Royal Mail Employee Reviews for Mail Carrier

Physically demanding. Mentally soul destroying
Postman (Current Employee) –  North East15 August 2018
Been here 9 years now and here's the whole truth. The job itself is easy and very simple however it's so physical and draining and has such an effect on your outside life. I walk roughly 7 miles 6 days a week. Work 5 weeks then a week off and also have 4 weeks annual leave to take but must be when shifts can be covered. In the passed 2 or 3 years I have become so depressed with how exhausted I am, the lack of progression (still part time not full time) and the workload in general that sometimes I can't be bothered with anyone or anything when I come home. It's saddens me that I'm always too tired to play with my kids when I get home, I sometimes don't even want to talk to anybody and even used to hide out the way so I could not take the stress out on anybody. When it comes to Sunday on my day off I'm also exhausted from the week work that I don't really go out for a day with the family. I've been to the doctors a couple times because of the depression and even broke down. This is not a job for the faint hearted, it's very physical and draining and the doing the same thing everyday with no progression, £250 a week as an only income for a family of four is very soul destroying thinking how will we ever afford a mortgage. I can't afford a car either so you can see why the depression lingers constantly. There are positives to the job but they don't seem to make any difference to my mind set. The week off on the 6th week through the whole year is fantastic plus the four weeks annual. The pay for the hours I do is generous (but not enough for a future for my family), some lovely colleagues  more... and customers and getting to know the communities.  less
Pros
Pay for hours, 1 week off in 6 weeks plus 4 annual weeks
Cons
Too many that lead to depression
productive
Postman (Former Employee) –  harrow ha1 2ed3 August 2018
I was a flexible hard worker for 13 years in royal mail . like to work in a team to achieve the goal. Always obey the instructions of the manager ,.tx
Pros
own lunches
Physically hard, mentally numbing
Postman (Current Employee) –  Great Yarmouth3 August 2018
Physically hard work, and getting harder. Management have been told to cut hours in quietier times but all the burden to placed on part time -new employees. Part time employees only get 25 hours holiday although many work full time hours plus for much of the year.
Pros
Working outside
Cons
Working outside
Bullying culture, exploitation
Postman (Current Employee) –  Essex31 July 2018
The job has changed and requires a lot more walking than I did 10 years of so ago. I really think RM should address this particularly older members of staff. I often see the management exploit the staff particularly new entrance who are promised a job then given a 25 hour contract and placed with a full time postman.They or even the experience staff are not told work related practices or told different stories from managers in relation to meal breaks times to sort travel time, expenses and finishing on time. This is in order to save lots of money and exploit the staff
Someone with 20 or rs experience tend to get the easier round and some with less experience gets pushed from pillar to post generally a longer round sometimes bullied by management to completed.
The mangers use the rule book when it suits pass things off and turn a blind eye if you help them out.
Some staff members often moan about there work loads to the incompetent managers who in turn try and pile unfair work loads onto people.
Often told we have lots of competition from smaller companies when really they are competing with each other, scaremongering tactic.

Some longer serving members of staff believe they are untouchable because of the seniority system which is still in use for certain things.
I am generally only ever told something when i do something wrong instead of telling me in the first place. lack of training if any.
I have lost count how many times I have been threatened bribed or lied to. The holiday system is useless and the sickness system, no consideration is taken as regards to what
  more... you are off until the very last stage when they threaten you with dismissal but have no legal grounds to.

The most enjoyable part of the job some nice customers and staff. Sunny days outside. The hours and money for a unskilled job.
Pros
Hours, uniform. security, sunny days, some nice customers and staff
Cons
Bulling management. disorganised. Excel spread sheet ins and outs £
gone downhill fast !
Postman (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester28 July 2018
Physically too demanding ! Did the job 10 years and ended up with a bad back and knees. Management are the worst I have ever worked for and for such a big organisation this is mbt good enough. Wouldn't work for this company again if it was the only job out there! Rather do anything than work for this horrible company again. ROYAL FAIL
Pros
Good pay and early finishes
Cons
Too many to list now ..
Physical enjoyable
Postman (Former Employee) –  Kent27 July 2018
The job it’s self was easy and straight forward once you got your head around the sorting part of the mail and preparing your delivery. I was working in the company for 5 and half years, I enjoyed it and also kept me fit. It didn’t offer me enough support when I was going through some tough times with my family and that’s the only thing I can fault the company on
Nice job
Postman (Former Employee) –  Hove25 July 2018
There is a nice environment and good coleagues in this place. The job is well-paid and helps to keep you fit as you walk between 3-4 hours every shift, you get to know many people during your delivery duty through your work area.
working outside
Postman (Former Employee) –  Manchester25 July 2018
On a typical Manchester December's day, when it is raining and cold, you take the satisfaction when you deliver a packet or mail that the customer is waiting for.
Just awful
Postman/Driver (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester24 July 2018
Once was a good job with great colleagues and mangers ! Now the place is very badly run from top to bottom. Constantly putting more and more work on you and treat you bad if you csnt manage the work load. Needs big changes before it gets totally out of control.
Pros
customers, pay
Cons
very demanding on your body, bullying staff
The Post Office
Royal Mail Postman (Former Employee) –  London23 July 2018
When I started in the late 70's this was considered to be a job for life. As they started to mechanise the processes they started making redundancies.It was a good job that went down hill.
n/a
Postman (Former Employee) –  Dundee, Dundee City19 July 2018
The job has changed for the worse over the past 10 years. The incentive once upon a time was to go at your own pace (in which my case was fast) and be finished your days work once completed. Now it is van share, if you are paired up with someone who may not be as motivated it can be a long day.
good to out and about
Postman (Former Employee) –  Thirsk, North Yorkshire18 July 2018
I enjoyed this job as I was out doors every day and meeting people along the way.
The team that helped train me and I worked with daily were great and very helpful.
Good working hours and practice
Postman (Former Employee) –  Wolverhampton17 July 2018
Fun job with a great team who were flexible and understanding to individual needs. Meeting new people on a day to day, having the freedom to manage your own round.
Pros
Hours to suit you
Cons
Working in all weathers
a very good place to work
Postman/Driver (Former Employee) –  London17 July 2018
There are lots of opportunities to advance your career. There are lots of training opportunities available to learn new skills. The working environment is very positive and diversity is taken very seriously.
Pros
excellent place to work
Cons
beware of dogs
Bad management
Postman (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside17 July 2018
Management hasn’t any business skills on a local level.
They seem to be getting rid of older members of staff and anybody who stands up for themselves
Pros
Secure job
Postman - St Helens
Postman (Former Employee) –  St Helens, Merseyside17 July 2018
Terrible company to work for, bad organisation & no progression, treated terrible by management who were untruthful and untrustworthy, which also included not paying employees for overtime, some long standing employees not having a 1 in 6 on the rota which was in their contract entitlement, whilst new employees were doing so. Felt trapped inside the office.

Other side of the job was great, Working outdoors was a bonus and being your own boss, Fantastic salary, pension, shares with other benefits, enjoyed the challenge.
Pros
Working Outdoors, Salary, Other Benefits, Enjoyed Challenge
Cons
Bad Management, No Progression, Bad Organisation, Being Indoors
Royal Mail
Postman/Driver (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire15 July 2018
I enjoyed being a postman. Earned 19800 a year roughly without overtime based on working a 32.5 hour contract. It was job and knock so it was possible to get an early finish and still get paid, (it also meant you didnt claim overtime for going over on busy days) but that will soon come to an end.
Unfortunately within the delivery side of the business the progression opportunities are lacking. In 6 years there have been 3 opportunities to apply to become an office manager. However no management experience really holds you back. The most recent opportunity meant that existing managers had to basically reapply for their jobs. Out of 10 positions only 4 internal applicants (that had actually previously done the job) got the job. The other 6 positions went to external candidates.
Pros
potential early finishes, posties come from all walks of life
Cons
lacking progression, you'll never be rich!
Study hard at school kids
Postman (Current Employee) –  Bradford, West Yorkshire8 July 2018
Gone from being the best job to do to the worst in such a short time. Its just all about profits now and they dont care how they get them . Management bullying is on an industrial scale. I would hate to be a new starter now as they get so much abuse
Pros
Half Decent pay
Cons
The abuse of staff
Worst place to work ever!
Postman (Current Employee) –  Everywhere7 July 2018
If you like mind numbing boredom and working with idiots, then this is the job for you! You will organised by your accountant sorry meant manager for your daily unachievable workload and criticised by your fellow workmates who are to busy looking at everyone else's work rather then their own. Not only that you will be working in the blazing sun or ice or the rain. I'm stuck here but you don't have to be please keep scrolling through the jobs.
Pros
Cons
Injuries, working with idiots
Productive and can be hard work
Postman (Former Employee) –  Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire5 July 2018
Enjoyed my time there even if it was for a short period....Saturday job only. People there were great and very helpful, management were well spoken and always acknowledged you. Would defo go back.
Pros
Out and about....good wage
Cons
N/a

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Royal Mail. Our community is ready to answer.

51.2K