Royal Mail Employee Reviews

sorter
Indoor Sorter (Former Employee) –  Hounslow1 April 2018
loved every minute as a mail sorter working night shift was so different and the culture was busy at all time.
management and staff members was great.
there was no hard work
the job was most enjoyable
and learning to read different address
Pros
good break
very good atmosphere enjoyed very much good team work
expostlady (Former Employee) –  London1 April 2018
as above every thing was good very flexible hours good rate of pay.worked asa team very good company to work for lots of opportunities for people of all ages and gender .
Pros
every thing
Archaic Management Principles
Postman (Current Employee) –  Merseyside29 March 2018
If you enjoy being thrown into work with minimal oversight, then this is the job for you.

You'll get virtually no training (as a postperson) and be expected to keep up with people who've been doing the job for decades.

The management tactic is adversarial, and their singular objective is to save money, so they'll try and underpay you constantly, and not advise you correctly that you're entitled to things like mileage money (for going to other offices), travel time, and they'll try to imply that overtime is mandatory, which it evidently isn't.

You'll be on a twenty-hour contract, but it's expected that you'll go over this every day; it's 'unacceptable' that you work part-time, and frankly, the contract you'll be offered is not a reflection of the hours of a normal postperson.

Royal Mail haven't employed a full-time postperson for something like twelve years, so if you want a career -- a mortgage, a car, et al -- then this isn't the job for you. You may get full-time hours, but it won't be reflected in your contract.

It's a job reflective of the growing 'gig' economy, but while it isn't that bad, the job values flexibility (I don't know day-to-day where I'll be, what I'll be doing, and haven't been able to plan anything since I started), temporary positions, poor management attitude, bureaucratic culture of passing responsibility, and minimal job satisfaction.

If you want a job here, my advice is join the union immediately -- they're invaluable, and do not trust that the managers have your best interests (or even Royal Mail's) in mind.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Incompetent/Dated Management
A day in the life of busy Distribution Hall
Deputy Manager (Current Employee) –  Peterborough29 March 2018
Very busy, every day is different with varying challenges, I have an excellent team who are are focused and engaged and enjoy what ever is thrown at them and we deal with it as a team. Our ultimate goal is get the 1c mail out of the door in a a safe manner.
Hardest part of the job is arrival profile of the mail which can put us behind and make us late in dispatching.
Most enjoyable part of the job is working with my team and clearing so customers get the 1st class mail for which they have paid a premium for/next day delivery
Productive and positive
Advanced Customer Advisor (Former Employee) –  Sunderland, Tyne and Wear28 March 2018
Working at Royal Mail was a good job, I enjoyed the job role, the people I worked with and the hours/pay was suitable.
There was some days that were difficult, when having a difficult/complex complaint to work on.
I will really like to forget about it
OPG (Former Employee) –  Medway, Kent28 March 2018
My experience is one that I will really like to forget. Had an injury at work due to Royal Mail's outdated processing methods, and it is a company that likes to avoid its social responsibility towards the employees of the company. Easily the worst job I've ever had.
Highly customer focused
Operational Postal Grade (Former Employee) –  London and the South East26 March 2018
Royal Mail in general terms was and remains a good organisation to work for. I have worked on a number of sites from central London and in Surrey and Hampshire ending my career at a large unit near Heathrow. Over the years I have seen productivity increase due to the implementation of mechanization on a large scale something that seemed improbable when I first joined the business. The opening up of the market to competitors has driven a more customer focused workforce. The main challenge facing Royal Mail is the steady decline in the letter volumes due to other forms of communication, the obvious one being E-mail. The challenge is to compete in the parcels market which is highly competitive although Royal Mail does have the advantage of having in place a network that has local knowledge and infrastructure in every conurbation in the country from the larges cities like London to the smallest hamlet in the Scottish Isles and everywhere in between.
Pros
Good salery and Pension
Well paid, fulfilling job.
Postman (Current Employee) –  Glenrothes26 March 2018
The work is great and is well paid in the sector.

The work life balance is fantastic and has allowed me to follow many of my own hobbies and self improvement.
Pros
Getting fitter
Cons
Dead end
easy and fun work
Parcel Sorter (Former Employee) –  Greenford, Greater London26 March 2018
parcel sorter
easy job
Greenford mail center
Christmas casual
i have learned time keeping,sorting speed warehouse working method learned how postcode work
Pros
free car park
Cons
long standing
Left to your own devices to complete work when outside the office
Postman/Driver (Former Employee) –  Abingdon25 March 2018
Typical day was pretty good. Didn't learn much day to day that i didn't already know as the job is repetitive like most i suppose. Management was good. Hardest part of the job was getting everything in an order and sorting the mail properly before work. Easy part was delivering the mail/parcels.
Pros
Early finish if you put in the work.
Cons
Most the time it's not fair in the office. (Some people doing more than others)
Over all a good company
Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London25 March 2018
Most of the staff are good and understand what is needed.
If your face fits with the higher management you will go far, if not do your best to move unit or area.
Pros
good pay and conditions
Cons
mostly shift work/times
POST WOMAN (Current Employee) –  Putney, Greater London25 March 2018
Great place to work if you are active.
Good for mums as its 9 till 2
You have to work every Saturday which isn't an issue for most as you are finished quite early depending on the walk and how quick you are.
Pension fab
stability in job
Pros
no banks hol working, 9 till 2
Cons
Some offices dont have the best management but if you are looking to progress you could change that.
Good place
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Sunderland, Tyne and Wear24 March 2018
Proper company to work for who values its staff and us family friendly...good pay rates and bonuses and free stamps every Christmas with a card..some of the calls can be difficult but plenty of help on hand
Pros
Wages
Cons
Can be monotonous
Very good workplace.
Postman (Former Employee) –  London23 March 2018
A typical day would consist of me sorting mail and parcels into a structured frame. Separated into roads. Would then separate all the redirections to be sent on. Once completed would collect all timed deliveries. Bundle up work and head out. Work place was good to work at and management was very supportive and positive. I enjoyed working outside, however that had its drawbacks when the bad weather come which was really the only downside.
Pros
Working outside
Cons
Adverse weather
Boring workplace
Christmas Casual Staff (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant22 March 2018
I didn't enjoy working here because my role was rather boring. The management was bureaucratic therefore the process of even the smallest of things like requesting a different shift would take long.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
boring work
Tiring with little reward
Parcel Sorter (Former Employee) –  Wolverhampton, West Midlands22 March 2018
This was just a christmas temp sorting parcels and the best part was i got to work in a group which was fun and i got to make some good friends. However i was working 12-13 hour shifts with only 1 small break.

Also being in a very large warehouse it was extremely cold, the floor being so cold to the point your legs do hurt so shorter but frequent breaks would have been better.
Pros
Made good friends, had fun
Cons
Long hours, short breaks, very cold environments
Misogynistic, outdated culture
Postal Worker (Former Employee) –  Andover, Hampshire22 March 2018
I was very positive about working for RM in the beginning but so disappointed in the experience. The induction day was brilliant but sadly, the live experience was nothing like the trainer had said it would be. Training was poor and I had to rely on my colleagues who would all tell me different things. The management are weak and do very little to actually manage and the culture is outdated, racist, misogynistic, sexist and clique. The only positive for me was being out in the fresh air. The role advertised is very different to the actual job and I had to give firm feedback to management who to be honest, don't really care. I left feeling very disappointed and saddened that these issues aren't being addressed because if they were, it could be a wonderful job.
Pros
Being outdoors
Cons
Culture, management, lack of support
Inclusive culture
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, Devon21 March 2018
Nature of the job can be very demanding, but the call centre environment and Inclusive, supportive and fun culture make it an enjoyable place to work.
Cons
Temporary contracts
temporay work but very enjoyable
Parcel Sorter (Former Employee) –  Llantrisant, Rhondda Cynon Taff21 March 2018
this was fast paced work and i enjoyed being part of the team, everyone had to do their share of the work to make sure that the whole team hit their targets
Pros
good teamwork
Cons
not permanent work
Busy workplace
Christmas Casual Mail Sorter (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire20 March 2018
A very hectic workplace which meant the time went quickly. It was great to come across such a variety of people from differing backgrounds, interests and ages.

Learned to work as part of a team but also was left to carry on with our duties when necessary. The hardest part of the job was when the first class post needed to be dealt with as this was so time crucial.
Pros
Meet some great people from variety of backgrounds, ages etc.
Cons
Working environment chaotic and impersonal. Space at break times was very limited.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Royal Mail. Our community is ready to answer.

51.2K