Royal Mail Employee Reviews

Found 3,206 reviews matching the search See all 3,275 reviews
Productive and great workplace
Vehicle Technician (Current Employee) –  Omagh, County Tyrone10 December 2018
As you can see I am now trying to get away from the automotive industry as I am now studying level 4 counselling skills. I am highly motivated and good at what I do. I love new challenges and adapt quickly. A role similar to my course would be great as this I what I see myself doing.
Pros
Great working hours
Cons
Not what I see myself doing for the rest of my life
fun workplace
Royal Mail Postman (Former Employee) –  Basingstoke, Hampshire newbury and alton9 December 2018
Shift work working on own Meeting people rewarding job free uniform good pension Good promotion chances within company job security chance to have overtime.
Draining
Postman (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff5 December 2018
Your just a number .got to be fit to work with them not very family friendly and if you got a medical condition and you need to go to hospital or something they don't like giving time off
Not a nice enviroment
Royal Mail Postman (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire5 December 2018
In the early days it was a pleasure to go to work .No pressure just left to do your job.As always things changed and so did management .New breed came in with no experience of the the work or how to treat there staff.Customer service went to the back of the que .Service became poor
Pros
Free stamps at christmas
Cons
Tech, made it difficult to meet the publics needs
Bullying & harrassment management
Postal Worker (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff4 December 2018
A difficult job these days, an average walk will take 5/6 hours to complete but a good wage for what it is. A lot of time presssure to handle on a daily basis. The management have a bullying and harassing nature that is extremely unprofessional and quite frankly from another time.
Pros
Good pay.
Cons
Long deliveries. Bullying management
Productive and enjoyable
Mail Sorter (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow2 December 2018
Loved working here, loads of people on shift at the same time, made some really good friend, working together as a team to meet deadlines. Set shifts so you could life outside if work. Overall l really enjoyed working here.
Pros
Set shifts, part time
friendly collegues
Postal Worker (Former Employee) –  East Sussex30 November 2018
Good company to work for, everyone friendly. Early starts. Uniform provided after a period of time. Can be quite heavy work and distances to walk. Friendly people willing to help.
Pros
friendly helpful collegues
Cons
Can be heavy work
very good place to work, fun environment, work not too tedious.
parcel sorter (Former Employee) –  Llantrisant27 November 2018
Excellent place to work, would go back anytime.
always treated as an equal, quite busy but at the same time not pushed too hard.

The hardest part of job was traveling to/from work.
Pros
all on one level, no fighting for breaks, discounted foods free tea or coffee.
Cons
demand slowed up before xmas.
Challenging and fun
Courier and Postal Services (Current Employee) –  London26 November 2018
A typical day at Royal Mail is working in a fast paced environment and very delivery focused.
I've learnt management skills, change management, DATA and BI
Not as described.
Postman (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom26 November 2018
I want to warn part timers that this job is very dependent on your branch and managment.

I needed a part time job that paid relatively well. 8-2, five days a week worked perfectly for me.

What Actually happened:

I was expected to come in early to sort my mail (7am) It should have been done by a full timer, so I could get there at 8 and then do my duty. Basically I was a partntimer doing a fuller timers job.

I never took my meal relief as I wanted to finish as near to 2 as possible. Which happened maybe 3 times out of 5 weeks. You have to factor in taking your van back, clearing it out, prepping flyers and taking undelivered parcels back. So 2 was closer to 2:30 a 3:00pm.

When out delivering, if you wanted to finish near your time, you’d have to really really rush around. And I mean that. It can take a massive toll on your body.

When I asked what would happen if I needed to finish at 2 everyday and had undelivered mail (which you are entitled to) I was told it was known as ‘cutting off’ and if I did it regularly I wouldn’t pass my probation.

I started looking for another job that day.

I was never notified once that I could claim overtime. I was mislead to believe I could only claim if I had finished my own duty and was doing extra deliveries.

My friend who works at another branch was mortified and said that this does not happen at his branch and recommended I get the union involved. But by this time I had come to the conclusion that if I needed to get the union involved to allow me to work my actual contacted hours, not work 6-7 hours unpaid overtime
  more... a week, that this company was so far in the dark ages I did not want anything to do with it.

It isn’t all doom and gloom though:

There was a floating assistant manager at the branch who was great (came out and helped me a few times) which I was appreciative of. However this is the minority.

The other people there were generally really nice people who wpuld be happy to help if I was stuck.

And If you had a relatively light day it was enjoyable. I can imagine that was what the old days used to be like when they had enough staff to do the job.
Pros
Being outside.
Cons
Unpaid overtime.
good place to learn new skills
postal transport tech (Former Employee) –  Watford21 November 2018
learned to change the way they work each year on return its changed again not all ways for the better found if you worked hard the mangers try to reward you with little extra breaks 5 mins here and there to get adrink
Pros
shifts to suit
Cons
sometimes heavy and delays
Christmas Staff
Sorter (Christmas Temp) (Former Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire21 November 2018
I worked at royal mail over the Christmas period my job was sorting mail and parcels i worked the night shift , sadly this job was for only 6 weeks
Relaxed Work Environment
Data Entry/Admin (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh21 November 2018
Systematic and Orderly mannered work.
Fast,fun and friendly working environment.
Better life balance.
Good Management.
Good salary package for the work.
Fun but hard
Christmas Temp (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol17 November 2018
Very good pay, however it is very hard work. Constantly on your feet, expected to push and pull 50kg+ carts. Long hours and continously monitored for theft.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Very hard work
Excellent
Postman (Former Employee) –  Slough, Berkshire17 November 2018
Love the work
Learnt about the sorting and delivery of mails
Good management and team work
Safe and sound working environment
Hardest part of the job was when you had to take big parcels for delivery
Enjoyable part of the job was when you meet people of different culture face to face.
Pros
Good to work
Cons
Extra work was always paid for
Great company to work for
Post Person (Current Employee) –  Dudley16 November 2018
No two days are ever the same at Royal Mail; days can vary in terms of location of delivery and in terms of workload. The hardest part of the job is ensuring that all items are delivered within the required time constraints. But that said, the job doesn't have to be complication, so long as you are organised and work efficiently.
Productive and busy.
PA to Area Manager - Temp Cover (Former Employee) –  Oxford16 November 2018
The day generally had a standard routine unless there were discipline issues to be dealt with. I learnt about Royal Mail structure and how each area interlocks to the remainder of the countries Royal Mail areas. Management were excellent to staff gaining a strong bonds and high retention of staff in all areas of the business. Hardest part for me was to hand back the reins to the original PA after her time away on compassionate grounds.
Cons
Nepotism is a big problem.
Parcel Sorter (Former Employee) –  Wolverhampton, West Midlands14 November 2018
I was there for 4 years. I was promised a contract over and over again and it didn't happen. I was a good, hard worker that saw people that had barely been there for any time given full time contracts. These people just so happened to be related to the managers. Nepotism should not be the reason people are given contracts. We should be judged on merit.

The Union isn't there to help the workers it seems but to help themselves and the company. Complaints were totally disregarded.
Pros
Good working conditions in terms of breaks and work load was manageable.
Cons
Nepotism and corruption at the higher levels, Abuse of 0 hour workers
Royal Mail Cambridge - Job advertised does not exist!
Postman/Driver in June (Former Employee) –  Cambridge14 November 2018
I joined six months ago. INitially it was the dream job. Very soon after, it became a 50 hour week and total shambles. Management (apart from two) are out of it, just trying to get the mail out at all costs.

The business employs part timers to save on full time benefits but I was told, in so many words, that the part time as described in ads does not exist. Pay rate is excellent but you have to go with a begging bowl at the end of each day to get your overtime recorded and paid. Most part timers give up and basically do many hours without getting paid.

The workload is unrealistic. The theory is that you turn up at 09:25 on Mondays and Tuesdays and 09:50 the rest of the week, and go out on delivery straightaway, the mail having been sorted and bundled for you for your walk. You are entitled to 20 min meal break which you never have time to take and so that is lost into the pockets of the employer too!

In practice, you turn up to a frame with a disgruntled permanent full timer who has been with RM a long time. He will resent you for having done all your sorting and bundling, if you are lucky enough for him to have done that. Usually you turn up and have to spend at least an hour doing your own sorting and prepping whilst he moans about being delayed. You finally get out and either bring back a load and get marked as a slow postman or you do overtime which you would have too fight to get paid!

Communicating with managers is pointless as (apart from two) they never respond nor do they even acknowledge. The "Book Room" where you discuss wage issues, holiday sheets etc.
  more... is only open between 09:00 - 10:00 when you are working your socks off prepping or already out on delivery.

The workload is such that you are advised not to speak to customers as that would make you late! Many of my customers loved hatting and many said I was the only person they ever spoke to and yet the business says this is wrong!!

This is the most badly organised, shambolic demoralising place I can think of. And yet it could be a dream job in a dream industry, if it was run properly.
Pros
Fresh AIr, Exercise
Cons
Management, Workload, Approach, Communication, Attitude to staff, Organisation
My experience working at royal mail
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Warrington11 November 2018
The job was fine i used to pick packages and move them to the correct location. The breaks was also good. I learned all of my warehouse skills at this job. The management was great and the environment was always friendly. The hardest part about this job was waking up at 5AM.
Pros
Finished at 2pm
Cons
Waking up early

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Royal Mail. Our community is ready to answer.

51.3K