Royal Mail Employee Reviews for Mail Carrier

What managment?
Postman/Driver (Former Employee) –  Hampshire23 May 2018
Took what was advertised as a part time role and ended up working longer hours than I used to work when full time. Nothing as described during initial training or as advertised and management have no interest in hearing any complaint or helping in any way.
Pros
Geat job once you get out on your round
Cons
managers do not care
It’s a great job filled with false promises
Postman (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire17 May 2018
The weekly wage and benefits are great but you are always under a lot of pressure to get deliveries done on time. Career Progression is near impossible unless you are in “the click” booking holidays for people who have 10 or less years is the worst because everything is done on Seniority! But the 2pm finish is great.
Pros
Weekly wage, benefits 2pm finishes.
Cons
Poor management, near impossible career progression, holiday booking system is rubbish, constantly under pressure.
Good team inviroment
Postman (Current Employee) –  Whetstone9 May 2018
Enjoyed working with teammates..job has a good carear strutchure for younger people..but anyome looking at being a postperson would be put off by the 5 hour delivery span.
Pros
Normally finished by midday
Cons
Rounds are 3 times longer than when i first started.
Great work place
Postman/Driver (Former Employee) –  Ramsgate9 May 2018
An amazing company to work for, could not fault them at all. Fun and friendly atmosphere with unlimited recourses to help you learn more. Great team with which to work and great managers.
Hard work
Postman (Former Employee) –  Cheshire9 May 2018
Very competitive atmosphere to work in and mgh no help you have more work to do and less time to do it in so you will all ways struggle to finish on your time the benefit at the end off day are quite good but you get home knackered it is a job for the people in their 20s 30s and the older you get the harder it begun
Pros
Home early
Cons
Very tireing work
Fast paced environment
Postman/Driver (Former Employee) –  Salford, Greater Manchester29 April 2018
I enjoyed my time working for royal mail.
I must admit i didn't enjoy posting letters in the snow and the rain and the cold weather along with being chased by the many dogs in salford.

I did enjoy being the pillar of the community in Salford and getting to know the residents of salford, all really nice decent people.
Pros
finishing early
Cons
bad management and walking 15 miles a day in the rain
A very early start to the day.
Postman (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London26 April 2018
I loved the people I worked with but the early starts were a shock to the system as I was living at home with my parent's and living a typical young man's hectic nightlife. The money was great but 4am was an early start for any budding Londoner!
Pros
Good salary/pension
Cons
Early shift.(5.30am)
management idiots, watch your back
Postman (Former Employee) –  Cambridgeshire25 April 2018
stay away!
this used to be a good job and a job for life, but alas now the phrase 'over worked and under payed' is the norm!

management are worse than useless and is generally made up by former postman that werent very good at the job!

the other people you work with is so varied that you are bound to make new friends as well as a couple of enemies!

pay isnt too bad but as every year goes by you are needing to be fitter and fitter to get things finish!

the union isnt worth the money as is made up of staff desperately trying to climb a promotional ladder within management, ironically!
Pros
indoor outdoor
Cons
idiots
harder work than everyone imagines
Postman (temporary) (Former Employee) –  Birmingham24 April 2018
Being a Postman is a good job but the pay isn't as good as everyone seems to think. It can be really hard in the winter and I thought it was a myth about dogs chasing postmen...i found out the hard way!
Pros
Early finish
Cons
Poor pay
Not for the faint hearted
Postman (Current Employee) –  Shropshire and Essex20 April 2018
This job is harder than you'd think. You need a very strong character to deliver mail in all weathers and summer isn't the dream job it appears to be.
But if you can drive yourself forward through the toughest conditions, you can feel well rewarded. The salary is good for unskilled work. The camaraderie is second to none. You get to interact with a plethora of different characters in the general public.
Management is the same wherever you work. Royal Mail's ethos is getting better and they are trying to move the company forward. But individuals will always be the stumbling blocks of progress.
Each day is both identical, but completely different at the same time. The basics never change; receive the mail, sort the mail, prepare your walk, deliver your walk. But so many things can make each day a fresh challenge. From change of duty to equipment failure, differing weather conditions to your own mood and sense of self. Whatever the issues, the mail MUST get through.
I took the job as something to get me through the summer until something else came up. Thirteen years later I'm still looking, but this job has been my longest with any employer for a good reason. It fitted in with my life well and Royal Mail have been my best employer to date.
You'll lose weight, get a great tan with lots of white bits and who knows, you may just enjoy it?
Pros
Free stamps, free mail redirections, free excercise and free fresh air.
Cons
Wind and rain combined.
Work Place
Postman (Current Employee) –  Chesterfield17 April 2018
Whilst working for the Royal Mail, I personally enjoy my work life balance, the people I work with and also the customers I get to meet and greet on a day to day basis.
Good Job, Spoilt by new incentives
Postman (Former Employee) –  Cheadle, Cheshire13 April 2018
Worked as a Postman for 14 years and it was a good job until the final year or so as it became more of a profit making business rather than a service.
Pros
Good (weekly) pay for unskilled labour
Cons
Top-level managment
Great workforce
Postman (Former Employee) –  Basingstoke, Hampshire11 April 2018
Early start and early finish times.
Easy work.
Easy to learn.
Outdoor work with lots of fresh air.
Good uniforms.
Pension options.
Get to be a part of small groups.
Pros
Early finish
Cons
A lot of preparation for delivery
Ok but not great
Postman (Former Employee) –  London9 April 2018
The management at 90% of the Royal Mail offices is an absolute mess. They work like octopuses trying to deal with 1000 problems at the same time. There is a lack of communication between managers and employees. I was not told that my job had ended. They only said "we will call you when we need you", It's been 2 months and I haven't been called back LOL. The weather is also a negative but that comes with the job. The pros are that they gave employees their rights (unlike Amazon), shifts always finished at 2 or 3pm,
Very good to furhter career
Postman/Driver (Former Employee) –  Bristol9 April 2018
I really liked working for the Royal Mail. I did shift work for 30 years. I took voluntary redundancy. I enjoyed the variety of work. I enjoyed going to the airport every night and loading the planes with mail.
Pros
excellant pay
Cons
very good before major changes
Postman Delivery Officer (Former Employee) –  Woodford4 April 2018
was there for a long time very active atmosphere extremely fast paste quite the learning curve management could have been improved really mixed group of staff
Pros
job and done
Cons
a lot of pressure at times
Fun work environment
Postman (Former Employee) –  Bromley3 April 2018
I like the early starts as this meant that we finished early so having the rest of the day for family and personal life to embrace.
This in summer was a huge bonus
Pros
Early starts
Cons
Poor pay
Very productive and professional
Postman (Former Employee) –  London2 April 2018
I enjoyed working 17 years at Royal Mail. This is a place where you are part of family and have respect to all employees and workers.
Especially the last 5 years (time of Royal Mail transformation - production improvement) I was involved with the World Class Mail team. My team implemented many changes and cut Non Valued Activities in processing.
As a result the changes we made improved productivity and huge savings for the company. Everything I took part in was treated with respect and my role in helping Royal Mail was recognised by many.
I hope my new company will be as good as Royal Mail, if not better.
Pros
I get extra holidays and flexible working hours.
Cons
I had implement changes at other offices of Royal Mail
Archaic Management Principles
Postman (Current Employee) –  Merseyside29 March 2018
If you enjoy being thrown into work with minimal oversight, then this is the job for you.

You'll get virtually no training (as a postperson) and be expected to keep up with people who've been doing the job for decades.

The management tactic is adversarial, and their singular objective is to save money, so they'll try and underpay you constantly, and not advise you correctly that you're entitled to things like mileage money (for going to other offices), travel time, and they'll try to imply that overtime is mandatory, which it evidently isn't.

You'll be on a twenty-hour contract, but it's expected that you'll go over this every day; it's 'unacceptable' that you work part-time, and frankly, the contract you'll be offered is not a reflection of the hours of a normal postperson.

Royal Mail haven't employed a full-time postperson for something like twelve years, so if you want a career -- a mortgage, a car, et al -- then this isn't the job for you. You may get full-time hours, but it won't be reflected in your contract.

It's a job reflective of the growing 'gig' economy, but while it isn't that bad, the job values flexibility (I don't know day-to-day where I'll be, what I'll be doing, and haven't been able to plan anything since I started), temporary positions, poor management attitude, bureaucratic culture of passing responsibility, and minimal job satisfaction.

If you want a job here, my advice is join the union immediately -- they're invaluable, and do not trust that the managers have your best interests (or even Royal Mail's) in mind.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Incompetent/Dated Management
Well paid, fulfilling job.
Postman (Current Employee) –  Glenrothes26 March 2018
The work is great and is well paid in the sector.

The work life balance is fantastic and has allowed me to follow many of my own hobbies and self improvement.
Pros
Getting fitter
Cons
Dead end

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Royal Mail. Our community is ready to answer.

51.2K