Royal Mail Employee Reviews

Good Job, Spoilt by new incentives
Postman (Former Employee) –  Cheadle, Cheshire13 April 2018
Worked as a Postman for 14 years and it was a good job until the final year or so as it became more of a profit making business rather than a service.
Pros
Good (weekly) pay for unskilled labour
Cons
Top-level managment
i worked as floor manager
Floor Manager (Former Employee) –  Harlow13 April 2018
i started at royal mail as agency which involved putting the correct mail in the correct destination container.(air mail)
in 2 years i worked my way up to floor management the job was very time critical as we had flight time slots to reach for the departure of the flights .
communication was very important and i built a very good team
enjoybel ,fast pace
Mail Sorter (Former Employee) –  Bristol12 April 2018
everyone there was nice ther and helped out if u did not get it .ther was lot of maikl to get trough so need to to work harm and fast as possibel to get throu it all
Very challenging at times in a demanding operating role
Delivery & Collections Sector Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Manchester Central12 April 2018
Accountable over the whole 24 hours , 6 day period for all business and commercial targets. A very rewarding job and a great sense in achievement in delivering fantastic results.
Great workforce
Postman (Former Employee) –  Basingstoke, Hampshire11 April 2018
Early start and early finish times.
Easy work.
Easy to learn.
Outdoor work with lots of fresh air.
Good uniforms.
Pension options.
Get to be a part of small groups.
Pros
Early finish
Cons
A lot of preparation for delivery
post woman royal mail
postwoman (Former Employee) –  bristol11 April 2018
Sort prep and deliver mail, having worked for royal mail for 30 years I saw many changes the job especially the volume of mail.the hardest part of the job for me was the amount expected of you, as you get older especially so. The job itself now I would recommend ideally under 40s, or fit under 50s. The most enjoyable part of the job which I miss is the freedom of outdoor work, meeting many people, keeping fit, great colleagues. Royal mail is a great secure job and highly recommended. Most new employees start as part time but there is opportunities to fulltime jobs when they become avaiable.
christmas casual
Mail Sorter (Former Employee) –  Wolverhampton10 April 2018
Responsibilities included covering various indoor roles in a warehouse environment,
unloading mail from vans, moving large volumes of mail around in trolleys, sorting parcels
and letters manually and operating machinery.
Post it!
Collection driver, Collection hub Manager (Former Employee) –  Sheffield10 April 2018
As a collection hub manager it was my responsibility on any given shift to make sure all the post in my sub code area was collected by my team and transported to the nearest Mail Centre to be processed.. That's from pillar boxes, post offices and firms.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Lot's of pressure all the time
fun and fun
Post Sorter (Current Employee) –  Crawley, West Sussex9 April 2018
Good work place. Lots of people to talk. Benefits such as coffee and tea and water. Managers are okay they don't help very much but are good. People also get treated better then others
Ok but not great
Postman (Former Employee) –  London9 April 2018
The management at 90% of the Royal Mail offices is an absolute mess. They work like octopuses trying to deal with 1000 problems at the same time. There is a lack of communication between managers and employees. I was not told that my job had ended. They only said "we will call you when we need you", It's been 2 months and I haven't been called back LOL. The weather is also a negative but that comes with the job. The pros are that they gave employees their rights (unlike Amazon), shifts always finished at 2 or 3pm,
Very good to furhter career
Postman/Driver (Former Employee) –  Bristol9 April 2018
I really liked working for the Royal Mail. I did shift work for 30 years. I took voluntary redundancy. I enjoyed the variety of work. I enjoyed going to the airport every night and loading the planes with mail.
Pros
excellant pay
Cons
Never need more excersice after work
Postwoman (Former Employee) –  Romford6 April 2018
Good company to work for when still young

Very good for culture knowledge

Only telling you rubbish because I have no more to talk about it

thanks, hope this count too.
Pros
paid break
Cons
Weather condation can make it turf.
Good job but gone downhill since privatisation
7.5t Driver (Former Employee) –  Bradford4 April 2018
Good overall job, driving 7.5t vehicles to various depots and customers. Used to drive all over the country but Royal Mails need for change basically changed everything.
Even more so when privatisation came.
Instead of having a company that cares 100% about its customers and its own staff (as it used to do), managers became penny pinchers and some are just completely arrogant/ignorant towards their employees.
I was once proud to wear the uniform but no more.
Pros
Excellent pay for the job (although they are always trying to get more out of you)
Cons
Bad upper management, only care about profit and not staff or customers
very good before major changes
Postman Delivery Officer (Former Employee) –  Woodford4 April 2018
was there for a long time very active atmosphere extremely fast paste quite the learning curve management could have been improved really mixed group of staff
Pros
job and done
Cons
a lot of pressure at times
Fun work environment
Postman (Former Employee) –  Bromley3 April 2018
I like the early starts as this meant that we finished early so having the rest of the day for family and personal life to embrace.
This in summer was a huge bonus
Pros
Early starts
Cons
Poor pay
ok work
Christmas Casual (Former Employee) –  Cardiff2 April 2018
sorting the parcels out into correct postcode areas
sorting the tracked mail out
porting at the end of my shift
sorting the letters into correct areas
Pros
free coffee/tea
Cons
standing for long periods
Very productive and professional
Postman (Former Employee) –  London2 April 2018
I enjoyed working 17 years at Royal Mail. This is a place where you are part of family and have respect to all employees and workers.
Especially the last 5 years (time of Royal Mail transformation - production improvement) I was involved with the World Class Mail team. My team implemented many changes and cut Non Valued Activities in processing.
As a result the changes we made improved productivity and huge savings for the company. Everything I took part in was treated with respect and my role in helping Royal Mail was recognised by many.
I hope my new company will be as good as Royal Mail, if not better.
Pros
I get extra holidays and flexible working hours.
Cons
I had implement changes at other offices of Royal Mail
Poor
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Warrington, Cheshire2 April 2018
i found working for the royal mail horrendous, the mangers spoke down to you and made you feel uncomfortable and never listened to your problems. If you didn't know how to do something you were expected to just do it even if it was wrong.
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
worse workplace
Secure employment
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Plymouth2 April 2018
I worked with the Royal Mail for 15 years. They have excellent relations between management and unions. It is a safe place to work. There are a number of perks including a very progressive attitude by the company in respect of 'Mental Health in the Workplace.'
Pros
Good Canteen
Cons
Work can be repetitive and non-stimulating
Since privatisation R.M has gone downhill.
Postal Worker (Former Employee) –  Isle of Wight2 April 2018
Royal Mail has changed since being privatised. No longer the same . The management are being turned into bullies. Continually harassing and threatening staff to preform above and beyond.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Bullying & Harrassment from managers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Royal Mail. Our community is ready to answer.

51.2K