Royal Air Force Employee Reviews

Passionate and professional Team Values
FTRS Manager of Adventurous Training (Current Employee) –  RAF Coningsby20 May 2018
The RAF has been a huge part of my life and has made me the man I am today. The Core values engendered, lead to exceptional teams and individuals. The qualifications given on completion of Basic and Trade training ensure your day to day tasks run smoothly.
The opportunity to travel is vast, whether conducting Adventurous Training and developing your own personal qualities, or when deployed, serving your country.
Pros
Work - life balance, travel.
Cons
there are no cons
work/life balance
Aircraft Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Coningsby, Lincolnshire19 May 2018
I found the raf a rewarding and challenging environment which I thrived in, I just cant get used to the lifestyle, to me it was more than just a job and it takes over your life.
Royal Air Force
General Duties / Stewardess (Former Employee) –  Biggin Hill, Stanbridge, Mount Pleasent, Falklands18 May 2018
This was the best thing I had ever done, it boosted my confidence and helped me work as part of a team. I travelled and learnt that i can adapt to many different situations when needed.
Good for security
Aircraft Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Lyneham, Wiltshire15 May 2018
Enjoyed my time in the Royal Airforce serving 2 years as an aircraft mechanic. Great opportunity to travel around and experience life in different locations and countries
Productive fun place to work and learn
Medic (Former Employee) –  Various13 May 2018
Loved being in the Royal Air Force
It taught me many many life lessons not just self discipline and team working.
I would recommend the armed forces to any young person looking to find themselves and have excellent opportunities.
Pros
Many
Cons
Few
Amazing Job
Human Resources Administrator (Former Employee) –  Coningsby, Lincolnshire11 May 2018
This was an amazing job and there was lots of opportunity for promotion and training to keep up with the opportunities available. Lots of opportunity for travel and working with other nations
N/a
SAN Storage Administrator (Former Employee) –  Mildenhall7 May 2018
worked as a temp while husband was on active duty.
I enjoyed the work, however it was not long term. I have worked as a Network Engineer or Networking most of my career and i was put though classes and certifications for NETApp and enjoyed it
military life
Flight Line Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Scotland5 May 2018
a good career cut short after 2 years. very good camaraderie at any station or squadron with all personnel. lots of opportunities to progress at all ranks.
Pros
training
Cons
sometimes long hours
see the world, join the team.
Cabin Crew Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Carterton2 May 2018
flying to exotic places in the world, so more so than others.
learn different skills including first on the scene first aid, management of crew,ordering catering for 300 passengers.
hardest part of the job is the different hours you work and adapting to different time zones. learn to deal with customers and resolve issues before they start.
Pros
free air travel
Cons
possible long days
good people
Driver (Former Employee) –  St. Andrews, Fife2 May 2018
Every day at work was different you always faced a new challenge. You will meet some amazing people who you will remember for the rest of your life and will see some amazing places.
all-inclusive
Airframes Technician (Former Employee) –  Cranwell29 April 2018
was just a kid out of school, taught me amazing life skills that have made me the person that I am today, the culture of the forces can be a difficult transition, but worth sticking at
rubbish
ICT communications infrastructure technician (Former Employee) –  Northallerton Central23 April 2018
working in the airforce is good ifg you do not have a family and are married. if you are not one of these then there anre no work life benifits from working therre
logistics driver
Logistics driver (Former Employee) –  Marham18 April 2018
a typical day would come in and drive anything and everything there was such as: HGV, LGV, coaches and Fuel. we would occasionally transport people to and from airports for operational purposes.
Pros
good wage
Excellent place to work
Aircraft Weapons Technician (Former Employee) –  RAF Wittering18 April 2018
The Royal Air Force is a way of live rather than just a job. I thoroughly enjoyed my 12 years and would recommend to anyone who wishes to serve their country.
Pros
Aeroplanes
Cons
Time away from family
great experience
Fireman/driver (Former Employee) –  RAF Fairford, Brize Norton and Finningley13 April 2018
Typical day at work was crew inspection, vehicle inspection, daily inspection run and refuel of vehicles. Repair and maintenance of fire fighting equipment around the station. Aircraft refuelling protection when required. Emergency call outs when required by Air Traffic Control. Practice crash fires at various map references in the local area. Domestic fire cover during non flying hours.
Learned about fire fighting in particular an airfield environment. Also extinguishers, risk assessments, H&S, tactical off road driving.
Good disciplined situation with great camaraderie.
Mentally Destructive
Aircraft Technician Mechanic Training (Former Employee) –  Cosford9 April 2018
Low Moral and poor work life. All benefits taken away.
Replaced serving personal with civilian counterparts, who earn more and have less responsibilities.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Treated Poorly
Excellent fun, great culture and training
Intelligence Analyst (Former Employee) –  Worldwide5 April 2018
I've served 10 years with the RAF as an Intelligence Analyst and I'm leaving in the next few months. I've been to places most people will never see and done things that most people will never know about; I've met a great bunch of people and received world-class training.

There comes a time to move on, and that's where I'm at now. But in all honesty, I could happily stay.

To fully make the most of a career like this, you must be prepared to push yourself and put yourself out there. This is not the job to do if you want a 9-5 where you can go home every weekend. And that's what makes it so fun.
Pros
Great benefits, experiences, travel
Cons
Long hours occasionally, work-life balance not always great
Great for seeing the world
Avionic and Electrical Technician (Current Employee) –  Odiham, Hampshire5 April 2018
The most enjoyable part of the job is being hands on and seeing different parts of the world. The hardest part of the job is being away from family and loved ones for long periods of time.
Pros
playing sport and seeing the world
Cons
no overtime salary, being away from home, poor bonuses
Demanding but Adaptable
Officer (Former Employee) –  Lincolnshire5 April 2018
The RAF provides a platform to work in varied environments in a variety of job roles.

Air Traffic Control is a shift work rotation, and the atmosphere depends on which station you happen to be working at. Most are calm and relaxed, interspersed with periods of high activity. I never met an unprofessional ATC.

Training is a pain, and not related to the job role you eventually become, and there is widespread ridicule for the IOT program as it stands, but there are signs that it will be updated to reflect the roles of the RAF in future.

The hardest part of the job is the volatility, but that's also the best part of the job because you are constantly able to have new experiences. The benefits package is comprehensive, although the pension is consistently at risk.
Pros
Benefits package incl. subsidised housing
Cons
Inconsistent admin, contractors are awful, poor living standards
Best last 12 years of my life
missile warning & space surveillance (Former Employee) –  Raf Fylingdales4 April 2018
Last 12 years service were without question my very best. A great and worthwhile job, never two days the same. constantly on the go. I excelled at this place and loved every second of it. Made many friends their but more like a great big family.
Pros
always things to do
Cons
can feel your isolated in the winter