Royal Botanic Gardens Kew Employee Reviews

3.4Pay & Benefits
volunteer
Internship (Former Employee) –  London25 May 2018
Great environment to work in. The staff always offered support to further your career and knowledge of plants and there was always opportunity to learn
Pleasant environment that promotes career development
Unix and Comms Officer/IT Operations Analyst (Former Employee) –  Richmond, Greater London4 May 2018
Very motivating job with periodic team stand up meetings to discuss highlights of previous and future jobs. This was helpful so that we do not operate in silos and were kept aware what changes other members of the team were involved in that may affect your work. A typical day started with checking monitoring tools for any alerts, check my support job queues for high priority jobs and deal with them, read emails and attend to project work and then BAU. Management promoted personal growth and always made me feel I was part of the organisation's triumphs and tribulations. To top that Kew offered a good environment to work in, with garden walks at lunch time, just pleasant to work in.
I also learnt to only reboot a critical system as a last resort. In most cases looking through the logs, processes and resources, restarting individual services resolves most problems. Having a systematic approach to dealing with issues is key.
The hardest part of my job was troubleshooting external hosted services where I did not have access to the system logs, diagnosing and eliminating internal systems as being the cause. I learnt how to use various diagnostic tools such as Wireshark and port mirroring during the process.
The most enjoyable part was when that very difficult problem is resolved and the management and the business acknowledge your input followed by a day out with my colleagues to celebrate.
Very good career development opportunities through external and in house training.
Pros
Staff discounts for myself and family
Cons
Long travelling times/congested transport
Productive and Fun place
CDP (Current Employee) –  Kew Gardens18 August 2016
I love the place and working over there
it is so nice to work with highly experience team and management as well as chefs and front house team. All are so co-operative
Lovely Location - can't be beaten
Senior Business Analyst & Data Architect (Former Employee) –  Kew14 May 2015
Lovely Location; under severe financial pressures at time of writing. Scientific work carried out here is under-appreciated and under-valued, but world leading and extremely important.
Pros
The Gardens
Cons
poor job security and development; under-investment