Royal Mail Employee Reviews

Could do with getting decent equipment and reliable vans
Postman (Current Employee) –  Greenwich, Greater London30 January 2018
This is a major company that does well but still needs to improve and supply better tools to work with also have to be more alert to stay ahead of its major rivals
very good job, great pay , profesional company .
Postman/Driver (Former Employee) –  Bolsover, Derbyshire29 January 2018
great job , professional company , put pay rates on a part time scale ! great for fitness walking up to 8 miles per day , meeting customers on a day to day basis ,delivering an important service .
Pros
pension, fitness
Cons
long walking, early starts
Physically demanding at times
Mail Sorter (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire29 January 2018
Although the work in itself was very straightforward, we were often very pressed for time, if not running behind.

Organisation could have been improved.
Pros
Cons
Lack of communication
Postmen are happy people
Postman (Former Employee) –  Lancing, West Sussex29 January 2018
Was A1 company in 1988 now privatised not so good. Pension and pay a serious issue with staff. Still number one provider in delivering the goods.Letters and parcels
Pros
Holidays.Pay.
Cons
Working extra for no extra pay
A laugh with the guys
Postman/Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Harrow Delivery Office28 January 2018
Prepare the walk for the day's work having a banter in the depot before setting off. Having a laugh whilst working. Hardest part is working in the torrential rain trying to keep the post dry and myself and ice, avoiding slips and trips. Most enjoyable is the freedom of the road and meeting new people every day
Pros
Being in the outdoors exercising
Cons
The winter weather
Intense & non stop!
Postal Delivery Officer (Former Employee) –  Poole28 January 2018
When i was with Royal Mail,like with all jobs there were pressures. but we had a good atmosphere & banter with the staff in the office. The hardest part of the job was the delivery side,very physical work.
Great Company to work for. Met friends for life
Postman / Management (Former Employee) –  London-UK28 January 2018
Teamwork was a strong part of everyday as it was crucial in getting the job done. Fast paced job to meet deadlines and deliver excellence to internal and external customers. Social events throughout the year with friends and family concreted a team bond. Once was a job for life.
Pros
Good working relationships with peers.
Cons
Can't think of any
workplace
Casual Mail Sorter (Former Employee) –  Birmingham26 January 2018
i enjoyed working for royal mail but only issue is pay which was terrible. Royal mail was very busy while i was working for them.The staff where very friendly.
Pros
poor pay
Cons
no long hours
Productive and fun workplace
Mail Sorter (Former Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent26 January 2018
In the mail sorting office at Royal Mail you were required to sit at your computer and sort all of the incoming mail into the different area codes and locations to which they belong. This was generally an easy job as it was very repetitive and time went quite quickly. The hardest part of this job would simply remembering the different keys which would need to be used on each piece of mail.
Prouctive and Fun workplacd
Christmas Casual Mail Sorter (Former Employee) –  Warrington26 January 2018
Great managment, very good place to work. Short breaks this year but I did enjoy working there. Easy work during the night shift. Was a pleasure working for this company
good workplace
Parcel Sorter (Former Employee) –  Atherstone, Warwickshire26 January 2018
only worked there for a short while over the chirstmas break but it was good and played well lovely people and would definately take another job there
Pros
good break and holiday pay
Cons
Employer commited to welfare and safety
Quality and Customer Product Lead (Current Employee) –  National25 January 2018
a typical day in the field of Quality and Customer continuous improvement and quality assurance each day presents problems to be solved and learned from. I have learned the importance of working to robust standards and guidelines. Also by managing the processing of Royal Mail's vast product portfolio the value of keeping these products compliant, fair and marketable. the workplace culture is one steeped in tradition and brand strength. hardest part of the job is getting to grips with the fact the business is a 24 hour operation and improvements and changes have to be made in parallel with a day to day operation that cannot stop. the most enjoyable part of the job is the people aspect - where frontline colleagues can influence change.
Pros
working for a brand leader
Cons
Long hours and a high pressure environment
Great mangers and joyful
Mail Sorter (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands25 January 2018
Great company, everyone gets along with each other. I learnt that if you have a good environment around you do work will get done quicker and to high standers
Pros
Cons
not enough hours
Parcel sorting
Parcel Sorting (Former Employee) –  Atherstone25 January 2018
Most days I would work in a group of four sorting Royal Mail parcels into trolleys of different postcodes. These trolleys would then be taken to a secondary sort where parcels were placed into trolleys to be dispatched to individual depots around the country .As well as the primary sort I also spent several days on the secondary sort. I also did three days sorting letter post to Birmingham postcodes
Learning different postcodes and the way that parcel mail was handled was an eye opener, as I had not given much thought to this prior to working with Royal Mail.
The management was very friendly and helpful and were always willing to give guidance where necessary.
There was an emphasis on accuracy in sorting, Miss-sorts caused problems not only to time but to individuals on the secondary sort. Personal protective equipment was mandatory. We were also made to wear ID badges.
The hardest part of the job was sorting parcels with no postcode or illegible postcodes.
The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting and working with new people in a clean friendly environment.
Pros
Good atmosphere
Happy fun work place
Mail Sorter (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands25 January 2018
Really good environment safe happy
Friendly staff busy work environment
Lovely staff
Great work can be tiring but happy to work happy
................
Ok
Process postman (Current Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire24 January 2018
OK place to work. No real reward scheme or training opportunities. They look after their shareholders and this is obvious as an employee. Redundancies are made frequently.
Productive and acuraccy
Postman (Former Employee) –  Hounslow and Cobham24 January 2018
Sorting mail into frames from the boxes handed to each frame every day, then sort mail and parcels into bags or frame for roads and areas. pick up our bag and mail for the job, fill up our frame and then collect specials and Tracked as well as the pda system, then go to the van check it over, then fill it up with our bags of mail and parcels.
We drive out to our destination, I deliver early parcels then deliver mail and we work together to cover areas. I learnt customer service and learnt to help and describe every question asked with politeness.
We all worked together to get the sorting done in a respectable time we all got on and worked hard and always willing to ask or answer questions and helped each other if someone was finding there job hard. Helping the community and getting the right mail and parcels to every destination was very important and to treat people equally both at work and outside.
Pros
Plenty of overtime
Cons
Weather was tough on occasions
awfull
Postman/Driver (Former Employee) –  Stockport23 January 2018
very intimidating to work for and very stressful .management inept,don`t bother getting the lazy ones to work up to standard just delegate to those who can for the same money
Pros
Cons
the whole workplace culture
Good secure job
Advanced Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Barnsley23 January 2018
Was a good secure job, benefits within the company were amazing. Training and help was amazing. Colleagues were friendly and great to work with and get along with
Not great
Mail Sorter (Former Employee) –  Slough, Berkshire22 January 2018
It was an as and when needed job that I was relying on so I didn't have enough shifts to pay the bills. For weeks at a time, I would have nothing. I enjoyed meeting new people and the fact they take people on although they have no experience.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Royal Mail. Our community is ready to answer.

51.1K