Royal National Institute of Blind People

Royal National Institute of Blind People Employee Reviews

United Kingdom36 reviews
The staff in the office are a great team and we all work well together. It is like one big family who all get on well. It is an honour to work with the team.
It is a good charity to work for. As the leading eye health charity in the UK it is there to empower it's clients and ensure that they are treated fairly by Change in welfare and Government benefits.
It is a leading light in technology and working with big corporations helping them ensure that their products are inclusive.
Worked there for a long time, saw some serious changes in culture. None for the better, went from being a thoroughly enjoyable place to work to being ran by bullies in senior management roles who led the formation of cliques within the staff and showed no interest in supporting those struggling or isolated.

The workers lower down are great, full of good intention, the students are wonderful, the management fail the place massively, far too interested in themselves, the previous principal started the change in culture and the current one is too close to the bullies.
The RNIB does vital work for the sight loss community providina access of talking books counselling and stalls to provide information to the mases. Staff ont he ground are brilliant to work with.
Over worked and underpaid. For the amount of stress involved of meeting targets and achieving unrealistic results it is not work the low pay. This job is best suited for people who have not much else going on in their lives and it takes a up a fair chunk of your day to day life.
Managenent are incompetent and useless and do not listen to people that are actually working with students. They sit in their offices barking orders and hardly ever follow up on complaints. A really high turn over of support staff as they just get fed up of being put on all the time. One of the main bosses is a bully but complaints never go anywhere as she is best friends with the principal. The principal is spineless and a wolf in sheepskin clothing. Office staff who sort out timetables are totally incompetent and just cannot cope. It's hardly got any blind students and takes on students with such difficulties staff cant cope, yet management dont care as its money for them. Never worked with such imbesseiles. Support workers are mainly great and work so hard but just get bullied and not appreciated.
I worked for RNIB for 5 yrs
The one I worked for was Harrogate the management there were superb very rewarding job I loved it

I learned how to hand sign
Good place to go and work.
Everyone welcoming and lovely, always ready to show you or take you to where you need to go etc always someone to talk to
very good place for my work experience, the staff i shadowed were great and made me feel very welcome
Pros
staff
My experience here hasn't been good. Poor management that belittle and patronise. Despite policies noting flexible working this isn't honoured in my department unless you're management. The salaries are shockingly low and there is no chance of pay rises. CEO claims money is tight yet is happy to accept +15k bonuses. Turnover is high, lack of development and poorly maintained head office building. Supposed to be helping blind and partially sighted people but the office is not as accessible as it should be and lack of equipment for some staff to work efficiently.
Cons
poor management, low salary, no progression
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Royal National Institute of Blind People?
I work for the RNIB in Peterborough for 7 years and loved every minute. I only left because my life took me in a different direction. My manager was extremely kind and patient and my colleagues were the best. I miss everything about working there.
Cons
What the RNIB stands for is great, to give blind and partially sighted people the independence they deserve is amazing. However, this is overshadowed by incompetent management and lack of accountability.

Management at the RNIB have this unreal perception that they can get away with anything. Complaints made by oppressed staff seem to be disregarded by senior management and HR. HR are inherently inadequate, and they know themselves because we have a new HR business partner every 6 months!. The RNIB needs stability, not interim manages that move onto the next over payed job, once they've made a mess at the RNIB. There is a real deficiency of managers that take complaints seriously and choose to sweep things under the carpet - a real example of this is the RNIB Pears Scandal.

There is some deeply routed issues internally at the RNIB, and I welcome the Charity Commissions independent inquiry to find out what's really going on. Staff lower down try to make changes through complaints and grievances, but the RNIB is a failure in acting upon these. The RNIB is unsafe practice, and deserves competent managers to fully support its customers.

The current situation at the RNIB is dire, and the only way to bring it back from the brink is to eradicate the hard nose, self- serving managers and directors who are currently suffocating such an important and influential charity.
Pros
Charity Values and Aims
Cons
Managment
I have worked for the Helpline for over 5 years. This is a great place to work we have fun days and the team is great. All the staff are friendly would recommend to anyone
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
No parking
Good environment

Company developing and going through a culture change

Cannot not make judgement as company is going through restructure

Enjoyed working with the team of people
Pros
Reasonable hours
Cons
going through change
I have worked within the helpline for over 10 years and have found the helpline to be the best job I have undertaken.
Management are fair and are always on hand to assist when having a query, no matter how busy they are. Benefits are excellent too (up to 30 days holiday + BH) as are the hours in which is usually 9-5 shift. I would thoroughly recommend the organisation as a whole, in which the work life balance is perfect!
Pros
Large holiday allowance
Cons
No onsite car parking.
Give a wide birth...Bullying .Low morale and just a holding centre for VI centre with no really qualified staff in any posts.
Selling all the assets to stay afloat and as a charity cost more to run marketing than the raise.
Cons
Often would be micro managed terrible effort to support staff racism from above no help and no support
If a stressful job is what your after apply here l!

Management are terrible deluded in the way they work and are very argumentative and selfish.

Would make excuses to push you away and get you out of the door. Very often people would be racially profiled and also pushed out of the door. Very pro white feeling in the helpline
Cons
A thoroughly rewarding job role as each day was unique, working with a great team of staff and specialist staff members to provide fun and enjoyment to a number of young people with learning difficulties.
I worked at RNIB for three and a half years and learnt a lot throughout my time there. My experience of the culture was mostly positive and it helped that my team and its work were valued.
Was taken on for two years through agency was promised a job and they took a family member on instead totally unprofessional and in my defence i was considerably better for the job
Pros
Good training
The atmosphere at work depended a lot on the team I worked with and they made it a fun and rewarding job to do. I liked what I did and the responsibilities I had.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Royal National Institute of Blind People. Our community is ready to answer.
Royal National Institute of Blind People Reviews by Location