Royal Holloway University of London

Royal Holloway University of London Employee Reviews

Productive and Opportunistic Workplace
Workplace where everyone is helpful, polite and respectful of each other. Various opportunities are given to all ambassadors, creating a wide skill set.
Dreadful treatment of staff with no reward for hard work
Staff are not well regarded here.I would not recommend anyone to take an admin role at this place. Apart from a beautiful campus there are no benefits
Pros
Pretty campus
Cons
No reward or recognition, Some people do little and get away with it whereas others are overworked and micro managed.
Imperfect workload-pay balance
Working within the sub-contracted team at Royal Holloway was a poor working experience that included low pay with unfriendly managemet which did not inspire a healthy work culture.
Challenging but very enjoyavble
I enjoyed working with young adults in a university setting. It was often challenging but very satisfying helping the young people working their way through a three year undergraduate degree programme. Many of them were experiencing their first time away from home and it was a difficult and stressful time for them.
Excellent place to work
It was a pleasure to work at RHUL. Good Team members and Good Management. Learned the new technologies like NetIQ after working here. Worked on the students and Staff systems and also Moodle and
Pay not competetive and low staff morale
Employed on a fixed term contract due to re-structure which led to low staff morale. Lack of consistency with regards to training so limited opportunities for advancement. My manager was very disorganized which led to lots of last minute changes to workload due the change in priorities. Expectation to work additional hours to support other admin teams but difficult to book time off.
Good company
This was a part time job, so was a good income while I was at university. I have since outgrown my skills gained there, but the job and company itself were enjoyable.
Prefer not to say
Great academic departments, teaching and educational research.
Generally poor management at the IT Department.

Enthusiastic colleagues in most of the IT teams, but not supported by the management.
Very few prospects for Admin staff
A very busy office where no two days are the same. I have learned to juggle and prioritise well working at the College.

Not a great workplace culture at the College given poor reporting and ineffective systems.

The people in my department are friendly and appreciative but the College does not recognise or reward huge effort from Admin staff.
Pros
Nice campus
Cons
No benefits, recognition or promotion prospects for Admin staff
A fantastic job to do around my studies
The Hub was a great place to work around my degree. It offers a flexible contract so I could work around my degree, there were plenty of shifts and there was generous pay for staff. A typical shift involves setting up the dining hall, serving customers and cleaning. The Hub is a focal point for many staff, students and guests so there is pressure to offer a good service. You learn a lot about food hygiene. Management are approachable and easy to work with. The best part of the job is the friendly team I worked with.
Pros
Management, Good Team, Good Pay
Cons
Similar tasks, Short shifts
Fun place to work
I really enjoyed studying at the University, I also enjoyed being a Welcome Week Volunteer. It was quite easy for students to get a job at the University.
effective workplace
Many resources have been directed towards research, making it a productive workplace.
fun work place
Its been a joy to work here for these years but its time to move on

the building is beautiful and the environment is lovely. plenty of places to eat
A beautiful campus and an excellent place to work.
A beautiful campus and an excellent place to work. Great work/life balance. Good holiday entitlement and benefits. Cross fertilization of ideas and a fantastic learning environment.
great team
excellent work culture
supportive and approachable management

excellent pay for the work we were doing

flexible hours

opportunity to take on more hours
Good
Very stable working environment. The university offers a nice working environment with friendly people. The careers services are well informed and very helpful.
Awful place to work
not a good working environment. People were unkind, unhelpful and unwilling to compromise. little room for improvement.
i would avoid working here if you can.
Pros
nothing
Great quality research
A friendly and relaxed environment, with good work-life balance and state of the art research being carried out, especially in the field of neurosciences.
Laid back atmosphere, dependent on students in halls
As the summary suggests, its highly dependent on the students you're in charge of. Some RSA's had almost nightly issues whereas my group was exceptional.
Well paid, awful culture
I worked in student recruitment which has seen a huge turnover of staff in the last two years, as has the whole marketing section of the university. Sadly this has continued with over 50% of employees leaving in the past 12 months.

This is due to a toxic culture of intimidation and constantly poor decision making at director level. The whole department has been in transition status for the past year and at the time of leaving a permanent director has still not been appointed. Very basic mistakes are made regularly causing the university to get in deeper trouble with its recruitment numbers. Most of these could have been avoided if any effort was made by senior managers to consult the 'hands on' staff who are generally very pleasant and just want to get on with their jobs.

The working environment is very poor with over 30 employees crammed into 3 small rooms and the director having a large office space unused. Mental health has been a huge problem in the department, as staff are dealing with high pressure, uncertainty and unhappiness on a daily basis.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Everything else
Wonderful environment to work in
The most wonderful experience ever. It was very satisfying, rewarding and fulfilling job. I would love to have to continued to work there had the position continued.
Pros
Good people to work with
Cons
Process - as ever
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Royal Holloway University of London. Our community is ready to answer.
Royal Holloway University of London Reviews by Location