Royal Air Force Employee Reviews

Disappointed it wasn't what I thought it was going to be
Firefighter (Former Employee) –  Oxford, Oxfordshire11 August 2018
Joined the RAF with the idea of having a full 22 year military career. Unfortunately it wasn't to be, the government are just making too many cuts which has meant for my generation a full career in the RAF is not as appealing as it once was.
Pros
Adventure training
Cons
LONG LONG hours
Have a great time
RAF Steward (Former Employee) –  Hereford, Herefordshire9 August 2018
Once you are signed on the dotted line, your life is the RAF's. But that does not mean that it is bad. No, it means, that at first it seems hard and you are doing lots of things that you do not do at home. But once you pass out of basic training and go on to do your trade training, then you find it to be a lot of fun, with new friends made and new places to go and see. For a decent honest job, that gives rewards and job satisfaction, then this is where you could look. There are lots of jobs in the RAF, so again there is some thing for every one.
Pros
Free uniform
Cons
Once signed, you are in for that length of time.
i miss being in the RAF
Corporal (Former Employee) –  uk8 August 2018
my best job so far, due to personal reasons i had to leave absolutely loved working within the RAF, i travelled the world and learned so many things that i now bring to a future work place
Logistics Supplier (Former Employee) –  Oxfordshire3 August 2018
I was always very busy and made sure I kept it that way. The social life was entertaining and I met a lot of people and made many friends. I was very lucky to have my skills noticed and be tasked with high profile projects, many taken on by personnel of higher ranks. I am always happy to take on new challenges and test myself.
Pros
Sport, regular wage, job satisfaction, social life and meeting new people.
Cons
Rate of pay, communication, promotion, lack of knowledge from some superiors, assessment system, discipline.
An enjoyable career choice
Maintenance Controller (Current Employee) –  Brize Norton2 August 2018
Having completed almost 24yrs Service, I have seen myself develop from a Propulsion Mechanic stripping & building gas turbines for Tornado aircraft to an Engineering Manager with 40+ engineers & mechanics in my Area of Responsibility.
If you want a rewarding career, especially in Aircraft Engineering, with unique opportunities then consider joining the RAF.
Pros
Accommodation, free dental & health care, great gym facilities on all stations, global travel, camadradie, excellent training, self-responsibility, opportunities for further education, transferable skills on completion of Service
Cons
Working away for 4+ months a year, underpaid trades when compared to civilian equivalent, accommodation needs improving, messing facilities are below par since introduction of Pay As You Dine, latest pension scheme not as beneficial as previous schemes
The Job
Gunner (Part-Time) (Former Employee) –  Lossiemouth24 July 2018
Started this job as a starter to a full time job in the RAF which didnt happen in the end due to other circumstances. Really enjoyed my time here met really nice people and everyone is so accepting of each other due to many people with different abilities. This job taught me so much around how the RAF work on the ground when in combat. Taught me about the rifles they use and how to dismantle clean and reassemble them .
Social and payment
Royal Air Force regiment (Former Employee) –  RAF leeming17 July 2018
The military as on the social side is quality, you’ll make friends for life and money is good because your always getting a constant pay, if you work away from your unit you’ll get extra money for doing it.
Pros
Pension, bonuses on work away from unit, social side
Cons
Poor management at time
Work Experience Placement
Work Experience Placement (Former Employee) –  Lyneham raf base30 June 2018
Days 1 / 2 i worked with the RAF police looking after the police dogs and going around on patrol making sure the air base was secure.

Day 3 i worked in the engineering supply depot boxing and putting items into storage.

Day 4 i worked in supply again working in the clothing stores.

Day 5 was cancelled due to emergency.
Pros
Various roles.
Cons
only work experience
Very interseting and worthwile career.
Aircraft Electrical Technician (Former Employee) –  Wiltshire24 June 2018
Great group of people who work very well as a team.
Many great careers to choose from ( Aircraft engineering being my choice)
Great chance for education and career progression.
Great chance to try new sports and travel the world.
Pay and benefits also not to bad.
Cadet
Air Cadet (Former Employee) –  Bury22 June 2018
Fun place to help you learn about aviation. It's a shame that after the first 2 years, opportunities lessened and I was no longer learning or gaining from the subscription fee I paid.
Mixed
Senior Aircraftsman (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom21 June 2018
You have heirarchy with favoured yet unskilled personnel who they will fight to get promoted but can't see past the flirtatious ways of the women. Skill is overlooked. They care more about if you do a sport to be promoted other than the job you can do.
Pros
Dental, prescriptions free. Housing low cost
Cons
Huge blame culture.
Its the miltary
Aircraft maintenance mechanic (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, Lincolnshire21 June 2018
Not one job is the same, youre working on some of the best fighter jets in the world. You could be sent anywhere in the world really some fancy places some grim places. P.S. Unfortunately you may pay with your life for a mission that may not be morally right
Interesting, varied and enjoyable work
Personal Administrator (Former Employee) –  Glasgow17 June 2018
Very busy job, great if you get the right management (reason i left).
Other Squadrons i worked in where amazing. Would do it all again but in a different Squadron.
Pros
Free gym at work
Military
RAF Administrator (Former Employee) –  Worldwide8 June 2018
Served in the Royal Air Force for twenty years in the United Kingdom and overseas. Worked with some great people in small to large teams. I was promoted to Corporal and was in charge of up fifteen personnel. The good thing about it was travelling to different countries, the work place and culture was varied depending on where I was posted to, the hardest part sometimes was working long hours and weekends
Cons
Long Hours
Good
Flight Operations Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wittering, Cambridgeshire5 June 2018
My time in the Royal Air Force (RAF) was spent as a Flight Operations/Air Traffic Control Assistant. During this time, I served at 4 different bases in the UK and abroad. My time in the RAF really helped me to grow as an individual and leader and turned me into the highly motivated worker that I am today.
Loved being in the Royal Air Force
Storeman (Former Employee) –  Bracknell3 June 2018
Loved being in the Royal Air Force. Was young at the time the work was varied. Unfortunately I was posted to a very small unit, not ideal for a young person especially as most of the other staff were married and lived off camp.
Pros
I was almost my own boss and could move about freely
Cons
The wages were not great.
Variable challenges on a daily basis
Engineering Manager (Current Employee) –  Wiltshire30 May 2018
Variety and opportunity of travel, both national and international mean that no two days are seldom the same.
Workplace culture is good and generally there is a slightly different sense of humour when compared to the civilian world due to the very nature of some of our activities.
The hardest part of the job, though it is becoming easier is getting people to change. This does present a challenge in itself and teaches you to adapt your selling style to your particular audience.
Plenty of training available though I would personally recommend anyone to align it with civilian qualifications
Pros
Free gym, free dental, free medical, free parking opportunity to travel
Cons
There are times when you will miss family occasions due to Service requirements
Great job if your single
Logistics driver (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London29 May 2018
Excellent for welfare and family. Money is not too good and the benefits are slowly disappearing. Great if your single, get the right trade and you can travel the world.
Pros
Travelling, welfare and culture
Cons
Salary and bonus
used to be great
Logistician (Former Employee) –  Oxford21 May 2018
when i first started it was a brilliant job but after many cut backs and new rules and regs its not the military it used to be. if it went back to the good old days id be back in a shot but these days no way
Passionate and professional Team Values
FTRS Manager of Adventurous Training (Current Employee) –  RAF Coningsby20 May 2018
The RAF has been a huge part of my life and has made me the man I am today. The Core values engendered, lead to exceptional teams and individuals. The qualifications given on completion of Basic and Trade training ensure your day to day tasks run smoothly.
The opportunity to travel is vast, whether conducting Adventurous Training and developing your own personal qualities, or when deployed, serving your country.
Pros
Work - life balance, travel.
Cons
there are no cons