RPS Group Employee Reviews

Under appreciated
Principal Ecologist (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh City, City of Edinburgh4 June 2018
Work was varied but this was tempered by the poor (lack of) decent management. Working was very chaotic and close to the bone in terms of health and safety with staff sent out to work in remote areas and there was always a drive to stay even in caravans rather than say hotels or bed and breakfast accommodation.

I would often collate large expenses each month and these would take up to 100 days to reimburse as standard.

Lower grade staff where keen and eager to learn but overall the shoddy management killed it as an enjoyable working environment and lead to a poor working atmosphere and revolving door of staff.
Pros
Central office, Share scheme
Cons
Poor management
Good company for the right candidates
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  London20 March 2018
I have spent quite a number of years with RPS and it has been a very enjoyable experience. Please bear in mind that this is a huge company with many different departments and sectors. I can only speak for the side of the business I worked in.

There is no doubt plenty of room to progress for the right candidate. You get out what you put in in my experience. If you want to do well then get your head down and do a good job. Sit back and moan and you will find yourself stuck in a rut!

There are some great people working here. The management have a laid back attitude that allows you to make your own decisions and prove yourself without being bogged down with somebody hawking over your shoulder. Guidance however, has been available when needed.

Safety is at the heart of the business and training has always been provided when needed.

A very secure company.
Pros
Freedom to progress
Cons
Can be a struggle to get a salary increase!
Computer person not prv tech
Prv tech (Former Employee) –  Thames water contract24 February 2018
The company was great to start with .Then a change in management made the job so hard. Work not being sent over .you have to have a degree in IT. .so much computer work then actual manual work always checking trackers to see what time you started and finished work. No chance of climbing the ladder glad I left
Pros
Cons
The lot
Small but well run company
Manager (Current Employee) –  Grangemouth, Falkirk24 January 2018
Very hard working committed to providing an excellent service to its customers good structure through out the business from the top to the bottom everyone treated the same.
Pros
Good md
Good experience
Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Newark, Nottinghamshire18 January 2018
I was working on my internship after my first year of university. It was a new experience for me working in an engineering office but everyone was approachable and welcoming. I learnt about Euro codes even before it was taught in 2nd year and it was a positive experience for me
Pros
Social and company sport events
this was a good time
leakage engineer (Former Employee) –  York26 December 2017
good company to work for, good money,a works van and equipment. did do a lot of travel for a period when i went solo. Would love to get back into water leakage.
Avoid
Geotechnician (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London2 December 2017
Unfortunately changes in the corporate culture and the management have led the company's health to suffer significantly. Would strongly suggest avoiding.
not great
Leakage Engineer (Former Employee) –  Oxfordshire13 November 2017
not impressed at all. Salary mediocre. Management are more interested in figures and targets rather than helping employees. attitude is awful. Supervisor was probably the worst ive encountered in years. when i eventually left, manager couldnt even be bothered to speak to me
Pros
salary ok
Cons
management attitude
Do not deliver employee wellbeing
Mobile Occupational Health Nurse (Former Employee) –  South7 November 2017
Typical day and week would be driving an oversized van/truck/unit to remote locations across a 150 mile radius to provide Health Surveillance not having had the professional provider specific training to carry out the tests.
I learnt that I was over skilled and under utilised.
Management was dictorial, mentorship and support was non existent.
Considering this is an Occupational Health service they do not have the foresight, empathy or understanding to care for the well being of employees who work remotely.Workplace culture was to put up and shut up.
Hardest part of the job was not having a 'buddy.'
Most enjoyable part of the job was the lads I met.
Pros
Independent working. Pay.
Cons
See above.
Social place work
Mains water flushing tech. (Former Employee) –  Bradford, West Yorkshire23 October 2017
Different locations daily or weekly. Working in roads and pavements. In contact with the general public. Using hydrants to flush cedement out of the pipes and also opening or closing values to redirect the flow of water.
Pros
Working on my own initiative
Cons
Travelling far
rewarding work place
Principal Consultant (Former Employee) –  London29 September 2017
good work life balance
best part of the job is meeting the customers and helping them
Great team work and varied disciplines
Some travel is required, sometime to not so nice places
Pros
good work life balance
Cons
limited advancement
Very little positive to say
Environmental Consultant (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol27 June 2017
Below average salary personally and well below average for graduates and junior positions, very hard to attract staff. Benefits non-existent, very poor pension. No support from management, even when working on contracts that only the management thought were a good idea. Avoid.
Pros
Literally can't think of any
Cons
No training or support. Very poor salaries and benefits.
Provide good expirence
Environmental Consultant (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol24 June 2017
I am enjoying my time at RPS and I have gained so much valuable experience in just 8 months so far.
The only downside is the temporary contacts they offer and a very basic salary.
Several people have left in the past few months due to low salaries and a lack of benefits
Pros
Expirence, People
Cons
Salary, lack of job security
For me this was only temporary
Principal Consultant (Former Employee) –  Basingstoke6 April 2017
Independent Safety Auditing within a team of consultants did not suit my creative thinking. It is a good organisation if it is the sort of work you wish to do. The scope of opportunity is much greater than just being an ISA.
Pros
good work life balance
Cons
not enough passion
Don't waste your life here if you want a career.
Water (Current Employee) –  England30 March 2017
Extremely poor pay, Hard work and commitment are NEVER rewarded. The company are borderline OBSESSIVE with employee surveylance i.e. Tracking.
You WILL NOT EVER have the chance to progress your career with RPS as there is no career progression structure in existence within the company.

Dear Rps if you are reading,

Please introduce some form of stucture into your employees roles i.e. Training and development with a structured career path "oh ok the money is rubbish at the moment but LOOK where I can be in 2 years...ok, I'm going to keep my head down and progress.
Pros
Better than dole I suppose
Cons
Don't get me started
Poor management
Leakage Technician (Former Employee) –  North West26 March 2017
worked for RPS for a number of years and found no further training was available. Pay is poor and management were not up to much.
Ive moved on and increased my wages x50% . It seems they have the monopoly over the north west and seem to keep wages low to secure contracts and keep the managers in a job.
Its time to move over RPS and let other companies take control .
Pros
Cons
no training

Comment – 2 April 2017

dont waste your time and efforts with these people..there are other and better companies out there...

excellent company to work for
leakage inspector (Former Employee) –  Wales9 March 2017
excellent company to work for very friendly daily van checks and using gis to locate welsh water mains and assess customer meter details. daily checks of customer meters..
Ok
Leakage Technician (Current Employee) –  Church village8 March 2017
Worked for them for years
You get a van but you can't use it in your own time
Some vans are tracked some aren't
They give you a mobile tracking device to verify your hours
Pros
You get a van
Cons
You cant use your van in your own time
Amazing experience
Intern (Work Experience) (Former Employee) –  London6 November 2016
I independently organised a work placement at RPS Energy Group in London for a full week in my summer holiday, working a 7 hour day, rotating doing a great deal of different jobs around an array of departments from geologists to economists.
Frendly work place
Leakage Technician (Former Employee) –  south wales15 September 2016
An average company but low wages and hard chances on Advancements in a very demanding contract watching every move you make. the job is straight forward but it come with plenty of paperwork
Pros
van
Cons
low wages

Ask a question about working or interviewing at RPS Group. Our community is ready to answer.

RPS Group Reviews by Location