Royal Mail Employee Reviews

Good
Christmas Casual (Former Employee) –  North Shields1 May 2018
Decent job. A typical day required us to sort post sacks into first and second class, keep the area clean and divide letters into groups. The management were very nice, and the workplace culture was overall friendly.
Pros
Short shifts
Cons
Getting to the place of work
Fun to work at
Packing/Dispatching operative (Former Employee) –  Pellon1 May 2018
Had some good times working with the staff during my time here, i always worked to the best of my ability and was always polite and respectful of the staff who worked there, they always looked out for me and helped me if ever i needed them to
Pros
Free cantine
Cons
Late nights
Excellent company to work for
Manager (Current Employee) –  Norwich, Norfolk30 April 2018
An excellent company to work for. I learned excellent management skills data analysis and how to manage people. Management is good able to provide excellent support and encouragement. Excellent opportunities to earn money and progress your career
Pros
6 - 1400 working shirft paid lunch breaks
Fast paced environment
Postman/Driver (Former Employee) –  Salford, Greater Manchester29 April 2018
I enjoyed my time working for royal mail.
I must admit i didn't enjoy posting letters in the snow and the rain and the cold weather along with being chased by the many dogs in salford.

I did enjoy being the pillar of the community in Salford and getting to know the residents of salford, all really nice decent people.
Pros
finishing early
Cons
bad management and walking 15 miles a day in the rain
Revenue Officer (Former Employee) –  Hounslow, Greater London29 April 2018
Driven team environment. Full training given for all new jobs. Nice and friendly place to work, good staff moral and management are easy to talk to if a problem arises.
Fun place to work
Mail Sorter (Current Employee) –  Carlisle28 April 2018
The is a strong sense of community when you work for Royal Mail. People are friendly and very welcoming. The job is varied and there of lot's of opportunities to progress within the company.
Pros
Well paid
Cons
physically demanding job
A very early start to the day.
Postman (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London26 April 2018
I loved the people I worked with but the early starts were a shock to the system as I was living at home with my parent's and living a typical young man's hectic nightlife. The money was great but 4am was an early start for any budding Londoner!
Pros
Good salary/pension
Cons
Early shift.(5.30am)
Monotonous daily routine
Postman/Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  irlam depot25 April 2018
If you want to work inside a strange workplace with strange colleagues in a strange atmosphere then this ticks ALL the boxes.

Management is inept & lacklustre, workforce are militant, malicious gossip mongers and very cliquey. Horrible atmosphere in depot.

Training is inept. ( Not how its described and put across in the induction at head office ) 2 days delivering on small 2 street round and back to depot for instruction videos,
Then put out on 10.5 mile round with full HCT with trainer for 1 day and left to fend for myself after that.
They're just interested in getting as many bags of mail and parcels delivered at any cost daily as they possibly can.

Money is garbage ...part time work only...dont forget its pro rata....No One gets to be full time operative anymore, Company making money off you hand over fist!

Blisters galore because they never ordered appropriate footwear for me for 3 weeks. Atrocious!

Start off as a Lemming.... Become a Zombie...Timescale 4 weeks!

And then there's the good old british weather...Glad i left.
Pros
Realising there's better jobs out there
Cons
horrible workplace & staff
management idiots, watch your back
Postman (Former Employee) –  Cambridgeshire25 April 2018
stay away!
this used to be a good job and a job for life, but alas now the phrase 'over worked and under payed' is the norm!

management are worse than useless and is generally made up by former postman that werent very good at the job!

the other people you work with is so varied that you are bound to make new friends as well as a couple of enemies!

pay isnt too bad but as every year goes by you are needing to be fitter and fitter to get things finish!

the union isnt worth the money as is made up of staff desperately trying to climb a promotional ladder within management, ironically!
Pros
indoor outdoor
Cons
idiots
fun place to work
Christmas temp (Former Employee) –  nine elms25 April 2018
this was only a Christmas job for me but meet some amazing people was really fun and really enjoyed my time here it has a great environment and the managers are amazing
Pros
great management
Cons
late nights
Organised Chaos
Mobile Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire25 April 2018
The company as a whole is old fashioned and backward. Lots of unessarcy middle management and not enough post people. Lots of managers sit around delivery offices drinking and chatting but not out helping the often under staffed posties. Lots of the Delivery offices are old and not really fit for purpose, Toilets with plumbing issues is not uncommon. There is a Royal mail facilities department who do their best to rectify issues but are under staffed and under resourced. When one long standing employee leaves they are usually replaced with a part time operative.
Pros
Bank holidays off and paid for, not deducted from annual holiday entitlement.
Cons
No support from middle management, disorganised company.
Training? What training?
Area Cover Manager (Current Employee) –  Swansea, Swansea25 April 2018
Sink or swim job, if you aren't promoted within and don't know a lot about Royal Mail then you're in trouble - expected to know everything in a very short space of time with literally no training
Pros
Hours
Cons
Blind leading the blind
harder work than everyone imagines
Postman (temporary) (Former Employee) –  Birmingham24 April 2018
Being a Postman is a good job but the pay isn't as good as everyone seems to think. It can be really hard in the winter and I thought it was a myth about dogs chasing postmen...i found out the hard way!
Pros
Early finish
Cons
Poor pay
Management Nightmare
Postman/Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh20 April 2018
I think this job is fantastic and well paid.
Delivery Routes mean you get to know people on delivery rounds who help you out and keep you entertained on delivery.
Very few chances to develop yourself, learn new skills or for promotion. Micro-management is a major issue. Not a day goes by where a manager isn't trying to change something, ask a favour. It is quite a simple job. Same thing day in, day out. Does not require intense management.
Worked there less than 15 years? Bottom of the pile and getting bounced around instead of being left alone to do your job.
Pros
Best hourly wage for industry
Cons
Power hungry managers, desperate to not be in delivery.
Not for the faint hearted
Postman (Current Employee) –  Shropshire and Essex20 April 2018
This job is harder than you'd think. You need a very strong character to deliver mail in all weathers and summer isn't the dream job it appears to be.
But if you can drive yourself forward through the toughest conditions, you can feel well rewarded. The salary is good for unskilled work. The camaraderie is second to none. You get to interact with a plethora of different characters in the general public.
Management is the same wherever you work. Royal Mail's ethos is getting better and they are trying to move the company forward. But individuals will always be the stumbling blocks of progress.
Each day is both identical, but completely different at the same time. The basics never change; receive the mail, sort the mail, prepare your walk, deliver your walk. But so many things can make each day a fresh challenge. From change of duty to equipment failure, differing weather conditions to your own mood and sense of self. Whatever the issues, the mail MUST get through.
I took the job as something to get me through the summer until something else came up. Thirteen years later I'm still looking, but this job has been my longest with any employer for a good reason. It fitted in with my life well and Royal Mail have been my best employer to date.
You'll lose weight, get a great tan with lots of white bits and who knows, you may just enjoy it?
Pros
Free stamps, free mail redirections, free excercise and free fresh air.
Cons
Wind and rain combined.
Target oriented competitive was exciting.
Mail & Parcel Sortation (Former Employee) –  Greenford, Greater London19 April 2018
Being in a company of many different departments, work or procedures are never the same. So it was exciting to learn about the new procedures. Set up of different departments, though similar were different, and only found out the reason/s was level of security. Management was friendly and conscious about the safety aspect of handling the work.Staff culture was friendly and always greeting each other when ever our path crossed. The hardest part of the job was not getting enough training and being moved from one dept., to another at a very short notice. The most enjoyable part for me while being in charge of training / mentoring a new recruit, though I myself was relatively new.
Pros
Always being busy
Cons
Working extra hours at extremely short notice
Sorting office/walks
Royal Mail Sorter (Former Employee) –  Belfast City Centre, County Antrim19 April 2018
Was at royal mail tomb street belfast mostly on nights sorting belfast central mail and central firms and when needed was out in walks on tomb street in belfast or northern ireland
Hard work but rewarding
Company Secretarial Assistant - Board Support (Former Employee) –  London18 April 2018
I spent 27 years in Royal Mail working from admin to Junior Manager and virtually all departments.

The last nine years i worked in the Company Secretary Office helping to prepare board papers.
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
Long Hours
Work Place
Postman (Current Employee) –  Chesterfield17 April 2018
Whilst working for the Royal Mail, I personally enjoy my work life balance, the people I work with and also the customers I get to meet and greet on a day to day basis.
Not great
Customer Advisor (Former Employee) –  Belfast, County Antrim17 April 2018
No training, long hours with little to no breaks, very sketchy management with no one really knowing who is in charge, or having anyone capable of dealing with situations which arise in the work place.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Royal Mail. Our community is ready to answer.

51.2K