Royal Mail Pay & Benefits reviews

An absolutely appalling place to work
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  UK25 September 2018
Constrained by unions and stuck in the dark ages. They even call the kitchen a 'mess room'.

Its still a macho military atmosphere where bullying and politics prevail. No one is interested.

Postman don't want to be posties and managers are only interested in doing whatever it takes to fudge the figures.

Lied to from day one on salary and benefits.
Pros
Cons
Plenty
I enjoyed my job at royal mail ,i didnt want to leave ,my manager emailed all of the offices in thedurham and gateshead areas ,but no vacancies were a
Postman (Former Employee) –  Hayling Island, Hampshire24 September 2018
Id like to find another job at royal mail to make new friends, it was a good company to work for andthe employee benifits were good, i also was lucky enough to do an advancd driving coarse, overall i found thejob worthwhile and was proud to work there
Pros
Good pay and benefits
overal good
Mail Sorter (Former Employee) –  Chester21 September 2018
grand to work for, good wages, easy job considering the wage packet offered. good holiday allowance. good packages for perks and easy job to do with little experience needed.
great job
Postman (Former Employee) –  letters, UK17 September 2018
great place to work with benefits of a good workout. early mornings with lots of walking involved, great if you want to keep fit whilst being paid for it.
Amazing short term job
Christmas Temp (Former Employee) –  Exeter, Devon14 September 2018
This short term Christmas casual employment was not only well payed and professional but also enjoyable as the people there are very welcoming and converstational. Overall a great work opportunity.
Pros
Hours are available for all types of people
fun and a great worklife balance
Postman (Current Employee) –  Wolverhampton, West Midlands13 September 2018
Great job with great benefits. Ideal for people who want part time hours to work around children and families. Would highly recommend. Pension and working facilities are 10/10
Forced over time lack of support
post person (Current Employee) –  Paisley, Renfrewshire10 September 2018
Alot of being told what you can and can't manage.
Bullied into over time by management made to feel bad if you can't. Forced over time on large untested walks.
No breaks of you want to finish in time and then you have to to be paid the money for over time
Pros
Get fit
Cons
No full time, no breaks every day is a fight with management
Postman is not easy
Postman (Former Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire2 September 2018
Working for royal mail was not great.They do not give you full time work unless you have been there over 2 years.This I found out early on.The money I was getting was very poor so had to look elsewhere.
Pros
good for early risers
Cons
poor salary no ful time work for 2 years from starting
A good and fair employer.
Postal Delivery Officer (Former Employee) –  UNITED KINGDOM29 August 2018
As a company Royal Mail offers all employees a good place to work in an organisation which provides stability and a work life balance plus a good salary package and above all equality.
Pros
Opportunities to progress
Cons
Management issues
Leave any Moral in the bin before you enter
Postman (Current Employee) –  City Bristol27 August 2018
shocking management,bullying culture.long hours no breaks.
pressured into overtime
,if you refuse,they sulk and ignore you.If your part time they tell you to do overtime,its in your interest if you want to go full time
Pros
Cons
long hours without a break
good working atmosphere
Postman/Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Bromsgrove22 August 2018
multi drops and collecting post, good physical exercise and gained good friendship with work colleagues. good pension. can be tiring work especially in winter months
Pros
good physical exercise
Very nice place to work at
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Wolverhampton, West Midlands22 August 2018
Very nice place to work at. has a lot of benefits from good lunch breaks and prayer rooms for different cultures.
has a good management team who help each person with the job in hand..
Pros
good work load
Work place
Postman (Former Employee) –  Fleetwood, Lancashire20 August 2018
I ma currently employed at Blackpool Pleasure Beach,as a catering assistant.
This involves food preparation,serving drinks,keeping the kitchen and food preparation area clean and to a high standard of hygiene when on duty,working weekends and shifts.
I am therefore used to working shifts and weekend and used to working long hours.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Long hours and weekends
Physically demanding. Mentally soul destroying
Postman (Current Employee) –  North East15 August 2018
Been here 9 years now and here's the whole truth. The job itself is easy and very simple however it's so physical and draining and has such an effect on your outside life. I walk roughly 7 miles 6 days a week. Work 5 weeks then a week off and also have 4 weeks annual leave to take but must be when shifts can be covered. In the passed 2 or 3 years I have become so depressed with how exhausted I am, the lack of progression (still part time not full time) and the workload in general that sometimes I can't be bothered with anyone or anything when I come home. It's saddens me that I'm always too tired to play with my kids when I get home, I sometimes don't even want to talk to anybody and even used to hide out the way so I could not take the stress out on anybody. When it comes to Sunday on my day off I'm also exhausted from the week work that I don't really go out for a day with the family. I've been to the doctors a couple times because of the depression and even broke down. This is not a job for the faint hearted, it's very physical and draining and the doing the same thing everyday with no progression, £250 a week as an only income for a family of four is very soul destroying thinking how will we ever afford a mortgage. I can't afford a car either so you can see why the depression lingers constantly. There are positives to the job but they don't seem to make any difference to my mind set. The week off on the 6th week through the whole year is fantastic plus the four weeks annual. The pay for the hours I do is generous (but not enough for a future for my family), some lovely colleagues  more... and customers and getting to know the communities.  less
Pros
Pay for hours, 1 week off in 6 weeks plus 4 annual weeks
Cons
Too many that lead to depression
Work hard but good pay rate
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Preston12 August 2018
Typically sorting mail and moving mail to stations
How much mail gets sent during busy seasons
Keep on top of workload
Everyone typically gets along
Standing up for a long time
The wage and going on a lunch break
Pros
Good pay rate and decent lunch breaks
Cons
Standing up for ages
Postwoman (Current Employee) –  Leigh, Lancashire10 August 2018
I love my job at royal mail thanks to my work mates who have great banter in the mornings The job suits my family life and the money is great, and there Is always overtime available if you want some.
Our managers are constantly changing, which is the only downfall at the minute ohhh and them pushing you all the time to do extra which sometimes we cannot do.
Pros
Wage, Work mates school hours
Cons
managment
Easy and fun work place
Christmas Casual (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire9 August 2018
I enjoyed going to work as the salary was good and the management meant that everybody worked at the their full potential which made it fair for everybody.
Ok
Priority Services (Former Employee) –  Barnwood7 August 2018
Can get away with murder! Nice enough job, somewhat repetetive and mind numbing but that is some peoples thing. people are very friendly and if you stay long enough there are lots of benefits 5/10 years +
Tough environment
Manager (Former Employee) –  South Coast6 August 2018
It's a very tough place to be as a delivery office manager. There are not enough hours in the day to complete the basic tasks and although I have had a lot of verbal support from my managers, people are sent in to the unit to support but actually just give orders and action plans then leave. This just adds to the pressure and stress.
I love to interact with my team of 70 people and know them all by name. The Union culture is still evident and has resulted in the tail wagging the dog, although I have been able to modify this in my own unit by using my negotiation skills and by listening to the people who actually do the job.
Royal Mail offers excellent benefits but this role is not for the faint hearted. It takes hours more than you are paid for to do the best job possible and to meet the company's expectations.
I have made some great friends through the adversity of trying to do the best job possible and I have become a much better manager by using my own skills and character rather than joining the shouty boss culture.
In short, a defining part of my long management career but not one I have always enjoyed.
Pros
Great sick pay and benefits
Cons
Historic poor management will take years to turn round.
productive
Postman (Former Employee) –  harrow ha1 2ed3 August 2018
I was a flexible hard worker for 13 years in royal mail . like to work in a team to achieve the goal. Always obey the instructions of the manager ,.tx
Pros
own lunches
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Royal Mail. Our community is ready to answer.

51.2K