Royal Mail Employee Reviews for Delivery Driver

Beautiful environment
Postman/Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  South Croydon, Greater London5 May 2018
Wonderful working place good group of guys. Started early and finish by 2pm . Stocking letters and parcels b4 going out to deliver on our duty routes
Pros
Early finishing
Cons
Gets a bit heavy during the holiday seasons
Monotonous daily routine
Postman/Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  irlam depot25 April 2018
If you want to work inside a strange workplace with strange colleagues in a strange atmosphere then this ticks ALL the boxes.

Management is inept & lacklustre, workforce are militant, malicious gossip mongers and very cliquey. Horrible atmosphere in depot.

Training is inept. ( Not how its described and put across in the induction at head office ) 2 days delivering on small 2 street round and back to depot for instruction videos,
Then put out on 10.5 mile round with full HCT with trainer for 1 day and left to fend for myself after that.
They're just interested in getting as many bags of mail and parcels delivered at any cost daily as they possibly can.

Money is garbage ...part time work only...dont forget its pro rata....No One gets to be full time operative anymore, Company making money off you hand over fist!

Blisters galore because they never ordered appropriate footwear for me for 3 weeks. Atrocious!

Start off as a Lemming.... Become a Zombie...Timescale 4 weeks!

And then there's the good old british weather...Glad i left.
Pros
Realising there's better jobs out there
Cons
horrible workplace & staff
Management Nightmare
Postman/Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh20 April 2018
I think this job is fantastic and well paid.
Delivery Routes mean you get to know people on delivery rounds who help you out and keep you entertained on delivery.
Very few chances to develop yourself, learn new skills or for promotion. Micro-management is a major issue. Not a day goes by where a manager isn't trying to change something, ask a favour. It is quite a simple job. Same thing day in, day out. Does not require intense management.
Worked there less than 15 years? Bottom of the pile and getting bounced around instead of being left alone to do your job.
Pros
Best hourly wage for industry
Cons
Power hungry managers, desperate to not be in delivery.
Good
Reserve Delivery Driver / Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Nottingham14 March 2018
Not bad to work in pleasant atmosphere. Always busy never stop working hard, focus on health and safety, honest people to work with, managers always under pressure from higher up.
Fun place to work, and it keeps you fit, out and about in the fresh air
Delivery Officer (Former Employee) –  Bolton, Greater Manchester5 March 2018
Royal Mail is a great place to work with plenty of overtime incentives and a great job security.. I should have never left!! If walking driving and meeting people is your thing, then this is the job for you..
Pros
Plenty of exercise, fresh air and job security..
Cons
When the weather is poor, but you soon get used to it and you are provided with plenty of wet weather gear
Parmod Kad
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  South West London, Greater London8 February 2018
Royal mail is a good and caring employer to work for. Working conditions are good.

Work under tight deadlines. Customer orientated.

I have learn diverse management and customer care skills.

Workplace culture is committed staff with cheap banter.

Hardest part of the job is to cover the sickness as there are no surplus staff.

Overall the employment is enjoyable with good working conditions.
Pros
Caring & Competitive work environment
Cons
minimum Development opportunities
A laugh with the guys
Postman/Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Harrow Delivery Office28 January 2018
Prepare the walk for the day's work having a banter in the depot before setting off. Having a laugh whilst working. Hardest part is working in the torrential rain trying to keep the post dry and myself and ice, avoiding slips and trips. Most enjoyable is the freedom of the road and meeting new people every day
Pros
Being in the outdoors exercising
Cons
The winter weather
A great place and environment to work
Post person/ delivery driver (Former Employee) –  Halesowen, West Midlands22 January 2018
A great place to work, friendly and a fantastic bunch to work with. A job that keeps you fit and as a great customer base. You get to meet a variety of people and the job can become very rewarding.
Pros
Great people..
Cons
Walking is a little long
Poor employer ruined by really bad, bullying management
Delivery Line Manager (Former Employee) –  Uk16 January 2018
Used to love my job but left after 13 years service. The money is good but there’s more to life than that! Company has been ruined by poor management and unrealistic targets. I would not recommend RM to a dog.
Pros
Good money
Cons
Poor management, stress, poor company on the whole
Good fun and well paid
Delivery Officer (Current Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex6 October 2017
Royal mail is the best service provider when it comes to the parcel delivery industry so as they are the market leader so does they look after their employees.
Pros
Opportunity to make progress
Cons
Physical activities
Early starts early finish
Delivery Person (Former Employee) –  Wigan UK30 September 2017
Best part of the job is being outside walking. Sometimes very heavy workloads and the weather if bad does not help. The sorting of mail in the morning can be tedious.
Pros
Early finish and Sunday off.
Cons
Bad weather days.
posteman
Driver and delivery (Former Employee) –  London and surrey27 September 2017
I was an agency postman for cmc recruitment working in different royal mail location. My job consisted on doing sorting of mail in the morning then dispatching them later to a specific location that was allocated to me. I was also doing the package this was about sorting out big package put it in royal mail van then start to dispatch them.
Good Employer
Delivery Head of Performance / Director - (Essex) (Current Employee) –  Essex26 September 2017
Great company to work for in all aspects - Good pay , Good prospects , excellent benefits around annual leave , pension , sick pay and other additional benefits
Pros
Pension, Pay
Cons
unionised environment stops movement
Easy
Parcel Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Newport County19 August 2017
I liked this job a lot but then I went away and had to leave so other than that there's nothing more to say was a lovely place to work I would recommend this to any one that would like to work there
it was fun
delivery postperson (Former Employee) –  Portslade, East Sussex8 August 2017
we used to have a good old laugh and the time went really quick we learnt all about teamwork when the mail had to be sorted and prepped and working on our own initiative when out on delivery .
Pros
the time in the working day went really quick
Cons
constant turnover of management meant not much consistency.
Good pay rate. Physical fitness.
Assistant Delivery Manager (Current Employee) –  Wakefield31 July 2017
Overtime nearly always available. Start and finnish times vary and include saturday however there is a rotating day off available. Difficult to get holidays at short notice and normally need planning a year in advance.
Pros
Free uniform
Cons
Physical work in all weathers, car parking shortage. Part time contract only.
There is NOTHING Royal About This Company Anymore!
Delivery Officer (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London25 July 2017
Used to be really good company but now it's NOT the best place to work. The management will take advantage of you as much as they can and they don't care about your issues whatsoever.
Pros
Good Pay and Holiday Structure
Cons
Physical, Demanding Job and Poor Management
Productive and fun work place
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Sittingbourne13 July 2017
Preparation of mailing and parcels, Redirection of the mail, loading carefully the van, check safety of work place, delivery to the customers at best time and conditions.
Pros
Work outside
Cons
To short hours
use to be fantastic place to work
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  County Durham1 July 2017
Ever since privatetisation things changed for the worse.
New managers brought in to see how far they push employees to breaking point .
I have nether seen a company loss so many good employees in such a short time .
Pros
Loved meeting different people old & young out on different rounds
Cons
Delivery driver for royal mail
Delivery Driver royal mail (Former Employee) –  Dersingham, Norfolk for royal mail1 July 2017
Loved this job but wasn't enough hours and wasn't earning enough to support my family .
Loved working in a team and also in a way being my own boss when out on my own , got to meet the public and met some lovely people on the way , loved being outside and always liked being up early and home by 12 to spend rest off my day with my kids. More hours around Christmas as a lot busier . Had my own van which had to look after also sometimes on a bike , kept you fit as always on your feet , plus had to work your round out on your own .
Pros
Being own boss
Cons
Not enough hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Royal Mail. Our community is ready to answer.

51.2K