Royal Shakespeare Company

Royal Shakespeare Company Employee Reviews

United Kingdom14 reviews
Moved to Stratford for a job and had no problems fitting in to the life at the RSC, everyone friendly and feels like a big family. Would recommend if you don't mind being out of the city life.
I completed an apprenticeship at the RSC and thoroughly enjoyed it. Lovely people to work with and great benefits involving the theatre and shows. .
I worked at the Riverside, which was often very hectic in the summer and on busy show nights, but very very quiet in the winter. Customers can and will get grouchy, but that's the public for you. Generally the people you work with are nice, and the work isn't horribly strenuous if you're not in a supervisor role (the turnover on supervisors is high). Only negatives really are communication between higher management and the ground team and fixing things. When things break it takes ages for anything to get done about it, and that can cause serious issues - for example the dishwasher broke and it took weeks to get it fixed. On some closing shifts we had to stay until well past 11pm (normally clocking off at 9.30pm) as we had to wait until bars were finished with their dishwasher before we could use it. This also caused problems with customers during the day when we'd have long queues and have nothing to serve their drinks in because the bars dishwasher is down the hall and takes longer than the cafe's. The immediate supervisors are pretty chill though (or they were when I was there), and understanding if you have limited availability for shifts. Great if you're filling in the gaps with other work, but when the theatre goes dark shifts are scarce - you definitely wouldn't be earning enough to live off with their standard zero-hour contracts in quiet periods. Overall a decent part-time job for the gig economy.
put the effort in and benefit from the rewards
hard work - good company - nice staff- great contacts

wonderful setting - essential experience - valuable in any ones life -
nice place to work, however walking distance is really big, nice and friendly atmosphere, busy environment to work, the most enjoyable part is a holiday time :)
Pros
free theatre tickets
Cons
zero hour contract
My position at the theatre provides an opportunity for my social skills to converse with members of the public and help them including offering advice on what is available to them within the theatre. Helping patrons who attend plays by seating, selling programmes and ice creams. When not on performance duties, the theagre is open to the public for visits to various exhibitions and experiences.
Pros
Opportunity to see plays
Cons
Some anti social hous
the people there were nice and caring and made you always feel welcome. It was a great privilege to work amongst professionals who enjoyed acting and theatre as much as I do. It was privilege to work with the RSC.
Pros
Professional
Cons
The Royal Shakespeare Compny is a diverse and dynamic theatre company. A great working environment, excellent facilities, helpful staff and a general feeling of community.
I am yet to have worked for a more supportive company. There are wonderful staff benefits but support in terms of occupational health, chances to develop and constructive feed back is incredible.
I have had a sound experience working for the RSC, including a short course in customer service which enabled me to understand the processes involved in dealing with complaints or stress. High levels of customer amounts sometimes over thralled the experience as there were shortages of staff, particularly on sundays and saturdays.
The staff are a multi-cultural group of people, therefore a language barrier is prevalent, consequently making interacting or conversing awkward. Resulting in short tempers and disagreements.
Pros
Complimentary ticket
Cons
No man management
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Royal Shakespeare Company?
Interesting work and very tight dead lines. Good place to work to have the opportunity to work in other theatres and progress with your skills.
The work hours were good, the pay was acceptable and the company management was good. The staff were hardworking and conscientious of the job they had to do. Very welcoming well managed company.
After I had completed my apprenticeship, I continued at the Royal Shakespeare Company as a fully qualified Scenic Carpenter, where my responsibilities took on new heights. For my current role I have to work from technical CAD drawings from which I build and construct different types of scenery. I also have to fit the sets into different theatres around the country. I learned a lot during my apprenticeship, but I was able to develop and improve my skills and confidence through my Scenic Carpenter role.
I work as part of a team at the Royal Shakespeare Company but also enjoy working alone. I really enjoy being challenged and I am enthusiastic to learn and try new things and gain more experience and skills.
Pros
always wanting to learn new skills and gain experience
Costumier: Worked for several major London theatre companies at this time including The Royal Shakespeare Company (RSC) and the English National Opera. While employed by the RSC I had the opportunity to construct costumes for the original production of Les Miserables. Also in this period, I assisted on various films including the costumes for the Last Emperor of China
Pros
great atmosphere
Cons
in the UK