Royal Navy Employee Reviews

Great life
Aircraft Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Yeovil, Somerset20 June 2018
Fantastic time during my career in the Royal Navy, great bunch of friends and massive life experience gained. Great trips and I only left to prioritise my family over work.
Good benefits and salary with great promotion prospects but a difficult job during a manning shortage
Leading Engineer (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, Devon19 June 2018
I have enjoyed my time in the Roual Navy but trying to manage my home life and work has become too difficult due to the shortage of experienced personnel and running platforms. Although the salary, benefits and prospects are good.
Pros
Salary, prospects
Cons
Long hours, short notice changes, not knowing what is happening next.
Comrade ship
Able seaman (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom18 June 2018
I decided to join the navy as it learns you new skill and learns you discipline and comrade ship and protecting british water from invasion great way of life
marine engineer machanic
Marine Engineer Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Rosyth, Fife15 June 2018
every day was different at sea or on shore.
main duties was looking after ships machinal and electrical systems 24/7
Was also trained as fire fighter and search and rescure

Best part of the job was got to meet different people from around uk and abroad
Pros
visited the world
Cons
not for the routine orientated
Apprentice Engineer (Former Employee) –  Grantham15 June 2018
this was some good work for me, however, my mind focusses on my own routines away from work and this didn't meet my requirements. however, it was very enjoyable and educationsal
Pros
free education
Cons
less personal freedom
Challenging
AIRCRAFT MECHANICAL ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire15 June 2018
Working for the Royal Navy is a new way of life. From how and when you eat breakfast to how you tie your shoe laces. Your learn how to respect yourself and others more, also how to respect the tools and equipment you have to do the job you are asked to do.
interesting and variable
Weapons engineer (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth11 June 2018
no day is the same so save monotony, how to diagnose and repair multiple types of communications equipment. hardest part of the job is the long periods away from home and the fluidity of sailing at short notice so no time to plan weekends etc when embarked on a vessel .
Pros
good training, career advancement
Cons
long periods away from home
Okay
Warfare Specialist (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire5 June 2018
Good for: Travelling the world, job security and salary benefits.

Bad for: Colleagues had poor work ethic, made working within a team much more difficult. Generally agreeable people but lack of motivation in a few was not ideal for the majority.
Pros
Good level balances
Cons
N/a
life at sea is AMAZING
Operations Mechanic (Former Employee) –  UK4 June 2018
You join for one reason to travel the world and make friends for lie, I can 100% say this is true on both accounts, the life is not for everyone a lot of time away as you would expect and hard for the family you leave behind, however its just great, life at sea is demanding but when u settle in and make friends it just becomes a way of life that would cant live without.
Pros
travel and friendship
Cons
6-8 months deployments often with a few weeks break and then out again!
Exciting, varied, travel opportunities
Master at Arms (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth30 May 2018
From a very young age, I wanted to serve in the Royal Navy. I joined as soon as I left school and retired 26 years later. I enjoyed the jobs I undertook throughout my service as these were many and varied throughout my career. I loved the overseas postings and the travel opportunities presented to me. The hardest part of my job was the separation from my family and the most enjoyable part was the varied roles, the travel and the camaraderie within the service.
Pros
Promotion, varied skillset, travel, cameraderie
Cons
Separation from family
different
leading engineering tech (Former Employee) –  submarine service30 May 2018
demanding, all encompassing,
management leaves a lot to be desired,
good work colleagues with some very interesting scenarios and deadlines to be met.
Strenuous 8 Weeks
Training (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, Devon29 May 2018
Prepare yourself to be physically and mentally challenged in an environment where every day is different. I felt that I grew as a person and faced my fears. Teamwork is everything - without your peers you will struggle.
Decent but not for me
Royal Navy (Former Employee) –  Torpoint28 May 2018
The royal navy is a very good employer and offers brilliant training and career prospects but requires a long time away from home and family which some people might find difficult
Hard work, but lifelong friends
Air Engineering Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire26 May 2018
Not many days are the same.

Hard work but that's understandable. Brings out the best in people. I was very shy before joining up, but that soon goes away and your confidence is instantly boosted.

Travel the World and get paid for it. Knuckle down and work hard and the promotions are there.

You will make friends for life who will lay down their lives for you!
Pros
Bed, board and 3 square meals a day
Cons
Long hours and time away from home
Awful
Engineering Technician Weapons Engineer (ETWE) (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire25 May 2018
Not a great place to work, see people off all the time. Spend more time away than at home. When there is time to go home and be with families they rather keep unnecessarily.
Top Rate Job if you get in.
Oct 86 - Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Various Bases around Britain..25 May 2018
Excellent life and career, travelled the world and saw wonderful places whilst being paid for it. Meals provided every day. Ship mates were a pleasure to work with. And the pay was top rate.
Pros
Free Meals on ships, Separation Pay and Overseas allowances.
Cons
Up to 6 months at sea on Deployment.
Is what you make it
Marine Engineer Submariner (Current Employee) –  Helensburgh, Argyll and Bute21 May 2018
Lifestyle rather than a job. If you want to travel the world then it is ideal, however if you want to plan your life and know what you are doing within that month then it is not for you.
Satisfactory hard work
Seaman Specialist (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire21 May 2018
A good start to a career to develop yourself as a person, great rewards and benefits, but a job for someone who likes being away from home and is happy to sacrifice part of there home social life
its okay for single life
Warfare Specialist (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, Devon13 May 2018
great job if you're single and have no ties at home. not good if you get home sick easily and does not like being away. sine oldies in the navy are rubbish to work for and throw their weight around and say its tradition but its the 20th century now and is uncalled for.
Work hard Play hard
Leading Chef (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire12 May 2018
8 years in the Navy have taken me all over the world. I have seen a lot of good places and a few bad. But thats why you join up! Due to defence cuts manpower is a bit tight, but this can be a blessing in disguise. It may not be all fun, but what you achieve as a smaller team can only make you stronger as an individual. This inutrn will lead to promotion and when the time comes that recruitment starts picking up, you're going to be leading!
Obviously the deployments have changed over the years, due to the number of ships, personnel and money but its still an amazing career that if you stick with the tough times, the good times will follow. Sometimes these reviews don't really show you what it can be like, but it can only get better.
I love the RN and its a rewarding but demanding career. It's what you make it!
Pros
Social, Good pay and benefits, Good housing and free food and travel
Cons
Sometimes away from home fo long periods, Lack of shore drafts