Royal Mail Employee Reviews for Seasonal Associate

Great Company, Hard to find a Permanent Contract
Christmas Casual (Former Employee) –  Poole, Dorset9 May 2018
Loved working for royal mail, they treated the staff well, the management team were great and friendly... Its extremely hard to keep a contract other than temp ones at Christmas time though, as they are overwhelmed with applications.
Pros
Good Work/life Balance, Great Pay
Cons
Temp Contracts
Good
Christmas Casual (Former Employee) –  North Shields1 May 2018
Decent job. A typical day required us to sort post sacks into first and second class, keep the area clean and divide letters into groups. The management were very nice, and the workplace culture was overall friendly.
Pros
Short shifts
Cons
Getting to the place of work
fun place to work
Christmas temp (Former Employee) –  nine elms25 April 2018
this was only a Christmas job for me but meet some amazing people was really fun and really enjoyed my time here it has a great environment and the managers are amazing
Pros
great management
Cons
late nights
Fun and Easy going
Royal Mail Christmas Temp (Former Employee) –  Plymouth16 April 2018
An easy going workplace with an understanding manager and work staff. Good salary with flexible hours and a good long brake. The only downfall is that you are standing for long hours in a row.
Pros
Long brakes
Cons
Always standing up
ok work
Christmas Casual (Former Employee) –  Cardiff2 April 2018
sorting the parcels out into correct postcode areas
sorting the tracked mail out
porting at the end of my shift
sorting the letters into correct areas
Pros
free coffee/tea
Cons
standing for long periods
Boring workplace
Christmas Casual Staff (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant22 March 2018
I didn't enjoy working here because my role was rather boring. The management was bureaucratic therefore the process of even the smallest of things like requesting a different shift would take long.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
boring work
Busy workplace
Christmas Casual Mail Sorter (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire20 March 2018
A very hectic workplace which meant the time went quickly. It was great to come across such a variety of people from differing backgrounds, interests and ages.

Learned to work as part of a team but also was left to carry on with our duties when necessary. The hardest part of the job was when the first class post needed to be dealt with as this was so time crucial.
Pros
Meet some great people from variety of backgrounds, ages etc.
Cons
Working environment chaotic and impersonal. Space at break times was very limited.
Fun and enjoyable place to work.
Christmas Temp (Former Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire21 February 2018
Although it's a lot of work, it isn't exactly hard. Once you get your head around all the different things you've got to do, it's an easy and simple job.
Pros
Good amount of breaks
Cons
Boring and time consuming
Post office sorter in Chester
Christmas Casual Mail Sorter (Former Employee) –  chester16 February 2018
Managerment on the whole well Trained
Atmosphere is good
Work long Hours on your feet all shift
A lot of general staff treat zero hours, part time staff like slaves look down on them. But on chatting to them seem friendly enough.
Royal Mail treat zero hours contract staff as badly as every other company else, For example calling people in for a full shift on bank hoildays then only giving a couple of hours work. Cutting shifts short at a moments notice. Is my personnall experience.
So if your on a zero hour contract dont turn in for them on a bank hoilday you are in danger of getting few hours pay at best.
Overall they treat people well but zero hours staff can be short changed.
Pros
Atmosphere is good, The Managerment help you if you need it.
Cons
Long Hours, zero hours staff get treated badly on hours, pay
productive
Springfield Chelmsford Christmas Temp (Former Employee) –  Chelmsford, Essex13 February 2018
Christmas temp job, good working environment. Very efficiently run with everyone knowing what their job role is and left to get on with it. Money good for what the job involved
Very nice place to work.
Christmas casual Worker (Former Employee) –  Plymstock, Devon12 February 2018
I been working with RM few times on Christmas time and even is busy and repetitive is a nice job to do.
Managers and other staff are very nice and friendly, the environment is very safe and warm even on winter time. You can listen music with your device (and it's a good bonus for me) and they let you freedom to organise your tasks.
Sadly the management is getting worse due the privatisation of the Postal service.
Pros
Flexible tasks, nice management and people.
Cons
Privatisation of the service.
a very interesting place to work
Christmas Casual (Former Employee) –  Sheffield6 February 2018
great atmosphere. lovely people to work with and the works pretty easy too. manager are easy to talk to and do listen if you have any problems and do try and sort them for you
Hard work but enjoyable
Christmas Casual Worker (Former Employee) –  Leeds5 February 2018
I was employed as a Christmas Casual. The work can be hard but I've always enjoyed the atmosphere and working with the other members of staff. The hours were good as well.
Nice workplace
Christmas Casual Mail Sorter (Former Employee) –  Medway2 February 2018
My time at Royal Mail was much better that I imagined at first,
Soon after starting I enjoyed the goo disposition of the managers to help us understand the job.
Altogether my time with them was very nice and I would like to do it again.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
No paid lunch break
Prouctive and Fun workplacd
Christmas Casual Mail Sorter (Former Employee) –  Warrington26 January 2018
Great managment, very good place to work. Short breaks this year but I did enjoy working there. Easy work during the night shift. Was a pleasure working for this company
Life at Royal Mail
Royal Mail Christmas Casual (Former Employee) –  Bathgate, West Lothian21 January 2018
Working for the Royal Mail allowed me to try many new things and learn new experiences within this line of work. The pay was a day later than expected sometimes, but over all a good experience.
Pros
Free sweets on Fridays
Productive, Repetitive, Fast
Christmas Casual (Former Employee) –  Newtownabbey19 January 2018
I worked at Royal Mail as a Christmas Casual from 1st December 2017- 22nd December 2017. Monday - Friday 17:00 - 22:00. Working here aloud me to gain independent and teamwork skills. Working long hours (overtime) with different managers and other colleagues. Working here aloud me to work under pressure with a fast pace with the Christmas load meeting time deadlines.
Pros
Salary, friendly colleagues
Cons
Repetitive
christmas casual
Christmas Temp (Former Employee) –  Exeter, Devon17 January 2018
good to work with the royal mail over the Christmas period
and pay well over the busy time of the year and friendly and confident staff..............
Mismanaged but friendly people to work with.
Christmas Casual (Former Employee) –  Great Sankey9 January 2018
At times the management didn't have a clue what they were doing and stood around trying to work out what to do next even though the royal mail is busy every Christmas. Spent too much time being moved about and being retrained in different job roles which took time and once you got the hang of it moved onto something else and process started again. On my first was told that I would watch a training video but was never shown it.
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
unorganised
Christmas Casual
Christmas Casual (Former Employee) –  Manchester City Centre, Greater Manchester4 January 2018
1. Sign in first and then what we did was to scan parcels and place them into the correct Yorkie according to the post code/area. Then we would have to push the Yorkies into the loading bays for the postal lorries. This was good physical work.

We would then collect more Yorkies and scan more parcels. We would set up the Yorkies as well so that they had the postcodes and regions for the parcels.

2. Sorting letters into the frame according to post code. Collect all the letters in preparation for dispatch.

Worked with a great crowd of people. The night shift generally flew by what with all the Christmas post.

Management was good and direct. Generally explained things well.

Hardest part of the job would be to stay awake especially if you had never done a night shift before.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Royal Mail. Our community is ready to answer.

51.2K