Royal Veterinary College

Royal Veterinary College Employee Reviews

United Kingdom19 reviews
Its a nice place to work. I worked as temporary worker from the agency. The position was on-going until this virus situation which cut the job a bit short.
Friendly and welcoming team made settling easy.
Relaxed atmosphere in our office, work gets done but we also have a laugh.

There are many benefits of working in a large company like this.

On site car parking available
Make a difference and work at the RVC. A pioneering place to work, it just depends if you get the right manager above you or not. Make sure you get along with them and follow your gut at interview. If you have a good relationship, it could last a lifetime.
lovely place to work, good training, good wages, nice people throughout, commute was too much for me but would definitely work there if lived closer/ re located
A good team to work with and varied work load, high turnover of staff can lead to being spread thin sometimes. Great management that are understanding and flexible to your needs.
The company was very friendly and inclusive. I improved my time management skills as I had to prioritise my work to meet tight deadlines.I enjoyed working independently as well as part of ateam
Cons
I enjoyed working for the Royal veterinary college as a equine technician. No two days were the same so a varied role. Great for someone who enjoys working outside and is confident dealing with difficult horses.
Pros
Really good hours for the equine industry
Cons
Hard work, lots of mucking out and heavy lifting
I have worked for several years now to gain qualifications related to animal husbundary and I ended up cleaning up after students without being able to work with live animals and this affected my overall work attitude. Although I didn't slack in my duties, I didn't look forward to going to work day after day
Really friendly, would be room for advancement and support with this in a more permanent job role. For internships very helpful as focus on providing experience.
The employers there are extremely helpful in the work place and there is a calm working atmosphere.
The students in the university are extremely polite aswell.
Good place to work and good progression possibilities
Colleagues are fun to be around and everyone is very welcoming towards new comers.

Lots of team building opportunities.
I enjoyed working there I left due to having children my children are now at school but three are no jobs at the moment I worked I. A team cleaning the students residential premises
while working for the RVC i went out on first aid courses and many other courses i enjoyed working for the company however i am young and enthusiastic and would love to further my career elsewhere.
Overall safe and inviting work environment. A very diverse workplace which was very supportive and welcoming to me.
The business is very organised and management was very effective.
Pros
Free lunches
Great student job, Extremely flexible working hours and plenty of rewards offered for working. Allows you to represent the university which is great for a CV and have fun whilst doing so!
Pros
Fun and enjoyable
Cons
not enough work
RVC gives me great opportunities every day, ranging from roles that develop me as a leader and ones that allow me to be a great team member. I work with fellow students which allows me to develop my friendships to new levels and enjoy my time whenever i need to work for a longer period. The hardest part of my job is to be able to funnel all the requests students have and translate them into a few goals, such as areas for improvement, to the staff and then feedback the results back to the students. This is challenging as some requests need to be presented in a different manner to staff in order for them to be seen as appropriate and worthwhile. I really enjoy my job as it makes me push myself to be my best, and better, every day while allowing me to really make a change for the better for both students' and staff's experience in college.
Pros
Student's opinion matters
Cons
Sometimes I do not know who to contact when certain problems occur
The project of my master thesis was the investigation of the purinergic P2Y2 receptor in bone forming cells to clarify its role in bone mineralisation. The experiments were performed independently with consultation and guidance of my supervisor.
A mouse knockout model was examine for this purpose in order to obtain stem cells capable to differentiate towards the osteoblastogenic lineage. Previous data of microcomputed tomography was confirmed using histology to show the difference in bone matrix between wild-type and knockout mice femora. Wild-type and knockout bone forming cells were compared for their bone nodule formation, alkaline phosphatase activity, ATP release in presence of P2Y2 agonists, determination of cell viability and number, and gene expression. In addition bone-marrow derived hematopoietic stem cells were used for examine the phenotype of osteoclasts upon deletion of the P2Y2 receptor.
This was my first role in IT Support in a work environment. I had to ensure that staff & student issues are resolved in a timely manner.
I was front line of support for all enquiries and had to escalate jobs to appropriate level of support. I used to record all incidents on the in house system and record progress of incident and solution. Attend all training sessions to bring me up to required level to provide appropriate support. The management were also great here and my co-workers were fantastic to help me with any problems that I had. The hardest part of the job was that real life IT Support is massively different to what is in books and it takes some adaptation initially. The most enjoyable part was resolving problems and taking pride in the fact that I had fixed a problem for someone.
Pros
Staff discount at cantine that served great food.
Cons
Far from home so hard to visit parents/family as often as I would've liked
limited research for general science, but good employer. there were some opportunities to progress, but no more than any other academic institution. Could be slightly clicky