Royal Mail Employee Reviews in Manchester

Found 74 reviews matching the search See all 3,160 reviews
gone downhill fast !
Postman (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester28 July 2018
Physically too demanding ! Did the job 10 years and ended up with a bad back and knees. Management are the worst I have ever worked for and for such a big organisation this is mbt good enough. Wouldn't work for this company again if it was the only job out there! Rather do anything than work for this horrible company again. ROYAL FAIL
Pros
Good pay and early finishes
Cons
Too many to list now ..
Just awful
Postman/Driver (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester24 July 2018
Once was a good job with great colleagues and mangers ! Now the place is very badly run from top to bottom. Constantly putting more and more work on you and treat you bad if you csnt manage the work load. Needs big changes before it gets totally out of control.
Pros
customers, pay
Cons
very demanding on your body, bullying staff
If you value your life don’t bother
Delivery Office Manager - North West Region (Current Employee) –  North west Manchester7 May 2018
To work for this company is a joke! Senior management bully middle management to achieve results, pressure then from staff and the unions below to do the right thing within the framework. Constant pressure , long hours, extremely stressful, do not work for this company at all costs!
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Bullying culture, extremely pressurised, micro managed
a reasonable place to work
Indoor Postman (Former Employee) –  Manchester, UK8 February 2018
moving work to correct areas, and keeping work area tidy. hardest part of the job is trying to get all work done before the next shift arrives to setup there section where we have just finished working at.
Mail Sorter
Mail Sorter (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester18 January 2018
I undertake mail sorting duties on an ad-hoc basis for this organisation and often attend at short notice.
Duties include:
• Sorting mail by hand, into address order on a sorting frame
• Operating automated mail handling equipment, known as integrated mail processors (IMPs)
Standard warehouse job
Warehouse operative (Former Employee) –  Manchester14 January 2018
Good job what you would expect within a warehouse work place, jobs just agency so not very secure overall had a good experience working for royal mail
Great opportunities for a career path
Head of National Telesales North (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester14 January 2018
Great teams and a company that invests in their people. Salary very competitive. Well structured personal development plans with regular one to ones and yearly appraisals.
Pros
Car parking
Cons
Hours
Good job
Postal Worker (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester8 January 2018
Started as a Christmas temp sorting mail. Was eventually made permanent. Very good pay rate, plus bonuses for working certain shift patterns. Although a physically laborious job, there was a strong sense of satisfaction from completing your tasks. Only left as I'd decided to relocate and they were unable to offer a transfer.
Pros
Good pay, guaranteed work
Cons
Poor transfer opportunities if you don't drive
Christmas Casual
Christmas Casual (Former Employee) –  Manchester City Centre, Greater Manchester4 January 2018
1. Sign in first and then what we did was to scan parcels and place them into the correct Yorkie according to the post code/area. Then we would have to push the Yorkies into the loading bays for the postal lorries. This was good physical work.

We would then collect more Yorkies and scan more parcels. We would set up the Yorkies as well so that they had the postcodes and regions for the parcels.

2. Sorting letters into the frame according to post code. Collect all the letters in preparation for dispatch.

Worked with a great crowd of people. The night shift generally flew by what with all the Christmas post.

Management was good and direct. Generally explained things well.

Hardest part of the job would be to stay awake especially if you had never done a night shift before.
Fantastic company to work for
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester17 November 2017
A well established company that thrives on delivering a superb customer service. Royal Mail are the UK leading parcel and letter company with superb pay and benefits.
Pros
Free city centre car park. Good pension. Competitive pay rates
Cons
Shift work
I didn't work for the Royal Mail
RAC Breakdown Assistant & Fleet Incident Manager (Former Employee) –  Manchester9 November 2017
I didn't work for the Royal Mail I just did a contract for them while working at the RAC. This all went very well and won the RAC a large contract. Which the management were really happy with.
Call centre environment
Advanced Customer Service Administrator (Former Employee) –  Manchester29 October 2017
I worked here for 13 years moving from department to department.
People here generally great and very easy to get on with. Management had favourites which made it difficult to progress.
Pros
Salary was above average
Cons
face fits mentality
Needs help in changing to a parcels business
Transformation Director (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester17 October 2017
Massive company that has lots to offer both the customer and its employees. As an ex government organisation it has a legacy of a very strong Union which has led to junior managers almost forgetting they manage the operation. New focus on basic standards should help improve stability and performance.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Strong Union and very slow to embed new processes
It's alright if...
Postal Worker (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester14 September 2017
... you don't get caught up in the office politics. Nice to be outdoors and with all the walking and carrying you don't need to keep up a gym membership ;) Can be miserable when it's raining badly though.
Pros
The nice people in the office
Cons
The physical part of the job
Great team work
Customer Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester24 July 2017
Loved working for Royal Mail, worked there for25 years performing various rolls . Opportunities are there if you are willing to work hard and be a team player.
Pros
Great culture
Cons
very long hours
Workplace
Sorter (Former Employee) –  Manchester, UK5 June 2017
My first day at work was the day i enjoyed.
I was introduced to how mails are been sorted, the equipment used in sorting and moving mails from one location to another. The first day I saw the managers and supervisors help in sorting mails, they want the work to be done.The hardest part of the job is when removing the sorted mails out of the warehouse it takes time.
It was a time i meet new friends learn from new culture
Pros
weekly off
Cons
break time
fun workplace
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Manchester, UK26 April 2017
I worked in royal mail during christmas which is a very busy time for this company. Although the work load was a bit too much but it was a fun place to work in because of the environment and friendly staff members and colleagues.
Pros
highly paid job
Cons
long hours and too much work load
Very Physical & Demanding But Not Rewarding
Postman/Driver (Current Employee) –  Manchester South DO23 April 2017
A typical day would Start at the sorting office. We would sort the mail for approx two hours. After that the mail would be loaded into vans along with any parcels, special delivery items and tracked items and we would be on our way to the delivery point. We would deliver the mail to residential and business customers which would take from anywhere from four to five hours covering approx fifteen to twenty miles. We would then travel back to the office and empty the van and hand over any undelivered mail. It is very physical and not yet rewarding enough. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with good friends and hardest would be management as once you take the mail out it has to be delivered whether that means you go over your finish time which sometimes can be one to two hours over.
Pros
Friendly Customers
Cons
Physically demanding
Fast paced busy work environment
Post Person (Former Employee) –  Manchester24 March 2017
Each work day consisted of a heavy work load that required extreme preparation and good time management to make sure that the days tasks were carried out efficiently.
Pros
good weather and pleasent customers
Cons
bad weather
Productive Workplace
Mail Sorter (Former Employee) –  Manchester City Centre, Greater Manchester9 March 2017
On a typical day I would sort hundreds of mail incoming & these would be for the whole of manchester itself and also Greater Manchester, I would be helping my team mate get through our mail we had to sort which was done at a very quick & efficiently way, I would help all of the other workers move mail yorks to the other side of the warehouse when it started to get packed with mail, Unloading vans full of Mail

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Royal Mail. Our community is ready to answer.

51.2K