Royal Air Force
Here to help
Coronavirus update

Royal Air Force Employee Reviews

United Kingdom719 reviews
A typical day at work would include me briefing staff what jobs I would like completed through that day this can sometimes be more difficult depending on the experience I am briefing. I have learned many things through my time in the Royal air Force like how too use computer systems with very little or no training I have also learned how to store and issue dangerous goods and used these skills in some of the most stressful dangerous environments in the world.during my time in the royal air force i have managed up to 20 personnel at anyone time this at times has been difficult with different personalities and very different experience levels. The hardest part of my job would be storing explosives due to lots of regulations to consider. The most enjoyable part would have been training and mentoring new recruits and seeing them develop over the years and hopefully get them promoted. I have also enjoyed the diverse nature of logistics within the Royal Air Force I have dealt with audits, storage of fuels, receipting and dispatching many different kinds of goods and many more areas of logistics
Pros
job security, very good wages & you can see the world whilst working
Cons
separated from loved ones for long periods
it is an ok job. I like it. Pay is good, Bosses are not good. Culture is bad. Work life balance is not the best, away from home a lot. Hard to leave the air force.
My work experience placement at RAF Odiham was interesting, and gave me a taster of what day-to-day work in the Royal Air Force is like, I enjoyed myself thoroughly, and wish to join the Royal Air Force
Pros
Hands on experiance with professional instruction.
Cons
N/a
If I had my time again I would sign up tomorrow as the work was so diversified and there was plenty of opportunity to travel to different parts of the world and sample there culture
Pros
Great team building and help to achieve goals professionally and own
Cons
Being away from family at times
The multi jobs i have had within the RAF has given me great life skills i have seen the world and tested my self.
I felt a highly valued and very effective member of a bigger team, teaching me a number of well-developed skill sets. I’m an now extremely organised and capable.
Great place to work, a great charity will a worthy charitable cause servicing the welfare needs of the RAF family both serving and veterans. I would recommend.
Challenging and unique place to work. It will push you to go beyond the limits you think you have as an individual, physically and mentally. An exciting and rewarding career with many opportunities.
Joining the RAF is life changing and gives you the opportunity to obtain qualifications, interesting roles and the ability to travel the world. Is confidence building and gives you the ability to progress. You can gain life skills, experience a diverse environment and by travelling to different places to learn a new language if you wish.

The life is challenging, however you get to meet new people every time you are posted to a new location and keep in touch with the ones you have met or worked with. The military as a whole allows you to have a common goal and teaches you how to work as a team or as an individual to the best of your ability.

With great pride I have served 22 years in the RAF as an RAF Medic and experienced many situations, however I will never regret signing on the dotted line as they say and would encourage others to do so.

The world is your oyster, make a different by joining up.
Have the ability to enhance profile by forms of education, sports, military course and rank progression whilst at the same time travel the world.
Gain new friends from different backgrounds and gain experiences some people may never experience in their life times.
Not a typical job as it can be more of a way of life which has taught and given me a great deal of experience that I hope to use in my future career.

The experience of 22 years in the Royal Air Force is one that I will always be grateful for.
Put me through all my driving licences up to class one . Definitely job security. See the world. Make great friends. Great satisfaction. Doing things you would not experience in civi street j
Pros
Job security
Cons
A life changing, fantastic experience. Every day is a different challenge allowing a varied and interesting day to day life. Excellent on the job training.
Working in the royal air force has its perks. Everyday you are faced with new challenges. You are required to be on point and ready for anything 24/7. Hardest part of being part of the Royal Air Force is the time spent away from home. However along the journer of a career you get to meet people from all over the country who become closest friends.
Jobs can vary from day to day whilst on unit with 6 months deployment every 3-4 years depending on your role. Normal working day 08:00 start - 16:30 finish lots of benefits free medical, dental most units have free gyms on site with lots of free clubs. Reasonable accommodation charges for single and families .
Caninvolve days of tedium followed by weeks of adrenaline. Can be described as a very unique work place with strong ethics and a culture of family.

Training is second to none and the opportunities to travel and advance in your career can be limitless.
Pros
Training and Ethos
Cons
Deployments
Good chance for going away on detachment. No job satisfaction, no real career prospects. Airforce will be joined with army soon enough.

Good work life balance and great mix of people to work with. Good locations in East of England for locations. Not great in West or Scotland.
A vocation and need to have focus, determination and drive and be physically and mentally fit .

Great opportunities for all ages - character building and doing a good worthwhile job preserving and maintaining our way of life. If you need direction - try it !
every day is different, you can not sum up a typical day. you could sit around for 8 hours one day, then work the hardest you ever have the next.

out of areas can be very stressful, 12 hour shifts with no days off and living in a sweat box with 3 other blokes - best hope you don't get a snorer!
This is a great company to work for. Very fair and good pay and perks. Understanding importance of family values and is unpredicted circumstances. Full ppe provided and support when required.
The modern Royal Air force can be a difficult place to work. The management will always try to get more out of you than can actually be achieved. We are stretched further now, around the world, with fewer resources. However, you learn great skills, work with some cutting edge technology and can gain lots of qualifications, not to mention life-long friends.
Pros
See the world and have a secure, well paid job.
Cons
Management are always pushing so they look good and get promoted.
Track Statistics; attend briefings; Drug prevention; collectors training; brief collectors, leadership and observers; budget; time management; Great atmosphere
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Royal Air Force. Our community is ready to answer.
4.3