Royal Mail Employee Reviews for Mail Carrier

Found 752 reviews matching the search See all 3,261 reviews
Excellent
Postman (Former Employee) –  Slough, Berkshire17 November 2018
Love the work
Learnt about the sorting and delivery of mails
Good management and team work
Safe and sound working environment
Hardest part of the job was when you had to take big parcels for delivery
Enjoyable part of the job was when you meet people of different culture face to face.
Pros
Good to work
Cons
Extra work was always paid for
Poor management
OPG - postman (Current Employee) –  Scunthorpe16 November 2018
Good job when I started 11 year ago but now is terrible as unless you are a favourite and buddy with managers you r not treated fairly or well. Deliveries are unequal and if your round is big or too big they don't care, health and safety isn't in evidence as long as stuff is delivered and as quickly as possible that is all that matters even if you are out in the dark. Managers have no idea and don't care about most staff and they try and underpay you frequently, an atrocious company.. Too much work and delivery put on people expected to be delivered as quickly as possible, most times the hours to deliver in are ridiculous.
Pros
Money not bad
Cons
Bullying attitude managers
Royal Mail Cambridge - Job advertised does not exist!
Postman/Driver in June (Former Employee) –  Cambridge14 November 2018
I joined six months ago. INitially it was the dream job. Very soon after, it became a 50 hour week and total shambles. Management (apart from two) are out of it, just trying to get the mail out at all costs.

The business employs part timers to save on full time benefits but I was told, in so many words, that the part time as described in ads does not exist. Pay rate is excellent but you have to go with a begging bowl at the end of each day to get your overtime recorded and paid. Most part timers give up and basically do many hours without getting paid.

The workload is unrealistic. The theory is that you turn up at 09:25 on Mondays and Tuesdays and 09:50 the rest of the week, and go out on delivery straightaway, the mail having been sorted and bundled for you for your walk. You are entitled to 20 min meal break which you never have time to take and so that is lost into the pockets of the employer too!

In practice, you turn up to a frame with a disgruntled permanent full timer who has been with RM a long time. He will resent you for having done all your sorting and bundling, if you are lucky enough for him to have done that. Usually you turn up and have to spend at least an hour doing your own sorting and prepping whilst he moans about being delayed. You finally get out and either bring back a load and get marked as a slow postman or you do overtime which you would have too fight to get paid!

Communicating with managers is pointless as (apart from two) they never respond nor do they even acknowledge. The "Book Room" where you discuss wage issues, holiday sheets etc.
  more... is only open between 09:00 - 10:00 when you are working your socks off prepping or already out on delivery.

The workload is such that you are advised not to speak to customers as that would make you late! Many of my customers loved hatting and many said I was the only person they ever spoke to and yet the business says this is wrong!!

This is the most badly organised, shambolic demoralising place I can think of. And yet it could be a dream job in a dream industry, if it was run properly.
Pros
Fresh AIr, Exercise
Cons
Management, Workload, Approach, Communication, Attitude to staff, Organisation
Terrible
Postman (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh9 November 2018
This company is falling apart. They expect you to carry the same amount of packages that you’d need a van for. Your areas are massive and they want you to cover other areas on top. Worst company I’ve ever worked for AVOID.
Pros
Left to do the job
Cons
Bad pay, unrealistic expectations
a fun workplace in a friendly environment
postman (Former Employee) –  Boston, Lincolnshire9 November 2018
the day started off by going in around 6 or 7 in the morning so you could prepare your mail, once you had sorted all your mail out you could go on your round, so you could work to your own time within reason. once you had finished if all the mail had been delivered you could go home. one thing i would say is poor training i wasn't shown any round they just expected me to know where i was going instead of having proper training like other people that worked there. it is a very healthy job keeps you on your feet i was walking around 12 miles a day.
Poor poor management
Postman (Former Employee) –  Northern Ireland4 November 2018
Management, or lack of is the biggest fault for this company. If you can suffer the nepotism, bullying, harassment, constant battles over being paid for time done, management lying and back stabbing, not following procedures due to bonus related incidents then best of luck.
Staff are frightened to speak up about things for fear of being picked on as the next candidate to be fired.
This company needs to be thoroughly investigated from an outside agency and not internally as much is swept under the carpet. Issues are being covered up at many different levels due to not upsetting each other’s jobs and fear of loss of share holders.
The good will of the posties are the reason this company works but unfortunately they are being abused to the point that what they do extra is expected for free.
Not recommended in any way if you have any mental health issues. If you don’t have them at the start you will certainly have them by the time you leave!
Pros
Good wage
Cons
Management at many levels
Bad for anyone wanting the job that is advertised, Good for anyone wanting to improve their fitness and work very long hours
Driver/Postman (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire27 October 2018
I worked as a P/T postman......
The job description was nothing like what I experienced.
Training is minimal/help from management is virtually non existent.
The 'structure' of what's going on ranges from clueless to chaotic.
All staff are under pressure which creates a very poor work atmosphere.
The management are poorly trained and uninterested in making the job more organised, it's all about getting the mail out of the doors in the mornings - some staff bring lots back, some stay out way past their actual hours.

I did enjoy the actual job once I was out and about away from the mess that was the main depot, but from day to day you have no idea where you'll be or what time you'll work too.

Training and support is very poor.

Such a shame that this company has been left to rot, the job could be so much better.........

If you don't mind all the problems and like the idea of lots of overtime you'll fit in, but just don't expect to be doing what the job description leads you to believe.
Pros
Uniform/some good co workers/decent wage
Cons
very unorganised/ poor management/long hours/high pressure/very little training
Depression is guaranteed
Postman (Current Employee) –  East Kilbride, South Lanarkshire24 October 2018
Do not work for this company. It's a hellish awful place to work. Management are bullys and will always stab each other in the back. Your body and mind will suffer and if you think you'll ever have any energy outside of work then think again.
Workplace environment
Postman (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh14 October 2018
Horrible place to work.
Arguments with management are a daily occurrence, they constantly undermine you and treat you as a number.
Uniform provided is poor ( “stormproof jacket” isn’t fully waterproof)
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
Delivery office management
Very Challenging
Postman (Current Employee) –  Earl Shilton, Leicestershire11 October 2018
Its good place to work as everyday brings a different challenges. It a good job that keeps you fit as well while your working. Colleges are always there to help you when you need help.
Pros
Outdoor work
Cons
Varied hours
Productive and beneficial
Postman (Current Employee) –  Dulwich4 October 2018
I have spent 16 years working for this company, for me a typical day for me is prepping my walk ready for the day ahead then going out to deliver which usually takes 4 hours to complete, i have learnt how to connect and communicate with my work colleagues and also the members of the public when out on my rounds.
The way that my work place is managed is that i know what jobs need to be done so management let me get on with the work because they know and trust what I'm doing, also the culture of the work place is mixed and we all get on very well with each other.
I would say the toughest part of the job is when it is cold and wet and that I need to focus on the job at hand when these times occur, even though it can get tough the best part of the job is when people acknowledge the work you out into the job, and being appreciated also being able to help people with directions if lost.
Pros
Early finishes so more free time throughout the day.
Cons
Not mentally challenging enough.
Great job
Postman (Former Employee) –  Accrington1 October 2018
Post man - Royal Mail, Accrington (13years)

- Sorting and organising mail into a rack system

- Packing postal delivery bags ready for dispatch

- Working on a variety of routes

- Providing a polite and friendly service to customers

- Delivering letters and small parcels

- Completion of associated paperwork for recorded an special delivery items

- Using hand held scanners to track and record mail information

- Working in a variety of weather conditions and ensuring deadlines are met

- Adhering to health and safety regulations
Pros
Great team to work for
Cons
I enjoyed my job at royal mail ,i didnt want to leave ,my manager emailed all of the offices in thedurham and gateshead areas ,but no vacancies were a
Postman (Former Employee) –  Hayling Island, Hampshire24 September 2018
Id like to find another job at royal mail to make new friends, it was a good company to work for andthe employee benifits were good, i also was lucky enough to do an advancd driving coarse, overall i found thejob worthwhile and was proud to work there
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Bullying culture and poor management
Postman (Former Employee) –  Exmouth24 September 2018
Avoid!! The management is terrible.... you will end up working far more hours than you are paid for and your shifts are different each week.... there is a bullying culture from management who can’t lead by example......
Pros
Keeps you fit
Cons
Bullying culture and poor management
great job
Postman (Former Employee) –  letters, UK17 September 2018
great place to work with benefits of a good workout. early mornings with lots of walking involved, great if you want to keep fit whilst being paid for it.
Nice steady job
Postman (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, Devon14 September 2018
Royal Mail pay well for what you do and when I was there it was job and knock, so sooner you had delivered your mail you could go home. I believe this has changed recently. All in all a nice place to work and keeps you fit.
Pros
Good pay, keeps you fit
Cons
fun and a great worklife balance
Postman (Current Employee) –  Wolverhampton, West Midlands13 September 2018
Great job with great benefits. Ideal for people who want part time hours to work around children and families. Would highly recommend. Pension and working facilities are 10/10
More difficult than it sounds
Postman (Former Employee) –  Ashford, Kent11 September 2018
A typical day at Royal Mail includes preparing and delivering mail and packages - preparation typically takes 2 - 3 hours, delivery and other related tasks typically takes about 5 hours. As Royal Mail has now been privatised, the focus within the company is primarily to cut down on costs, so the job is slowly becoming more efficient, and thus more challenging. It is also surprisingly physically taxing - some deliveries involve walking 10 - 12 miles each day. Many new employees leave quickly as a result of this.
Job like a workout
Postman (Current Employee) –  Swansea8 September 2018
I go into work at 6am. Sort the mail and parcels out until around 8.30am. Then get our delivery ready and out we go. My delivery is a 10 mile walk 6 days a week come rain or shine.
Pros
Keep fit. Meet the public
Cons
Physical job. No breaks.
Great employers
Postman (Former Employee) –  London4 September 2018
Great company who look after there employees , job security, job satisfaction can be obtained, a growing business that can provide security for you and your family
Pros
Free stamps at Xmas
Cons
Winter

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Royal Mail. Our community is ready to answer.

51.3K