may have to say.
Clean and tidy work place with well ran Health & Safety.

plenty of break out areas the site to have your lunch.
The warehouse culture is running behind in today's standards . The communication and understand between team managers and staff is reservedly lacking .
The shop floor is under going radical changes unfortunately the long serving members of staff, are not on board.

There is a vast culture of home grown managers who do not understand the business side of the production and moving forward to embrace change to improve productivity.

Very stressful for staff to follow and adhere to.

Great place to make friends, where your able to have the uplifting support from each other to carry on working.
Bullying is rife not payed fairly payed less then new starters been assured verbally and physically. This is a dead end job no promotion no development no training. Slow Internet poor systems search engine poor. RS are wanting to get to 2million products but search engine can't cope now. When you bring up complaints they claim your negitive
As per most paces there is more work than peope to undertake it, however, the management team recognise this and are understanding.
Working from home is becoming more of the culture and they are flexible around hours of working.

Everyone is very friendly and supportive, people try to work together to resolve issues rather than pointing gingers when things go wrong

Hardest part of the job is that we are mostly reactive, and it is difficult to find time to be proactive about maing improvements
Was always treated fairly and with respect I was encouraged to work to the best of my ability and was always helped to achieve whatever I wanted to the managers always supported me
Great working environment.
Great people.

Career progression.

Excellent induction programme.

Free onsite parking with permit.

Onsite restaurant.

Onsite cafe.

Onsite ATM.
I was headhunted for this job as a Territory Sales Manager, I was interviewed at a local branches trade counter by the Area Center manager, he came across as a nice guy so no red flags. The interview lasted around an hour and I was offered the Job there and then, I wanted to work here as they are a market leader and are well known established but also as it was a local job so meant less travel.

I joined in Aug and was then informed I had to go on an intensive stay away training course called RASPOC much to my dismay, Im not one for hotel life, nor classroom life, so this filled me with dread, if I remember rightly it meant staying in Corby during the week in a hotel for about 6/7 weeks!? passing this course was the only way you could earn a bonus. I have to be honest it was the most depressing time of my sales life, boring, silly and quite honestly I found it insulting, Id been in sales 20yrs working and excelling everywhere Id worked I didnt need basic training on how to make an appointment or close a sale, lets face it this company headhunted me because I was good at sales, then spent 7 weeks trying to teach me how to sell, very dated training!

Id been in the Job training from Aug til Nov, in Dec just before Xmas it was annouce

9d 50 (out of 120) sales jobs were being made redundant, and we had to reapply for our own jobs GREAT!! this process lasted months! I was eventually moved to a territory 40 miles away, hence to say I didnt last long, I found the management bullies, I dont get bullied so I kicked back, it didnt end well.

I could go on and on and on about
 - more...
I enjoyed working at RS but management was not had any experience to dealing any problems.my job was picking and packing customers orders. I was very happy with my job.my time keeping was very good never called any sick days. I always was half hour early.
But i dint think there job security anymore no management will give direct answers destinations 2025 is the end rs corby i will be looking for another job
Working here nearly destroyed me. The old boy network (ie, the whole management) were clueless but bullying. The protected themselves and threw anyone else to the lions. Would NEVER stick up for you as an employee, tried to trick you to catch you out, just totally soul destroying.

Run by jumped-up white men who's only skill was to belittle staff and hit out to protect themselves. I didn't think this culture still existed in organisations. Well it does! Basically, you couldn't trust anyone who worked there, little cliques formed and were VERY happy to drop you in it to save their own skins.

Made it into a totally paranoid place to work. You had to look over your should all the time, despite doing a really good job! That seemed to threaten the older, male, managers who then tried to sideline you or push you out as anyone who could do their job just showed the managers up to be incompetent and archaic old dinosaurs. But they didn't like that so be warned, if you upset the apple cart in any way (even unwittingly) chances are you'll find yourself suddenly worked out of the pack and left to die on your own basically!
Everything in this job is framed as an 'opportunity', but never has any rewards for taking said opportunity. Writing and creating training material as well as training processes out is seen as a favour to the managers, and there are no options of a paid trainer role. Many employees are 10-30 minutes late every day, and many are more than willing to take 4 or 5 long breaks a day with little to no consequence.

People that work hard are noticed more and therefore punished for lateness or when mistakes are made. This has created a divide in the office, where people that do not contribute as much are not noticed for multiple sick days, lateness, mistakes and general laziness. People that do contribute however (extra work, creating training material, training new agents, all for no extra pay and no rewards) , are held to a much higher standard, and therefore the managers will enforce rules to a point of ridiculousness when it comes to lateness, sickness and work standard.

Managers do not listen to concerns unless it suits them, as multiple suggestions for improvements have been put forward and ignored, with the same concerns then cropping up months later with no solution in place. Managers also do not consider concerns about bullying or worries about mental health, and these issues often get pushed under the rug and it is often the victim that has to move teams etc.
A good solid job but with limited opportunity for progression. Friendly environment and easy to settle with very welcoming and helpful staff. Pressures of working to performance but easy to handle if capable enough.
Great place to work, very welcoming team and easy work. Great company to grow with in and work towards the top. Very well run business and it shows with in the work space
ik denk dat je ervaring bij RS Components zeer af zal hangen van in welk team je werkt. In mijn team gingen mensen vaak en snel weg omdat het duidelijk was dat er geen mogelijkheid was om te groeien. Er kwamen geen mensen bij wat uiteindelijk inhield dat een job die 7 mensen voorheen deden opeens door 2 man gedaan moest worden. Dit kwam er ook op neer dat je nooit echt een goede band kon scheppen met je collega's aangezien ze telkens weg gingen naar een andere baan binnen of buiten het bedrijf. De senior managers, het "leadership team" bleek de problemen van ons team niet zo belangrijk te vinden.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at RS Components. Our community is ready to answer.