Royal Mail Employee Reviews

Found 3,159 reviews matching the search See all 3,223 reviews
fun workplace
Parcel Sorter (Former Employee) –  Hemel Hempstead15 August 2018
friendly and understanding bosses, really enjoyed working here as it was fun and always busy it kept me on my feet throughout i would always love to go back to work
Physically demanding. Mentally soul destroying
Postman (Current Employee) –  North East15 August 2018
Been here 9 years now and here's the whole truth. The job itself is easy and very simple however it's so physical and draining and has such an effect on your outside life. I walk roughly 7 miles 6 days a week. Work 5 weeks then a week off and also have 4 weeks annual leave to take but must be when shifts can be covered. In the passed 2 or 3 years I have become so depressed with how exhausted I am, the lack of progression (still part time not full time) and the workload in general that sometimes I can't be bothered with anyone or anything when I come home. It's saddens me that I'm always too tired to play with my kids when I get home, I sometimes don't even want to talk to anybody and even used to hide out the way so I could not take the stress out on anybody. When it comes to Sunday on my day off I'm also exhausted from the week work that I don't really go out for a day with the family. I've been to the doctors a couple times because of the depression and even broke down. This is not a job for the faint hearted, it's very physical and draining and the doing the same thing everyday with no progression, £250 a week as an only income for a family of four is very soul destroying thinking how will we ever afford a mortgage. I can't afford a car either so you can see why the depression lingers constantly. There are positives to the job but they don't seem to make any difference to my mind set. The week off on the 6th week through the whole year is fantastic plus the four weeks annual. The pay for the hours I do is generous (but not enough for a future for my family), some lovely colleagues  more... and customers and getting to know the communities.  less
Pros
Pay for hours, 1 week off in 6 weeks plus 4 annual weeks
Cons
Too many that lead to depression
Work hard but good pay rate
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Preston12 August 2018
Typically sorting mail and moving mail to stations
How much mail gets sent during busy seasons
Keep on top of workload
Everyone typically gets along
Standing up for a long time
The wage and going on a lunch break
Pros
Good pay rate and decent lunch breaks
Cons
Standing up for ages
Well esterblished organisation
contractor (Former Employee) –  Luton, Bedfordshire12 August 2018
You start your work 7am and finish 4pm. main work is deliver parcels and letters. time management is crucial. friendly atmosphere to work in. A lot of concentration is needed in the work place. all the parcels and letters must be delivered. you work as a group make the job very interesting.
Pros
Friendly work place
Cons
must finish delivery
Postwoman (Current Employee) –  Leigh, Lancashire10 August 2018
I love my job at royal mail thanks to my work mates who have great banter in the mornings The job suits my family life and the money is great, and there Is always overtime available if you want some.
Our managers are constantly changing, which is the only downfall at the minute ohhh and them pushing you all the time to do extra which sometimes we cannot do.
Pros
Wage, Work mates school hours
Cons
managment
Good atmosphere, varied (not boring)
Christmas Temp (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow9 August 2018
Although I only worked there as a Christmas casual I did enjoy it,. possibly because it was a new experience. There was variety in the job as I was not left doing one task although it was Christmas and I would be moved to where extra staff were required. I was given good instructions on a any task I had not done before. I felt it was a good atmosphere to work in and have been watching for any vacancies that might come up. I worked in the foreign section so did not experience much of the rest of the other sections but I would say it is well organised where management are fully aware of how everything is progressing. Seeing how permanent employees behaved towards others and how they seemed content at work is a good measure of the type of workplace it is assuming it is the same all year and not because it was the festive season.
Pros
Well organised, good working conditions
Cons
I was only there for Christmas
Easy and fun work place
Christmas Casual (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire9 August 2018
I enjoyed going to work as the salary was good and the management meant that everybody worked at the their full potential which made it fair for everybody.
Great job to learn many things
Paper Boy (Former Employee) –  Stockton-on-Tees, Durham8 August 2018
Overall, my experience as a paper boy was great. I learned many things such as punctuality and communication skills amongst customers and local people
Pros
Receive tips
Cons
Longer hours Saturdays for the same wage
great job
Coder / Sorter (Former Employee) –  Glasgow7 August 2018
moved to relocate and could not get a job to where i relocated otherwise i would still be there.
enjoyed my time there and met lots of lovely people whom i still keep in touch with .
Ok
Priority Services (Former Employee) –  Barnwood7 August 2018
Can get away with murder! Nice enough job, somewhat repetetive and mind numbing but that is some peoples thing. people are very friendly and if you stay long enough there are lots of benefits 5/10 years +
Tough environment
Manager (Former Employee) –  South Coast6 August 2018
It's a very tough place to be as a delivery office manager. There are not enough hours in the day to complete the basic tasks and although I have had a lot of verbal support from my managers, people are sent in to the unit to support but actually just give orders and action plans then leave. This just adds to the pressure and stress.
I love to interact with my team of 70 people and know them all by name. The Union culture is still evident and has resulted in the tail wagging the dog, although I have been able to modify this in my own unit by using my negotiation skills and by listening to the people who actually do the job.
Royal Mail offers excellent benefits but this role is not for the faint hearted. It takes hours more than you are paid for to do the best job possible and to meet the company's expectations.
I have made some great friends through the adversity of trying to do the best job possible and I have become a much better manager by using my own skills and character rather than joining the shouty boss culture.
In short, a defining part of my long management career but not one I have always enjoyed.
Pros
Great sick pay and benefits
Cons
Historic poor management will take years to turn round.
Fun place to work
Operative (Former Employee) –  Midlands4 August 2018
A great place to meet interesting people and to get fit whilst getting paid. Plenty of experience and training to be gained. Progression to management a possibility.
Great place to work.
Various Roles (Former Employee) –  Various locations4 August 2018
I had a career spanning over 34 years with Royal Mail ranging from delivery postman to international consultant and enjoyed the majority of it.
I had various roles during my 34 year career, of which I could right a book about.
productive
Postman (Former Employee) –  harrow ha1 2ed3 August 2018
I was a flexible hard worker for 13 years in royal mail . like to work in a team to achieve the goal. Always obey the instructions of the manager ,.tx
Pros
own lunches
Physically hard, mentally numbing
Postman (Current Employee) –  Great Yarmouth3 August 2018
Physically hard work, and getting harder. Management have been told to cut hours in quietier times but all the burden to placed on part time -new employees. Part time employees only get 25 hours holiday although many work full time hours plus for much of the year.
Pros
Working outside
Cons
Working outside
Bullying culture, exploitation
Postman (Current Employee) –  Essex31 July 2018
The job has changed and requires a lot more walking than I did 10 years of so ago. I really think RM should address this particularly older members of staff. I often see the management exploit the staff particularly new entrance who are promised a job then given a 25 hour contract and placed with a full time postman.They or even the experience staff are not told work related practices or told different stories from managers in relation to meal breaks times to sort travel time, expenses and finishing on time. This is in order to save lots of money and exploit the staff
Someone with 20 or rs experience tend to get the easier round and some with less experience gets pushed from pillar to post generally a longer round sometimes bullied by management to completed.
The mangers use the rule book when it suits pass things off and turn a blind eye if you help them out.
Some staff members often moan about there work loads to the incompetent managers who in turn try and pile unfair work loads onto people.
Often told we have lots of competition from smaller companies when really they are competing with each other, scaremongering tactic.

Some longer serving members of staff believe they are untouchable because of the seniority system which is still in use for certain things.
I am generally only ever told something when i do something wrong instead of telling me in the first place. lack of training if any.
I have lost count how many times I have been threatened bribed or lied to. The holiday system is useless and the sickness system, no consideration is taken as regards to what
  more... you are off until the very last stage when they threaten you with dismissal but have no legal grounds to.

The most enjoyable part of the job some nice customers and staff. Sunny days outside. The hours and money for a unskilled job.
Pros
Hours, uniform. security, sunny days, some nice customers and staff
Cons
Bulling management. disorganised. Excel spread sheet ins and outs £
productive work
Postal Worker (Former Employee) –  Billingshurst28 July 2018
ok place to work, very busy with delivery mail and parcels,
great customers. management not so great.it was a good place to work, but with long days if their was a lot of people of sick
Pros
free stamps at chrismas
A culture of bullying.
Postie (Former Employee) –  Wigston, Leicestershire28 July 2018
I have worked in the Wigston delivery Office in Leicester and experienced a great deal of group bullying, mainly from senior staff.
A pack mentality where your face has to fit for you to be accepted.
It was a very unpleasant environment to work in on a daily basis, the manager is weak and does not deal with issues, either because he cannot or wont. I look forward to him being moved in the future hopefully to a much bigger office where he wont be able to fly under the radar.
If you are hard working with a personality and can stand up for yourself this office is not for you.
To fit in all you have to do is keep laughing out loud at their boring jokes, suck up to the office bullies so as not to become victimized yourself and have a general IQ of 8 as the general topics of conversation are about the level of Primary School age.
Pros
Good Money
Cons
Relentless Bullying
Postman
Postman.Delivering mail/parcels door (Former Employee) –  Nottinghamshire28 July 2018
Sort and Deliver letters.Deliver parcels in van.Hardest part of the job is Management and colleagues not doing the job to process.Most enjoyable part is getting on with customers.
gone downhill fast !
Postman (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester28 July 2018
Physically too demanding ! Did the job 10 years and ended up with a bad back and knees. Management are the worst I have ever worked for and for such a big organisation this is mbt good enough. Wouldn't work for this company again if it was the only job out there! Rather do anything than work for this horrible company again. ROYAL FAIL
Pros
Good pay and early finishes
Cons
Too many to list now ..

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Royal Mail. Our community is ready to answer.

51.2K