Royal Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust

Royal Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust Employee Reviews

United Kingdom27 reviews
Busy NHS hospital
There are a lot of good things about working at RBH, like career advancement, in-house training, management and leadership. Like any other NHS hospital, all services are overwhelmed and need constant management attention. Turnover of staff is high, but you also find people who have trained there and working there since the start of their career, and they love it. It really depends on which department you work in and on your colleagues, like anywhere else.
Bullying culture still there
The bullying culture is still here alive and well sadly. It’s jobs for mates and little progression. I loved the people in my team, but the political environment is dreadful
Excellent place to work
All our relationships are based on empathy, respect, integrity and dignity. In every interaction and communication, we treat colleagues, patients and families with care and understanding. We strive to continuously improve, to be the very best that we can be – as individuals and as an organisation.
Living within our means. Responding to the challenges of today and tomorrow in effective, efficient, innovative and optimistic ways.

We commit to excellence in everything that we do – placing patient safety and quality at our heart. We learn from mistakes and we do what we say we are going to do and hold ourselves and others to account for adhering to our values and the behaviors we expect.
Execellent work place
Execellent Emplyoer.Good pay.Good management .Good holiday .Good team.Ideal location.Ideal shift.Good training .Well organised team.lots of Emp benefits.
People are brilliant .ANice place to work good advancment.Hardest part of the job is the hours and work and homelife balance.Staff need more recognition.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Long hours .wages.
lovely place to work
my day was ever changing, I learned to multi task, we had excellent management. I learnt to work as a team, every day was a hard day
most enjoyable was my colleagues and the patients
Poor staff morale
During my role as Assistant Patient Pathway coordinator, a restructure of administrative departments, and the requirement for people to re-apply for their jobs, led to poor staff morale and people looking for jobs elsewhere.
Typical day at work.
We work very hard each day, supporting all the operating theaters, wards, A & E and the main office staffs.
Everyday is not the same.

But but the management are very understanding and nice.

The joy of just coming to work and helping all the staff is just wonderful.
Good
Worked here a while ago. It was a friendly place to work. Team work was good as was educational and career development opportunities. Would recommend working here
Efficient and well balanced
Good management with friendly wok team force. Patient and staff centred care. Not over crowded and healthy working pace for staff, with accommodation, but can do with some improvement
Pros
adequate staffing
Cons
little cultural diversity
Enjoyed different Theatres. Helping patients.
Lots of varied jobs available. I enjoyed working within a team. Also working with staff from different cultures. Offered study days. Would still be working there, was made redundant, 2 jobs into 1. I did not apply as I did not wish to work full time.
Pros
Local to home.
Cons
Car parking sometimes a problem.
Lovely place to work
I worked in the Maternity and Gynaecology department. I honestly couldn't fault it, they make you feel so welcome and can have a real good laugh, everyday was a real joy working there. With relocating 200 miles for the job they did become like a family to me and I was very sad to leave but there unfortunately wasn't any room for progression.
Great work colleagues
Good learning skills
Patient contact can be challenging but also rewarding

Good working relationships with colleagues and clinicians

Lots to learn and experience

Great opportunity to learn more about support staff

Good working atmosphere

Working in a great team

Days go so fast and there is never a dull moment
Pros
Subsidised restaurant
Cons
Pay
Good hardworking staff
I worked as a band 6 in biochemistry but I was most frequently given lots of other extra responsibilities outside of my job remit as I wanted to better develop my skills and improve my career prospects. This led to me acting up as a band 7 in both automated and manual sections with responsibilities in staff and reagent management, looking after quality control, document control and general upkeeping in order for the section to run effectively. During my time at Royal Berkshire, the most enjoyable part of my job was the huge variety of tasks I was involved in which gave me lots of challenges to keep me busy and productive, and I worked and met with some really lovely people who knew that teamwork was fundamental in effective running of the laboratory. I would say the least enjoyable part of the job was working night shifts as I am not a very good night person but saying that I worked night shifts for many years. The workplace culture has always been very good, I worked with many hard working experienced people at all levels. However, staff culture and morale changed a great deal over the last few years due to poor management and the process of pathology consolidation when services between laboratories merged and staff numbers were reduced leading to staff who were left working more shifts and longer hours. This in turn led to very poor staff morale and reduced productivity. I felt management did not fully support the processes that took place and staff felt very worthless and undervalued.
Pros
Friendly hardworking staff
Cons
Long shifts
Good for learning
Pay is bad for the amount we do apart from that rewarding can be challenging but if you want a career in caring highly recommened the job to anyone who likes looking after people
Pros
Overtime
Cons
Long hours pay
Flexible workplace
processing invoices.

Offices were old but light & airy

Flexible working hours to suit everyone

Enjoyed dealing with different departments within the hospital
fast paced and exhilarating
There is no typical day at the Royal Berkshire Hospital however, there is routine to follow. There is a great support system in place and usually a great team morale which invites a comfortable and fun working atmosphere.
A Joke
The Management at this hospital are incompetent, staff turn over is very high due to the high work loads that are placed upon the lower ranked staff taking up the slack of senior staff who are no longer paid what they used to receive due to grade reorganisation.
Pros
Waiting list jumping
Cons
excessive workloads
great for career progression and diversibility
Great company to work for. Great management overall, but not so in some areas.

I have enjoyed all careers undertaken at the Trust and the Trust have been very welcoming and accommodating in my career outlook and have provide me with valuable resources to continue learning.
Patient Pathway Coordinator
Dermatology Clinical Admin Team which serves as a link between dermatologists and patients; being a point of contact for all administrative issues relating to patients’ pathway of care as part of a multi-disciplinary team and provides support in the proactive management of the patient pathway from referral to discharge, ensuring the entire pathway is managed smoothly.
a paternal organisation moving to restructure
a paternal organisation moving to a new direction, probably to bring some changes however still has the same strategy which might take years to change.

Work culture is bias and not rational.
Cons
no one can change with poor management