Royal Air Force Employee Reviews

driver
RAF Logistics Driver (Former Employee) –  Marham, Norfolk19 November 2018
Joined the military at such a young age I didn't get the chance to grow into the man I'd hoped I would but instead I grew up into this person that the RAF wanted, I lacked humanity and the sense of pride in my job role because it was never enough due to the standards that were unreachable because of the way the higher ranks worked. would never recommend.
great
Aircrewmen (Former Employee) –  Halton16 November 2018
its a great job and you meet amazing people and do amazing things, but you have to know if its for you or not, even if it isn't there are so many people who are in the same boat as you are to help you and guide you threw it
Pros
amazing people great job and great people
Cons
away from home
Great platform for life skills
Corporal, Radar Technician (Former Employee) –  UK8 November 2018
Would recommend Armed Forces to any young person, Forces life is excellent, great people, camaraderie, sport and leisure and travel opportunities. Discipline learned is very valuable and stays with you for life.
Dedicated and committed data centre manager and engineer with more than 22 years of experience.
Senior Engineering Manager (Former Employee) –  Durham, Durham7 November 2018
Dedicated and committed data centre manager and engineer with more than 22 years of experience working in corporate and military
environments. Extensively developed fault resolution skills alongside excellent technological and server management abilities comes from a
history in IT support and technical service. Strong communication skills for collaborating with other engineers and customers. I am a
candidate that combines management and technical skills with loyalty and dedication.
Information Communication Systems Technician (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom7 November 2018
The job i did was fun and some what in depth so can't go into too much, I enjoyed my time in the RAF and would do it all again made some really good mates money was good as well so if your thinking of joining I would say do it now!
Pros
Lifestyle
Cons
Can be away from home longer then you think
Productive & challenging
Senior Executive (Current Employee) –  Lincolnshire6 November 2018
The opportunity for personal and professional development I believe is second to none. Although I enjoy the opportunity to travel and see new and fascinating places the hardest part is always leaving family behind when deploying on operations.
Pros
Travel opportunities
Cons
Time away from home
opportunity knocks
Corporal Chef (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom31 October 2018
A great rewarding career for those with personal drive and ambition. Opportunities will arise for you to further develop, maintain health and fitness. Worldwide opportunities will arise for travel in deployments overseas and personal adventure through organised expeditions. Limitless opportunities will present themselves for the enthusiastic and ambitious in terms of desire.

I wish you the best of luck.
Pros
Career progression
Cons
Anti social hours
Exciting workplace
IT Technician (Current Employee) –  Northallerton, North Yorkshire30 October 2018
Great place to learn skills that are transferable throughout life. Opportunities to travel the world and meet great people. Sometimes difficult to leave the family for extended periods of time.
Don't wait join.
Firefighter (Former Employee) –  Multiple-Shetland to Culdrose, Falklands to Afghan29 October 2018
Easily the best job you will ever have. I never had a day that I didn't want to go to work. Even in some of the most horrible places and with some nasty people not too far away this is a job that made me smile.
Pros
Healthcare, Dentist and Travel free.
Cons
Don't travel to nice places too often.
Rewarding career
Sergeant (Former Employee) –  Everywhere24 October 2018
Spend 20yrs in Royal Air Force and loved every minute, got to travel and see the World and do things I never thought i'd do. Good promotion prospects if work hard.
Pros
Everything about military life
Cons
There are none
Work hard, travel far
Weapons Technician (Former Employee) –  Various24 October 2018
No such thing as a typical day!
Learned how to function under various types of pressure. How to manage people successfully.
Generally good management due to people being promoted on their merits.
Workplace culture of work hard, play hard.
Hard to agree with and suffer the results of occasional bad management decisions.
World-wide travel.
Pros
Travel, social side of life
Cons
Occasional difficult working environments
Enjoyable career so far
Electrical Technician (Current Employee) –  Scotland24 October 2018
The technical aspect of work has reduced remarkably over the years due to modern technology and a change in the direction of the trade towards IT. Personnel remain the most important part of the job and so many different backgrounds ensure you do not have groundhog day.
Rewarding and Stimulating
Branch Support Officer (BSO) (Current Employee) –  Kent, Surrey & Sussex18 October 2018
My job involves visiting RAFA Branches and Clubs and helping the members with fundraising events and managing the day to day running in accordance with the Charity Commission. The hardest part is visiting all 38 branches and Clubs and giving them the same support. I enjoy supporting the members with Welfare cases and raising funds for the RAF Family, Veterans and serving personnel.
Pros
Pension, Health Care, working independently and helping the veterans.
Cons
Irregular hours, balancing work and life
Its a Carreer
Supervising Electrical and Instrument Technician (Former Employee) –  Various15 October 2018
Job security is as you want it
Its Military service not a job
its what you make of it yourself
gives you a good trade dependant on what you chose to pursue as a career
Great
Aircraft Technician (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside4 October 2018
RAF and serving the country is always great. Lots of travel and fun as well as of course very hard work. Cant complain had a great time travelled all over the world.
Pros
travel
Cons
Hard
It was amazing to be a memeber of the Royal Air Force
PBX/COMCEN Air Woman (Former Employee) –  Hereford25 September 2018
We all had a brilliant life, we worked hard, but enjoyed the life. You knew you had great job security. The opportunities were amazing. Travel, job satisfaction, learning a lifelong trade.
Pros
Food and Board included
Cons
long way from home
Has changed through the years
Special Forces Supply Chain Co-ordinator (Current Employee) –  Brize Norton, Oxfordshire20 September 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed my time in the Air Force. The travel the job security and the culture was amazing. However, in recent years time have changed doing more with less, people and resources, has grown thin for most an moral couldnt be lower in most sections.
Pros
culture, security
Cons
deployments
Enjoyable work place
Recruit (Former Employee) –  Halton19 September 2018
I spent nine months in the Royal Air Force, the hours per day would vary. I learnt a lot of skills including team work, time management and confidence. I would say the hardest part off the job was the pressure that was put upon me to perfect skills in days. The most enjoyable part off the job was meeting new people and curriculum.
Pros
Good salary, very professional
Cons
away from home alot, long days
Has lost its appeal
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Various6 September 2018
The RAF is a shrinking organisation, but it is beset with a command structure from when it was a much larger and more influential Force. It is struggling to maintain relevance on the domestic and world stage. Therefore the management is cumbersome and the promotion path is toxic.
Pros
Free dental care. Some adventure training opportunities.
Cons
Very poor locations. Run down facilities and housing.
life as a RAF Medic
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  RAF Marham5 September 2018
a medic in the RAF involves a lot of medical admin and some medical care. as a duty medic you can work for long period of time on medical cover for aircraft on flying duties