Royal Mail Employee Reviews for Mail Carrier

great staff
Postman (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh19 February 2018
great staff, managers need more training in how to treat and speak to staff, job is good needs more health n safety training for new starts. more training for managers too.
Pros
get stamps at xmas
Cons
bad management
Productive and fun workplace.
Postman (Former Employee) –  South Midlands Mail Centre19 February 2018
I am in tuned with my work and enjoy my job which is a most noble and reasonable SERVICE. Being flexible, competent and reliable are major attributes which enables one to work as a good Team Player/ Individual all for the good of whomever I served.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Not being recognised for invaluable/priceless SERVICE.
good job
Postman (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London17 February 2018
I enjoy working for the royal mail but i am looking for a different career path with different opertunites and a work place that can offer me more hours
full of fun but serious workplace
postman (Former Employee) –  Croydon, Greater London11 February 2018
friendly and collective work and everyone knows each other.share ideas with management help ourselves get job done on time.
hard times are christmas and other festive periods .flexible hours and lots of overtime. learnt how group work pays and benefits gained from it.there is workplace culture as well.
Pros
subsidised meals
Cons
long hours including overtime
Average
Postman (Current Employee) –  Tyròne11 February 2018
I took on this role because my last job was long hours and very stressful, so I was looking for something that was less so. Look no further than being a postman.
The hours are great as you have your evenings and some weekends, the job is fairly simple once you get used to it and its fairly well paid considering the role, also the exercise is great too.
Although if you want a challenge...this is not for you, it becomes monotonous after a while, the managers are just puppets for senior management and their only role seems to be passing down bad news from above. Also some (not all) postal workers are not used to have worked anywhere else and they think they are hard done by when really they aren't.
Since its been privatised, things have tightened up and management works to costs above everything else, the postal workers say its not the same anymore and its harder work, when in reality they just had it too handy before.
Pros
Exercise, decent working hours and fairly easy work.
Cons
Monotonous, cost driven and poor management
a reasonable place to work
Indoor Postman (Former Employee) –  Manchester, UK8 February 2018
moving work to correct areas, and keeping work area tidy. hardest part of the job is trying to get all work done before the next shift arrives to setup there section where we have just finished working at.
Postal Delivery Officer/Acting Manager (Former Employee) –  Norwich1 February 2018
Absolutely enjoyed my time & career at Royal Mail really enjoyed the value of working in both an indoor and outdoor job.
I found the job kept me physically fit , even though at times it was draining .
Whilst sorting the Mail indoors there was great banter and comraderie
Pros
Comraderie
Cons
Physically tiring
Could do with getting decent equipment and reliable vans
Postman (Current Employee) –  Greenwich, Greater London30 January 2018
This is a major company that does well but still needs to improve and supply better tools to work with also have to be more alert to stay ahead of its major rivals
very good job, great pay , profesional company .
Postman/Driver (Former Employee) –  Bolsover, Derbyshire29 January 2018
great job , professional company , put pay rates on a part time scale ! great for fitness walking up to 8 miles per day , meeting customers on a day to day basis ,delivering an important service .
Pros
pension, fitness
Cons
long walking, early starts
Postmen are happy people
Postman (Former Employee) –  Lancing, West Sussex29 January 2018
Was A1 company in 1988 now privatised not so good. Pension and pay a serious issue with staff. Still number one provider in delivering the goods.Letters and parcels
Pros
Holidays.Pay.
Cons
Working extra for no extra pay
Intense & non stop!
Postal Delivery Officer (Former Employee) –  Poole28 January 2018
When i was with Royal Mail,like with all jobs there were pressures. but we had a good atmosphere & banter with the staff in the office. The hardest part of the job was the delivery side,very physical work.
Great Company to work for. Met friends for life
Postman / Management (Former Employee) –  London-UK28 January 2018
Teamwork was a strong part of everyday as it was crucial in getting the job done. Fast paced job to meet deadlines and deliver excellence to internal and external customers. Social events throughout the year with friends and family concreted a team bond. Once was a job for life.
Pros
Good working relationships with peers.
Cons
Can't think of any
Ok
Process postman (Current Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire24 January 2018
OK place to work. No real reward scheme or training opportunities. They look after their shareholders and this is obvious as an employee. Redundancies are made frequently.
Productive and acuraccy
Postman (Former Employee) –  Hounslow and Cobham24 January 2018
Sorting mail into frames from the boxes handed to each frame every day, then sort mail and parcels into bags or frame for roads and areas. pick up our bag and mail for the job, fill up our frame and then collect specials and Tracked as well as the pda system, then go to the van check it over, then fill it up with our bags of mail and parcels.
We drive out to our destination, I deliver early parcels then deliver mail and we work together to cover areas. I learnt customer service and learnt to help and describe every question asked with politeness.
We all worked together to get the sorting done in a respectable time we all got on and worked hard and always willing to ask or answer questions and helped each other if someone was finding there job hard. Helping the community and getting the right mail and parcels to every destination was very important and to treat people equally both at work and outside.
Pros
Plenty of overtime
Cons
Weather was tough on occasions
awfull
Postman/Driver (Former Employee) –  Stockport23 January 2018
very intimidating to work for and very stressful .management inept,don`t bother getting the lazy ones to work up to standard just delegate to those who can for the same money
Pros
Cons
the whole workplace culture
Productive and fun workplace
Postman (Former Employee) –  Berkshire22 January 2018
I would start work at 6am...which I did not mind as I loved the job.The work routine was very regular... which I like....ie a general sorting of postal mail,then preparing the mail into bundles and pouches for delivery.Obviously the workload would vary...this is all part of the job requirement.The working atmosphere was good and fun at that time.
Pros
Early start Early finish
Cons
Delivering mail in heavy rain.... difficult to keep it dry
Well paying job
Postman (Current Employee) –  Wisbech, Cambridgeshire20 January 2018
The job is perfect for someone who wants to put as many hours as possible per week into it, in the last 5 years the workload has become around 40% higher and the time and equipment given to compleat your tasks have not been changed to adjust to this sadly hence i am seeking other employment
Review summary
Postman/Driver (Former Employee) –  Cricklewood18 January 2018
Sorting and delivering mail by van, trolley and foot.
Working in all weather conditions, from 6am to 2 or 3pm.
5 days a week, Sunday and another day on rotation off.
Job Role various Job roles Manager/Postman (Former Employee) –  Southend-on-Sea, Essex18 January 2018
My typical day would be delivering letters or collecting from companies, I would also be driving around the country delivering mail, I would also work inside the building sorting post ready for dispaatching
Work place satisfaction 50%
Postman/Driver (Current Employee) –  Ilford16 January 2018
Everything concerning the job is good but there is too much walking and the all weather type of working is really uncomfortable.Worker security is not 100% guaranteed and workers have to exercise maximum care in our daily duties despite the great risks involved.
A lot of benefits, side attractions and pension benefits.
Pros
Car salary exchange benefits
Cons
Workers security half guaranteed.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Royal Mail. Our community is ready to answer.

51.1K