Royal Voluntary Service Employee Reviews

Great culture and management
Retail Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Whittington Hospital Shop & Co, London4 October 2018
One of the best jobs I’ve had. Management very supportive and helpful. It’s nice to see Area Management are understanding and regularly involved within the sites which is sometimes rare in other retail companies I’ve worked for. Love the volunteers and the NHS staff and patients who use our shop.
Pros
Supportive management
Cons
Not competitive pay for working in London
Great people, friendly customers.
Meals on wheels driver. (Former Employee) –  Wakefield, West Yorkshire14 September 2018
I delivered meals to the elderly, the visit to their home was the only face they saw in some cases. The staff were great the management not so great.
Pros
Good meeting elderly people that really pleased to see you when taking there lunch.
Cons
No honesty from management.
Fun volunteering experience
Stroke club helper (Current Employee) –  Ferry hill community centre31 August 2018
I volunteer on a Thursday at the stroke club. Its really good fun and very rewarding. We play games and have monthly outings with the members, which they all thoroughly enjoy.
Pros
Once a week
Cons
Unpaid
Royal Voluntary Service
Cafe Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bangor29 August 2018
It is a tea bar and shop, which is located in Ysbyty Gwynedd, Bangor. Volunteers have an opportunity to do customer care and they do different hours.
Pros
Time
Cons
Overheating
Not fun
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Haywards Heath, West Sussex22 August 2018
Asking too many tasks. Manager not involved in task and never helped. Too many working extra hour to cover holidays or off sick colleges. Late hours shifts including weekends.
Pros
Nice members of hospital staffs
Cons
Min wages. Not good management
Very comfortable enviroment, you don't feel that nervous when starting.
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Hereford, Herefordshire21 August 2018
Where I work, the people are lovely and may require some help when reading or hearing what the answers are so you can help them and they are very appreciative. I work twice a month as we work in a shared house scheme and they have other programmes on but we don't get paid as it's a volunteering role, but you feel good when you do something with your time like helping older people. The security for young and adult people is absolutely amazing, they manager will give you a risk assessment and go through what you should and shouldn't do and you also get booklets and leaflets for this as well.
Pros
Free snack and drink, no disrespectfulness, very easy to fit in
Cons
No money
A happy and satisfying place to work
Service Manager, (Former Employee) –  Stonehouse, Gloucestershire18 August 2018
Extremely dedicated charity whose main aims are to help older vulnerable adults to enjoy a better lifestyle.
Treat all employees and volunteers with the utmost respect.
A nice company to be employed by.

All in all I would recommend RVS to anyone looking for enjoyable and satisfying work
Pros
very flexible, happy to listen
Cons
bank holiday working and unreliable volunteers
Provide wonderful services for older people and support the NHS
Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Cheshire6 June 2018
Flexible working hours so great for work/life balance! A typical day at work is productive and satisfying. We are encouraged to work as part of a team but are trusted to manage our time when working alone.
Pros
Great training opportunities
Productive workplace
Cafe Worker (Former Employee) –  Bangor29 May 2018
During my time at the Cafe bar owned by the royal voluntary service I developed several skills that will benefit me for the rest of my career and I am very grateful for that.
Pros
Some food options were free
Cons
Some unpleasant tasks
Great place to work.
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Merthyr Tydfil19 May 2018
During my time with RVS, I learned a lot. Employees are entrusted with tasks and responsibilities which helped me to learn about a lot of aspects of the job.

Want to know more about Royal Voluntary Service?

Ask a question
fun workplace
Regen cook (Former Employee) –  Hereford, Herefordshire18 May 2018
Well working for meal-on-wheels was rewarding knowing that the elderly client was look after and care for Management ok but team mates were fantastic work with
Pros
lunche time
Cons
Not enough time
Fun and the employess was helpful
Cook (Former Employee) –  Hereford, Herefordshire14 May 2018
Working Royal Voluntary Service region cook for the elderly management and collages was friendly they were like a family and the whole experience was fantastic.
Pros
learning & Training
The most enjoyable
Regen cook (Former Employee) –  Hereford, Herefordshire14 May 2018
Working at royal voluntary service part time regen cook, for the elderly. management and colleges were so friendly we were like family.The experience was fantastic.
Pros
Learing and training
fun place to work
Retail Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Gorleston-on-Sea14 May 2018
getting the shop ready for opening, make sure the volunteers have everything they need including 'Health and safety' training,etc. Banking, accepting orders and doing rotas. The hardest part is sorting out the rotas, the volunteers that I have are very accommodating and helpful if anyone is on holiday or sick. But the most enjoyable part is seeing the smiles on the volunteers and customers faces and them visiting the store again and again.
Productive and worthwhile
General Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hastings19 March 2018
A brilliant place to work and to learn up to date work skills, as well as connecting with various people in the community. A good place to volunteer at any age as well as once a person retires.
Pros
Reduced lunches, great way to fill in CV gaps
Friendly, welcoming and proactive
Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds2 February 2018
A well run service, good delegation of work load,very focused on equal opportunities. Incorporated a variety of services and were constantly developing these.
Pros
A sharing culture
Management - HORRIFIC
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London30 January 2018
Can't advise enough how bad the management team are. Work/life balance is compromised massively and intruded regularly by hierarchy. Job itself is amazing but like many others working for the company are actively seeking new careers due to poor management. Wage is good for the job done, no time to spend it due to lack of staffing and unsociable hours.
Pros
The job itself
work experience
Secondary Eduction Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Llantrisant20 January 2018
My role was to receive customers into the shop, replenish stock items and monitor stock rotation and processed order. This was work experience liner up through secondary education.
enjoyable place of work
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Wakefield, West Yorkshire20 January 2018
I like the job of driver for meals on wheels, as I meet lots of lovely people. Most of the service users are old age. I love to chatter to them and give them the time of day, as majority of them live alone and look forward to seeing me deliver their dinner. I have quite a laugh with some of them. It's a very rewarding job as a lot of them live alone and some have no family, so its great when you walk through the door and their face lights up because they are so pleased to see you. It makes you feel special as you have brightened someone's day.
Pros
company car
Cons
easy going, fun place to work
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  East Kilbride16 January 2018
The management staff are really friendly, always happy to help you out and there is a lot of flexibility with hours making it easier to balace work social and education.
Pros
Short hours, free coffee

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Royal Voluntary Service. Our community is ready to answer.