Royal Mail Employee Reviews in London

A very early start to the day.
Postman (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London26 April 2018
I loved the people I worked with but the early starts were a shock to the system as I was living at home with my parent's and living a typical young man's hectic nightlife. The money was great but 4am was an early start for any budding Londoner!
Pros
Good salary/pension
Cons
Early shift.(5.30am)
Hard work but rewarding
Company Secretarial Assistant - Board Support (Former Employee) –  London18 April 2018
I spent 27 years in Royal Mail working from admin to Junior Manager and virtually all departments.

The last nine years i worked in the Company Secretary Office helping to prepare board papers.
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
Long Hours
Ok but not great
Postman (Former Employee) –  London9 April 2018
The management at 90% of the Royal Mail offices is an absolute mess. They work like octopuses trying to deal with 1000 problems at the same time. There is a lack of communication between managers and employees. I was not told that my job had ended. They only said "we will call you when we need you", It's been 2 months and I haven't been called back LOL. The weather is also a negative but that comes with the job. The pros are that they gave employees their rights (unlike Amazon), shifts always finished at 2 or 3pm,
Very productive and professional
Postman (Former Employee) –  London2 April 2018
I enjoyed working 17 years at Royal Mail. This is a place where you are part of family and have respect to all employees and workers.
Especially the last 5 years (time of Royal Mail transformation - production improvement) I was involved with the World Class Mail team. My team implemented many changes and cut Non Valued Activities in processing.
As a result the changes we made improved productivity and huge savings for the company. Everything I took part in was treated with respect and my role in helping Royal Mail was recognised by many.
I hope my new company will be as good as Royal Mail, if not better.
Pros
I get extra holidays and flexible working hours.
Cons
I had implement changes at other offices of Royal Mail
very good atmosphere enjoyed very much good team work
expostlady (Former Employee) –  London1 April 2018
as above every thing was good very flexible hours good rate of pay.worked asa team very good company to work for lots of opportunities for people of all ages and gender .
Pros
every thing
Highly customer focused
Operational Postal Grade (Former Employee) –  London and the South East26 March 2018
Royal Mail in general terms was and remains a good organisation to work for. I have worked on a number of sites from central London and in Surrey and Hampshire ending my career at a large unit near Heathrow. Over the years I have seen productivity increase due to the implementation of mechanization on a large scale something that seemed improbable when I first joined the business. The opening up of the market to competitors has driven a more customer focused workforce. The main challenge facing Royal Mail is the steady decline in the letter volumes due to other forms of communication, the obvious one being E-mail. The challenge is to compete in the parcels market which is highly competitive although Royal Mail does have the advantage of having in place a network that has local knowledge and infrastructure in every conurbation in the country from the larges cities like London to the smallest hamlet in the Scottish Isles and everywhere in between.
Pros
Good salery and Pension
Over all a good company
Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London25 March 2018
Most of the staff are good and understand what is needed.
If your face fits with the higher management you will go far, if not do your best to move unit or area.
Pros
good pay and conditions
Cons
mostly shift work/times
Very good workplace.
Postman (Former Employee) –  London23 March 2018
A typical day would consist of me sorting mail and parcels into a structured frame. Separated into roads. Would then separate all the redirections to be sent on. Once completed would collect all timed deliveries. Bundle up work and head out. Work place was good to work at and management was very supportive and positive. I enjoyed working outside, however that had its drawbacks when the bad weather come which was really the only downside.
Pros
Working outside
Cons
Adverse weather
Ancient
Reporting Analyst (Former Employee) –  London17 March 2018
I didnt particularly have a great experience at the time - it was stresful and the lead was very pushy almost threatening. I didnt know what the best way to handle or if I could involve HR hence decided to move out.

Lack of transparency - it was awful for me. Long hours and I was learning so it felt like I was trapped to do it or just get out.
Pros
Good
Mail Sorter (Former Employee) –  London22 February 2018
really enjoyed working here had a great time and the staff were very friendly. facilities were great and i cant really find any fault at all. overall a great experience.
good job
Postman (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London17 February 2018
I enjoy working for the royal mail but i am looking for a different career path with different opertunites and a work place that can offer me more hours
Reputable organisation
Work area manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London7 February 2018
Workplace is very good.
Working environment is good
Health & Safety are in place.
Caring organisation towards the employees with good benefits.
Different shifts available to suite your family life.
Great Company to work for. Met friends for life
Postman / Management (Former Employee) –  London-UK28 January 2018
Teamwork was a strong part of everyday as it was crucial in getting the job done. Fast paced job to meet deadlines and deliver excellence to internal and external customers. Social events throughout the year with friends and family concreted a team bond. Once was a job for life.
Pros
Good working relationships with peers.
Cons
Can't think of any
Challenging role in period of transformation
External Relations Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London22 January 2018
Was part of the consultation team working on the reorganisation of UK post Office provisions so lots of public engagement and political meetings. These were often challenging while working under time pressure.
Great company
Sorter (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London7 January 2018
Good Company , Good salary, Team work , busy area , good managers , i really enjoyed work for them . The staff was friendly also the managers . I would like to work for them again
Pros
Not Applicable
Cons
Good
UK and Europe and is head quartered (Former Employee) –  London5 January 2018
It is a government owned Postal Services Company. The company operates in the UK and Europe and is head quartered in London,UK.The work culture is good .
Productive and professional environment
Casual sorter (Former Employee) –  London3 January 2018
Learnt working in a team.Building relationship with the team and multi-tasking.
Workplace culture is excellent
Sorting parcels and mails withvarying tasks.
Fun workplace
Sorting Officer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London31 December 2017
People were friendly and work wasn't that difficult. i didn't work here for long as it was for work experience however i have managed to learn lot of working experience by going to this place.
Very poor Company compared to others
Operative (Current Employee) –  London30 December 2017
Royal Mail has a multitude of problems as a result of very poor forward planning & ability of management. The sick/absence policy is barbaric & severely outdated. First stage discipline warnings are issued after staff return to work from serious illnesses/accidents.

Line Managers would not be employed by other major companies due to poor people management skills & ability.

Company does not care about the people who do the work only about the profit.

Ongoing dispute between union & senior management over pensions issues & pay rises. May well result in industrial action early in 2018.

Company wastes huge amount of money producing Royal Mail TV & a monthly newspaper, both of which have the basic message 'you are lucky to have a job'.

Company still operates a weekly payroll sending all staff weekly wage slips.

Investment in machinery is heavy but quality of 95% staff is poor.
Pros
Well paid
Cons
Management poor
A company in decline
OPG (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London28 December 2017
Up until privitisation Royal Mail was mostly a joy to work for. But now they are constantly cutting anything they can to cut costs, but doing so is killing the whole joy of the job.
Managers are rewarded for forcing people out of the job, union is becoming more and more redundant. Job security is gone.
Pros
Early finish

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Royal Mail. Our community is ready to answer.

51.2K