Royal Mail Employee Reviews

Found 3,256 reviews matching the search See all 3,327 reviews
good place to learn new skills
postal transport tech (Former Employee) –  Watford21 November 2018
learned to change the way they work each year on return its changed again not all ways for the better found if you worked hard the mangers try to reward you with little extra breaks 5 mins here and there to get adrink
Pros
shifts to suit
Cons
sometimes heavy and delays
Christmas Staff
Sorter (Christmas Temp) (Former Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire21 November 2018
I worked at royal mail over the Christmas period my job was sorting mail and parcels i worked the night shift , sadly this job was for only 6 weeks
Relaxed Work Environment
Data Entry/Admin (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh21 November 2018
Systematic and Orderly mannered work.
Fast,fun and friendly working environment.
Better life balance.
Good Management.
Good salary package for the work.
Fun but hard
Christmas Temp (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol17 November 2018
Very good pay, however it is very hard work. Constantly on your feet, expected to push and pull 50kg+ carts. Long hours and continously monitored for theft.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Very hard work
Excellent
Postman (Former Employee) –  Slough, Berkshire17 November 2018
Love the work
Learnt about the sorting and delivery of mails
Good management and team work
Safe and sound working environment
Hardest part of the job was when you had to take big parcels for delivery
Enjoyable part of the job was when you meet people of different culture face to face.
Pros
Good to work
Cons
Extra work was always paid for
Great company to work for
Post Person (Current Employee) –  Dudley16 November 2018
No two days are ever the same at Royal Mail; days can vary in terms of location of delivery and in terms of workload. The hardest part of the job is ensuring that all items are delivered within the required time constraints. But that said, the job doesn't have to be complication, so long as you are organised and work efficiently.
Productive and busy.
PA to Area Manager - Temp Cover (Former Employee) –  Oxford16 November 2018
The day generally had a standard routine unless there were discipline issues to be dealt with. I learnt about Royal Mail structure and how each area interlocks to the remainder of the countries Royal Mail areas. Management were excellent to staff gaining a strong bonds and high retention of staff in all areas of the business. Hardest part for me was to hand back the reins to the original PA after her time away on compassionate grounds.
Cons
Nepotism is a big problem.
Parcel Sorter (Former Employee) –  Wolverhampton, West Midlands14 November 2018
I was there for 4 years. I was promised a contract over and over again and it didn't happen. I was a good, hard worker that saw people that had barely been there for any time given full time contracts. These people just so happened to be related to the managers. Nepotism should not be the reason people are given contracts. We should be judged on merit.

The Union isn't there to help the workers it seems but to help themselves and the company. Complaints were totally disregarded.
Pros
Good working conditions in terms of breaks and work load was manageable.
Cons
Nepotism and corruption at the higher levels, Abuse of 0 hour workers
Royal Mail Cambridge - Job advertised does not exist!
Postman/Driver in June (Former Employee) –  Cambridge14 November 2018
I joined six months ago. INitially it was the dream job. Very soon after, it became a 50 hour week and total shambles. Management (apart from two) are out of it, just trying to get the mail out at all costs.

The business employs part timers to save on full time benefits but I was told, in so many words, that the part time as described in ads does not exist. Pay rate is excellent but you have to go with a begging bowl at the end of each day to get your overtime recorded and paid. Most part timers give up and basically do many hours without getting paid.

The workload is unrealistic. The theory is that you turn up at 09:25 on Mondays and Tuesdays and 09:50 the rest of the week, and go out on delivery straightaway, the mail having been sorted and bundled for you for your walk. You are entitled to 20 min meal break which you never have time to take and so that is lost into the pockets of the employer too!

In practice, you turn up to a frame with a disgruntled permanent full timer who has been with RM a long time. He will resent you for having done all your sorting and bundling, if you are lucky enough for him to have done that. Usually you turn up and have to spend at least an hour doing your own sorting and prepping whilst he moans about being delayed. You finally get out and either bring back a load and get marked as a slow postman or you do overtime which you would have too fight to get paid!

Communicating with managers is pointless as (apart from two) they never respond nor do they even acknowledge. The "Book Room" where you discuss wage issues, holiday sheets etc.
  more... is only open between 09:00 - 10:00 when you are working your socks off prepping or already out on delivery.

The workload is such that you are advised not to speak to customers as that would make you late! Many of my customers loved hatting and many said I was the only person they ever spoke to and yet the business says this is wrong!!

This is the most badly organised, shambolic demoralising place I can think of. And yet it could be a dream job in a dream industry, if it was run properly.
Pros
Fresh AIr, Exercise
Cons
Management, Workload, Approach, Communication, Attitude to staff, Organisation
My experience working at royal mail
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Warrington11 November 2018
The job was fine i used to pick packages and move them to the correct location. The breaks was also good. I learned all of my warehouse skills at this job. The management was great and the environment was always friendly. The hardest part about this job was waking up at 5AM.
Pros
Finished at 2pm
Cons
Waking up early
fast,challenging,hectic,demanding,productive
Cover manager (Current Employee) –  South West London, Greater London11 November 2018
start a day with the check list to of daily task and work load and balance the work load with staff availability..and if you have a extra work turn up without any acknowledgement beforehand,how to get that delivered by using team help...at the same time keep your team happy and motivational and make them feel important by keeping your promises...make sure everyone got treated fairly and with respect..the time management is most important,get everything ready to go out for delivery on time and make sure 100%,checks are done before the staff leaving the premises is the hardest and the most enjoyable part of the job,that makes you feel you have done a great job...and that gives you a relief and joy ...and motivates you to do more and better on coming tomorrow...
Pros
free lunches, petrol, mobile phones, laptops
Cons
unsociable working hours
friendly staff
TEMPORARAY CHRITMAS STAFF (Former Employee) –  slough Langley11 November 2018
I believe that royal mail was an enjoyable experience and all employees there was very friendly. The hard part of the job was finishing early hours the easiest part of the job was working in a team.
Pros
big canteen
Cons
finishing early hours
All dependent on location
Postman/Driver (Current Employee) –  Scotland10 November 2018
I've read, agreed with and experienced most of the situations mentioned in the reviews I've read.
Having worked in six different delivery offices, I can say that the experience of working for Royal Mail massively depends on where you work and who for.
I've been forced/expected to work overtime without pay.
I've also been able to book overtime without supervision or question.
I've worked for fair bosses and people who should not be in a supervisory role!
I've worked with good natured, friendly, hard working posties and some lazy, dishonest, whingers.
It's a great job that's very easy and generously paid.
The organisation/management do cause issues, as do the general public, but where is that not the case?!
If you want to work in this industry, you'll struggle to find a better package, considering the hours and benefits.
Pros
Pay. Early finishes.
Cons
Whingers (colleagues and public!). Saturday working.
Xmas Casual - avoid
Christmas Temp (Former Employee) –  Norwich, Norfolk10 November 2018
After applying for this role, I was invited to attend an interview/recruitment event in Norwich city. I arrived at the specified time to find other applicants here also (it felt like an enrolment day back at college) with lots of people at desks. Upon checking in, there was a very rude and intimidating lady who was asking you what shift you wanted from the board and giving you no time to think about it.I overheard her telling someone this was the 3rd event so it was basically the shifts that were left. This lady was not a good representation for the company with her bad attitude. I then sat down waiting to be seen by someone for the next stage. I was called over by a team member and he started to fill in the paperwork. I asked him if there would be any parking at the workplace and was told there isn’t any. He clearly didn’t work for Royal Mail as he was moaning about how disorganised the place was that day. I decided after all that, to not take the job as it wasn’t worth the hassle. The event seemed so disorganised with rude and unhelpful staff, I would not consider applying to work for the company again. First impressions count, and if you are treated with little respect at a recruitment event, then imagine how you will be treated when you start working there, as a Christmas casual.
Pros
Cons
Waste of money and time travelling an hour for interview
Terrible
Postman (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh9 November 2018
This company is falling apart. They expect you to carry the same amount of packages that you’d need a van for. Your areas are massive and they want you to cover other areas on top. Worst company I’ve ever worked for AVOID.
Pros
Left to do the job
Cons
Bad pay, unrealistic expectations
a fun workplace in a friendly environment
postman (Former Employee) –  Boston, Lincolnshire9 November 2018
the day started off by going in around 6 or 7 in the morning so you could prepare your mail, once you had sorted all your mail out you could go on your round, so you could work to your own time within reason. once you had finished if all the mail had been delivered you could go home. one thing i would say is poor training i wasn't shown any round they just expected me to know where i was going instead of having proper training like other people that worked there. it is a very healthy job keeps you on your feet i was walking around 12 miles a day.
Temporary position Royal Mail Christmas recruitment
Christmas Auditor (Former Employee) –  Ashford8 November 2018
I was temping with the Royal Mail whilst I was looking for a new permanent position. I was part of the royal Mails Christmas period recruitment. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Agency Postal Worker
Agency Worker (Former Employee) –  Doncaster8 November 2018
As agency staff we were treated like second class workforce blamed when things were not done on time . spoke to a senior manager recently who told when they ended the contracts that I was supposed to have been kept on as full time but something went wrong and was not ..
Pros
Plenty of exercise for those who enjoy it
Conference Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Rugby, Warwickshire6 November 2018
Productive and fun place to work.
Excellent rapport with colleagues.
Good rates of pay and generous holiday entitlement.
Good working/home life balance.
Pros
Good rates of pay and generous holiday entitlement.
Cons
location
Productive and Fun Work Environment
Postal Worker (Former Employee) –  Norwich5 November 2018
The work environment was fun and enjoyable. Workers would motivate, laugh and help each other to ensure the work environment was an enjoyable place to be.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Royal Mail. Our community is ready to answer.

51.3K