Royal Air Force Employee Reviews

Wouldn't recommend
Current post- Royal Air Force Firefighter (Current Employee) –  Lossiemouth, Moray14 January 2019
Promises given at AFCO are not honoured when in the service. Wouldn't recommend to anyone. If you join, make sure it's for a trade with a civilian recognised qualification.
Cons
Poor wage and benefits and long deployments away from home
Organizations and People made a difference.
Deputy Chief of Operations (Former Employee) –  RAF Mildenhall11 January 2019
It was a great place to work and the work environment was excellent. The personnel were well education and motivated to serve the U.S. Air Force and all tasks assigned without complaint.
Logistics Supervisor.
Logistics Supervisor (Former Employee) –  International7 January 2019
I would recommend the Services to any young person, Good secure career, pay accomodation, uniform, colleagues. Everything is there for you. I spent 13 years out of 22 years overseas. Great memories.
Lifestyle rathe than job
IMAGERY INTELLIGENCE ANALYST (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom7 January 2019
If one can put up with the military lifestyle this is a great lifestyle. Pay could be better and conditions can be harsh but otherwise a very interesting place to work.
Excellent career opportunities
Ground radio technician - Serco (Former Employee) –  Pembrey, Carmarthenshire7 January 2019
As part of the armed services this is a career opportunity and with that a full service plan should be undertaken, this will suite the school leaver for further life skills.
Life changing.
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Various5 January 2019
Exciting.
Chance to process.
Developed character.
Encouraged to be part of a team.
Work/life balance.
Travel the world.
Make a difference.
Learn new skills.
Pros
Culture.
Cons
Could be deployed at short notice.
Hard work but rewarding
Aircraft Technician (Current Employee) –  Lossiemouth3 January 2019
Away from home a lot. Good job security.
Wage isn’t as good as other industries. Lots of travelling and good health and dental benefits. As well as the opportunity to do sport
Pros
Travelling
Cons
Away from home
Good working environment to start career.
Raf Regiment Gunner (Former Employee) –  North Yorkshire1 January 2019
The RAF is a good working environment to start a career. Plenty of opportunities to travel the world and work with other nations and see other cultures.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Promotion System is poor
Diverse and Rewarding
Engineering Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Waddington, Lincolnshire30 December 2018
A very rewarding and diverse place to work. No job or posting is the same. You get out as much as you put in. They look after their employees well and the rewards are generally higher than other comparable industries. Enjoyed the 22 years I spent within the RAF.
Pros
Pension Scheme
Cons
Long deployments
I enjoyed my time there.
Aircraft Maintenance Journeyman (Former Employee) –  Mildenhall12 December 2018
The department I was in was aircraft maintenance so I can't speak for all of RAF. I had loads of travel opportunities and they were paid for. It is located in England near Cambridge.
Pros
Comradeship, travel opportunities, never a dull day
Cons
Short breaks, constantly staying late, upper supervision
Amazing
Flight Sergeant (Current Employee) –  Holywell, Flintshire12 December 2018
It is an amazing organisation that gives you so many opportunities in life, its given me the boost to be who i am and if i didnt join i dont think id have half of what i do now.
Pros
Great Experience
Cons
Big Commitment
Excellent
Quality Assuarance Manager Engineering (Current Employee) –  Oxford, Oxfordshire29 November 2018
The typical day is eight until five. I learn something new every day. I am the manager, I have good management. Staff are empowered to develop themselves and the business.
Fulfilling career
Flight Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire27 November 2018
A wide and varied employer offering many opportunities for you to gain professional and personal skills.
Each workplace is different and as you progress through your career you will need to differing skills to achieve your aims.
Pros
Full benefits
Cons
Out of Area Detachments
Great employers
Home Office motorcycle Instructor (Former Employee) –  Wittering23 November 2018
Joined the RAF at the tender age of 16 yrs 6 months old. After basic training I commenced the RAF Police training. Receiving training in Military, Common and Civil Law. After successful completion of the trade training I was posted to various locations around the UK and the world in various different roles (Control of entry, mobile patrol, physical security, arresting military personnel, convoy escort duties. At all times expert continuation training was given. I did not come across any racism or discrimination during my 18 years in the Service.
Pros
Great chances to be involved in many sports and travel opportunities
Cons
Possibility of being detached away from home at short notice
Supplier
Airman (Former Employee) –  Various21 November 2018
A great 10 years service spending 6 years in germany doing somethings you would never get to do if it wasn't the forces.

Would have done a few more years if they had treated single people as equal to married people
Best job I ever had
AIRCRAFT ELECTRICIAN (Former Employee) –  Wittering21 November 2018
9 years regular plus 3 in reserve. Best job I ever had. I didn't want to leave but they had too many people in my rank and trade. Great experience builder and good fun all the time.
driver
RAF Logistics Driver (Former Employee) –  Marham, Norfolk19 November 2018
Joined the military at such a young age I didn't get the chance to grow into the man I'd hoped I would but instead I grew up into this person that the RAF wanted, I lacked humanity and the sense of pride in my job role because it was never enough due to the standards that were unreachable because of the way the higher ranks worked. would never recommend.
great opportunity
senior aircraftman (Former Employee) –  Bury St. Edmunds18 November 2018
working for the royal air force was a great experience and gave me great opportunity's to travel the world and do things i wouldn't of done if i never joined up.
great
Aircrewmen (Former Employee) –  Halton16 November 2018
its a great job and you meet amazing people and do amazing things, but you have to know if its for you or not, even if it isn't there are so many people who are in the same boat as you are to help you and guide you threw it
Pros
amazing people great job and great people
Cons
away from home
Great platform for life skills
Corporal, Radar Technician (Former Employee) –  UK8 November 2018
Would recommend Armed Forces to any young person, Forces life is excellent, great people, camaraderie, sport and leisure and travel opportunities. Discipline learned is very valuable and stays with you for life.