Royal Voluntary Service

Royal Voluntary Service Employee Reviews

United Kingdom100 reviews
Work to timelines
Team ethics good, job was quite serious in nature so needed to be able to respond quickly to demands.

Was a temporary funded role working to tight deadlines so you had to hit the ground running and have knowledge in your field to best support people.

Needed a car and be able to drive.
Pros
Good local team
Cons
Not a living wage per hour
Flexible
Relaxed pace volunteering on a daily basis with hours that suit my lifestyle and availability providing assistance to members of the public who are self-isolating during the current Covid-19 Coronavirus outbreak.
Avoid.
I’ve worked for the company for approx 4 years now, I work in the leicester area. The team I work with are lovely people but the management is appalling. Quite often the area manager or his assistant will come to the site and will head directly to see the site manager. He or the assistant have minimal contact with the rest of us which I find a disgrace after all we are the ones who make the money for them all. They haven't a clue who works for them. There are way too many head of departments in the company, they’d save more money if they made that minimal, that money could be used to help make our units look better and more appealing.
The company’s management is all wrong.

Staff aren’t praised for outstanding or work yet they are picked on when things begin to go wrong.

There is also a mass amount of back biting behaviour between the managers within the area.

There are no benefits to working with the company at all. Not even a Christmas card.

Like I said the team I work with are nice people but the management is appalling. You won’t make a career working here. THERE IS NO CAREER PROGRESSION.
Striving to improve
Striving to improve. Has regular restructures which is unsettling but provides opportunities as a result. Good people at service level.
Difficult to have visibility of leadership team
This is a voluntary position
For volunteering it is great!!! You can learn office and shop skills. You do not get paid, but you can add your skills that you have learn on your CV.
Individual working environment
Slow paced on the computer with little interaction via phones. One manager who we looked up to. Small team of about 6 people who were friendly but motivated.
Dreadful management
Worst company to work for. No loyalty or gratetutde or recognition for staff even volunteers . Management are not in touch with the workers or service users. More interested in their own security and wealth.
Not people centered
Sections of company need to put clients at the centre and not funding
Equality regarding staffing

Local bases/hubs needed to manager local areas.

Agreements need to be finalised and processed.

Support mechanisms put in place

Too reliant on volunteers expectation too high.
Nice experience
volunteering with the RVS was pleasant. The nursing staff is nice and the patients are reallly friendly. You feel that you are able to provide the patients with something nice.
Relaxed and enjoyable
Been a Volunteer at the RVS for over a Year now and I've enjoyed every minute of it. Its quite relaxed and straight forward, there's many different roles for everyone, such as helping in their hospital shops, going around the Hospital wards with a paper trolley and selling newspapers, drinks and snacks to, the patients and staff. Other volunteers are friendly and the bosses are friendly too as long as you do as you're told.
Great place to work met some really lovly people
I worked in the cafe/shop serving costumers food and hot drinks.. I met new people every day. I learned how to work on the till and use coffee machines.
Good experience, friendly staff.
Enjoyable work visiting service users, frustrating administrative procedures, satisfying job supporting volunteers and service user visits.
Supportive colleagues, and lots of valuable training in Safeguarding.
Very much a case of your face fitting with mangement if your lazy you will get on well with mangement
The lazier your are the more you are thought of. Everybody was treated differently 1 person would do something and get away with it but another would be hauled over the coals for the same thing. No leadership.
Family
At the RVS your colleagues become your family. Good pay at £8.21 especially for young people and students. They will try their hardest to work around your other commitments and you will never be left alone until you are fully trained.
A great charity to work for
This a brilliant charity to work for and has many string to it's bow. Management is good and supportive and the training provided it really good. Great to work with so many volunteers too.
Good
Working for rvs is really good and the people are lovely. Love working with the public, as you make sure they are leave happy and a lovely coffee :) or tea
Excellent
Employee of Royal Voluntary Service in the Clatterbridge Cancer Centre, Wirral.

I have worked on many R.V.S sites from Bangor to Clatterbridge, all very happy, uplifting environments. Management are fair and supportive, colleagues are kind and helpful and the volunteers also. High cleanliness standards as expected in hospitals. Equipment slightly outdated.
Voluntary has its ups and downs.
During my many shifts at RVS café, I'd be expected to wash up the dishes, wipe the tables clean, stock up the shelves with food and drink, empty the bins and take the refuse sacks to the bin bag disposal room. Also, would occasionally help a customer to find what it is they are looking for and to help them to their seat. The people I worked with were very friendly and supportive. Some of them liked to make fun of me due to my appearance and behaviour. This is fine though as it was all done in a friendly manner. There was a time, when it did start to grate on my nerves and I was starting to get a little depressed over the childish remarks and the pinching and poking. All is ok though as I decided to move on to other things before it could get any worse. I now do trolley service for the RVS team and this is very enjoyable indeed. I met my best friend whilst doing this and we have got along ever since we started doing this type of work. This work mostly consists of selling the food and drink around the wards on a handy four-wheeled trolley that is pushed and pulled by two people. It is a fun job to have to undertake and I have done lots of shifts where I can say I helped someone in need. Nowadays, I don't often come to the café due to other commitments in my routine. However, Whenever my busyness starts to die down, I will most likely return to managing a confectionary trolley around the hospital hallways with my best friend tagging along beside me.
Pros
Free drinks and good busy area to work in.
Cons
Was made fun of by some of the staff which can be a bit tiresome after a while.
Great place to work.
Great place to work with a good team . Sometimes hard labour as there was never enough staff for the work level . Constant IT issues which did delay work at times . Thoroughly enjoyed meeting different people and working with the volunteers. Management supportive , helpful and fun and trained well in the role.
Pros
Volunteers, paid regular overtime good holidays.
Cons
Work demands with minimal staff.
A job
Don't expect support from management, including head office.
Minimum wage for a lot of responsibility fight from the start, you are expected to be a supervisor without training or being paid to be one.

The manager will blame you if things go wrong.

Expect to be on call all the time.
Pros
One free drink
Cons
No notice of shift change
good and flexible
this was the first place i worked, it helped develop my knowledge and understanding of what it is like to work in a public service and how to interact with members of the public
Pros
people
Cons
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Royal Voluntary Service. Our community is ready to answer.