Royal Navy Employee Reviews

Can be fit for some not fit for others
Seaman (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, Devon15 January 2018
While the navy is a fine and respectable job i find it favours people who live close by and have no attachments it is safe and secure but the navy will always come first
Pros
Free dental, good life experience
Cons
Navy comes first
Great life experiance
Aircraft Handler (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire12 January 2018
Loved every minute of it, only left so I could start a family.you meet lifelong friends and visit fantastic places. I would tell anyone not knowing what to do with themselves to try the Navy.
22 Years of Job Security
Mechanical Workshop Sheet Metal Repair Supervisor (Former Employee) –  RNAS Yeovilton11 January 2018
I joined the Royal Navy way back in 1996 to gain permanent and secure employment, and to see the world. I have been incredibly fortunate to have experienced all of those thing, plus make some life-long friend/brothers along the way. On the whole I had a fantastic time (not everyday, but most) and I would recommend it to anyone that isn't afraid of putting in hard work for some excellent rewards.
Pros
Job security, global travel, camaraderie, health * pensions benefits.
Cons
Work-Life balance can become disrupted, it's certainly not for everyone.
Enjoyable job but hard work and long hours.
Leading Hand (Former Employee) –  Mostly ships based in Plymouth10 January 2018
Join the Navy see the world they said. 3 tours of the Falklands is not exactly paradise. Good job for a single guy, not so good when you are married. Long periods away from home with poor living conditions onboard ship.
Pros
Broadens your experience and horizons.
Cons
Poor living conditions and salary
Great way to spend your life
Administration Manager (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, Devon9 January 2018
I served 27 years in the Royal Navy and would highly recommend it to any one.

Compared to civilian jobs doing the same work you are paid better and given more responsibility sooner.

There is no typical day one day you could be working in an office another day you could be taking part in a replenishment at sea (RAS)
taking on fuel or stores.
Pros
great friends worthwhile career world travel
Cons
time away from home
Recruitment
Aeronautical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Yeovil, Somerset9 January 2018
Working at the Royal Navy careers office in Newcastle under Lyme.
We are the driving force to proceed new applicants into the Royal Navy.
And also guide them into the right career path.
Horrendous workplace, management is very poor, all able working bodies are selfish
Seaman Specialist (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, Devon9 January 2018
The navy is nothing like it makes itself out to be, nobody cares for anyone, it's horrible to work for them it is just one massive corrupted company. People get treated unfairly and the hierarchy are selfish snobs
Pros
Good pay
Fantastic
Air Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Yeovilton, Somerset8 January 2018
Great people to work with, some inadequate management but this is few and far between. Lifestyle is great, but not for everyone. Can be stressful at times however day to day when not deployed the work/life balance is brilliant.
Remarkable.
Chief Engineering (Former Employee) –  Global3 January 2018
Don't regret a single day, if I was nineteen again I'd do it all over again. There was no typical day, every day was different, and challenging. Local management up to Commanding Officer was always exceptionally good. The hardest part of the job was being apart from my wife and children but that was (somewhat) tempered by incredible travel opportunities to far flung places.
Career management
Chief Instructor (Former Employee) –  Helensburgh, Argyll and Bute2 January 2018
Career management is done properly in the earlier stages when junior ratings have Senior Rates as their Divisional Officers. once you climb further up the ranks, promotion is largely affected by how many raffles you can organise rather than your performance output within core job.

The hierarchy are so far removed from the reality it beggars belief.

Work life balance is very poor unless you live in Plymouth or Portsmouth. The blame for being affected by homelife is very often directed back towards the individual for choosing to live outwith one of these areas.
Pros
Good work colleagues, deep, long lasting connections formed.
Cons
Majority of hierarchy think they are still living int the times of Nelson
great for learning discipline and experiencing life.
Aircraft Engineer (Current Employee) –  Yeovilton, Somerset2 January 2018
The Royal Navy is a good organisation. The problem is the politicians and the goverment that control it have left it unable to fully function.

this has caused a large portion of the experienced personnell to 'jump ship'.
Pros
job security
Cons
family life is sacrificed
Sounds better than it is.
Marine Engineer Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, Devon30 December 2017
A lot of false promises with this job, if you like being away from family and loved ones then this job is for you, no job satisfaction what so ever as most work is contracted out.
Good stepping stone for experience
Leading Hand (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire19 December 2017
The Royal Navy is a good stepping stone for experience and getting to grips with adult life while earning a decent wage. Although life in the navy isn’t what they project and serious thought should be considered when thinking about career in the Royal Navy.
Pros
Travel, money, free dental and medical care
Cons
Long hours, unable to plan life, separation from family, treated like young adults regardless of age until a certain rank.
A life changing career
Petty Officer (Former Employee) –  Plymouth18 December 2017
Spent 23 years in the RN, serving onboard ships around the world safeguarding the UK and the Commonwealth against Terrorism, drugs and serving with our NATO countries.
Also helped organize the training of new entry recruits entering the service for the first time.
Pros
Travelling the world
Cons
Long periods away from home.
Career as a Junior Rate
Leading Hand (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, Devon18 December 2017
To start your military career as a junior rate, in any branch can be quite daunting. This may be due to your age, experience, or maybe even just going away form home for the first time.
I have learnt quite a lot about myself personally and professionally whilst serving, making me the person I am today. I have gained several qualifications along the way both recreational and professional.
The better part is definitely visiting new places, however that can also be seen as the hardest part as you can be away a lot of the time from family and friends.
Forces life
trainee Seaman Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cornwall15 December 2017
Was well looked after and trained team working and various skills given to prepare you for life in the forces. Plenty of opportunity for advancement and training.
Pros
Forces family
Cons
Could be away for a while
Hard to have a life
Engineering Technician (Marine Engineering) (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth12 December 2017
At the start of your career to training and certificates you gain and earn make the navy appealing however after this it is very hard to really progress your career I found.
Pros
free food and dental care
Cons
Bad management and time spent away
Best time of my life
Able Seaman (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire12 December 2017
Had the pleasure of meeting a lot of good people and travelled to places I would never have been able to. great career progression and decent wage, work life balance is a little strained but that is down to cuts
Pros
travel the world
Cons
long periods away
life without limits
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire11 December 2017
it was an enjoyable experience, everyday was different with different challenges.
you had to be able to do parts of everyone job so you are able to share responsibilities.
it was a well divers culture with a group of people from all walks of life.
the hardest part of my job was not being able to help someone in need
but the most enjoyable part was when I was able to help someone
Unreleting
Warfare Specialist Sonar Submariner (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, Devon3 December 2017
I did 6 hours about as I was on what ships called defence watches for months on end with sometimes no end in sight. I certainty don't recommend it to anybody at all.
Pros
Wage
Cons
How long do you have.