Royal Navy Employee Reviews

Can only be described as "A way of life"and not a job
Rank of Chief Petty Officer (Former Employee) –  Various10 December 2018
An excellent career which I started at the age of 16. Being a team player and excellent communicator are essential. You live and work in an uncomfortable, hostile environment with several hundred others. Leadership and management skills are required in rapidly changing conditions. You learn self discipline, confidence and adaptability. You have to be flexible and an average day cannot be dictated by working hours. You are on duty 24 hours a day. This could range from a fire in the early morning to a man overboard late at night. Life at sea in the Royal Navy is always real, you are not playing at it. The hardest part is the separation from families but this soon becomes a factor of the job. Your shipmates become your family and friends for life.
Career progression is encouraged and I reached the equivalent of middle management by the age of 27.
It is the discovery of a lifetime and given the chance I would have done it all again
Pros
Travel Comradship and an excellent soial life
Cons
Long work hours at times
Excellent secure career
Air Engineering Mechanic (WL) (Former Employee) –  Fleet, UK9 December 2018
There is never a typical working day in the Royal Navy as every day is different.
I learned respect and the importance of accepting others for who they are.
Pros
Security
Cons
Tied to a time sensitive contrat
Best Job out there!
Logistician Writer (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, Devon5 December 2018
Joining the Royal Navy has got to be one of the best Jobs there is. Not only do you become physical fit but you also experience so much and everyday is not the same!
Fantastic to be a part of but for younger people
Communications Technician (Current Employee) –  Worldwide4 December 2018
Working with the RN is both challenging and rewarding, the level of trust and responsibility at a young age is something that should be applauded. Training is difficult and demanding and requires large amounts of focus but they provide you with the opportunity for advancement and the time off is sufficient to decompress from the harsh environments you are placed in.
The Senior Service
Warfare Officer (Sub Lieutenant) (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire29 November 2018
I took great pride in serving my country with the Royal Navy and would recommend a career to anyone who is thinking about it. The Navy made me the person i am today and for that i am truly gratefull.
Pros
Travel, Adventure, Friends
Cons
Time away from home
Travel
Royal Marines Commando (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, Devon29 November 2018
Increadible traveling optuinty and amazing experience, if you’re some one who doesn’t mind leaving home comforts behind its a truly amazing job like no other.
Pros
Free accommodation
Cons
Long times away
Advantage of being in the Navy
Chef (Former Employee) –  HMNB Portsmouth28 November 2018
In the Royal navy teamwork is the norm, we all work together as one big family, and look after each other.

I learnt new skills in my trade Logistics, ranging from catering , health and safety, First Aid ECDL, level 2.
But also discipline,commitment, teamwork,solidarity and leadership.
Pros
Discipline Force
Cons
less room for critism
Unless you get promotion quickly, no prospects
AET (Former Employee) –  Yeovil, Somerset26 November 2018
Aircraft Engineer, pushed for me not to get promoted, finally got on signal, refused to put me on course. Happened twice. Gave 14 years, received nothing, not even professional training unless you got on promotion course. Unless medic CPD does not exist. Was very bored - did Open University degree, this made work angry. Even though I was doing literally nothing. Was supposed to drink tea/coffee and moan about circumstances, I did not, did not go down well with management. Now outside, higher wages, pick my time off, go home every night, no having to go in work miserable. Know what you want, get it and leave is my advice. Or just don’t even go there if not sure what you want! I have a house, worked outside work hours towards new career to get a job on exit, with high wages, great work environment. Happy now, but had to put up with years of hostile work environment to get it!
Pros
People of same rank stuck in same position so get on
Cons
Depressing workplace with no job satisfaction.
Warfare Specialist (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, Devon20 November 2018
The Royal Navy is not what you get sold in the careers office or what you see in the adverts on TV. The reality is far from what you are expecting once you complete your initial training and by the time you realise this, it's too late to 'pre voluntary release'. Be prepared to be away from home a lot, work ridiculous hours and see little in the way of reward for your hard efforts on a daily basis.
Pros
Free food and living when posted to a ship.
Cons
Long hours and months away from home with little time off.
Great experience
Leading hand (Former Employee) –  Various14 November 2018
Fun and exciting environment, lots of rewards. Great to travel and learn new skills. Good opportunities for adventure training and sports. Excellent rates of pay.
Pros
Great pay. Good experience.
Cons
Away from home.
royal navy
Department and deputy head of weapons section (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire13 November 2018
great fun fantastic time away in different locations around the world meeting new people learning new skills along the way structured working environment.
Pros
free accommodation and meals
Cons
along time spent away from family and friends
well looked after
Leading Hand (Former Employee) –  Collingwood11 November 2018
on the whole I felt I was well looked after by the royal navy. The job security was outstanding and the experience was well worth it. I got to see places in the world I don't think I would of seen without this job. The group of people I worked with over the years was brilliant and I was met with great hospitality from all.
Pros
long term security and great health care benefits.
Cons
being draughted to sea for long periods away from friends and family
sense of achievement
Aircraft Handler (Former Employee) –  Cornwall8 November 2018
at hms raleigh i learnt that team work plays a huge role in being successful so i learnt to work well as a team player and to work hard for what i wanted to achieve, i sometimes made mistakes but i corrected myself and got back and track and learnt from these mistakes. i felt a sense of pride in the uniform and what i was, i left basic training voluntarily because i felt i needed more time and life experience before leaving home at such a young age, everyone aty raleigh understood and brilliant staff helped me through the long thought about process of PVR ( premature voluntary release ) however the time i served in the Royal Navy gives me a motive and something to push for which i believe has helped me expand my mindset and feel ready for work as a civilliant before i come back to raleigh and give it my best.
Pros
Team work
Cons
facillities
good opertunities
Dental Practice Manager (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, Devon7 November 2018
I have really enjoyed my time in the royal navy. the team work and comeradery is something that you wouldn't find anywhere else.
I have had great opportunities to progress my career
Travel the world getting drunk!
Radio Operator (Former Employee) –  Worldwide6 November 2018
I'm sure you can imagine what it's like. Week upon week at sea, visiting exotic countries and ports.

I had a good time in the Navy, be prepared for a lot of drinking and banter if you join.
Pros
Good fun
Cons
Nothing really
View the world
Chef (Former Employee) –  Plymouth1 November 2018
Travel is good but also hard work while at sea, pay is good once your on a ship also more pay while at sea ( sea pay) good laugh with the guys and girls, if you’ve not got a partner I recommend it
Pros
Pay
Cons
Being away for long periods
I very much enjoyed my time in the Navy.That is why I served 22 years.
Petty Officer (Former Employee) –  Plymouth27 October 2018
I enjoyed the whole culture of being in the Navy.I learned a lot.Respecting authority.Getting on well with my colleagues.When we went to sea we were living in very confined spaces so we had to get along.
Pros
Seeing the world.
Cons
Being away from my family for long periods of time.
My job was for Queen and Country
Able Bodied Seaman (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire25 October 2018
The days at work were average .I learned to be a good time keeper .Also discipline .I trained to be a Able Seamen/Gunner . I made some good friends . The hardest part of my job was the war ,The best part was seeing the world .
Pros
Seeing the world.
Fantastic career growth and variety within the workplace.
Lead Engineer (Current Employee) –  Scotland24 October 2018
This is an excellent place to grow and develop. The RN's courses and laid out career path make this employer a fantastic place to start work-life.

I would suggest relocating to the area that you are based in. Those that I have known to make a real success of this job are primarily living within the area as this dramatically improves the work/life balance.

You will meet some of the most brilliant friends for life in this job, brothers more than colleagues and this adds to the overall appeal.
Pros
Career structure, World-class training, Pension, Salary.
Cons
Long periods away from home, Long hours.
1 star is too high for managment
Seaman Specialist (Current Employee) –  Plymouth19 October 2018
Just awful 0/10 would not recommend. Run by people who have never picked a tool up in their life who make decisions based on uneducated guesses. The free healthcare is good.
Pros
Free healthcare
Cons
Literally everything other than free healthcare