Royal Free Hospital NHS Foundation Trust Employee Reviews

Royal Free NHS
Finance Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  London21 March 2019
During my time at the royal free, I had a typical day where I was uploading invoices in the form of interface files handling, creating new users resetting passwords and assisting users with issues they had experienced with the system. I learned a lot about the oracle system. Management was very helpful and sometimes supportive, the work place culture was sociable. The hardest part of my job was getting the assistance when I needed it, a lot of the time when I needed a question answered it took a week and a few attempts at pinning my manager down before getting an issue resolved. I enjoyed being able to assist users who had trouble using the system.
Pros
good atmosphere
Cons
Worked with legacy systems
Productive, fun and engaging environment
Young volunteer (Former Employee) –  London12 March 2019
In general, it was a very fun and engaging environment to volunteer at, i managed to be a part of and organise numerous charity events and take part in lots of fun activities to support the hospital! I managed to participate in different trainings, allowing me to then be able and work with children, dementia and other neurological disorders patients. The fun part of it was working together with the same goal of improving conditions for patients and contributing towards research for further medical development.
Worst Trust in London
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Enfield, Greater London19 February 2019
Worst Trust I’ve ever worked for. I mean even the North Midd declined to merge with the Royal Free NHS Trust. It’s not the wards that are the issue, it’s the management. They implement protocols even when staff send numerous letters that it would be a disaster e.g. extended breaks. We now only get paid for 10.75 hrs and have to work two 4 day weeks, to get paid the same as our counterparts who work 11.5hrs. They never listen to staff and bank pay is rubbish as well. Avoid like the plague.
Pros
The staff on the ward I work on are nice and supportive.
Cons
Extended breaks, rubbish rota, rubbish pay (for greater London hospitals)
Gaining experience of how the NHS works
Receptionist, Administration Manager, Secretary (Former Employee) –  London6 February 2019
I originally started as a Receptionist, also covered as a Admin Manager when needed. I also worked in the Medical staffing department dealing mostly with Consultant appointments.
Pros
Too see first hand how how the NHS works
Cons
Good
A. Admin and Clerical Officer (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London28 December 2018
The World class care values: Positively welcoming, actively respectful, clearly communicating and visibly reassuring which we as staff implementing are very good.
Dictate IT as part of the Royal Free Hospital.
Team Leader for Managed Services Processors (Former Employee) –  Hampstead, Greater London25 September 2018
I learned a lot on how to manage people and workloads, whilst also liasing with different parties throughout the trust. A typical day would be to allocate workloads and ensure that new members of staff training was underway.
Friendly team
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Hampstead, Greater London28 August 2018
Hard working friendly team. Opportunities for further training. Hospital is set in a nice location with good transport links. Opportunity to work in sister hospital
I have got to know many people after so many years, which is great.
Secretary Assistant (Former Employee) –  The Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust26 July 2018
The Hospital has a good atmosphere. There are many different departments within the Trust and many and varied roles. I have mostly worked within a secretarial/P.A role, which involves looking after Consultants and their team within a Specialty. I have mostly worked in the departments of Paediatrics, Orthopaedics, Pain & Anaesthetics and many more.

In a typical day, the workload includes the typing up or proof reading of clinical letters (where outsourced), speaking to patients and staff members on the telephone and resolving their queries, dealing with the Teams' leave requirement, liaising with Management and all relevant departments, such as Theatres and Clinics, dealing with incoming post and scanning letters and other documents onto the Computer system. It is difficult sometimes when patients are very ill but very satisfying and enjoyable when you are able to speak to them and make them feel you care and understand. I have learned the many computer systems that the Trust use. I have learned how to speak to people and not be defensive but to listen and put myself in the other person's shoes.
Pros
flexible working hours
Cons
no parking on some sites.
Excellent
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  London UK14 June 2018
Loved working with the hospital, believed in what they stood for, great opportunities to learn and advance i life unfortunately I had to move but don’t regret anything
productive and good
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  London3 June 2018
Good as volunteer work, learned new skills.
good management, worked together as a team however, there were not fixed places for me to work as I had to go to different wards each day
Pros
free lunch vouchers
Cons
no fixed department

Want to know more about Royal Free Hospital NHS Foundation Trust?

Ask a question
Information Analyst (Former Employee) –  Hampstead Heath22 May 2018
9-5 jobs mostly
Mostly working with Databases and Excel.
Friendly people at work.
Canteen within the building, food was a 6/10.
2 stations from the office.
a new experance at every corner
Voluntary Worker (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London30 April 2018
went to the wards, any wards and served the patents tea, I learnt how to put on a smile when a patent was being rude to me and how to listen as some patents just want someone to talk to them and to hear there story and do not want tea or coffee. I then went to different wards and repeated this. I also helped with serving lunch so I brought people there lunch. I sometimes did paper work if needed. I also helped manage on a few occasion a cart that was taken around some of the wards that had treats as well as every day items such as shampoo and conditioner on it for patents who can not leave their bed and do not have anyone to bring them these things. This cart is supplied by one of the shops downstairs.

I then have my lunch and then go to the wards and serve tea and coffee and well as help set up the trays so they are ready for dinner.
The most enjoyable part of the job is giving the patents a chance to talk to someone and seeing them smile when you get them something they want as tea and coffee is not on most of the doctors or nurses mind so its not done unless a volunteer does it.

The hardest part is when someone is incredibly rude to you because of your gender or the way you look but you have to just smile and ask them if they want a drink and how they want it done.

as the royal free hospital is a hospital there is a lot of culture as different patent and different culture and thus you get to interact and learn some of the differences. which is incredibly interesting
Pros
free lunch
Cons
sometime dealing with rude people
Ok
PA to the Nurse Director, Grade A & C5 (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London22 March 2018
varied role, other staff ok, manager nice, days could be quite varied dealing with correspondence, making internal and external phone calls, liaising with medical teams, booking courses for nurses, handling cash donations
Pros
interesting
Cons
no progression
Good employer
Patient Experience/Complaints/PALS Manager (Former Employee) –  Barnet and Hampstead Heath12 March 2018
Good employer
Good staff
Good culture
Good communication from leadership
Working hours Flexibility
Patient focused
Good overarching business strategies
Pros
Good managment
Cons
Risk averse in trying new ideas at times
Okay
volunteer (Former Employee) –  London8 March 2018
Nice to get insight into hospital life as a volunteer, I really enjoyed working with the staff members who were very kind, and learnt a lot that prepared me when applying for my degree
Oyal Free Hospital
Temporary Clerical Officer (Former Employee) –  Hampstead15 February 2018
The day would be, answer the phones, print out the blood reports on the patients. post out to the wards or gp surgeries. Liaise with other hospital staff,
The workplace culture i would say was good , many staff from different backgrounds and ethnics. I work quite well with everyone. The hardest part of the job, learning to do the data input for bleed tests, but once trained all was ok.
I enjoy meeting people, and that is enjoyable making them feel at ease. I enjoyed working in the Chemical pathology labs as their clerical officer.
Pros
Cons
NO normal 9-5
somewhat challenging
Nurse (Current Employee) –  London8 February 2018
There are good opportunity provided by the trust however when it come to work life balance this seem not to be a priority for the trust. Felt that this is something that is crucial for retention
Domestic Assistant (Current Employee) –  London3 February 2018
People working in Royal Free Hospital it is friendly and polite.
If I need help no problem give to me. Royal Free Hospital gives to me a good work experience
Pros
friendly
good place
domestic (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London29 January 2018
did a lot training in domestic service was friendly team good people work with people was working there for many years so always can help me was very sad to go but move the area and cant travel to work late hours.
Giving back to important hospital
Volunteer Worker (Former Employee) –  London12 December 2017
The Royal Free Hospital treated my mother and saved her life. I am indebted to this hospital and chose to volunteer there. My role consisted of serving meals, keeping patients morales high and re-stocking supplies. Hardest part of this were the long standing hours but I made good friendships and developed further my interpersonal skills; bettering my character.
Pros
Free lunch if you volunteered 4 hours or Loren
Cons
Unclear instructions and lack of support