Royal Air Force Employee Reviews

Mostly interesting and exciting with excellent team ethos.
Engineering Officer (Former Employee) –  UK10 January 2018
The Royal Air Force gave me the opportunity to develop quickly as an Engineering Manager and build valuable leadership skills. The life is thorough and demanding, yet the rewards are multiple and memorable.
Pros
Salary, responsibility, work/life balance (generally), team ethos.
Cons
Travel away from family, limited career choices
Great Career!
Compulsory Drug Testing Officer (Former Employee) –  High Wycombe10 January 2018
A fantastic career with plenty of career opportunities and advancement throughout the ranks if you work hard. No regrets and would certainly recommend.
Interesting and varied
Information Communications Technician (Former Employee) –  Northumberland8 January 2018
A typical day at work starts with beverages and a talk about the tasks ahead - Computer and Telecommunication requirements and how we can achieve these requests.
I learned a lot about personnel/team management. Budget aspects and co-operation with clients and contractors.
Workplace culture depends on which department you are working in, generally very good, with a great deal of humour.
Having to go overseas on detachment for 4 or 6 months.
Learning new skills and meeting different people.
If you wish to travel and have a wide variety of tasks and meet different people then this could be the job for you.
Pros
Good wage
Cons
Oversea detachements
Rewarding career
Corporal (Current Employee) –  Coningsby, Lincolnshire6 January 2018
A rewarding career path. A role in the RAF not only teaches you a set of outstanding core values to live by but also offers you the opportunity to be the best version of yourself. The opportunity to travel, gain experience and qualifications is second to none with opportunities also in sport and adventurous training available to all who want it.
Pros
Education, training & travel.
Cons
No longer has the job security it once did.
Challenging
Royal Air Force Firefighter (Former Employee) –  Lincoln4 January 2018
A very challenging career from the first day you walk into the careers office until the day you leave. You have to be serious about joining the military as it takes over the majority of your life.
Pros
Teamwork
Cons
Time consuming
Amazing job and experiences
Safety Equipment Fitter (Former Employee) –  Leuchars, Fife3 January 2018
Hard training and alot to learn but the lifestyle, chance of progression and salary made the job interesting, the lifelong friendships made and the chance to travel made it even better. A hard job but a fun job too.
Pros
Cons
Deployments to warzones
Professional
Supplier (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom3 January 2018
I had a management role for many years and my day was ensuring the section i was in charge of was runing to maximum capacity. It was always rewarding serving your country and dealing with the many deployments and conflicts that the RAF were involved in. The workplace always had a relaxed but professional approach ensuring that the work we were carrying out was done within set time scales. The hardest part of the job was dealing with discipline within the section or regiment. My most rewarding aspect was informing junior ranks of upcoming promotions on reaching the set criteria.
Pros
Professional training
Cons
Maintaining strict Discipline
Propulsion Mechanic (Former Employee) –  England23 December 2017
As with all jobs you can get as much out of it as you put in to it and this applies really well with any branch of the Armed Forces. There are plenty of opportunities out there for everyone whether its the non commissioned or commissioned route you choose, the worlds your oyster!
Military Service
Telegraphist (Former Employee) –  Various22 December 2017
Served with the Royal Air Force for just short of 10 years having joined up before I was 18 years old.

Stationed at various locations around the United Kingdom.
Exceptional
Fleet Manager/Technical Adviser (Current Employee) –  Worldwide13 December 2017
There is no typical day at work, everyday can be new and challenging.
The nature of working within a military environment has many pros and cons notwithstanding this the culture and ethos always remains.
Pros
To numerous to mention
Great career
Attained the level of Supervisor/Manager (Former Employee) –  Stafford, Staffordshire9 December 2017
I had a fantastic time within Royal Air Force and had a 22 year career that allowed me to visit so much of the world whether it be on exercise or to war. life changing experience..
Pros
Too many to list
Cons
fantastic years of my life
Personnel Support (Former Employee) –  Oxfordshire8 December 2017
I had an amazing time whilst in the RAF. I had opportunities and did things I would have never been able to do in an ordinary job. I do not regret any of my time spent in this type of work.
Productive, fast paced and great culture
Senior Air Woman (Former Employee) –  Honington8 December 2017
The most satisfying job you could apply for.
Travel opportunities, life experience gained is invaluable.
Fast paced and fun and the comradery and morale is always of a high standard.
Cons
Medical Problems such as PTSD may be incurred.
Challenging
Aeronautical Engineering (Former Employee) –  Cosford4 December 2017
Through basic training you would be busy from 4:30am until 11pm depending on how much kit you had to get ready. A lot of team building activities took place through out the day. I learnt to be more confident in working with other people and meeting other people around the country. I also learnt on my time management to get it perfect in order to pass out of basic training.
I then went onto phase 2 training where I did Survival Equipment Training.
A force with a purpose
Head Logistics Development (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol21 November 2017
I had a thoroughly good time with the RAF which is why I remained for 32 years. At the higher ranks, the pay was very good an the pension, which I already receive, is excellent. It is a way of life, varied and exciting. Individuals have to retire at 55
Pros
Varied and exciting
Cons
An inspiringly place to work
Contact Centre Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire14 November 2017
I have worked with the RAF Association for a few years now and can truly say that the Association is a wonderful place to work for an extremely amazing cause.
Great for single people and people who like drinking
Logistics Caterer, Bar manager (Former Employee) –  Wittering, Cambridgeshire13 November 2017
My experience wasn't so great being a family man and not really being a big drinker I was unsuited for life in the RAF. Also in my job role the management was fairly poor and inconsiderate to the staff and their mental well being.
Brilliant Career.
Typhoon Maintenance Bay (Former Employee) –  Lincolnshire12 November 2017
When I undertook work experience with the RAF, it gave me a great idea on how good a career in the RAF could be. The benefits and lifestyle seem amaxing and I would love to join up someday.
productive fun workplace
Mechanical Technician (Former Employee) –  Marham, Norfolk6 November 2017
a good trade to learn with good opportunities for advancement. if you make the most out of the sports and higher education courses available you will earn a grate wage for furthering your career.
Pros
good people, grate oppertunitys
Cons
parades, no overtime pay
Excellent career prospects and and a very good working environment
Flight Sergeant (Former Employee) –  Various Units5 November 2017
A very enjoyable 25 years career within the Royal Air Force (RAF) an environment where you are taught a trade, of your choice and where you have a career development plan.
Pros
Career Development
Cons
Possible posting to a War Zone