Royal Mail Employee Reviews

Management Nightmare
Postman/Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh20 April 2018
I think this job is fantastic and well paid.
Delivery Routes mean you get to know people on delivery rounds who help you out and keep you entertained on delivery.
Very few chances to develop yourself, learn new skills or for promotion. Micro-management is a major issue. Not a day goes by where a manager isn't trying to change something, ask a favour. It is quite a simple job. Same thing day in, day out. Does not require intense management.
Worked there less than 15 years? Bottom of the pile and getting bounced around instead of being left alone to do your job.
Pros
Best hourly wage for industry
Cons
Power hungry managers, desperate to not be in delivery.
Target oriented competitive was exciting.
Mail & Parcel Sortation (Former Employee) –  Greenford, Greater London19 April 2018
Being in a company of many different departments, work or procedures are never the same. So it was exciting to learn about the new procedures. Set up of different departments, though similar were different, and only found out the reason/s was level of security. Management was friendly and conscious about the safety aspect of handling the work.Staff culture was friendly and always greeting each other when ever our path crossed. The hardest part of the job was not getting enough training and being moved from one dept., to another at a very short notice. The most enjoyable part for me while being in charge of training / mentoring a new recruit, though I myself was relatively new.
Pros
Always being busy
Cons
Working extra hours at extremely short notice
Sorting office/walks
Royal Mail Sorter (Former Employee) –  Belfast City Centre, County Antrim19 April 2018
Was at royal mail tomb street belfast mostly on nights sorting belfast central mail and central firms and when needed was out in walks on tomb street in belfast or northern ireland
Hard work but rewarding
Company Secretarial Assistant - Board Support (Former Employee) –  London18 April 2018
I spent 27 years in Royal Mail working from admin to Junior Manager and virtually all departments.

The last nine years i worked in the Company Secretary Office helping to prepare board papers.
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
Long Hours
Work Place
Postman (Current Employee) –  Chesterfield17 April 2018
Whilst working for the Royal Mail, I personally enjoy my work life balance, the people I work with and also the customers I get to meet and greet on a day to day basis.
Not great
Customer Advisor (Former Employee) –  Belfast, County Antrim17 April 2018
No training, long hours with little to no breaks, very sketchy management with no one really knowing who is in charge, or having anyone capable of dealing with situations which arise in the work place.
great job shame about the politics
Post Person (Former Employee) –  Peterhead, Aberdeenshire17 April 2018
The day to day job is great. We had a manager who had never done the job and implicated a lot of changes to meet targets. Used to be a customer focused job and it changed into profits and targets
Pros
Sick pay
Cons
had your holidays allocated to you
Fun and Easy going
Royal Mail Christmas Temp (Former Employee) –  Plymouth16 April 2018
An easy going workplace with an understanding manager and work staff. Good salary with flexible hours and a good long brake. The only downfall is that you are standing for long hours in a row.
Pros
Long brakes
Cons
Always standing up
Fun and friendly environment
Royal Mail Sorter (Former Employee) –  West Midlands16 April 2018
I was Christmas temp whilst working with the royal mail team. We worked very hard over the Christmas period to make sure everything was delivered and sent on time to where it needed to be. All off the staff at royal mail were welcoming and instantly made me feel part of the team.
Pros
Flexible hours
Great working atmosphere.
Mail Sorter (Former Employee) –  Northampton15 April 2018
Friendly helpful staff and management. The most enjoyable part of the job was the associates I worked with. Excellent teamwork.
Also, the fact that it had three canteens, So you could always get a seat.
Pros
Locality
Cons
Standing in the same spot for ten hours

Want to know more about Royal Mail?

Ask a question
Good Job, Spoilt by new incentives
Postman (Former Employee) –  Cheadle, Cheshire13 April 2018
Worked as a Postman for 14 years and it was a good job until the final year or so as it became more of a profit making business rather than a service.
Pros
Good (weekly) pay for unskilled labour
Cons
Top-level managment
i worked as floor manager
Floor Manager (Former Employee) –  Harlow13 April 2018
i started at royal mail as agency which involved putting the correct mail in the correct destination container.(air mail)
in 2 years i worked my way up to floor management the job was very time critical as we had flight time slots to reach for the departure of the flights .
communication was very important and i built a very good team
enjoybel ,fast pace
Mail Sorter (Former Employee) –  Bristol12 April 2018
everyone there was nice ther and helped out if u did not get it .ther was lot of maikl to get trough so need to to work harm and fast as possibel to get throu it all
Very challenging at times in a demanding operating role
Delivery & Collections Sector Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Manchester Central12 April 2018
Accountable over the whole 24 hours , 6 day period for all business and commercial targets. A very rewarding job and a great sense in achievement in delivering fantastic results.
Great workforce
Postman (Former Employee) –  Basingstoke, Hampshire11 April 2018
Early start and early finish times.
Easy work.
Easy to learn.
Outdoor work with lots of fresh air.
Good uniforms.
Pension options.
Get to be a part of small groups.
Pros
Early finish
Cons
A lot of preparation for delivery
post woman royal mail
postwoman (Former Employee) –  bristol11 April 2018
Sort prep and deliver mail, having worked for royal mail for 30 years I saw many changes the job especially the volume of mail.the hardest part of the job for me was the amount expected of you, as you get older especially so. The job itself now I would recommend ideally under 40s, or fit under 50s. The most enjoyable part of the job which I miss is the freedom of outdoor work, meeting many people, keeping fit, great colleagues. Royal mail is a great secure job and highly recommended. Most new employees start as part time but there is opportunities to fulltime jobs when they become avaiable.
christmas casual
Mail Sorter (Former Employee) –  Wolverhampton10 April 2018
Responsibilities included covering various indoor roles in a warehouse environment,
unloading mail from vans, moving large volumes of mail around in trolleys, sorting parcels
and letters manually and operating machinery.
Post it!
Collection driver, Collection hub Manager (Former Employee) –  Sheffield10 April 2018
As a collection hub manager it was my responsibility on any given shift to make sure all the post in my sub code area was collected by my team and transported to the nearest Mail Centre to be processed.. That's from pillar boxes, post offices and firms.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Lot's of pressure all the time
fun and fun
Post Sorter (Current Employee) –  Crawley, West Sussex9 April 2018
Good work place. Lots of people to talk. Benefits such as coffee and tea and water. Managers are okay they don't help very much but are good. People also get treated better then others
Ok but not great
Postman (Former Employee) –  London9 April 2018
The management at 90% of the Royal Mail offices is an absolute mess. They work like octopuses trying to deal with 1000 problems at the same time. There is a lack of communication between managers and employees. I was not told that my job had ended. They only said "we will call you when we need you", It's been 2 months and I haven't been called back LOL. The weather is also a negative but that comes with the job. The pros are that they gave employees their rights (unlike Amazon), shifts always finished at 2 or 3pm,

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Royal Mail. Our community is ready to answer.

51.2K