Royal Shakespeare Company

Royal Shakespeare Company Employee Reviews for Barista

Barista1 review
United Kingdom1 review
Found 1 review matching the search
I worked at the Riverside, which was often very hectic in the summer and on busy show nights, but very very quiet in the winter. Customers can and will get grouchy, but that's the public for you. Generally the people you work with are nice, and the work isn't horribly strenuous if you're not in a supervisor role (the turnover on supervisors is high). Only negatives really are communication between higher management and the ground team and fixing things. When things break it takes ages for anything to get done about it, and that can cause serious issues - for example the dishwasher broke and it took weeks to get it fixed. On some closing shifts we had to stay until well past 11pm (normally clocking off at 9.30pm) as we had to wait until bars were finished with their dishwasher before we could use it. This also caused problems with customers during the day when we'd have long queues and have nothing to serve their drinks in because the bars dishwasher is down the hall and takes longer than the cafe's. The immediate supervisors are pretty chill though (or they were when I was there), and understanding if you have limited availability for shifts. Great if you're filling in the gaps with other work, but when the theatre goes dark shifts are scarce - you definitely wouldn't be earning enough to live off with their standard zero-hour contracts in quiet periods. Overall a decent part-time job for the gig economy.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Royal Shakespeare Company?