Royal Mail Employee Reviews

Maol sorter
Christmas mail sorter (Former Employee) –  Bristol15 July 2018
The period of me working here was a wonderful experience in that i learnt the cruciality of delivering items to customers on time. Her majesty post office mail sorting was indeed very important to community especially in delivering items for special people on special days.
Producitve
Picker (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands13 July 2018
A typical day at work would have been arriving on time, changing into the correct uniform to carry out the specific job and then start unloading mail form within the trucks.
Pros
On your feet
Cons
Less breaks
Rm
Delivery Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Bradford-on-Avon13 July 2018
Is now a challage but with most jobs there are good and bad eggs.
My current area has a bad egg and location is a long way from home there are always jobs local but to progres you havbe to move.
Pros
Sallery is OK
Cons
Distance from Home
Amazing
Royal Mail Sorter (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne10 July 2018
Wish I could work there again and leave the NHS such a good bunch when I worked here even if it was for a short time the work was easy the money was good who can complain.
Pros
Amazing place to work everyone is so friendly
Cons
Didnt see a fault personally
Not what it used to be.
Weekend Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire9 July 2018
Not confident in the direction of the business. Very much financially driven these days. This company has enabled me to provide for my family but at the cost of not spending time with them.
Pros
Good rate of pay, annual leave.
Cons
Politics. Culture.
busy
Casual Worker (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh9 July 2018
you are in one place to start with then shifted onto something else and expected to know what to do right away. then there is the scissors you have to sign for in the morning its like a stampede to get onto cutting the bags of mail
Pros
people
Cons
short shifts
top heavy managerial status
Postal Worker (Current Employee) –  Dunfermline9 July 2018
very clique run establishment,favouritism and protection of similar like minded people is rife.not to be recommended,the sooner it looses its Royal seal and is in the hands of a totally private company the better
Study hard at school kids
Postman (Current Employee) –  Bradford, West Yorkshire8 July 2018
Gone from being the best job to do to the worst in such a short time. Its just all about profits now and they dont care how they get them . Management bullying is on an industrial scale. I would hate to be a new starter now as they get so much abuse
Pros
Half Decent pay
Cons
The abuse of staff
Worst place to work ever!
Postman (Current Employee) –  Everywhere7 July 2018
If you like mind numbing boredom and working with idiots, then this is the job for you! You will organised by your accountant sorry meant manager for your daily unachievable workload and criticised by your fellow workmates who are to busy looking at everyone else's work rather then their own. Not only that you will be working in the blazing sun or ice or the rain. I'm stuck here but you don't have to be please keep scrolling through the jobs.
Pros
Cons
Injuries, working with idiots
Productive and a lot to learn
Mail Sorting (Former Employee) –  Hatfield, Hertfordshire6 July 2018
It was based on the fact that my limited time with the company was really impacting than I anticipated. Both the hours and workload were minimal to compare most other companies
Pros
Not really
Cons
Nope

Want to know more about Royal Mail?

Ask a question
Productive and can be hard work
Postman (Former Employee) –  Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire5 July 2018
Enjoyed my time there even if it was for a short period....Saturday job only. People there were great and very helpful, management were well spoken and always acknowledged you. Would defo go back.
Pros
Out and about....good wage
Cons
N/a
A good first job
Christmas Casual (Former Employee) –  Patchway5 July 2018
I enjoyed the experience and I would do it again .Worked on the Christmas rush at the main sorting office in Filton Bristol.
Duties ranged from sorting, through to building transport boxes for various packages.
Fast Paced Working Environment
Mail Sorter (Former Employee) –  Derby5 July 2018
to comment about this company, is very difficult because, I worked there for a short period (November to December, Christmas job). but it was an amazing experience everyone was so welcoming and greet-able.
Pros
Good salary
Productive work place
Postman/Driver (Former Employee) –  London4 July 2018
Worked for them for 18 years and throughly enjoyed being part of their team.
Made lots of good friends over the years and it was a great place to work and be part of the team.
Postal Sorter
Postal Sorter (Former Employee) –  Wolverhampton, West Midlands3 July 2018
I really enjoyed my time with Royal Mail as the hours an working environment suited my skills set. It provided me wit an insight in a company with large numbers of staff. It was a shame that it was only a temporary role.
Pros
Working with different people, gaing experience
Cons
Lack of training
Professional and enjoyable
Christmas Casual (Former Employee) –  Exeter1 July 2018
I worked in the warehouse, sorting parcels and letters by post code. It could be kind of boring sometimes but you can bring headphones and play your own music which is really nice.

Being on your feet the whole time can be a paid so make sure to wear comfortable shoes.

The people are really friendly and there's a canteen with a restaurant that functions Monday to Friday, not just vending machines.

I had the Christmas temporary weekend job that was great for a little extra money over the holidays and there was room for overtime which was great, and being away from customer service was a nice break.

Only downside was that people would throw the parcels over your head into the correct containers which wouldn't be good for someone who's very flinchy or nervous.
Pros
Good pay, bring your own music, dont have to talk to anyone
Cons
Lots of throwing
typical day
LGV Driver (Former Employee) –  Swindon30 June 2018
check your vehicle
load the cages
get to your destination safely and in a timely manner
unload and reload
back to your destination
refuel vehicle
finish
Pros
easy job
Cons
i was only an agency driver
Not recommended if you want to get paid for the hours you work.
Postman/Driver (Former Employee) –  East Midlands29 June 2018
My experience was not great and I note many other reviews signal the same problems for new starters as I had. Poor management who put upon new staff and refuse to pay you for the hours you work. The 25hr contract is just a ploy to keep their costs down and you I can guarantee you will not get paid for all the hours you put in in any given week, if my experience is anything to go by.
The people you work with will vary between nice and helpful to some oddballs and some who you would not want to meet again under any circumstances ( not necessarily managers, some of whom were decent.).
In summing up, the culture at Royal Mail is very much looking after the longer serving staff. My manager used to joke about how long new staff lasted, sometimes only days before they left. Sad but true. A lot will depend on what office you end up at and if your face fits.
Pros
Good wage for a unskilled job and great in the summer usually.
Cons
New staff exploited.
hard labour
Postal Worker (Former Employee) –  sheffield29 June 2018
was a nice job until the revision changed the company. a typical day at work was overloaded with work. the best part of the job was communicating with customers .
Best
Postman (Current Employee) –  Wimbledon, Greater London28 June 2018
Excellent place to earn money easily but difficult thing is need to start wrk early and as a postman need to walk atleast 11-15 miles per day.....other than this excellent job

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Royal Mail. Our community is ready to answer.

51.2K