Royal National Institute of Blind People Employee Reviews

A Charity that stands for a good cause, clouded by deplorable managment and unsafe practices
Employee (Current Employee) –  London6 February 2019
What the RNIB stands for is great, to give blind and partially sighted people the independence they deserve is amazing. However, this is overshadowed by incompetent management and lack of accountability.

Management at the RNIB have this unreal perception that they can get away with anything. Complaints made by oppressed staff seem to be disregarded by senior management and HR. HR are inherently inadequate, and they know themselves because we have a new HR business partner every 6 months!. The RNIB needs stability, not interim manages that move onto the next over payed job, once they've made a mess at the RNIB. There is a real deficiency of managers that take complaints seriously and choose to sweep things under the carpet - a real example of this is the RNIB Pears Scandal.

There is some deeply routed issues internally at the RNIB, and I welcome the Charity Commissions independent inquiry to find out what's really going on. Staff lower down try to make changes through complaints and grievances, but the RNIB is a failure in acting upon these. The RNIB is unsafe practice, and deserves competent managers to fully support its customers.

The current situation at the RNIB is dire, and the only way to bring it back from the brink is to eradicate the hard nose, self- serving managers and directors who are currently suffocating such an important and influential charity.
Pros
Charity Values and Aims
Cons
Managment
Helpline Advisor (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire25 January 2019
I have worked for the Helpline for over 5 years. This is a great place to work we have fun days and the team is great. All the staff are friendly would recommend to anyone
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
No parking
Consistent and friendly workplace
Helpline Advisor (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire11 January 2019
I have worked within the helpline for over 10 years and have found the helpline to be the best job I have undertaken.
Management are fair and are always on hand to assist when having a query, no matter how busy they are. Benefits are excellent too (up to 30 days holiday + BH) as are the hours in which is usually 9-5 shift. I would thoroughly recommend the organisation as a whole, in which the work life balance is perfect!
Pros
Large holiday allowance
Cons
No onsite car parking.
Micro managed and deluded management
Helpline Advisor (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire12 November 2018
Often would be micro managed terrible effort to support staff racism from above no help and no support
If a stressful job is what your after apply here l!
Management are terrible deluded in the way they work and are very argumentative and selfish.
Would make excuses to push you away and get you out of the door. Very often people would be racially profiled and also pushed out of the door. Very pro white feeling in the helpline
Enjoyable work experince
Sessional Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Coventry6 September 2018
A thoroughly rewarding job role as each day was unique, working with a great team of staff and specialist staff members to provide fun and enjoyment to a number of young people with learning difficulties.
OK workplace, doing invaluable work
Organisation Development and Learning Consultant (Former Employee) –  London30 August 2018
I worked at RNIB for three and a half years and learnt a lot throughout my time there. My experience of the culture was mostly positive and it helped that my team and its work were valued.
Very unfair opportunities
Production Operative (Former Employee) –  Gateshead, Tyne and Wear21 August 2018
Was taken on for two years through agency was promised a job and they took a family member on instead totally unprofessional and in my defence i was considerably better for the job
Pros
Good training
Inclusive work environment
HR Administrator / PA to HR Director (Former Employee) –  London27 February 2018
The atmosphere at work depended a lot on the team I worked with and they made it a fun and rewarding job to do. I liked what I did and the responsibilities I had.
Excellent Staff
Local Society Manager (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire4 January 2018
Worked there for 10 years in 2 different departments. The people at RNIB are brilliant and worked under many really good managers. Constant changes mean you can never settle and little continuity. Communication within the organisation can be poor at times.
Pros
Staff
Cons
Constant changes without proper communication
Productive but not fun workplace
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London25 June 2017
A real and deep seated need to provide support services to blind and partially sighted people keep most people at RNIB much longer than the organisation deserves.

The halcyon days of working hard but also taking time to build working relationships over an occasional office tea party have been replaced with just hard work and silent offices.

I have learned is that even if you work hard, do not clock watch and receiving a consistently high appraisal mark year on year, this does not result in promotion or new opportunities.

Few members of the management team are respected. Even less staff

Workplace culture is to work, work, work and fit in. Putting your head above the parapet could be hazardous.

The hardest part of the job is knowing what a great organisation RNIB used to be.

The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting the people we serve and seeing the positive impact our projects and services have made to their lives and that of their families.
Pros
Staff, canteen, flexi working
Cons
Organisational culture, no progression, management
Lovely people, but chaotic work environment!
Not supplied (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London19 June 2017
The vast majority of people are wonderful to work with, and even those not so wonderful aren't awful either - it isn't part of the organisations culture. Staff really care about the charity and the support it provides to blind and partially sighted people and enthusiastically throw themselves into work.

However, there is constant organisational change which makes it very difficult to be able to implement anything successfully without focus being constantly moved onto the next thing, while still trying to get those almost finished items in place. This makes it a rather chaotic place to work.

If change could be managed more carefully, it would be a fantastic organisation to work for.
Pros
Enthusiasm of staff
Cons
Lack of proper planning at top brings chaos
They had dogs in the office!
Web Administrator (Temporary Contract) (Former Employee) –  London26 May 2017
Which is not surprising given the organisation. But it meant that you could occasionally take a dog for a walk in your lunch break. There was a dedicated and professional workplace culture that was inclusive and supportive.

My role on temporary contract was to update the RNIB site and off-shoot sites as required, liaising with various internal departments to make available approved documents, articles, reviews and other information, often working to deadlines.
Pros
dog walking in Regents Park, good people
Cons
short term contract
Productive and nice place to work
Demand Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Planning Department8 May 2017
Good working environment, helpful staff. flexible hours, good team support. Social gatherings. Very busy, everyday is different and interesting.

Helpful teams throughout the company.
Charity Organisaion
Project Officer (Current Employee) –  West Midlands3 May 2017
charitable organisation across the UK. working with Blind and Partially sighted people; to help them get back into employment, helping them to access services.
okay, not great employers
Rearchivist; Proofreader. (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire27 February 2017
Day at work: flexible
I learnt: how to use soundforge and manipulation of soundwave data; I learn Braille on my own initiative; I learnt how to proofread quickly and accurately to a high professional standard.
The management was too top heavy and unhelpful towards workers. Not able to work at the shop-floor job to the same level as those trained to do it.
The workplace culture was competitive rather than supportive.
The hardest part of the job was ensuring cooperation across teams
The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that my end-product would have a beneficial effect on the end users, that is the RNIB Talking Book and Braille users.
Pros
The job was not too taxing
Cons
The management was too restrictive on the team.
Working from home
sales fundraiser (Current Employee) –  Home Based5 February 2017
ability to work from home within desired hours. Great communication with existing supporters for the charirty. Great Job

Great home based activity
Must be able to work on own motivation
Pros
home based
Cons
working alone
Management/Co-worker
Support worker (Former Employee) –  Redhill21 November 2016
Management was poor and very poor with communications. Also poor communications from the Team leaders. Most staff members where nice but they would leave you out and make you fell uncomfortable.
Hardest part of my job?
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Redhill,Surrey1 September 2015
The Hardest part of this Job role is looking after people that have behavior challenge problems.

The company is good but they are not good at letting you know what is happening with the RNIB or update you.
Exciting experience
Classroom Assistant (Former Employee) –  Middlesex, ENG27 March 2015
Greeting of children, helping and encouraging children to make the most of the day. Through differentiating tasks, staff were all welcoming and informative to different careers available.
A national charity
Redundant since Nov 2013 (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ENG5 February 2014
This charity has now placed budgets to the forefront of their business rather than the disabled people they purport to support.

This change was the hardest part of my role on a day to day basis.

The charity does wonderful work across all age groups but now are a business first and foremost.

My average day was producing and then delivering training courses to university standard, allied to City University London.

The most enjoyable part of my job was the face to face contact with delegates on the courses I ran.
Pros
Great support from colleagues
Cons
Change of direction for the charity