Royal Mail Employee Reviews

Found 3,252 reviews matching the search See all 3,324 reviews
Stay away
Postman (Former Employee) –  Saint Helens13 January 2019
Typical day was sorting mail and parcels into route order prepping for delivery. Then doing for about 5 hours outside sounds simple but then you have line managers and office managers bullying you to work over your hours to get your round done which some days when busy is impossible if you do the job correctly using trolleys taking allocated breaks starting on time .a lot of workers start early for no pay just to get the job done on time because fear of management putting pressure on.company is on a mission to get rid of fulltime staff so they can be replaced with 24 hour contracts .management even allocate your holidays for you with staff regulary having leave days stolen. morale in the office is rock bottom .procedures are only followed when it suits management.health and safety only applies to postmen and not to managers .in the last couple of years recruited managers from manchester/ bolton/ wigan .all with big egos and dishonest people.
Pros
Outdoor working
Cons
Bullying managers dishonest culture
Good job with some annoying twists
Delivery Person (Current Employee) –  Cb112 January 2019
I love the people I work with and the job of delivering the mail is perfect for me, it's outdoors and keeps me very fit, along with being able to interact with the public which I love doing. On the negative side though, there is little organisation here and no attention from management at all. At the end of my 1st week, I had mo idea who my manager was, no idea when my days off were going to be, no uniform, and no proper training on anything. I have asked about all of these things but nobody knew the answer so I gave up asking and sorted out my own stuff. It really is so bad in terms of organisation.
Pros
Great job, working outdoors, keepong fit and working with some amazing people
Cons
Management don't have much to do with new people
workplace
POSTMAN-DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Mildenhall11 January 2019
Workplace chaos . To much asked of you. Rounds too big. Policies and procedures never followed. would not work for this company again . Privatisation has ruined this company.
Pros
hourly rate
Cons
various issues
Started off fun
Duty Senior Manager Security (Former Employee) –  Slough, Berkshire10 January 2019
Was a good company to work for when I started, business got taken over and new management came in and things slowly changed for the worse. I don't think this company would suit everyone.
Reasonable salary - Very hard physical work.
Postman (Former Employee) –  London9 January 2019
I believe this company is on the decline regarding working conditions and salaries. Since going private they expect staff to work more hours however as it is a very physical job there is only so much a human can do in a day.
Pros
Security
Cons
Out in all weathers
a fair workplace
Parcel Sorter (Former Employee) –  Atherstone8 January 2019
Can get very bus, Can have a laugh, Can get on with management. Very reasonable people. hardest part is getting up to speed and remembering all the postcodes and where they go. Break time is the best where you can sit down and relax and talk to friends/work colleagues as phone and internet signal is very good.
Pros
It's a relaxed environment.
Cons
Skin can dry out and get paper cuts.
work
Allowance Officer (Former Employee) –  Girobank7 January 2019
A good place to work , good job prospects , very good pay , good leave , enjoyed every minute of my work at royal mail even in the early days delivering letters
poor
Postman (Current Employee) –  Carlisle, Cumbria7 January 2019
I prep mail and parcels ready for delivery. Load the van in order. I collect all speical delivery items for that day. make sure i have correct foot wear and clothing. van checks are carried out daily. Alot of cut backs of staff so this makes jobs longer and out longer. there is alot of pressure on staff from management.
Disorganised
Casual Worker (Former Employee) –  Swindon7 January 2019
Disorganised workplace.

Permanent employees not managed and get away with laziness.
Favouritism is rife selecting agency employees to work especially at weekends, whereas the agency workers are supposed to be in a pool and equal.
Pros
nice lunches
Cons
ineffective management
A fun but challenging role
Postman/Driver (Current Employee) –  St Albans, Hertfordshire7 January 2019
It is a time of change at Royal Mail with more demands placed on postpeople with a decline in letters. Lots is expected of you outside of your job role
Pros
Indoor and outdoor
Cons
Long hours, inconsistent management
Mail sorting
Mail sorting (Former Employee) –  Bristol6 January 2019
We had to sort out many posted letters and put them in category of which city area or country it must go to. There were usually a lot of posters and letters coming into.
Pros
Very easy to do
Cons
Very tiring
mail delievery
Postman/Driver (Former Employee) –  Southend6 January 2019
worked as a postman and postman higher grade both jobs i enjoyed
loved being out in the fresh air and driving post van
only left because office was closing
Pros
execise
Cons
early mornings
productive
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Wolverhampton6 January 2019
hardest part was moving the yorks to the dispatch area, a typical day will include you being on your feet for 4 hours before having a break sorting parcels and packages.
Management a joke
Postwoman (Former Employee) –  Waterlooville, Hampshire4 January 2019
Worked 25hr contract. Full timers resented me coming in at my proper time as they had to prepare the mail for me and generally moan about part timers. I was trained well and taught to use a trolley, however, others again resented this, as to do the job properly was slower than those who rush (and make mistakes and fudge the system, i.e. not getting signatures etc). Management then said that there was an expectation that I come in early to prepare mail. All management care about is getting the mail out.....don't care about the staff. No time to do the job properly or have 20 min meal break. Sadly most staff will race around to get the job done - not enough time allocated, unrealistic expectations. Management are weak. If you have high standards this is not the place to work.
Pros
Good hourly pay and uniform
Cons
Dreadful organisation.. no consideration for staff.
nice
Warehouse Operative (Current Employee) –  Atherstone4 January 2019
great pay, enjoyable work, lovely people that work down there the only problem is how you aquire and the lack of shifts you recieve ghey get some many people in the y have to cancel people so the other people can work they are just employing for the sake of it and shifts are on a first come first served basis and is ahrd to even get a single shift as i rang up and was on hold for 5 minutes and when i finally got through i was told there was no shifts avaliable and to try again next week and you also have to work a week in hand everytime not just the once like other places so i can go two to three weeks without being paid at a time and its getting too much
Pros
good pay
Cons
no shifts
Parcel sorter- temporary night time shift role (Former Employee) –  Skelmersdale3 January 2019
Salary was very good for a night time role and job was easy to do and instructions where given very clearly. Staff very friendly and understanding that was a night time role so may be tired at times. Gave free drink vending machines also
Night work at HWDC, Langley
Mail processor (Former Employee) –  HWDC, Langley1 January 2019
Good money, fixed shifts so very family-friendly. I worked nights. Repetitive work and very disengaged workforce. Unqualified, arrogant and ignorant managers who don't know how to talk to workers. I worked Early shift in 2016 for a few months. Very professional managers. Bad management is limited to only night shift as other shifts are OK or as in case of Early shift, excellent. I left because of bad management on Nights although almost unlimited overtime made the pay more than desirable. Some people make over 40k after overtime. Good monthly bonus (around £100). Hardest part of the job was managers bossing you around. Most enjoyable part was teamwork. Unfortunately I had to leave as the unprofessionalism of managers literally started giving me nightmares. My sanity is most important to me.
Pros
Good pay, fixed shifts.
Cons
Bullying and unprofessional managers on Night Shift
Great first Job with lots of responsibilities
Postman Higher Grade (Former Employee) –  Waltham Cross, Essex1 January 2019
Worked for Royal Mail for 13 years delivering to the general public around Hertfordshire and Essex. Over the tenor of my time in Royal Mail I had done night work become a postman higher grade done various courses in management and had a lot of responsibilities placed on my shoulders
Pros
Great benefits and social culture
Challenging at times rewarding
Line Manager (Current Employee) –  Ashford, Kent29 December 2018
Resourcing due to coverage issues either by sick or annual leave dealing with complaints and KPI's.
A stable management team which can work well together.
Pros
Onsite parking
Cons
No progression opportunities
Friendly.
temp (Current Employee) –  Croydon, Greater London24 December 2018
Friendly working environment to work for and staff were very helpful to the christmas temps. Would recommend to anyone to work here who live close by, or someone who is willing to travel here to work here.
Pros
excellent payment
Cons
Only one month work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Royal Mail. Our community is ready to answer.

51.3K