Royal Navy Employee Reviews

Challenging and adventurous
Section Head of the Marine Controls Section (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, Devon23 September 2018
The naval experience is one of spontaneity every day. There are moments when you have long arduous days on tasking. To relax days having a 'hands to bathe' in the middle of the Atlantic.

Opportunity to improve on your skills and education. A career path to progress through the ranks with training in management and leadership to prepare you for your role. The friends and experiences you make in the Navy will be with you forever.
Pros
opportunity to travel, on the job training
Cons
unplanned time away, long deployments
rewarding job
Leading Marine Engineer (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth22 September 2018
whilst working for the royal navy i have had some great times been to amazing places and meet friends for life. the job itslef is great with it being so varied however my time has come to leave as i am getting married and starting a family.
Cons
being away for months at a time
A fantastic single persons job.
Engineering Technician, Marine Engineer (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, Devon20 September 2018
Great travelling perks and you learn experience that will last you a lifetime. On the downside you spend no time with your family and struggle to plan your life due to the massive commitment this job entails.
Terrible work/life balance
Engineering Technician Marine Engineer (ETME-SM) (Current Employee) –  Faslane20 September 2018
Excellent career opportunities and bonuses, a very secure job however be prepared to work in excess of 70+ hours a week with very little time for your personal life
Pros
Job security
Cons
terrible work/life balance
Amazing
Recruit (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, Devon18 September 2018
Loved every minute of it. Takes a lot of physical endurance and stamina. You need to put your all into everything, but if you do it is worth every minute.
No two days are the same.
Leading Hand - Mine Warfare Specialist (Current Employee) –  Global18 September 2018
I learned how to be a leader. I learned how to guide and help people develop their skills while developing my own. I learned how to be punctual and manage my time. The culture in the Navy is phenomenal you will make friends for life. I believe the job in the Navy is only as hard as you make it. The enjoyable part of getting to see some parts of the world I thought I would never get to see has been amazing.
Fun Place For The Young
Combat Medic (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire15 September 2018
Not ideal for those with family, a great way to experience adventure. you can travel the world and experience people of all cultures whilst being paid.
HMS President (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London14 September 2018
Protecting the society is my first call of duty. God safe the queen and the entire British .
A typical work day is calm but been alert at all time is my duty.
Learnt about various project management including human management as well.
Opportune to travel round the world is one my good memories.
Pros
Classified
Cons
Classified
a challenge
junior seaman operator leaving (Former Employee) –  all over the world31 August 2018
Very good challenging experience something different to do, Different places to see & different people to meet.
Has its ups & down sides at times but that's life in a blue suit.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Watchkeeping
a fantastic way to learn and meet people
Digital Information Moderator (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire29 August 2018
Joining the Royal Navy makes you part of something special.
Part of a dynamic team.
Protecting our nation’s interests, all over the world.
It’s the kind of career you can be proud of.
A way to use your natural skills, and develop new ones that stay with you for life.
It’s not for everyone, but it was for me.

Want to know more about Royal Navy?

Ask a question
Excellent career
Royal Naval Missileman (Former Employee) –  Plymouth28 August 2018
I would join the Royal Navy again like a shot. I had a wonderful career and managed to travel around the world and get paid for it! Excellent friendships.
I felt like I had no control of my life.
Engineering tecnician (Former Employee) –  Various28 August 2018
The royal navy is not just a job it takes your life. I have a family so I am leaving to enjoy more time at home, my last 18 months I have spent 11 deployed and can not maintain this lifestyle.
productive, fun workplace and hardworking
recuit (Former Employee) –  HMS Raleigh, Cornwall28 August 2018
I was at basic training, and a typical day would consist of. Getting up early do what you have to do in the morning after breakfast clean for 20 minutes everyday. go to lectures, parade training IMF (initial military fitness) and the evening would be ironing all your clothes and washing some that need to be washed. When you start to get to know everyone in your division you will start to have the time of your life.
happy times
Marine Engineering Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire25 August 2018
All places have their ups and down and just like everywhere else this place had both the ups and the down to go with it. Some people have just downs and others just ups but they are the people who leave before having both.
Pros
everything
Cons
nothing
An excellent organisation
Able rating (Former Employee) –  HMS Raleigh, Cornwall24 August 2018
In the navy I learnt many skills in Basic training over an 8 week period. It's an organisation that offers more for personal development than anything other job.
Pros
Unlimited personal development.
Satisfied
STORES ACCOUNTANT (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, Devon22 August 2018
Had six very good years with the RN. Had a good bit of luck with where I worked and who I worked with.

Great pay
Great benefits
Good work team ethos
Testing times been away
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Understaffed
The navy is a good job if your a young lad, but when it comes to a family life it doesn’t tick all the boxes
Weapons Engineer (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth19 August 2018
I’ve been in the navy for 5 years and I’ve enjoyed it for most the part of my time. But now I’m looking to settle down have a family and the life involved with the Royal Navy doesn’t support that life style.
Pros
Going away with friends to different
Cons
It’s an unpredictable job
A Great Life
Custody Sergeant (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom18 August 2018
Having spent 22 years in the Royal Navy, I would recommend it to anyone who whats to better themselves and get a trade, plus the bonus of travelling the world, gaining self respect and respect from others.
Work hard, play harder.
MARINE ENGINEERING TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth16 August 2018
Have had a great 4 years. I joined 3 weeks after my 18th birthday, and felt very much like a boy in a mans world. I've learned a lot about interpersonal skills as well as the job itself. Often working more than 80 hours per week on deployment, with no incentives to put any more effort in than is necessary. Should be paid a lot more than we do.
fun hard working
Marine Engineering Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth15 August 2018
I had the best years in the navy but had to leave due to fammily commitments ( Wife was ill)
I would recomend the services to anyone
I would do it all over again