Rowlands Pharmacy Employee Reviews

Very poor place to work
Pharmacy Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wrexham, Wrexham3 November 2018
Rowlands used to be an amazing company to work for but they have completely run themselves into the ground! Staffing levels are ridiculous low as everyone is leaving and management couldn't care less!!! The rate of pay is shocking considering the job role and responsibilities you have to take on! Some branches have no concept of the meaning "team". I would avoid working for Rowlands like the plague! Some of the customers are absolutely vile and can make threats to personal safety, which again management couldn't care less about! Shocking place to work!
Pros
Cons
Long hours, lack of staff and lack of support from management, underpaid.
From heroes to zeroes
Delivery Driver (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Kendal, Cumbria20 January 2019
Within the space of a year,Rowlands have gone from a company I was proud to work for to an absolute shambles.In August 2017, I was presented amongst other things with a plaque having completed 10 years service.This was done by the area manager,a regular visitor to the branch.Roll forward 12 months and she had been replaced by a dreadful woman who we never saw.The drivers have had their hours cut from unlimited to 1.5 hours a day using their own cars.Both drivers have therefore resigned along with two dispensers, in the space of a fortnight.All this without any consultation from the area manager or HR team
Pros
Excellent work colleagues, some sadly moved elsewhere
Cons
No commmunication from management, unrealistic working hours
Absolutely awful company
Dispensing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wrexham, Wrexham25 August 2018
Where do I start?
The company just treat you like a number, no matter how long you have worked for the company. There is no respect or thanks given to any of the staff whatsoever - staff are now being replaced by a robot. A robot that doesn't even work properly! So staff are expected to go the robots job on no staff as they have got rid of the staff, Rowlands have lost really good staff due their lack of respect. Changes are being made - for the worse!! I would advise anyone to never work got this company because there is no support, management is non existent and your paid next to nothing for all the hard work you put in!! You will never be thanked by anyone in Rowlands!!! STAY AWAY FROM THE COMPANY.
Pros
None at all
Its work
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Wales5 December 2018
A busy pharmacy making up prescriptions, preparing venalinks, making and answering phone calls, serving customers, checking blood pressures( customers) date checking, cleaning. doing a cd balance, MURS flu jabs...done by pharmacist, minor ailments also completed by pharmacist etc. I have learnt a lot by completing NVQ2 and NVQ3. Head office haven't got much clue about what its like in the shops in my opinion. Hardest part of the job are difficult customers but they are out weighed by the many lovely customers we had.
Pros
nice collegues and customers
Cons
more and more pressure for services
Close team
Pharmacy assistant (Former Employee) –  Cheshire11 December 2018
Help with customers in the shop with purchases and advice.
Stock control and ordering of the shop floor and pharmacy.
Receive prescriptions from patients and fulfil them ready for the pharmacist to check and sign off.
Ordering of prescriptions for patients from the surgeries.
Meet with any reps that came in for meetings
Filing of prescriptions at the end of the day
Month end prescription audits and submissions
End of day cashing up of the shop tills and banking.
Customers great but members of staff very cliquey.
Trainee Pharmacy Dispenser (Former Employee) –  Stockton-on-Tees11 January 2019
Enjoyed working here and built up good relations with the regular customers but when it came down to the staff, well let's just say when the proverbial hits the fan and your an "outsider", they certainly stick with their own, that's all I can say. Made me feel welcome at first but soon pushed me out. Rowlands isn't a bad company to work for but like most you are just a number.
Pros
No day the same
Cons
Cliquey staff
Enjoyable and outstanding team work
NVQ3 Technician (Current Employee) –  Pharmacy Southsea13 May 2018
open up shop, set up computer system, check fridge temperature log them on computer, count check and file prescriptions. log all figures on computer to send to head office. print and label blue prescriptions for our daily patients. we have an electronic prescriptions system which encounters white prescriptions we print of and dispense on a daily basis. and all other NVQ3 qualified tasks.
date check medicines on a regular basis making sure I rotate the stock.
Have morning meetings with staff and management, for job rolls needed.
Hardest part of the job is when we are short staffed and there is no cover.
Day to day team work with the girls.
Pros
Good working atmosphere.
Cons
Working hours have now been shortened due to cutbacks.
Lovely staff , awful company
Technician (Current Employee) –  Yorkshire9 November 2018
Dreadful staff morale , poor leadership from Head Office , unrealistic and unachievable targets which are quantity , not quality focused and you are bullied into achieving them at any cost . Not able to progress , do not want qualified staff , poor pay , poor working conditions and dangerous staff levels at times .
Pros
Customers and colleagues
Cons
Pretty much everything !!
Good working environment, excellent staff .
Delivery Driver Multi Drop Part time (Current Employee) –  Doncaster19 November 2018
Enjoyed my work at Rowlands Had plenty of positive feedback from customers, Enjoyed the delivery driver work, meeting people and feeling like I was helping the public , bringing a service to them.
Pros
Company van, Excellent relationship with staff and regular customers
Nice company
Pharmacy Dispenser (Former Employee) –  Sunderland10 February 2019
Worked in this service for 7 years I took a break to work from home but now my child is grown up it’s time to work again for a company. I enjoyed working in pharmacy.
Pros
Meeting people
pooly managed (wider management
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Formby15 January 2019
150 chararacters minimum. 150 chararacters minimum.

the local managers i.e shop managers were great but the managers of higher up positions were unrealistic.
great job
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  st john`s woking17 August 2018
delivering customers medication and controlled drugs creating a great customer service and trust with my customers I found it hard to walk away as I knew I would be the only one that they would see so I would spend 5/10 mins with them just to have a talk I knew I was on a tight schedule but that is the way I am and I enjoyed it I have 456 customer over 3 stores it was great to get to know them and hear about there lives
Pros
great
Cons
taken on because it was pt but working longer hours
Most unprofessional company I have come across
Dispensing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Devizes, Wiltshire8 December 2018
Where do I begin? This is the most unprofessional joke of a company I have come across. I have been here 18 months and the past 6 months have been unbearable. Firstly, staff leave and are not replaced and you are expected to do the jobs of about three different people all for measly minimum wage and stress levels that are not worth it. They no longer employ counter staff, so dispensers are expected to simultaneously concentrate on dispensing medication as well as serving customers. You are told to be upstairs at 08:55 every day to turn on computers but do not get paid until 09:00.

Management are also a joke. After staff left and we became 2 weeks behind with dispensing, managers came in and have implied that we were to blame for being lazy. Three of us received letters of 'concern' threatening further disciplinary action and even dismissal citing 'staff expectations and housekeeping procedures' as reasons when we have done nothing but worked hard. Not only do they not care about their staff, they instead leave us to it and then when things go bad they cannot wait to blame us. I work full time and every other Saturday and just because when asked to come in extra I said no, I was ignored by higher management when they visited and they childishly sulked with those of us who did not come in extra.

As a 19 year old, I am often left on Saturday nights to lock up alone or with a trainee dispenser. I did not want to be a key holder but was told I had to with no extra pay. I often worry and am very uncomfortable setting the alarms myself without a more senior member of staff
  more... present. If you try and voice your concerns they go unheard, management have no duty of care whatsoever and I have not had one appraisal or check-in throughout my 18 months of service. It is far too much responsibility for someone my age and on minimum wage. It is ridiculous. At lunchtimes you are left on the shop floor alone, expected to label and dispense walk-ins whilst also serving the constant queue of people.

Some customers are lovely, but some are so rude and nasty they make you go home in tears wondering why you put up with this job all for minimum wage. But for me, the worst part of the job is without doubt higher management trying to blame us for things getting behind when we are the only reason the shop is still open. I have been made to feel guilty like I have done something wrong and am berated for my 'bad attitude' by one store manager from another branch who I had only ever met once before. I am leaving as soon as I can and wish anyone wanting to work for this company the best of luck. They will need it.
Awful
Driver (Former Employee) –  Lancashire8 November 2018
In October 2018 Rowland's Pharmacies in Lancashire and presumably nationwide introduced a new working practice whereby 3 delivery drivers covering 3 pharmacies in one area was reduced to only 1 driver. This was supposed to be a trial period but they have now stated that this practice will be permanently implemented. Head Office Management never once discussed the plan directly with any of the drivers instead disseminated the information to local branch managers to enforce. This inevitably requires some drivers to lose their jobs only Rowland's have introduced such unworkable methods that drivers are simply walking out instead of waiting for possible redundancy processes to take place, if indeed there is even such a plan. An HR rep who reluctantly did come to speak to the drivers before the trial period, could not answer any of the pertinent questions put to her.
The current system now requires the single driver to conduct 73 delivery/collections per day which cannot be achieved by adhering to the legal speed limits in place but they simply do not care. They now take 30 minutes off for lunch break which is a joke as you literally eat on the move or fail to achieve. The consequences to the customer is that they are now waiting at least a week and a half for their medicines to be delivered and many customers are complaining or going elsewhere. Some customers are shouting at either shop staff or the driver directly and when directed to complain to Head Office, Head Office are then contacting counter staff and telling them to stop directing customers to them. Head Office do not
  more... care about any of their staff nor the customer. I am sure they are operating an unlawful staff reduction program by deliberately demoralising staff to the extent that they leave so that Rowland's does not have to fulfil employees contracts of employment. They are a disgrace and drivers are having to risk safety and Road Traffic Law all for National Minimum Wage.  less
Pros
Cons
Unreasonable workload requiring law breaking to achieve, Under paid. Treated like expendables.
poor company to work for
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Walsall20 November 2018
not a good company to work for.you are not valued as an employee. they cut your hours and don't care that you can't manage to live on what they offer you
Pros
Cons
too many
loads to learn
Dispensing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bangor28 November 2018
worked in one of the busiest branch the days go fast but the abuse off patient can be awful but worth it if you enjoy your job. good chance to gain qualifications
Stressful and Understaffed
Trainee Dispenser (Current Employee) –  Dorset2 September 2017
Wasn't able to complete my training due to being understaffed, no one was available to ask for help or even sign off my coursework.

Most staff members were lovely but stressed, and staff disagreements meant there was often a bad atmosphere. Staff issues and complaints were never resolved and often events were swept under the carpet.

I was often left to struggle through tasks I had not been trained to do, sometimes with only other trainees, locums and new staff members in the workplace.

Customers and patients were mostly rude, impatient, and would blame you for their own errors, doctor's errors, and pharmacy management errors. No support was given from others to help resolve issues.

Overtime was neccessary to get work done, especially with staff absences and busy periods.

Not worth minimum wage.
Pros
Good discounts and benefits scheme
Cons
Very badly run
Avoid at all costs
Dispensing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tyne and Wear8 May 2018
Run on skeletol staff
No training given whatsoever. Very little chance of completing course. Management are horrendous. No supporrt. Work all staff into the ground with no gratitude. Staff all Very unhappy
Cons
Minimum wage and over worked
Good job amazing customers, management and policies need looking at!
Pharmacy Assistant (Former Employee) –  north east16 January 2017
The work day was good, busy but that's all the fun! Good work/life balance, 9-6 working day Monday - Friday. Although never felt like I had complete job security. Very biased company, looking after only few favourite employees. Personal opinions affect managements decisions! Nothings ever followed up and no policy is clear.

Most enjoyable part would be the amazing customers and the pride you get helping them. Some turning into life long friends!
Pros
Hour lunch break
Cons
Miserable working environment
Rowlands
Pharmacy Dispenser (Current Employee) –  Llangollen29 July 2018
Our Services
At Rowlands Pharmacy, we offer a range of services to help keep you fit and healthy, whether it be travel vaccinations for your holiday or a flu jab this winter.
Pros
nice people
Cons
repetetive